• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey what do Heroism Points do for you?

And does S Ranking missions matter, other than to give you more Hero Points? I thought I was reading somewhere that you need to S Rank certain missions to open up other missions...? Is that right?

Also what's this I hear about another "post game ending" ? Do you have to do a certain something to unlock another ending after the main story missions?

It makes volunters, AP recruits, etc, to get better stats and when your Heroism Points go up, battle crys will unlock.

S ranking some mission gives you special weapons docs, camuflage, etc.

The post ending is chapter 5, is not linear like the previous chapters, but sometimes you can expend a lot of time in extra missions and not know what to do next...

Hint
The extra misions in chapter 5 are about Zabernov (dont remember the name) it will escape and you will have to find it... like 6 times, between every mission you will have to do 3 random ex ops battles to unlock the next main mission search. After the sixth, he will scape again, but you will have to make a functional Zeke, and equip it with a railgun (you get it from chrysalis) and then go to Ex Ops 01, find Zabernov on the second floor, and enjoy the "real" ending

ExtraKr1spy said:
Bring fully upgraded fulton system and mines. When you've used all of them use the support strike gun and they stop and you kill 2-4 enemies easily(hard to do full stealth on bosses since they have up to 28(most I've seen so far) backups. You can hold up the enemies and place C4 in between them so you can blow it up while hiding. Only other way I can think of doing a kill run without the fulton gustav is holding up/tranq the enemies and hope they get run over.

Finally S-ranked Ex ops 128, Took around 16 minutes(previous ex ops against that bastard took around 7). Reward item is fucking useless :/ since I've S-ranked the other Monster Hunter ops. Would have been useful if it was the reward for the first monster hunter ops but useless for the last.

it's not that feel a strong need to do a no-kill run (right now, anyways), it's just that I literally cannot complete it any other way. the vehicles just have too much armor and i'll run out of rations long before they're even close to dying.

with tools at my disposal right now, some of these ops feel impossible without a partner. maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i really can't think of any other way.

oracrest

I finally beat
the hind battle. I was having trouble with the constant barrage of backup soldiers, but then I tried just leaving the first group stunned, and that kept it just me and the Hind. A fun fight. So far the most frustrating and difficult too.

oracrest said:
I finally beat
the hind battle. I was having trouble with the constant barrage of backup soldiers, but then I tried just leaving the first group stunned, and that kept it just me and the Hind. A fun fight. So far the most frustrating and difficult too.

Wait for the ex ops :lol I feel like a bag of sand trying to solo them :S

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Man, the controls are completely broken on certain boss fights. The Chrysalis battle for instance. I have to switch using my DS2 on some of them so my hands don't turn into claws.

way more

oracrest said:
I finally beat

Unnecessary spoilers. Too much of this nullifies the entire premise of spoilers. I'm just singling you out because you are the most recent.

Zen

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Man, the controls are completely broken on certain boss fights. The Chrysalis battle for instance. I have to switch using my DS2 on some of them so my hands don't turn into claws.

The Chrysalis Battle is meat for you to use the homing rocket launcher, FYI, it's suppose to be very difficult to manually target. What other fights have you had problems with control wise?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
alr1ghtstart said:

I disagree that they're broken, but they do highlight why the controls really don't work on PSP.

I think the single thing that would make it better is if the camera LOCKED ON during Boss fights. What makes them so tough is constantly having to rotate the camera to find the boss as it moves around. My fingers get cramped after a few tries, it's not fun.

autobzooty said:
I'm having a problem on the 4 and 5 skull bosses in extra ops. I've gathered that the best/only way to beat them solo is through stealth, and that worked well so far, but I don't have enough fulton balloons to take care of everyone quietly. I've managed to make use of the fulton mines, but I don't think that will be possible for bosses where the enemies don't all pop out in the same place, since the fulton mine's area of effect wouldn't be large enough.

Without the knife, I feel kind of screwed as far as stealth eliminations go. I got so desperate that I tried just shooting dudes in the back of the head with a silenced weapon, but no dice. :lol

i've beat about 5 of those 5 skull vehicles so far alone. i don't use stealth for boss battles, just battle suit with helmet, 2 rocket launchers and an armor piercing machine gun for soldiers. same strategy as before, you just have to be more careful. 30 soldiers and some of those with RPGs are no cakewalk.

