• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh man, that translator. :lol I hope he shows up at E3 this year.

Barrett2

DieH@rd said:
JUST 5 MORE DAYS!

Awesome

Shawn6661

Gamekult.com Import Review

Heir to a great tradition of hide and seek filled with well hidden treasures, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker represents one of the richest handheld game released in recent months. In addition to stealth action passages as we were expecting, it also offers a lot of exciting and addictive sidestuffs that will increase the life span in proportion to your curiosity. Enemy capture, headquarter management, manufacture and inventions of new weapons, mercenaries management, the huge opportunities available to the player remind the richness of a Pokemon game. As stunning are the visuals, the painful first two hours should be remembered as they are mandatory to select and overcome a very special handling, owing the physical limitations of the console. The unbalanced difficulty during boss fights will also force the player to find some friends to play in coop if he doesnt want to feel frustrated to multiply side missions to improve his arsenal. The rest is all good. One of the games of the year on this platform, no doubt about it.

+ outstanding visuals
+ rich gameplay
+ crazy funny scenario and jokes
+ stealth stress is present
+ the capture and management of soldiers

- poor controls
- long loadings
- no friends ? no luck ...
- when you die, they keep shouting "sounekouuuuuuuuu"

8/10

zlatko

Banned
I can't wait! The only thing I'm worried about is if I'll get my pre order bandana or not. I pre ordered it at my local Gamestop in full, but I may have to move/leave before it comes out to a new state/town. While I know they will give me the game there with the game fully paid off I don't know if I'll get the bandana since I didn't pre order it there.

I really want that thing! :D

Vamphuntr

Shawn6661 said:
Gamekult.com Import Review

- poor controls
- long loadings
- when you die, they keep shouting "sounekouuuuuuuuu"

8/10

I thought the demo controls were fine to be honest. So, I really need to play with someone to get everything??? :(. I can probably pressure a friend into buying it.

A minus is that they shout sunakuuuuuu when you die?? Seriously? It's been like that since MGS.

Gamekult import reviews are pretty shoddy overall. I remember their import FF13 review. They had multiple facts wrong. Like they were saying that switching to a defender in battle increased your max HP. The overall feel was that they didn't play it at all or didn't understand what was going on. They tried including story spoilers at all cost to prove they played the real thing. Since the english is out they rewrote part of it to hide their stupidity.

Salaadin

Thrakier said:
"- when you die, they keep shouting "sounekouuuuuuuuu"

WTF. That's a PLUS!

Seriously, thats practically a staple in the series. Its like complaining about the !'s that appear when you are spotted.

Takao

Banned
ptown said:
Same here. I had barely any interest in the system until now. Going to go with the MGS bundle as well.

I hope I'm going to find more good games after PW though. So far, for already released games: maybe Patapon, FF Tactics? And for future games... I honestly don't know.

Info/suggestions, PSP owners?

Other than the previous mentions, for future games, check the 2010 list (some of those games have already been released).

Zen

Banned
autobzooty said:
PSP has a good library of games, but I think that no one really notices them because there aren't any "system sellers" for the west. Monster Hunter was a system seller for Japan, so they love the system there and are enjoying the library of games. But since MH is not so popular in the west, it didn't exactly sell a lot of systems. If people buy a PSP for MGS5, I think they will find more than enough software to satisfy their needs and the "PSP has no games" argument can be put to rest.

I think Peace Walker will sell quite well, by PSP standards, in Americas and Europe. Sure there are undeniably a decent amount of people who are rationalizing not getting it due to the platform (their loss) but the MGS fanbase has always seemed to be relatively faithful and dependable when it comes to putting their money down. More so than other popular but not quite the top of the ladder franchises. If LBP PSP can sell over 140k in 2 months (during Christmas, albeit) Peace Walker could do 200-300k US imo. I do think that, once the games have basically bottomed out, Kojima and co could port it to PSN for the Euro and NA markets.

Although it could get some life with potential PSP E3 price drops.

