• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Ridley327 said:
Now that's an interesting trick! It sure beats hoofing it over to Pupa when you see it rev up one of the big shock attacks (the other one is really easy to avoid, but god help you if you do get hit by it).

Yeah, running towards imminent death has never been a big thing for me. I do use your strategy for the normal stuff which is hide in the tunnel, shoot any mines that could hit you. Lightning is generated between each point, so even if you are by one mine way at the back, youre still hooped because all of them will project at different angles towards that solitary mine. Of course if youre lucky you can zone out the lightning entirely sometimes and hide behind a wall depending on the angle of attack.

A little protip for people doing cocoon. If you run right up the first hill to your right and stand right against the middle of the wall (hold action against it for best results) the gigantic cannon will never hit you. You can sit back here and pepper cocoon with missiles and machine gun fire until it eventually capitualtes and drops its ladder. Once youre on top as well, a good trick is to stand as close as possible to the ai pod. Not only do you do critical damage, but the machine guns cant rotate that far. If you have an MG you can actually hold down fire and walk slowly backwards all the way to the back of the machine and the mgs will never hit you. Helps to shave time off for S-ranks.

One last comment. Fucking Kojimaaaaaaaaaaaaa. If you manage to unlock the female bikini models, quickly going up and down will actually cause 3 of the 4 women to jiggle (im sure you can guess which one cant). I knew about the bikinis, but not the itagaki style jiggle physics. Not sure if thats been pointed out.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Damn! I just finished Chapter 5.

Okay the ending was AWESOME. I liked how it pretty much setup the rest of the series. So let me see if I get this right:

1. The "Cipher" group that Paz was working for was the "Zero" group of the Patriots? Wasn't there another group in MGS4 that was talked about...? I don't remember. So the whole motivation for Paz and the Professor was just to sabotage and kill Big Boss all along because MSF would destroy the new world order?

2. So I don't know the "story" of Metal Gear 1... but pretty much it's Big Boss and MSF "defending" itself from the US / aka " The Patriots" US Branch who are trying to destroy them? So they use Solid Snake to kill Big Boss and the MSF just like Big Boss was saying was going to happen at the end of the game?

3. Future MGS story... so basically the US/Patriots use Snake to kill Liquid because he was trying to expose the Patriots in MGS1? Or was that Solidus/President Sears using Snake to kill Liquid so he could expose The Patriots? I don't remember all that whoo-rah.

I seriously can't believe this game is getting more HYPE. I think this is probably my favorite MGS game in the entire series, and without a doubt my personal Game of the Year 2010. I have yet to play a game all year that has hooked me like this game. Excellent game, the PSP is worth owning for it, although I wish this would get a PSN release so more people could play.

Personally, I would like to see another sequel taking place inbetween MGS2-4 (chronologically) to fill in some gaps and see more Solid Snake adventures.

Adam Prime said:
Damn! I just finished Chapter 5.

Okay the ending was AWESOME. I liked how it pretty much setup the rest of the series. So let me see if I get this right:

1. The "Cipher" group that Paz was working for was the "Zero" group of the Patriots? Wasn't there another group in MGS4 that was talked about...? I don't remember. So the whole motivation for Paz and the Professor was just to sabotage and kill Big Boss all along because MSF would destroy the new world order?

Cipher was Major Zero, yes. Paz was supposed to either bring MSF and Big Boss under Zero's control or sabotage them, depending on how things went.

2. So I don't know the "story" of Metal Gear 1... but pretty much it's Big Boss and MSF "defending" itself from the US / aka " The Patriots" US Branch who are trying to destroy them? So they use Solid Snake to kill Big Boss and the MSF just like Big Boss was saying was going to happen at the end of the game?

The first two Metal Gears are Outer Heaven / Zanzibar Land, the evolution of MSF, trying to destroy the world order (and the Patriots along with it). The Patriots did use Snake to get rid of Big Boss, but we see that Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land aren't as noble as MSF might have been.

3. Future MGS story... so basically the US/Patriots use Snake to kill Liquid because he was trying to expose the Patriots in MGS1? Or was that Solidus/President Sears using Snake to kill Liquid so he could expose The Patriots? I don't remember all that whoo-rah.

