• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

sturmdogg

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Fill up your codec slots with as many positive lines as you can (you may have to get more heroism points to unlock more) and use each on her twice or so (until that line doesn't trigger hearts over her head).

Dont forget to bring the
Love Box
Camera
and
Walkman

Oh, and wear
the Tuxedo

soldat7

Lafiel said:
Oh shit, i just found out there's a bunch of codec conversations in the briefings. How did i not realize this earlier? :lol

The codec conversations in the briefings are awesome. Lots of nods to the other Metal Gear games, boss tips, story elements/background, and other Kojima-isms. They're very well done and many of them are only available on certain missions.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
just finished chapter 5

what an awesome game dammit, is there more?

soldat7 said:
The codec conversations in the briefings are awesome. Lots of nods to the other Metal Gear games, boss tips, story elements/background, and other Kojima-isms. They're very well done and many of them are only available on certain missions.

I only discovered the Briefing files after the credits rolled :lol

Edit: They are amazing and give lots of hints and tips for bosses and such :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Augemitbutter said:
it's amazing how much story is in there delivered just via cassette tapes.

Yep. As I said previously, it's like listening to an overview of a whole new MGS saga based on
The Boss backstory (from WWII to Snake Eater).

In fact, I bet it's coming.

Slime

Banned
So I apologize if someone's already said this, and maybe I'm over-thinking it to begin with, but did anyone get the feeling that
the game's "chapter 5" was a red herring, and the "Chapter 5: Outer Heaven" the end credits mentioned is chapter five in the Metal Gear saga, Metal Gear Solid 5: Outer Heaven?

Or maybe I'm just an idiot.

kiryogi

Banned
Hrm question about strangelove...

Where can I find her tapes? I hear its in the story AIs but I haven't had any luck. Is it random?

Salaadin

Augemitbutter said:
i always wonder how people fail on such simple things,
my fingers must be from another world, the bar barely dropped.

Same for me. Just curious, but have you played other MGS games on the higher difficulties?
Personally, once I got past the Solidus choking scene in MGS2 on Extreme, Ive been unbeatable in these button mashing sequences. My index finger is a god that not even Kratos can kill.

54-46!

Bah, it's impossible to follow this thread with all the spoilers.. guess I'll have to finish it, how long is chapter 5?

kiryogi said:
Hrm question about strangelove...

Where can I find her tapes? I hear its in the story AIs but I haven't had any luck. Is it random?

as you're grabbing boards from an ai, when you move between the 4 banks, you'll sometimes see a triangle button notification appear in the lower right part of the screen. hit triangle when you see it, & you'll grab a tape...

Salaadin said:
I misread your post as "I ended up fucking Kojima about 40 hours into the game." I had to do a double take. Yeesh.

I found him on my first play through thanks to my brother. He
didnt remember the license plates so he randomly started picking trucks and got him that way. He told me immediately after

My first time in the parking garage, i remembered the number, so i ended up picking the right truck not realizing that there were hidden stuff in the other trucks. Later on in the game, you have to go back to that garage, and i went through them all there.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
semiconscious said:
as you're grabbing boards from an ai, when you move between the 4 banks, you'll sometimes see a triangle button notification appear in the lower right part of the screen. hit triangle when you see it, & you'll grab a tape...

You mean up on the D-pad, not triangle. Unless it depends on the controls scheme. I was on Shooter type.

I received a Doc from outer ops to make a Kampf pistole, but It doesnt appear on my list and I dont know what I need to do to make it... does anyone know?

soldat7 said:

And there's some seriously weird dialogues on par with the tripper MGS3 codecs, which makes me happy

Well, I was gonna try some Co op with Adhoc Party, but my PS3 is hooked up wirelessly. Sucks you have to have a wired connection to run it. Oh well, does anyone know a trick to get around that?

sotodefonk said:
I received a Doc from outer ops to make a Kampf pistole, but It doesnt appear on my list and I dont know what I need to do to make it... does anyone know?

i want to know about this too. i got it 20 hours ago, but it never appeared at R&D.

cjtiger300 said:
Well, I was gonna try some Co op with Adhoc Party, but my PS3 is hooked up wirelessly. Sucks you have to have a wired connection to run it. Oh well, does anyone know a trick to get around that?

I read somewhere yo could use a laptop.

1. Connect the laptop to the internet wirelessly, connect the ps3 to the laptop with a network cable (dont remember if it was normal or crossover).
2. Bridge your Wireless connection with your LAN connection.
3. ....
4. Profit! :lol

Maybe some gaffer can tell you more about it, I dont know exactly how is done.

Melhisedek said:
How long does this one take to finish and is there anything to do after you beat the main game? (not counting the Multi)

I expend like 35 hours to finish all 5 chapters, but I listened to all the "about mission" briefings. There is a lot of content after that though :D

Salaadin

cjtiger300 said:

I do something close to what sotodefonk just posted.

If you have a wireless card in your PC, you can run an ethernet cable from the PC to the PS3 and then goto the network settings on the PC. Highlight both the wireless connection and the wired connection options. Right click and goto "Bridge Connections". The PC will do the rest. Then just set your PS3 up as wired.