DieH@rd said:
JUST 5 MORE DAYS!
It's so close, I can't wait. I want to see what the camo PSP looks like in real life. To actually feel how light a PSP 3000 is will be nice too. My PSP 1000 is a bit on the heavy side, so it will be nice to have a lighter PSP. With the installation talk, I'm glad the Big Boss Pack comes with a big memory stick. I'm totally installing this game.

Varth

- poor controls
- long loadings

The "poor controls" thing is beyond me, but I guess I'll read it A LOT in the upcoming reviews. Why do people still confuse the limits of the hardware with the actual control design quality?

I found the controls in PO so stressful that I had to start over with that game some 6 or 7 times before they clicked on me. Those were "poor controls". PW is nothing like that. Really pick up and play, didn't even had to change setup. I only set the turn speed up once I got further into the game.
They wisely set the accelleration of movement so that you can aim quickly from one target to another, while still being able to adjust precisely in sniping mode, and the slight aim assist on the head, arms and legs (you can turn it off) makes it all very natural. I would go as far as saying that controls are one of the best designed things in the game, actually. When you have to deal with this kind of limitations from the hardware, reaching good results is an outstanding achievement.

As for the rest: didn't have a problem with loading times (playing from MS), but really, lol at the friends remark. This is not Lost Planet 2, where the game becomes utter garbage without 3 friends. This is an exellent, solid single player campaign, with a game changing coop mode. My only real gripe is the lack of infrastructure mode for VS play.

I think people have different experiences with the controls depending on how they play.

For instance, I rarely (if ever) actually fire the guns. I use Auto-Aim for hold-ups and CQC for everything else. Occasionally I'll end up in a firefight and I'll still stick to Auto-Aim when possible. The only time I really use the over-the-shoulder camera is when I have no choice, like in the tank boss from the demo.

So maybe I don't take issue with the controls because I don't play my stealth games like a third person shooter? [/spoiler]oh snap[/spoiler]

Varth

autobzooty said:
I think people have different experiences with the controls depending on how they play.

For instance, I rarely (if ever) actually fire the guns. I use Auto-Aim for hold-ups and CQC for everything else. Occasionally I'll end up in a firefight and I'll still stick to Auto-Aim when possible. The only time I really use the over-the-shoulder camera is when I have no choice, like in the tank boss from the demo.

So maybe I don't take issue with the controls because I don't play my stealth games like a third person shooter? [/spoiler]oh snap[/spoiler]

Don't know, really. While I usually play stealth with no auto aim (headshots with stun gun, hold ups and choke CQC, mostly), when farming for mechs, I actually had A LOT of firefight with M16 and M60, and controls have proven great even in that kind of situation. I was able to pick off helmets from faraway in OTS camera with ease, all while running and rolling from heli missiles or tank salvos, and switching from rations to fulton to recover the soldiers in pre death.

Varth said:
Don't know, really. While I usually play stealth with no auto aim (headshots with stun gun, hold ups and choke CQC, mostly), when farming for mechs, I actually had A LOT of firefight with M16 and M60, and controls have proven great even in that kind of situation. I was able to pick off helmets from faraway in OTS camera with ease, all while running and rolling from heli missiles or tank salvos, and switching from rations to fulton to recover the soldiers in pre death.

Glad to know that the controls stand up even in those situations. Peace Walker seems like it's one part stealth and one part crazy action nonsense, but these bits seem to be really sanctioned off from each other.

I think it's almost time to pop my Peace Walker avatar on, but I'm gonna miss the Galaxy 2 one. So many good games coming out!! :D

hampig

Why does it seem like I never see anything about story in any of these reviews. I can't be alone in thinking that is at the center of the series. Story, and those crazy creative moments, like the ending (entire game) of 3, or the controller unplugging in 1.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
hampig said:
Why does it seem like I never see anything about story in any of these reviews. I can't be alone in thinking that is at the center of the series. Story, and those crazy creative moments, like the ending (entire game) of 3, or the controller unplugging in 1.
Interesting how that import review said nothing about the storyline. Can't read or understand japanese perhaps?

Vamphuntr

Lafiel said:
Interesting how that import review said nothing about the storyline. Can't read or understand japanese perhaps?

It was the same for their FF13 import review. Like I said Gamekult import reviews are terrible. Don't see the point of having an import review when the game will be released this month. They only want more clicks and be the first to post one I guess.

