• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

SumGamer said:
Sorry if it's been posted before (this thread is massive)

Do I have to beat the game to unlock
Monster Hunter ops and A.Creeds' hay box?

I have seen the condition to unlock them from the Japanese version but unsure if it's still in the US version of the game since I cant get it to work.

You have to play all Chico's briefing files, or the ones related to UMA's. I'm not sure when all of those are unlocked. There's an extra ops mission where Miller says 'Don't get lost', go to the beach from there. I hope that's right, don't remember him saying it anywhere else.
The hay box just needs to be collected from the mining village, this trailer shows you how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-QN-MPKEbg

I couldn't immediately find in the in-game tutorials but what exactly is the benefit to getting A-Ranks on missions and such as well as Heroism points? (besides overwhelming wave of awesome that hits you with completion of 0 detects/0 alerts/0 kills)
Feel silly as I'm put about 4 hours into this now and haven't exactly figured it out =P

GAME IS FUCKING AMAZING THOUGH!

If it keeps this up, it's already my favorite MGS next to MGS3

AgentOtaku said:
I couldn't immediately find in the in-game tutorials but what exactly is the benefit to getting A-Ranks on missions and such as well as Heroism points? (besides overwhelming wave of awesome that hits you with completion of 0 detects/0 alerts/0 kills)

I hope you mean S ranks ;)

I don't know what exactly but I think some missions unlock things when you get an S rank (add a fast completion time to your list above)

Graphics Horse said:
I hope you mean S ranks ;)

I don't know what exactly but I think some missions unlock things when you get an S rank (add a fast completion time to your list above)

So basically Fastest completion time + 0/0/0 = S-Rank?

duckroll

Man, after 51 hours of PW, I realized I never found the Assassin Straw Box. Thanks to the post above, I just got it and it's a TON of fun to mess with. Woot! :lol

Slime said:
So I'm replaying Portable Ops just to see how it stacks up to this, since I haven't touched it in a while.

And wow, does it feel weird. The default controls are borderline absurd, but got a little better when I tried to replicate Peace Walker's control scheme. This way movement is mapped to the analog stick, camera controls are mapped to the face buttons, up doubles as the action and stalking button, right equals the inventory button, down is crouch/crawl, and left is lock-on or something. The L button is for first-person aiming and R is for attacking.

This feels so much better than it did the first time I played it. I can't believe I originally played through it with the default control scheme, for 25 hours no less, controlling the d-pad camera and the analog stick with the same effing hand. No wonder my hand was so cramped and I could only play it for an hour at a time.

gonna have to try this method, thanks

Erigu

AgentOtaku said:
what exactly is the benefit to getting A-Ranks on missions and such as well as Heroism points?
S ranks can win you some new schematics or camos, on certain missions. And S ranking all missions both in solo and coop nets you a medal... i.e. extra heroism points.
Speaking of which... Heroism points allow you to unlock some new coop messages (some of them have nice effects... I believe the last one is unlocked at 500000 points... good luck with that!), and I think they also determine how good your volunteers and recruits are overall... I guess there might be more to it, but I couldn't tell you what...

54-46!

Graphics Horse said:
Yes, unless it's something unusual like target practise. Unlocking the Sneaking Suit helps a lot to get these, I think I got it after the helicopter.
Same here, I only got the Battle Suit just before the end of chapter 4.

SumGamer

Graphics Horse said:
You have to play all Chico's briefing files, or the ones related to UMA's. I'm not sure when all of those are unlocked. There's an extra ops mission where Miller says 'Don't get lost', go to the beach from there. I hope that's right, don't remember him saying it anywhere else.
The hay box just needs to be collected from the mining village, this trailer shows you how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-QN-MPKEbg

Thanks, got the
straw box

Still not getting another though, I've listen to all of Chico's briefing files. Is it random?

What's the best weapon to use for extra ops #66: missile interept mission.

Haven't shot down one yet. My strategy is all wrong I must be missing something. Is there a turret I'm not seeing?

