• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

BigBoss said:
For those of you hoping for a ps3 port you should listen to the latest KP podcast,
they confirm its never going to happen.

Oh I hadn't heard that.

As much as I wanted the game to be on PS3 when it was announced, I don't think it would work on that system anymore. I'm not how to articulate my point, but PSP really is the best platform for this game.

Vamphuntr

I'm really excited for it. Gaffers' impressions in the import thread were very positive. It's also seem to be a really high quality psp game with full voice acting, great graphics and lot and lot of content :D .

StuBurns

Banned
Takao said:
ITT: "I paid $400-$500 for a PS3 for MGS4, but no way in hell will I pay $170-$250 for MGS5".
If you're referring to me, maybe you should read. I have a PSP, I'm not paying $60 for MGS5.

As for a port, I'm not surprising it's not going to happen, they didn't do one with Portable Ops, don't see why they would now. It'd also require a lot of work based on the demo I've played. Unless they literally just put in HD, and if that was the case, there wouldn't be any point beyond some sales, which I guess is a decent reason, but hardly inspiring.

StuBurns

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
That's great because it's not 60$. The game is 39.99$ or 49.99$ with the artbook.
That's great but I'm not an American. It's actually 52$ here (on disc, PSN version will probably be more I think), however, that's still more than I'd pay for a game I think will annoy me endlessly. I will buy it eventually, but at a price I'm willing to throw away on the chance I don't like it.

Vamphuntr

StuBurns said:
That's great but I'm not an American. It's actually 52$ here (on disc, PSN version will probably be more I think), however, that's still more than I'd pay for a game I think will annoy me endlessly. I will buy it eventually, but at a price I'm willing to throw away on the chance I don't like it.

Ouch! You're in EU/UK/Australia then? I was quite surprised that here in Canada we got the game for the same price as the US one. We usually end up paying an extra 10$. I agree though, if you think 50$ is too much and you are afraid that you might not enjoy it, you should wait. If it sells enough it might become a PSP greatest hits (let's hope it does not bomb).

StuBurns

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
Ouch! You're in EU/UK/Australia then? I was quite surprised that here in Canada we got the game for the same price as the US one. We usually end up paying an extra 10$. I agree though, if you think 50$ is too much and you are afraid that you might not enjoy it, you should wait. If it sells enough it might become a PSP greatest hits (let's hope it does not bomb).
I'd be stunned if it bombs, it has to be on the top of the vast majority of PSP owners radars at the moment, beyond KH, it has to be the biggest release this year.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Ugh, so much hate already and the game's not even here yet

Pre ordered the hut version btw, thanks adriano for posting that on the first page. It makes the extra wait worth it.

Class_A_Ninja said:
Hearing David Hayter's manly-man voice on the Kojima Productions podcasts has assured me that buying a PSP for this game is the right thing to do.
Damnit, I should get back on the KP podcast train again. I loved every episode Ryan Payton did, didn't really look for episodes since he left.

KTallguy

Banned
StuBurns said:

Why don't you download the demo and try it first?

If you've played the demo and not enjoyed it, it's safe to say that you won't like the game, even though the full game has ... so much more than that dinky little demo.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
KTallguy said:

If you've played the demo and not enjoyed it, it's safe to say that you won't like the game, even though the full game has ... so much more than that dinky little demo.

Stop with your rotten logic! You can't change his mind. He's just being an as safe moist dude.

ryan-ts

Peace Walker is $50 in Canada, cannot bring myself to pay that much for a PSP game even if it is MGS.

What can I do? I suppose I'll just feed on a tree frog.

StuBurns

Banned
KTallguy said:

I have tried the demo. I said that already.

My issue is only the controls, everything else I think is exceptional, and pretty much exactly where I'd hope the franchise would go. I was stunned by the game in so many ways. I just think the controls are very frustrating. I know this is common for the series, but MGS4 played so incredibly well, that one aspect seems like a huge step back. I know the PSP has very limited control inputs compared to a DS3, and I think they did a great job of getting something so complicated on the handheld, it's just that for me, it feels like it's compromised because of the platform. I will pick it up eventually, just not until it's so cheap that I don't care if I won't play it.

KTallguy

Banned
OK, if that's where the problem lies then don't buy the game.
It does take some time to get really good, but there are like 3-4 control schemes in the final product.

But yea, it's not as simple as using a touch screen or a second analog. This game is the closest I've seen to a PSP game that emulates a second analog though. And the shooting mechanics are built around the controls fairly well. Sure though, you can't really play it like an FPS.

Barrett2

ryan-ts said:
Peace Walker is $50 in Canada, cannot bring myself to pay that much for a PSP game even if it is MGS.

What can I do? I suppose I'll just feed on a tree frog.
Just wait a few weeks, buy it used.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thrakier said:
Wow, that sucks. Why is there no infrastructure mode? :(

Ad-hoc and Japan being small enough for gamers to get together for ad-hoc play.

Kojima realized that America/EU is bigger and less prone to local co-op, so he's balanced the game to singleplayer and shyed away from "Tactical Co-Op Action" that he wanted the tagline to be.