Awesome avatar autobzooty!

Shawn6661

Lafiel said:

The reviewer is in the business in france for 15+ years now and he actually worked at Famitsu Xbox back then !

About the controls, i went easy on the translation, its doesnt actually say that the controls are bad, just that they're not intuitive.

dili

Based off what I know and my experience with the demo I think this has the potential to be my favorite Metal Gear in terms of gameplay. Now i'm just hoping the storyline delivers (though I have little doubt about that). I'm just glad I've been able to avoid all spoilers and know next to nothing of the storyline. I knew too much about MGS4 before playing it that I wish I didn't.

barnone

I'd never heard of Ad Hoc party til this thread, and I just wanted to make sure my friend and I will be able to do local co-op without a PS3. What modes require this ad hoc party?

I'm also picking up the UMD version, even though I really want the digital PSN version. However, I want to spend my $20 amazon credit (plus get the $10 credit for MGS) before it expires on July 31st. Is there any way to register my game so I can download the digital version? Thanks :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
barnone said:
I'd never heard of Ad Hoc party til this thread, and I just wanted to make sure my friend and I will be able to do local co-op without a PS3. What modes require this ad hoc party?

I'm also picking up the UMD version, even though I really want the digital PSN version. However, I want to spend my $20 amazon credit (plus get the $10 credit for MGS) before it expires on July 31st. Is there any way to register my game so I can download the digital version? Thanks :D
Of course you can do local co-op without a PS3. adhoc party is a program that allows people to play adhoc over a long distance.

barnone

thetrin said:
Of course you can do local co-op without a PS3. adhoc party is a program that allows people to play adhoc over a long distance.

Ah alright. Do many games take advantage of ad hoc party? I have seriously never heard of it until I read this thread's title :lol Sounds awesome though

thetrin

barnone said:
Ah alright. Do many games take advantage of ad hoc party? I have seriously never heard of it until I read this thread's title :lol Sounds awesome though

Adhoc party works with every game that has adhoc. It's just tunneling software.

Vamphuntr

Sony should do an ad hoc party for their media go PC store. It would be so awesome. The only problem would be getting a wireless card that can do psp xlink mode :lol .

onken

Sorry if this has been answered yet but can you change the controls to put movement on the d-pad and camera on analog? This was the only thing that made PO playable for me.

duckroll

onken said:
Sorry if this has been answered yet but can you change the controls to put movement on the d-pad and camera on analog? This was the only thing that made PO playable for me.

No.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
onken said:
That would be a great scheme.

It's basically the same scheme we had to use on Dreamcast for FPS games. At least the PSP offers ONE extra button over the DC (the select button).

JohngPR

PW crept up on me after the crazy spring we've had so far.

Anyone else trying to play through MGS3 again before they play Peace Walker?

Erebus

JohngPR said:

Me but PCSX2 ain't doing me any favors. And I bet it will look crap if I just use the PS2.

Varth

JohngPR said:

I tried too, but it's close to impossible to play the game on PS3 due to the F'd up pressure sensitivity of the face buttons. Putting the gun down without shooting is impossible :(

Guess I'll be picking up the $200 (CDN) PSP-3000 + PW bundle. I'll wait until Sony's press conference just to make sure theres no PSP2 incoming sooner rather than later though. I have a feeling at the latest it will be out fall 2011.

Salaadin

infinityBCRT said:
Guess I'll be picking up the $200 (CDN) PSP-3000 + PW bundle. I'll wait until Sony's press conference just to make sure theres no PSP2 incoming sooner rather than later though. I have a feeling at the latest it will be out fall 2011.

Wouldnt you rather be playing Peace Walker during Sonys conference when they announce MGS6 as a PS4 exclusive launch title?

Salaadin said:
Wouldnt you rather be playing Peace Walker during Sonys conference when they announce MGS6 as a PS4 exclusive launch title?
haha. I would. But I don't want to be burned just in case they announce PSP2 for this fall. I really doubt it will happen but from what CheapyD has said on the CAGCast, that was actually the original plan.

Top Bottom