• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Graphics Horse said:
You only need the
jetpack
and the
rail gun

I don't think you need the
jetpack
, I was able to build one with the
rail gun and armor
. Maybe it's any two optional parts?

mrkapawutzis said:
I don't think you need the
jetpack
, I was able to build one with the
rail gun and armor
. Maybe it's any two optional parts?

How do you get the optionals?

Do you have to hit them or leave them alone and hope the game gives it to you?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is there a list or a Wiki out there for all the "prizes" that you get from S Ranking Extra Ops ? Or how about what Confidenital Docs that you can find in Extra Ops?

I've noticed a few times I stumbled across Conf. Docs in missions where you aren't specifically collecting them. I end up wondering how many I've missed because I haven't been paying attention or fully exploring each area.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow I just got to the mission where you fight the big Cocoon thing... I saved it there, leave it for tomorrow. Thing looks epic!

I wish there were some human boss fights, but every single new machine thing I fight is pretty neat.

Just finished and very nice.

Once
Heavens Divide started to play when fighting the heli got really awesome. The music while fighting peace walker was awesome as well

Nice ending too

I'm getting over the vehicle extra ops fights now, way to many of them and they are bullet/rocket sponges.

Would have benefited from scaling bosses depending on how many people are co-oping it.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Just finished it. Wow. Definitely better than MGS3, unimaginable as that was when I started it.

MGS3 still holds the title of my favorite MGS game, but Peace Walker is right behind it, which truly shocked me.

I'm 45 hours in and I wanna keep playing, but it's just too hard for me....I don't know how to proceed anymore...

Drac

DualShadow said:
I'm getting over the vehicle extra ops fights now, way to many of them and they are bullet/rocket sponges.

Would have benefited from scaling bosses depending on how many people are co-oping it.

They did :D (yes they have even more health and even more troops in coop).

sotodefonk said:
how can i get head parts of AIs? My zeke was destroyed on outer ops, and I cant get a single head part to build a new one... do I need to damaghe some area? do i need to fight a certain AI?
you do know that you can "cheat" outer ops results, right?
If you come back from a mission and go to check out your outer ops and you don't like the outer ops combat results, just return to the title screen, reload from save, and then look at the outer ops results again... They seem to be generated on the fly when you go to review the results, so they can change for or against you when you look at them again without saving... If I loose too much hardware, I just keep reloading/reviewing until I get a result I can live with...

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
you do know that you can "cheat" outer ops results, right?
If you come back from a mission and go to check out your outer ops and you don't like the outer ops combat results, just return to the title screen, reload from save, and then look at the outer ops results again... They seem to be generated on the fly when you go to review the results, so they can change for or against you when you look at them again without saving... If I loose too much hardware, I just keep reloading/reviewing until I get a result I can live with...

weird it never crossed my mind :lol Anyway got a few MBTK70[C] and finally started to beat these missions. I just lost a couple of vehicles, which is fine I guess...

Funny the first mission I passed (If I remember correctly it was capture the base 04 S++) And I got the SVG with night googles docs with the battle suit w/helmet :D I guess Im lucky

Anyway, just 3 to get the insignia :D

zurra

one major story point i'm having trouble grasping regarding past history between the boss and snake:

i thought he found out at the end of MGS3 that the boss didn't defect, that Volgin fired the nuke and she sacrified herself for her country. then he bailed out of america. but... in PW it seems like he forgot the truth and is trying to figure out the truth about her all over again. does the game explain this apparent lapse of memory or is he just hiding the truth from everyone else?

The score in the game (Mostly during the codec conversations) sounds very much like The Dark Knight. I just recently noticed it. Anyone else hear the resemblance?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Finally got a PSP and this game. Lots of fun so far! The first boss I fought was hard though. I did eventually beat him and it felt great :D

Salaadin

zurra said:
one major story point i'm having trouble grasping regarding past history between the boss and snake:

i thought he found out at the end of MGS3 that the boss didn't defect, that Volgin fired the nuke and she sacrified herself for her country. then he bailed out of america. but... in PW it seems like he forgot the truth and is trying to figure out the truth about her all over again. does the game explain this apparent lapse of memory or is he just hiding the truth from everyone else?

He knows what supposedly happened but has his doubts. He questions the Boss for doing what she did and you also have to consider where he got the info about her death. EVA cant exactly be called a reliable source.

zurra said:

I guess he started to have doubts over the 10 years which crept up once she came "back from the dead"

soldat7

zurra said:

I'm confused about this as well.

Augemitbutter said:
no clue, but it's definitely the weakest MGS soundtrack so far.

I'm not going to postulate which Metal Gear has the best soundtrack
MGS1
, but the Peace Walker soundtrack is really great. I love it.

Salaadin

How do you stealth kill the extra ops stuff? Me and my brother tried to take down a tank by ourselves and we each had 1 fulton left by the end with 4 soldiers still on the field. I skimmed the area and couldnt find any pick ups.