Hideo_Kojima_EN/Kojima's English twitter account has actually been pretty informative in the run up/design of Peace Walker these past eight or so months. I recommend going there and checking it out (among the numerous twitter posts he makes about his dinner/lunch)

StuBurns said:
I have tried the demo. I said that already.

My issue is only the controls, everything else I think is exceptional, and pretty much exactly where I'd hope the franchise would go. I was stunned by the game in so many ways. I just think the controls are very frustrating. I know this is common for the series, but MGS4 played so incredibly well, that one aspect seems like a huge step back. I know the PSP has very limited control inputs compared to a DS3, and I think they did a great job of getting something so complicated on the handheld, it's just that for me, it feels like it's compromised because of the platform. I will pick it up eventually, just not until it's so cheap that I don't care if I won't play it.

I've put more hours into the demo than many people will put into the full game. Seriously, I've played the fuck out of that thing, both single player and multiplayer. Somewhere around 25-35 hours.

I can tell you definitively that while the controls seem awkward at first, after a bit of practice, you don't even think about it. I think the controls are perfect and in some ways, better than MGS4 because it isn't so cluttered with moves and techniques you won't ever use. It's simpler and more streamlined. The camera works perfectly. The only complaint I can muster up is that you can't easily switch from crouching to standing without taking your finger off the analog nub. Other than that I have no problem whatsoever.

For those who struggle with the controls, I recommend using more Auto-Aim. It's much more useful in Peace Walker than it was in MGS4.

StuBurns

Banned
autobzooty said:
I've put more hours into the demo than many people will put into the full game. Seriously, I've played the fuck out of that thing, both single player and multiplayer. Somewhere around 25-35 hours.

I can tell you definitively that while the controls seem awkward at first, after a bit of practice, you don't even think about it. I think the controls are perfect and in some ways, better than MGS4 because it isn't so cluttered with moves and techniques you won't ever use. It's simpler and more streamlined. The camera works perfectly. The only complaint I can muster up is that you can't easily switch from crouching to standing without taking your finger off the analog nub. Other than that I have no problem whatsoever.

For those who struggle with the controls, I recommend using more Auto-Aim. It's much more useful in Peace Walker than it was in MGS4.

Thanks, I'll download the demo again, try and put a couple of hours in, see if it 'gels' with me. I really hope it does, because if it wasn't for my experience with the controls, I'd be very excited for the game.

Vamphuntr

TheSeks said:
Ad-hoc and Japan being small enough for gamers to get together for ad-hoc play.

Kojima realized that America/EU is bigger and less prone to local co-op, so he's balanced the game to singleplayer and shyed away from "Tactical Co-Op Action" that he wanted the tagline to be.

Hideo_Kojima_EN/Kojima's English twitter account has actually been pretty informative in the run up/design of Peace Walker these past eight or so months. I recommend going there and checking it out (among the numerous twitter posts he makes about his dinner/lunch)

That doesn't make much sense. I get the part that japanenes gamers get together for ad-hoc play but why he did not code infrastructure in? He tweaked the single player for the western audience but he could have included infrastructure as well. PO is not even by Kojima and it has infrastructure. Must not be that hard to include. I mean Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2 had infrastructure in Japan too. This is the only downside for me. I have the 20 Go PS3 which is not compatible with ad hoc party so I'm kinda screwed.

StuBurns said:
Thanks, I'll download the demo again, try and put a couple of hours in, see if it 'gels' with me. I really hope it does, because if it wasn't for my experience with the controls, I'd be very excited for the game.

It definitely takes some time to get used to, but it's totally perfect once you do. Definitely worth the effort to learn it, imo.

And holy crap at the art of Snake in that book. I may need to pick that up.

Vamphuntr

rainking187 said:
For some reason GameStop.com never fixed the link for the artbook from the CE, so I stole this from GameStop.ca. Here's what the artbook looks like, it looks like the one that came with the super limited japanese collector's edition.

http://www.gamestop.ca/gs/images/bonus/190042_artbook_contentsLG.jpg

EDIT: I'm linking cause the picture was fucking huge.

I hope it's worth the extra 10$ I'm paying for:D .

Oh man this is clearly false advertising...

Gamestop said:
Online Multiplayer Supported: PEACE WALKER provides up to 4-player CO-OPS (COperative-OPerationS) gameplay, which is a revolutionary first for the series that introduces the all-new CO-OP Ring and “Snake Formation.” The CO-OP Ring allows gamers to interact and build their camaraderie through the sharing of items, equipment, and LIFE gauges during the heat of battle, while the “Snake Formation” lets one player take the lead so the others can focus on defense.

MightyKAC

Despite the horrible taste the first Portable Ops game gave me control wise I have high hopes for this one.

Pre-ordered from Amazon and eagerly awaiting it.

MightyKAC said:
Despite the horrible taste the first Portable Ops game gave me control wise I have high hopes for this one.