Please help. Someone. :)

edit: nvm a simple machine gun did it.

way more

Graphics Horse said:
Yes, unless it's something unusual like target practise. Unlocking the Sneaking Suit helps a lot to get these, I think I got it after the helicopter.

I've read that the sneaking suit reduces your chances of getting an "S." But of course you can move so much faster that it can be worth it.

nilbog21 said:
Hey, i just lost a helicopter in the Outer Ops is it possible to get it back somehow?
YES, YOU CAN...
If you come back from a mission and go to check out your outer ops and you don't like the outer ops combat results, just return to the title screen, reload from save, and then look at the outer ops results again... They seem to be generated on the fly when you go to review the results, so they can change for or against you when you look at them again without saving... If I loose too much hardware, I just keep reloading/reviewing until I get a result I can live with...

Salaadin

nilbog21 said:
k thx, funny the 1st time i redid the mission the pilot didn't come out so i couldn't tranqualize him, i guess i'll redo it.

Im still not 100% sure on how to get them to come out. Being stealthy usually ups the chances for me but even then, Ive had to damage them to 40% HP before theyll peak out. I think there was only one time when I stealth tranqed/fultoned everyone and the commander popped up instantly after.

One of my theories was to damage the cockpit directly. I have no idea if that helps but whatever.

Ephemeris

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
YES, YOU CAN...
If you come back from a mission and go to check out your outer ops and you don't like the outer ops combat results, just return to the title screen, reload from save, and then look at the outer ops results again... They seem to be generated on the fly when you go to review the results, so they can change for or against you when you look at them again without saving... If I loose too much hardware, I just keep reloading/reviewing until I get a result I can live with...

I didn't know that. o_O

Haven't been keeping up with this game at all but...

1tmwt0.png

WTF?? :lol Tank box??

nilbog21

Banned
Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
YES, YOU CAN...

lol damn if i knew that before i lost it and played a mission ;/

Salaadin said:
Im still not 100% sure on how to get them to come out. Being stealthy usually ups the chances for me but even then, Ive had to damage them to 40% HP before theyll peak out. I think there was only one time when I stealth tranqed/fultoned everyone and the commander popped up instantly after.

One of my theories was to damage the cockpit directly. I have no idea if that helps but whatever.

If you completely fulton all soldiers without being spoted by any of the soldiers or the vehicle, then immediately after the last soldiers is launched, the leader will come out. If anyone sees you, then you will have to get rid of the soldiers and then damage the vehicle to X percentage to get the leader out.

Pancho

Qurupancho
So how many missions this game has? Is it long?

And it really sucks that I can't join GAF for this game, since to use AD-HOC you gotta have to connect the PS3 via ethernet and my room is the farthest from the modem so I use the wireless to play PS3. Unless there's another method to use Ad-hoc?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Pancho said:
So how many missions this game has? Is it long?

And it really sucks that I can't join GAF for this game, since to use AD-HOC you gotta have to connect the PS3 via ethernet and my room is the farthest from the modem so I use the wireless to play PS3. Unless there's another method to use Ad-hoc?

Let's put it this way: it's the longest Metal Gear Solid game in existence. I'm not finished with the story and I'm already 30 hours in. There's a TON of side mission stuff to do, and upgrading (researching) weapons, items, and building up your "Fortress" is really fun.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Awesome, then

But man it's really lame I can't play this online =/
But yeah, probably I'm barely in the beginning of the game, just reached the 3rd boss and recruited
Kojima
:lol :lol
Those bosses are pretty hard if you fight them solo, I tried the 2nd boss with 2 other friends and we struggled with it. Maybe we suck really bad :p

I'm addicted to this game. Done the main story. Done over 75% of outer ops. Got all my teams (combat, R&D, Mess Hall, etc) up to at least level 75. I'm going for level 100 of them all.

I'm a few extra op missions away from finishing them all. The custom tank/chopper battles will make you want to crush your PSP into pieces but it's very rewarding when you do beat them.

My save file reads 60 hours. I think I got another 20 hours left in me. :D

Then I'll put it down for a month and come back to it for small bursts of play.