Salaadin said:
How do you stealth kill the extra ops stuff? Me and my brother tried to take down a tank by ourselves and we each had 1 fulton left by the end with 4 soldiers still on the field. I skimmed the area and couldnt find any pick ups.

you sleep them or make them to freeze and hope the tank kill them when it pass above them. That, or develop fulton mines / fulton gustav

Salaadin said:

You'll need
Fulton Mines which let you extract up to another 20 soldiers if you use them well
I might have unlocked them by finishing Chapter 5.

There's also a
Fulton C.Gustav which even gets extra ammo in supply drops

Oh gosh...

I can't seem to beat Peace Walker the second time around, when she's trying to launch the nuke. I hit it with rockets from the RPG and LAW, I have Mother Base strike it from above, and I place C4 where she sometimes goes. Am I doing something wrong, or is there some other tactic I'm not using? The way I'm doing it right now, I run out of RPG and LAW ammo before I even take it down. I'm primarily focusing on the AI Pod, which has worked before, so I don't think I'm doing that wrong. Although, when I call Huey on the Codec, he says focus on the legs, but I'm not sure if he is right or not.

lastinline said:
Oh gosh...

I can't seem to beat Peace Walker the second time around, when she's trying to launch the nuke. I hit it with rockets from the RPG and LAW, I have Mother Base strike it from above, and I place C4 where she sometimes goes. Am I doing something wrong, or is there some other tactic I'm not using? The way I'm doing it right now, I run out of RPG and LAW ammo before I even take it down. I'm primarily focusing on the AI Pod, which has worked before, so I don't think I'm doing that wrong. Although, when I call Huey on the Codec, he says focus on the legs, but I'm not sure if he is right or not.

A) Use the lock-on rocket launcher
B) Aim for the pod
C) Use resupply marker to refill your ammo. You will need to do this several times during the fight.

Salaadin

Valkyr Junkie said:
A) Use the lock-on rocket launcher
B) Aim for the pod
C) Use resupply marker to refill your ammo. You will need to do this several times during the fight.

Also be sure you arent firing rockets at it when the orb head thingy has a blue glow in its center. Theyll be deflected.

lastinline said:
Oh gosh...

Try and upgrade your rockets, use supply marker, and I found using a heavy/large machine gun helped do some decent damage.

lastinline said:
Oh gosh...

Aim for the pod
Use Rockets but beware there is a time limit
Use a machine gun as a last resort and pray
Also use supply markers to get more ammo and rations

As for what huey says it might be true since it actually slumps over for a bit if you stop it

Salaadin

I know its been stated already several times in this thread but whatever. Heavens Divide is such a good song. Best vocal MGS song since Snake Eater. Sorry Calling to the Night

lastinline said:
Oh gosh...

Also, I forgot to mention chaff grenades. They make all bosses of that type immediately freak out, so I'm not sure if they stop the launch as well.

lastinline said:
Oh gosh...

another vote for upgrading weapons - i found redoing previous bosses repeatedly just in order to do that very helpful (tho also kinda boring :) )...

Thanks for the help ya'll. :) Yeah, I think I need to upgrade my RPG and LAW indeed. I used Chaff Grenades on it when it did it's defense, but I only have so many Chaff Grenades. Going to have to upgrade it as well for it to last longer I suppose. Then, when I would ask for supplies, I would get quite a bit of supplies, but I would just keep hitting it and it would take all my ammo. I got to the point where I didn't have any Supply Markers left and the boss still had quite a bit of life left. I had no problems with bosses or enemies before this battle, but I guess I should have been upgrading my weapons as much as I could along the way. Again, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

good to see people enjoy the OST.

i don't think it's bad, especially not if you compare it to other games, there are some good themes farther into the game, but there's nothing memorable because they try to implement a movie soudtrack into MGS.

the vocal song is nice, but it can't touch those in MGS1 and Portable Ops.

Augemitbutter said:
good to see people enjoy the OST.

i don't think it's bad, especially not if you compare it to other games, there are some good themes farther into the game, but there's nothing memorable because they try to implement a movie soudtrack into MGS.

the vocal song is nice, but it can't touch those in MGS1 and Portable Ops.

pretty much this.

Now I can honestly say while Portable Ops Plus wasn't that great, I'd love to see Peace Walker Plus.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Augemitbutter said:
but there's nothing memorable because they try to implement a movie soudtrack into MGS.

Hmm, what? That's happening since MGS2 with the inclusion of Harry Gregson-Williams, and honestly it's a great approach into the series. Along with Hibino and Toda, they have delivered great soundtracks in 2, 3 and 4. Maybe MPO didn't have a good score, but PW's OST is not far at all from MGS2/3/4's OSTs.