In MGS1, Liquid was going to continue Big Boss's plan. He was basically doing the same thing as Big Boss, only for different reasons. The Patriots wanted him dead, and Solidus wanted him to at least partially succeed so he could put his own plans in motion (Solidus and Ocelot made Liquid's plan possible in the first place). To be honest, I don't remember whether it was Solidus or the Patriots that sent Snake in. If it was Solidus, he was trying to get rid of FOX-HOUND so he could take REX. If it was the Patriots, they were just trying to stop FOX-HOUND. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

Also, Rising is supposed to take place in between MGS2 and 4.

Ridley327

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
In MGS1, Liquid was going to continue Big Boss's plan. He was basically doing the same thing as Big Boss, only for different reasons. The Patriots wanted him dead, and Solidus wanted him to at least partially succeed so he could put his own plans in motion (Solidus and Ocelot made Liquid's plan possible in the first place). To be honest, I don't remember whether it was Solidus or the Patriots that sent Snake in. If it was Solidus, he was trying to get rid of FOX-HOUND so he could take REX. If it was the Patriots, they were just trying to stop FOX-HOUND. Either way, it doesn't really matter.

We know at this point that it was the Patriots due to Naomi's association with them, as well as Snake being used as a carrier for FOXDIE. Ocelot's nature almost assuredly let Solidus "in on the details" of the plan, which would have also been a goal for the Patriots.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So... I'm rewatching the MGS4 ending again on YouTube. Just to see
Big Boss
again and see what he has to say.

Trying to paraphrase the entire MGS series is a headache. I wish I could read something that summarizes the entire thing from MGS3 to Peace Walker to all the way to MGS4. Basically what I understand is:

MGS3: Basically Zero, Eva, Ocelot, Signit, Paramedic and those other MGS3 guys form the Philosophers/Patriots. They want to make a one world order and continue the Boss' vision of a world without government, etc.
Somewhere along the way they see things differently and branch off to form two separate groups. One where Zero is establishing an AI Patriots to continue "The Boss' vision" of a one world govt... and the other guys: Big Boss, Ocelot and Eva spend the rest of the time opposing the Patriots and 'exposing' them - or whatever that means because they feel that Zero is creating something that is not what The Boss would have wanted.

MGS1: Ocelot, Liquid, and Solidus are all essentially on the same side of things... defeat the Patriots/Zero's AI. The Patriots/US Govt use Solid Snake to stop them - which he kind of does. Liquid is clearly against the Patriots here... but Solidus is "working" for the Patriots as the US President, but really opposing. Same for Ocelot, he is "working" for the Patriots here but is really opposing them. Both Ocelot and Soldius pretend they are against Liquid's plans, but really they are supporting him as undercover agents working for the Patriots.

MGS2: Either Solidus says "screw it" or the Patriots really find out his true intentions and in MGS2 his whole goal is to bring down the Patriots. Again Solid and Raiden don't really understand what's going on and end up getting used by the Patriots AGAIN to defeat who they want him to defeat... Solidus. All this time Ocelot is still opposing them working under the guise of Liquid Snake... because he some how needs to fool the Patriots? I dunno, things get murky what Ocelot was really trying to do here.

MGS4: Here's where I get all confused... Liquid Ocelot is trying to bring down the Patriots. So he pretends like he's on the Patriots side of things to get Snake to fight him and bring down the Patriots. He's secretly wanting Snake to defeat him and the Patriots all along, so he has to pretend to be Liquid Ocelot to fool the Patriots AI into them thinking he is on their side? I dunno, maybe I need to replay that again.

I dunno why I am spending so much time trying to figure this shit out. The MGS story fascinates me and at the same time I think it's complete poopy.

_dementia said:
This game is like crack
yep yep!! :D

Ridley327 said:
That's what the random drops are for; have fun hunting for the XFIM-94 or the CAW!
I got the XFIM-92A (I presume that's what you mean - there is no XFIM-94, is there?) from one of the outter ops missions a couple days back, but man I can't seem to get the CAW... I'm running one of the ops where it should be dropped (49 -52, I think?) with every mission I play, but just keep stockpiling tank boxes and smoke rounds and whatnot... :lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man my backlog tells me that I should move on to another game after finishing this one... especially since there is no story hook to keep me going.

But yeah, this game is so fun I see myself coming back and trying to complete all the missions!

Danny-Boy

I've held out purchasing the PSP for a long time because I thought the system and the analogue nub would not be my cup of tea.