Serious GOTY contender.

Oh, and I haven't even touched ad-hoc. Router is too far from my ps3. Seems like a hassle to set up.

Salaadin

My brother has met the following:
-Have in Intel Team level 40 or higher.
-Have two upgraded Mother Base plants.
-Have a fully operational Metal Gear Zeke, including the rail gun.
-Complete Zadornov Search Mission 6, and then do at least three more missions.

He still cant get Zadornov 7 though. Hes tried reqequipping parts to ZEKE and still nothing. Any ideas?

Salaadin said:
My brother has met the following:
-Have in Intel Team level 40 or higher.
-Have two upgraded Mother Base plants.
-Have a fully operational Metal Gear Zeke, including the rail gun.
-Complete Zadornov Search Mission 6, and then do at least three more missions.

He still cant get Zadornov 7 though. Hes tried reqequipping parts to ZEKE and still nothing. Any ideas?

You should go back to extra op 1 and he should be on the second floor, then the scene should play out and everything after that

Any ideas where i can find some good cooks and R&D people since i'm now at my staff limit for both.

Pancho said:
Any tips regarding the 1st AI boss? That guy is murdering me X_X

Carry your best (highest ranked) rocket Launcher (i carried 2 for more shots)
Aim for the AI pod for the most damage
Try to follow it with your camera view since it goes all over the place, dodge accordingly
If you run out of ammo and/or health items before it goes down use the supply marker to get more
Best time to use it IMO is when it has retreated from the field.
You can destroy its boosters so it wont do moves that use it.
When you take all its bar and its down hit the pod again so you can go in there(else its gonna repair itself)
You can lay down against its electric attacks but have health items equipped for safety (especially for the big one)

-Winnie-

This game needs a sequel. While yes, maybe there isn't much that needs to be explored in terms of Big Boss' story, I just love the set up of Big Boss and crew growing Outer Heaven, aiding in conflicts around the world.
That and the game itself is fun as hell and I want more. :D

54-46!

Augemitbutter said:
i have no doubts we'll get another sequel with big boss.

or MG1 & MG2 big boss side :D
I would love to see remakes of MG/MG2 with an indepth perspective on Big Boss's agenda there.. however, most of all I'd like to play as The Boss during her WWII days.

Got it yesterday, the first cut-scene at the moment where
The Boss
is mentioned gave me the chills, I'm gonna love this game!

The only thing I hate, is that my hands hurt after playing for an hour on my psp :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Augemitbutter said:
i have no doubts we'll get another sequel with big boss.

or MG1 & MG2 big boss side :D
I think there will be one more MG title set between MGS:pW and MG1, but it should be the last Interquel for Big Boss.

Thrakier

It's far to difficult to bro-up and get a good game going, which is a pitty considering that the coop mode is all sorts of awesome.

Thrakier said:
It's far to difficult to bro-up and get a good game going, which is a pitty considering that the coop mode is all sorts of awesome.

I think it's pretty easy (I've broed-up a couple of times now at work). If anything, it sucks early on if both bros aren't very far into it/unlocked extensive extra-ops missions =/

Salaadin

Erigu said:
I don't think that's needed. I believe the actual condition is to have Mission Support at level 2 (minimum).
Hmm. How do you level that up? Im not sure he has that condition.

Infinite Justice said:
You should go back to extra op 1 and he should be on the second floor, then the scene should play out and everything after that

Any ideas where i can find some good cooks and R&D people since i'm now at my staff limit for both.

He didnt even get the call from Miller yet about Zadornov escaping for the 7th time. Hes just stuck in this endless loop of doing EX OPS and waiting for Miller to call

Salaadin said:
Hmm. How do you level that up? Im not sure he has that condition.

I'm not sure, but try keeping all your top 50 intel guys in intel. Snipers usually have good intel stats.

he has the
jetpack
, right?

Related question: can base facilities go beyond Rank 3? They still have their progress bar which disappeard when the Command Center reached rank 6.

Top Bottom