Slime

Banned
So I'm replaying Portable Ops just to see how it stacks up to this, since I haven't touched it in a while.

And wow, does it feel weird. The default controls are borderline absurd, but got a little better when I tried to replicate Peace Walker's control scheme. This way movement is mapped to the analog stick, camera controls are mapped to the face buttons, up doubles as the action and stalking button, right equals the inventory button, down is crouch/crawl, and left is lock-on or something. The L button is for first-person aiming and R is for attacking.

This feels so much better than it did the first time I played it. I can't believe I originally played through it with the default control scheme, for 25 hours no less, controlling the d-pad camera and the analog stick with the same effing hand. No wonder my hand was so cramped and I could only play it for an hour at a time.

That said, this method isn't flawless. It really only works when you're going a bit slower, head-shooting enemies from a distance. I had to tweak it a bit during the battle with Python, setting auto-aim to the L button since first-person aiming was doing nothing for me and holding the left directional button was tedious. Douple-tapping the down button is also kind of awkward for rolling, and being forced to still use the analog stick to aim in first-person mode is kind of awkward, but other than that playing the game this way has been a breeze.

Another criticism I have is that the map layouts are kind of atrocious. They're proportioned like they are in the console titles, but at the same time they're so tiny, and I always have this boxed-in feeling. Navigating the camera controls to a satisfying degree in these closed quarters is such a bitch because I always feel like the camera is bouncing off and behind held back by some nearby barrier. Peace Walker did a much better job in this regard by having wide open areas and thus plenty of room to operate the camera and move around in. Like so much of Portable Ops's game design, it feels like they ripped the general structure of these areas out of a console game without considering how they would translate to handheld play.

Another massive improvement Peace Walker has over Portable Ops is its team-building set-up. Dragging enemies back to a truck is such a pain in the ass, and I'm thankful I don't have to do very much of this, as the game has a New Game+-esque feature that allows you to start the game from the beginning with all your recruits and equipment. Navigating the team management stuff is also pretty unwieldy, what with the icons representing the recruits' strengths not being very clear. For some reason the bar representing these is full of vague combat-related symbols, while at the end there is a hat(?) and a cross, the latter obviously displaying abilities in regards to medical skill.

Since the game has four "units" (sneaking, spy, technical and medical) I assumed the bulk of the combat-related symbols represented sneaking, while the weird zig-zag symbol represented technical skill. That left the hat(?) and cross, which I thought showed proficency in the spy and medical teams. In reality, the zig-zag displayed proficency in making traps and the "hat" represented technical skill. Spies don't have any identifying marker in the main menu, as instead you have to select each and every character to see if they are listed as 'Arms Dealer,' 'Spy,' or 'Surveyor.' Now admittedly I could have checked the manual earlier, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a terrible and confusing system. If there are four units, there should be four icons representing skill in said units. And since the units themselves already have icons of their own (footprints for Sneaking Unit, ear for Spy Unit, wrench for Technical Unit and cross for Medical Unit), would it have killed them to at least use the same ones for each recruit's skills? After all, medical uses the same for both. Why, then, is technical an undentifiable hat-like object and not a freaking wrench? God, am I glad that Peace Walker streamlined that.

I think I'm going to be able to wrap it up tomorrow, which is weird because I just started it a few hours ago. Without recruiting or taking on the fetch quests assigned to you by the spy team this game is ridiculously short and simple. Which I guess makes sense since it's supposed to be kind of mission-based and you're supposed to spend a large amount of your time on the first playthrough recruiting members, but the (lack of) variety of missions doesn't really incentivize you to do so. Peace Walker's were so fun. I wanted to do everything. But here I'm supposed to get excited that my spy unit found found some medical kits in a hospital? Um, yay?

And that's about it, really. But I still have to gripe about one thing: the Python battle. Seriously, all I did was lock onto him, circle around him, and shoot. With a Mk. 22. What kind of battle is that?

/Ranty wall of text

Sorry about that.

bernardobri said:
Hmm, what? That's happening since MGS2 with the inclusion of Harry Gregson-Williams, and honestly it's a great approach into the series. Along with Hibino and Toda, they have delivered great soundtracks in 2, 3 and 4. Maybe MPO didn't have a good score, but PW's OST is not far at all from MGS2/3/4's OSTs.

yes, they tried to bring in movie flair with HGW, but even then, look at the boss battle themes and classic arrangements, you can hear plenty of those on both MGS2 and 3. MGS4 had a few good non movie themes from HGW, raidens theme and old snake was glorious.

and that's why portable ops was so great, we had alot of classic MGS influences and no HGW, just a few arrangements.

SumGamer

Sorry if it's been posted before (this thread is massive)

Do I have to beat the game to unlock
Monster Hunter ops and A.Creeds' hay box?

I have seen the condition to unlock them from the Japanese version but unsure if it's still in the US version of the game since I cant get it to work.

Top Bottom