Adam Prime said:
I disagree that they're broken, but they do highlight why the controls really don't work on PSP.

I think the single thing that would make it better is if the camera LOCKED ON during Boss fights. What makes them so tough is constantly having to rotate the camera to find the boss as it moves around. My fingers get cramped after a few tries, it's not fun.

Nah that's not fun.

This is just like monster hunter fights and if you use shooter type it shouldn't be that hard.

Plus for Chrysalis once you have the Homing rocket Launcher your'e good and use chaffs to help you target it with normal rockets.

Checked my save and i'm near 20 hours and i'm just in Chapter 2 (
beaten Chrysalis
):lol but extra ops, mother base and outer Ops are fun.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
all of the bosses so far are pretty terrible (i'm in ch 3). Just blast the thing with rockets/call for new supplies/rinse/repeat. Hardly any strategy and unlike and MG bosses in past games. The game designed for co-op probably held back what they could design.

I'm in Chapter 3 currently, 17 hours in, and enjoying the game.
The only part I did not enjoy was the torture scene. My finger was hurting so badly after trying to press triangle rapidly those three times. The first time was okay, the second time was getting annoying, and the third time was just hellish. Totally made me despise Strangelove.

lastinline said:
I'm in Chapter 3 currently, 17 hours in, and enjoying the game.
The only part I did not enjoy was the torture scene. My finger was hurting so badly after trying to press triangle rapidly those three times. The first time was okay, the second time was getting annoying, and the third time was just hellish. Totally made me despise Strangelove.

I only did the torture scene twice, and i think I would of only did it once if I worked out how to escape before the guard got back. Not sure ill have to test it out later :D

But I didn't have much trouble just laid the PSP down flat and tapped, barely moved from the top. *shrug*

Enjoy the game its awesome.

Drac

DualShadow said:
I only did the torture scene twice, and i think I would have only did it once if I worked out how to escape before the guard got back. Not sure ill have to test it out later :D

But I didn't have much trouble just laid the PSP down flat and tapped, barely moved from the top. *shrug*

Enjoy the game its awesome.

If you're curious there is 3 different interrogation scenes with Strangelove, I redid this mission and waited to see them all. Seriously, if I can do this with my right hand (I'm left handed but for the third interrogation I had to change, and I'm about twice faster with my left) I really don't see how so much people have so much problem with this. Go play some track & field or some good old mario party game...

alr1ghtstart said:
all of the bosses so far are pretty terrible (i'm in ch 3). Just blast the thing with rockets/call for new supplies/rinse/repeat. Hardly any strategy and unlike and MG bosses in past games. The game designed for co-op probably held back what they could design.
o56xb5.gif

(if you're talking about AI bosses, fair enough but not for vehicle)

Slime

Banned
Can someone give me some tips for the
ZEKE
battle? Like, weapons and how developed they should be? I can only seem to take off a couple bars before I'm dead and without enough supplies, and not enough time to request more. Right now I'm using RPG2 Rank 1 Lv. 3 and RPG7 Rank 2 Lv. 3, if that helps.''

Edit: Nevermind. Developed the Carl Gustav and stayed on my feet. That was actually easier than I thought it'd be.

rockman zx said:
Chapter 5 extra bosses are so hard. I have 95% of the weapons available to me and they take forever to beat.

they have too much life, that's the only problem i have with those. they should've reduced their HP and make them harder for SP. 95% of all weapons seems alot, i took a look glimpse at my stats and many weapon types are still at 50% on my game.

EekTheKat

Augemitbutter said:
they have too much life, that's the only problem i have with those. they should've reduced their HP and make them harder for SP. 95% of all weapons seems alot, i took a look glimpse at my stats and many weapon types are still at 50% on my game.

I'd have to disagree, the difficulty/health level is actually fine. Those levels are basically a bump up from the previous vehicles levels. Those were actually the only levels that require a lot of pre-planning and proper weapon selection and weapon skill ups.