Well I bit the bullet and....

I am absolutely loving the PSP, this game, and the 'shooter type' controls. Controlling the camera with the x, o, triangle, and square is genius.

The button layout is perfectly implemented in my opinion, changing weapons and items is a breeze. Shooting is natural, and using the select button to change in and out of auto aim also genius.

Tried 'action type' controls but found it annoying having to stop snake's motion everytime I wanted to move the camera around.

Adam Prime said:
I wish I could read something that summarizes the entire thing from MGS3 to Peace Walker to all the way to MGS4.

It may be hard to find but the MGS4 strategy guide (maybe only the Limited Edition but I'm not sure) had an excellent summary of the entire series including MGS4. It excludes Peace Walker obviously but I don't think PW added anything new but really just reconfirmed stuff we could already guess.

You can also get the MGS database from PSN which has enormous amounts of detail but it doesn't do a very good job of serving as a single summary.

My main issue with both the strat guide summary and database is that they portray Liquid Ocelot as merely playacting throughout MGS4. I think it only works if the psychological reconditioning he went through was so complete that the fake Liquid personality basically took over all of Ocelot's free will. Which makes the final battle in MGS4 cool to me because it's basically Snake beating the Liquid out of Ocelot (which IIRC was reflected in the name used on the health bar for each portion of the fight).

hatchx

Banned
I really hope this game gets ported to something- anything, but the PSP. I just don't want to buy a PSP for ONE game, but man do I love me some MGS.

oracrest

hatchx said:
I really hope this game gets ported to something- anything, but the PSP. I just don't want to buy a PSP for ONE game, but man do I love me some MGS.

MGS
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

problem solved!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
hatchx said:
Just check your local Craigslist for some deals on PSPs. I got my second one for 40 dollars there. If one game isn't enough, look into the other MGS games on the system.

Victarion

Onion_Relish said:
that big quintuple shock attack is actually easy to dodge once you learn the trick. When it is pointing right at you, just run to the right around it in a circular method ie: run around it like time on a clock. The first shot should land right behind you, then if you run back the other way, the other one should shoot right in front of you. It takes confidence to develop it, but once you know it its free damage.

There is even an easier method, use the shield.

so for rathalos, "breaking" consists of knocking the sharp pointy horns off his head and wings and actually sawing off his tail? I havent managed to cut off a wing, if thats even possible

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
hatchx said:

First of all: IT'S WORTH IT. BUY A PSP FOR THIS GAME.

Secondly: There's TONS of great games on the PSP. Seriously if someone can't find at least five games on the PSP that they love, I question their opinion on all things as a gamer. It is seriously one of the most under appreciated hand held consoles ever.

I would put the PSP next to the SNES/PS2 in the pantheon of all-time great video game systems.

Slime

Banned
I'm kind of bummed out. I was super addicted to this game, but now the only Extra Ops missions available to me are vehicle battles, and I just don't seem to have the skill/patience to complete them. It's too bad my PS3 is connected wirelessly because I bet they'd be a lot easier with some people on Ad-Hoc Party.

Maybe I'm just a pansy, but I really wish they had optimized these boss battles for solo play. The ones in the core game are fine, but the tougher optional ones just aren't very fun.

Slime said:
I'm kind of bummed out. I was super addicted to this game, but now the only Extra Ops missions available to me are vehicle battles, and I just don't seem to have the skill/patience to complete them. It's too bad my PS3 is connected wirelessly because I bet they'd be a lot easier with some people on Ad-Hoc Party.

Maybe I'm just a pansy, but I really wish they had optimized these boss battles for solo play. The ones in the core game are fine, but the tougher optional ones just aren't very fun.

Protop: throw a smoke grenade (or 2) run behind the enemy and hold them up (or throw them to the ground and point your gun at them). Get 4 of them close enough together, use a single fulton mine to pick up 4 guys. Rinse, repeat. The only way it gets tricky is when you have 36 as the max you can pick up from mines and lvl 5 fultons is 33. So you either have to let the tank kill some guys or shoot them with the fulton rocket launcher (from far away, if the tank hears the sound youre boned)

It's not too difficult. It takes a while to figure out how to make it comfortable, but once you get it, its cake. I'll even give you one of my own personal tips.