You can use your PCs internet like this but if your lucky and have a PC with a wiress card and 2 ethernet ports, you can bridge the wireless to one of the ports and then wire your PC with the other and have the best of both.

sotodefonk said:

I think your R&D team needs to be at level 84 before it show up. Has anyone beat Extra Ops 21 the cargo truck Op? If so, what weapon did you use? I try the M60 but the recoil makes it difficult.

mrkapawutzis said:
I think your R&D team needs to be at level 84 before it show up. Has anyone beat Extra Ops 21 the cargo truck Op? If so, what weapon did you use? I try the M60 but the recoil makes it difficult.

Well, looks like I need to get more R&D A-S soldiers :S

The Ex Ops 21 mmm.. I dont remember very well what exactly is... care to elaborate? Im at work and I dont have my PSP to check it. Does it is the one that you need to destroy 25 trucks before they pass?

any tips on taking out the commander of the assault transports? i can easily take care of all the soldiers with fulton mines and smoke grenades without being seen, but once the commander pops out, i can't tranq him without being seen and i usually die, losing all that painstaking progress. is there a good way to eliminate him without being spotted? preferably non-lethally so i can get the S rank and add him to my combat unit.

sotodefonk said:
Well, looks like I need to get more R&D A-S soldiers :S

The Ex Ops 21 mmm.. I dont remember very well what exactly is... care to elaborate? Im at work and I dont have my PSP to check it. Does it is the one that you need to destroy 25 trucks before they pass?

Extra OP 21 is the ones with the cargo trucks passing by I think. I used the LAW and RPG to blow up the trucks. They eventually come in bunches but when 1 explodes anything nearby also explode so some waves you gotta place a rocket strategically.

wtf at Extra ops 128. S-ranked that bitch the previous times but now its seems like it moves fast and does the charge attack even when not in rage mode.

Haven't used Snake since I found out I had a soldier with S-rank in guns and A ranks in set and thrown weapons, reloading and S-rank everything else. His fucking name is Gerbil though .

autobzooty said:
any tips on taking out the commander of the assault transports? i can easily take care of all the soldiers with fulton mines and smoke grenades without being seen, but once the commander pops out, i can't tranq him without being seen and i usually die, losing all that painstaking progress. is there a good way to eliminate him without being spotted? preferably non-lethally so i can get the S rank and add him to my combat unit.

Try using the sniper rifle that uses tranqs?

It can give you some distance since it can zoom.

Infinite Justice said:
Try using the sniper rifle that uses tranqs?

It can give you some distance since it can zoom.

That's what i've been trying, but between the recoil and the time it takes to load the next shot, it's too hard to fire off consecutive and accurate rounds. And after you knock his helmet off, he starts driving around like crazy, and he seems to be able to spot you from very far away if he's actively searching for you.

I'm considering dropping a smoke grenade at my feet and attacking him with the Mk. 22 and NVG. Not sure how effective that'll be though. It might even be worth equipping a combat shield since just a few shots from the vehicle can kill you in a sneaking suit.

autobzooty said:
That's what i've been trying, but between the recoil and the time it takes to load the next shot, it's too hard to fire off consecutive and accurate rounds. And after you knock his helmet off, he starts driving around like crazy, and he seems to be able to spot you from very far away if he's actively searching for you.

I'm considering dropping a smoke grenade at my feet and attacking him with the Mk. 22 and NVG. Not sure how effective that'll be though. It might even be worth equipping a combat shield since just a few shots from the vehicle can kill you in a sneaking suit.

The commander likes to stop and when he does he'll look around if you memorize the places he stops and the direction he looks you can get off 2-3 shots with the mk 22. For the tank and APV even though his back is covered by the hatch the tranq dart goes through.

Pimpbaa

Goddamn this game is addictive. I really hope they use this base building aspect in a future console MGS at some point.

heringer

Just bought the game. Now I'm waiting to arrive.

So, what's the veredict on the difficulty balance of the campaign playing solo?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
heringer said:

It's kind of annoying, but doable. The game no longer pauses when selecting weapons, and you easily run out of ammo on bosses (but there is a supply drop item).

Zen said:
So um Peace Walker
what am I suppose to do the second time I fight it
?

unleash a payload of rockets on it while it's trying to launch the nuke and eventually you'll distract it from its job. continue beating the shit out of it. it's a long and grueling battle and it doesn't really have a weak point. just do your best!

heringer said:

personally i wish it was harder, especially the stealth. the boss battles provide a decent challenge, especially in the end game, but sneaking just becomes a joke once you get the stealth suit and learn how to abuse hold-ups. i dont even have to try anymore.

has anyone had a bug where you cant change weapons in mission prep? im basically at the end of the game and its very strange to not be able to change anything...

soldat7

heringer said:

I'm about half-way through the game and I haven't had a single problem playing solo. In fact, it's kinda easy. Maybe it gets impossible during the latter-half of the game, but I haven't seen difficult yet.

d0c_zaius

I played through the whole game solo, and I don't see what the difficulty whines were about.

There were some challenging moments sure, but nothing that made me say "F this I'm waiting for friends".

Phatcorns

Was the product placement removed for the US version or something? I thought there were gonna be Doritos, axe and mountain dew but apparently not?

Top Bottom