Some of those Ex Ops levels are there to act as a
roadblock to slow you down from unlocking missions with *really* powerful gadgets and weapons
If you're having problems with them solo, come back to them later when you pick up more powerful weapons. One thing that really helps in slugging it out with the later ExOps bosses is
The Battle Suit with Helmet - the damage reduction on this version of the suit was huge over the standard one

In fact, this game gets almost comically easy to just shoot it out after you get some weapons upgraded.

Also, a slight spoiler regarding end game weaponry and S ranks
You can still get S-rank on missions if you use the infinite bandana. That includes infinite Fulton Mines to silently take out soldiers, and infinite ammo for the C-Gustav to take on the AI weapons.

EekTheKat said:
I'd have to disagree, the difficulty/health level is actually fine. Those levels are basically a bump up from the previous vehicles levels. Those were actually the only levels that require a lot of pre-planning and proper weapon selection and weapon skill ups.

I have to agree with you. It feels awesome when you can solo one of those hard mission when you plan your moves and they work. Im still unable to solo those vehicle missions where soldiers respawn randomly over the map. Sometimes I hide, just to find out a soldier respawned behind me :lol

Also, do you know what tanks / vehicles are good to send to outer ops S++? I just send some random ones, and get destroyed on those missions :S need to get the battle suit with helmet but I cant pass any of those missions :S

EekTheKat

sotodefonk said:
I have to agree with you. It feels awesome when you can solo one of those hard mission when you plan your moves and they work. Im still unable to solo those vehicle missions where soldiers respawn randomly over the map. Sometimes I hide, just to find out a soldier respawned behind me :lol

Also, do you know what tanks / vehicles are good to send to outer ops S++? I just send some random ones, and get destroyed on those missions :S need to get the battle suit with helmet but I cant pass any of those missions :S

The first time I tackled one of those super hard missions solo, it took me around 45 minutes. The fight was so epic and I was on the edge of my seat towards the end.

Those missions are designed to be a challenge. They're by no means unbeatable but you do have to work for it.
IIRC they do not hinder story progression at all, so you can pretty much go back and do them after the endgame - where a lot of goodies unlock

As for Outer Ops, I tend to go with the best tanks I can get :lol
Custom variant tanks are top dog.
but oddly enough
I've noticed built up 9999hp/9999psyche soldiers with kampf pistols also work nicely in outer ops missions.

From what I've noticed, choppers get torn to shreds in S++ missions, APC's as well. A well
built up soldier tends to have fairly high survivability, and sometimes they're only wounded instead of perma dead/deactivated

Slight tip if you're going for the bonuses in Outer Ops : there's an element of randomness to which rewards you get in Outer Ops, so unless you get fairly lucky you will most likely have to send them to the same mission more than one time.

i tend to get bored with the 5 skull vehicles after a while, because you basically use the same tactics as before, it just takes forever now. there are so many of those missions too.

i love how huey says: you're going at them alone? are you out of your mind? when you're about to beat them.

I wish there was like an extreme difficulty setting you could activate after finishing the game. Most of the story missions are just pie after you get Rank 3 weapons, but I guess breaking the game is part of the fun after you bust your ass with shitty gear for the first 15 hours.

Using Fulton Mines in boss battles:

Hold up 4 guards in quick succession, and place a mine in the middle of the group, then remotely detonate it with your Mk 22.

Augemitbutter said:
i tend to get bored with the 5 skull vehicles after a while, because you basically use the same tactics as before, it just takes forever now. there are so many of those missions too.

i love how huey says: you're going at them alone? are you out of your mind? when you're about to beat them.

Yeah, I'm in the middle of a tank fight in the trainyard, I have my strategy down well enough so that I never get hit, but it takes forever. What the fuck, are these battles balanced for 4 players and not scaled down for one? I'd like to sneak around and do it the stealthy way but I can rarely get every soldier in the later battles with like 30 of them, and it's infuriating when I get caught after 15 minutes and have to end up fighting the tank anyway.

Just finished the game,
still have Chapter 5 to do,
and I have to say this game surprised me. I knew it'd be good but not this good. I loved everything about it, the Mother Base management, the Outer Ops, the Weapons and Item development and the story. I'm really impressed at what Kojima and his team were able to do with the PSP, I loved the boss battles
the peace walker battle was amazing
This is, without a doubt, MGS5!