Loved the controls in the demo. Have to play this game, can't wait actually. Need some PSP lovin'

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MightyKAC said:

Honestly, the demo quelled a lot of my concerns. The new control scheme is a little whacky, but it does the job. There are some things you can no longer do (wriggle across the floor, move while pressed against a wall, knock on walls), but it works for sure.

Actually, CAN you knock against walls? if you can, I must know how.

Vamphuntr said:
That doesn't make much sense. I get the part that japanenes gamers get together for ad-hoc play but why he did not code infrastructure in? He tweaked the single player for the western audience but he could have included infrastructure as well. PO is not even by Kojima and it has infrastructure. Must not be that hard to include. I mean Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2 had infrastructure in Japan too. This is the only downside for me. I have the 20 Go PS3 which is not compatible with ad hoc party so I'm kinda screwed.

Monster Hunter 2G did not have infrastructure in Japan...

Btw, I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 20gb launch PS3 as well.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
thetrin said:
Honestly, the demo quelled a lot of my concerns. The new control scheme is a little whacky, but it does the job. There are some things you can no longer do (wriggle across the floor, move while pressed against a wall, knock on walls), but it works for sure.

Actually, CAN you knock against walls? if you can, I must know how.

Monster Hunter 2G did not have infrastructure in Japan...

IIRC, Press the hit button.

espionage

never thought in a million years i would get a psp - especially not this late in the console's lifecycle. but mgs5 and the big boss bundle were enough to push me over the edge. the game looks great!

-Winnie-

rainking187 said:
For some reason GameStop.com never fixed the link for the artbook from the CE, so I stole this from GameStop.ca. Here's what the artbook looks like, it looks like the one that came with the super limited japanese collector's edition.

http://www.gamestop.ca/gs/images/bonus/190042_artbook_contentsLG.jpg

EDIT: I'm linking cause the picture was fucking huge.

Seeing that pic makes me sad that there's no Shinkawa art on the cover. :(

ptown

espionage said:
never thought in a million years i would get a psp - especially not this late in the console's lifecycle. but mgs5 and the big boss bundle were enough to push me over the edge. the game looks great!

Same here. I had barely any interest in the system until now. Going to go with the MGS bundle as well.

I hope I'm going to find more good games after PW though. So far, for already released games: maybe Patapon, FF Tactics? And for future games... I honestly don't know.

Info/suggestions, PSP owners?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i'm sure this is common knowledge but i couldn't quite divine it from the OP (which is great btw)

-will there be a dl version? i hate umds so would rather go with that
-if not, is amazon the best deal out there right now?

thanks.

Barrett2

ptown said:
Same here. I had barely any interest in the system until now. Going to go with the MGS bundle as well.

I hope I'm going to find more good games after PW though. So far, for already released games: maybe Patapon, FF Tactics? And for future games... I honestly don't know.

There are some amazing games on PSP. Either dig up one of the 3,000 PSP game recommendation threads on GAF, or just check Metacritic. You could probably buy every one of the top 10 Metacritic PSP games on Ebay for a shockingly low amount. I highly recommend it.

ptown said:

man where to start. since you can play umds get metal gear ac1d, either or both. if you want patapon, get 2. other than those must haves (imo), just follow your own tastes...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rollo Larson said:
man where to start. since you can play umds get metal gear ac1d, either or both. if you want patapon, get 2. other than those must haves (imo), just follow your own tastes...
man i wish we would get another ac!d though i know we never will. considering the jump from 1-2, 3 might have been my favorite portable game ever.

tzare

AstroLad said:
i'm sure this is common knowledge but i couldn't quite divine it from the OP (which is great btw)

-will there be a dl version? i hate umds so would rather go with that
-if not, is amazon the best deal out there right now?

thanks.
i hope it has a DLC version, hopefully at E3 they will announce a new PSP backwards compatible so i will be able to play it on it :D
If that is not the case i will buy the UMD version

ptown

Thanks for the suggestions/advice, lawblob & Rollo Larson!

I'll check out the Acid games and some others on the list.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ptown said:

Field commander
Disgaea
Disgaea 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Wipeout Pure
Jean D'Arc
Valkrya Profile Lennith/2
Star Ocean 1/2
Final Fantasy remake (FUCK THE FF2 REMAKE)
Numerous PSX games on the PSN store (MGS, FF7/8/9, Vagrant Story...)
Metal Gear AC!D 1/2
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

PSP is a RPG monster machine. For anything else, you probably won't find much.

Oh, except for fighters but the shitty D-pad for the PSP limits those.

Powerstone Collection
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
BlazBlue Calamity Trigger Portable
Guilty Gear: XX: The Midnight Carnival: #Reload, Portable
GG:XX:TMC:^Core Portable
Darkstalkers

thefil

ptown said:

There's also the rhythm games (Lumines series, DJMax series), and pretty much any of the "little brother" Sony franchise releases (God of War, Motorstorm, Jak, LBP, etc).

DieH@rd

Banned
JUST 5 MORE DAYS!

Translator-San---Not-Giving-a-Fuck.png

Top Bottom