GoncaloCCastro said:
Just finished the game,
still have Chapter 5 to do,
and I have to say this game surprised me. I knew it'd be good but not this good. I loved everything about it, the Mother Base management, the Outer Ops, the Weapons and Item development and the story. I'm really impressed at what Kojima and his team were able to do with the PSP, I loved the boss battles
the peace walker battle was amazing
This is, without a doubt, MGS5!

well said (& couldn't agree more). the cohesiveness of the multiple elements & mechanics in pw rivals that of just about any game i can think of...

Salaadin

Its kinda shitty that this wasnt called MGS5 because now theres probably going to be another MGS5 which would then mean that this cant be MGS5 anymore :(

But I agree. It really feels like the right step in a great direction for the series. It just works well whether you want to play for hours or only put in 10-20 minute spurts. Its easily the best PSP game Ive ever played and probably will be my GOTY

Varth

I'm getting a bit perplexed reading: is there a way to see all this game has to offer other than to buy a guide or searching the web? I searched some things out of curiosity regarding the monster hunter and
zadornov
missions, and the
zeke fight
, and they look like something you could never, ever come across, even mastering the game.

Every damn time I read this thread it looks like there's something new.
What do I have to do? Does S-ranking all story and extra missions help?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Varth said:
I'm getting a bit perplexed reading: is there a way to see all this game has to offer other than to buy a guide or searching the web? I searched some things out of curiosity regarding the monster hunter and
zadornov
missions, and the
zeke fight
, and they look like something you could never, ever come across, even mastering the game.

Let me just ditto this question and also ask: What does my Intel Squad do for me?

Also what kind of rewards do you get for the Outer Opts missions? That part of the game... maybe I just don't get it but it's boring since you don't see any real action take place. I'm considering not bothering even going into that menu after every mission. I'm only unlocking cammo that I'm not going to use.

EGM92

Question!

I finished the game, freakin' awesome as always. I'm trying to do all the outter ops missions some the the S++ missions have ALL TANKS! Some of the damns do 3000+ damage while mine don't even come close and are alway missing unless they machine gun. Is possible to upgrade these?

Gotta get this off my chest-- its so frustrating when you're trying to fulton a dying soldier in the heat of battle and you end up reloading. Its way too sensitive as to which way you're facing and the radius in which you can initiate fulton from the body is way too small.

Varth said:
zadornov
missions, and the
zeke fight

zadornov: the last mission is hard to clear without any hints, i agree. i didn't see any throughout the whole game myself.

for the monster hunter missions you actually get hints from your soldiers. some will tell you where to look for a cat, but it's hard enough nonetheless.

S ranking extra missions will net you unique items sometimes, it will also boost your heroism.

not sure about extra items for S in story missions.

Adam Prime said:
Let me just ditto this question and also ask: What does my Intel Squad do for me?

Also what kind of rewards do you get for the Outer Opts missions? That part of the game... maybe I just don't get it but it's boring since you don't see any real action take place. I'm considering not bothering even going into that menu after every mission. I'm only unlocking cammo that I'm not going to use.

you'll get extra items and ammo, not only camo.

EGM92 said:
Question!

I finished the game, freakin' awesome as always. I'm trying to do all the outter ops missions some the the S++ missions have ALL TANKS! Some of the damns do 3000+ damage while mine don't even come close and are alway missing unless they machine gun. Is possible to upgrade these?

some vehicles will be stronger later in the game, you can use those for the S++ outer ops.

infinityBCRT said:
Gotta get this off my chest-- its so frustrating when you're trying to fulton a dying soldier in the heat of battle and you end up reloading. Its way too sensitive as to which way you're facing and the radius in which you can initiate fulton from the body is way too small.

Agreed, especially if you're reloading a freaking heavy machinegun and a heli's shooting missiles at you :/

finished the
rex fights back mission with S rank, this was the toughest fight for me in the whole game. was that the last of the MH missions?

I'm getting a 5005 error that says "You can't play in this room because of your connection type" when attempting to play ad-hoc party games, it says to check the manual but the stupid thing can't load the webpage. I was playing co-op just fine a couple days ago, no idea what could've gone wrong. Anyone know what the problem is?

anddo0

Stupid question; how do you S-rank extra ops 14? I can get a "A" rank, but can't figure out how to disable or get around those
bombs

Also, my Zeke has all his parts.. Is there any reason to continue framing? The only thing I may need more of is armor but I've only been able to get one drop so far.

Finished the story just now. MGS5 baby!!

A worthy addition to the Metal Gear franchise.

Best psp game ever.

One of the best MGS games ever (don't make me rank them).

Character spoiler:

Otacons dad! So cool being introduced to him and seeing his backstory.

Otacon is only 34 years old in MGS4. I think I saw it said his year of birth was 1980. Thought he was older than that.

Zen

Banned
criesofthepast said:
Finished the story just now. MGS5 baby!!

A worthy addition to the Metal Gear franchise.

Best psp game ever.

One of the best MGS games ever (don't make me rank them).

Character spoiler:

Otacons dad! So cool being introduced to him and seeing his backstory.

Otacon is only 34 years old in MGS4. I think I saw it said his year of birth was 1980. Thought he was older than that.

One thing I dislike about Otacons dad, beside the completely hokey inclusion into the story that doesn't have any originality, is that he's basically a clone of Otacon, from how he looks, to how he's written, and especially the voice acting. It wouldn't have killed them to be a bit more creative, but it came off as a very lazy and unoriginal.

way more

Fuckity
fuck
fuck.
I
just
lost a
15+
minute
battle
with
a
tank
because
I
forgot
to
switch
to
rations.
These
missions
have
gone
from
challenging
to
simply
being
endurance
runs.
But
I
do
the
stats of
the
captured
leaders
and
they
are
surprisingly
easy
to
tranq.
Do yourself
a
favor
and
collect
those
dudes

Oh,
how
do
you
get
S
rankings
on
Zeke
part
hunts?
Is
it
just
time?

how can i get head parts of AIs? My zeke was destroyed on outer ops, and I cant get a single head part to build a new one... do I need to damaghe some area? do i need to fight a certain AI?

sotodefonk said:
how can i get head parts of AIs? My zeke was destroyed on outer ops, and I cant get a single head part to build a new one... do I need to damaghe some area? do i need to fight a certain AI?

If i remember correctly you get head parts by aiming for the ai pod.

Works for all.

Infinite Justice said:
If i remember correctly you get head parts by aiming for the ai pod.

Works for all.

Hmm, does it have to be 100% pod damage and nothing else? Not seen any alternate head parts yet.

anddo0 said:
Stupid question; how do you S-rank extra ops 14? I can get a "A" rank, but can't figure out how to disable or get around those
bombs

They're claymore mines and go off if you're in front of them, crawl round behind them and press action when the icon appears to pick them up.

Branson

Quick question, Whats the best way to
get armor parts for Zeke? Also to complete zeke you have to get all of the optional and main parts collected and put on right?

Vagrant

Graphics Horse said:
Hmm, does it have to be 100% pod damage and nothing else? Not seen any alternate head parts yet.

Just avoid damaging the head. I think if it has 90% or more health than you have a chance of getting it. You can check the health by scanning it (or checking the stat screen if your analyzer is ranked up enough). You should get scrap parts to make a new head.

chapter 5 extra op spoilers:
If you fight the extra op custom AI's and don't damage their head you have a chance of getting their actual head instead of scrap. These will give Zeke new attacks. For example Chrysalis' head lets him shoot missiles, and in outer ops he can target like five units at a time. You can also get Peace Walkers legs by not damaging those in the custom fight.

Branson said:
Quick question, Whats the best way to
get armor parts for Zeke? Also to complete zeke you have to get all of the optional and main parts collected and put on right?

Fight Cocoon and avoid damaging the armor plates or arm thing. Basically avoid shooting anything that shows a purple C when you hit it and you'll have a chance of getting it. Getting all the main parts and optional parts won't be enough to complete Zeke, you'll need to keep playing.

Vagrant said:
chapter 5 extra op spoilers:
If you fight the extra op custom AI's and don't damage their head you have a chance of getting their actual head instead of scrap. These will give Zeke new attacks. For example Chrysalis' head lets him shoot missiles, and in outer ops he can target like five units at a time.

Ah it's the extra op ones, that's what I was missing, thanks. I think I read that somewhere and forgot already. Didn't know about the legs though :eek:

Top Bottom