sometimes when you throw a smoke grenade you wont get everyone coughing, if this is the case, use your hush puppy and shoot the ground by the other soldiers, they will run into the smoke to come find you, but obviously fail. Place your fulton mine, run outside the smoke, shoot it, and hide.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speaking of the bosses. I've got like five more to S-rank or so. Ugh. I think I'm getting burned out. So tired of these.

oracrest

My analog stick is breaking down. It registers direction, but 2 specific directions will only let snake walk, not run :/

kind of a pain in the ass. I think I'm gonna upgrade to the metal gear system this weekend.

micster

Justt finished the second ending. 21 Hours 23 Minutes in total. So insane. But with the second ending
I still wish it was done better, rather than 7 find Zadornov's and then the final battle. Cos I reckon this way a lot of people will miss out on seeing the actual ending. Especially as you need to have the railgun for Zeke, yet the game doesnt tell you this after Zadornov Mission 6.

Insane to think the PSP has the longest Metal Gear [for me personally, anyway]

onken

Yeah it's a great game, really surprised I've spent 25+ hours on it already, apparently. Nothing more satisfying that judo-tossing someone into a wall and getting that "splat" animation :lol

Anyway, what's a good way to accumulate head parts? Because if it's just to beat Pupa 2 five times then forget it.

Ridley327

onken said:
Yeah it's a great game, really surprised I've spent 25+ hours on it already, apparently. Nothing more satisfying that judo-tossing someone into a wall and getting that "splat" animation :lol

Anyway, what's a good way to accumulate head parts? Because if it's just to beat Pupa 2 five times then forget it.
You don't have beat Pupa II five times to get its head part.

You have to beat Pupa Custom five times to get its head part. :D

onken

Ridley327 said:
You don't have beat Pupa II five times to get its head part.

You have to beat Pupa Custom five times to get its head part. :D
No I got a head part from beating Pupa 2 earlier today.

micster said:
Justt finished the second ending. 21 Hours 23 Minutes in total. So insane. But with the second ending
I still wish it was done better, rather than 7 find Zadornov's and then the final battle. Cos I reckon this way a lot of people will miss out on seeing the actual ending. Especially as you need to have the railgun for Zeke, yet the game doesnt tell you this after Zadornov Mission 6.

Insane to think the PSP has the longest Metal Gear [for me personally, anyway]

It is... but when you look back at it and take out all the grinding/extra ops I think it may be the same if not a little less than the last few games. The one problem I had is in the middle of the game I felt the story dried up a little, partly because I had to grind, and partly because there was a lack of cutscenes during that time.

how is the difficulty level? I got this on my PSP GO but didn't get around to playing due to being busy

show I start on Easy or Normal?
*I hate dying and I hate low ammo

oracrest said:
My analog stick is breaking down. It registers direction, but 2 specific directions will only let snake walk, not run :/

kind of a pain in the ass. I think I'm gonna upgrade to the metal gear system this weekend.

Yea I've been having something similar (down is registering more than up) for a while now and it as killed my Freedom Unite play-through as a result :( (cant afford such bullshit messing up a Hammer run on 2 Tigrex).

Has affected this game as well but luckily i normally have the option to hide when it does fuck up.

3 more Zadornov to go.

Ridley327

gutter_trash said:
how is the difficulty level? I got this on my PSP GO but didn't get around to playing due to being busy

PW marks a really big departure for the series since it doesn't have a difficulty level to select. Each mission has its own difficulty (measured by one skull and all the way up to five red skulls) and being able to change your loadout between ops is a big focus. Generally speaking, the missions in the main story are of an easier difficulty than any you'll find in Extra Ops.

mauaus

gutter_trash said:

I was a bit worried about it how you are "forced" to do co-ops but its definitely not the case for the story campaign... And i certainly havent reached an EXtra ops mission i cant do by myself 24 hrs into the game

Its an amazing game, get it its like crack like someone said before me

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Random question from glancing over the box!

Why's it "tactical espionage operations"? What happened to the action?!

Also lol'd at "first official hideo kojima game on the psp system" remark cause it'll prolly be the first and last. Were they that desperate to set it apart from the acids and ops?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lindsay said:

Also lol'd at "first official hideo kojima game on the psp system" remark cause it'll prolly be the first and last. Were they that desperate to set it apart from the acids and ops?

OPs yes. Considering fan backlash. AC!D, no.

"Tactical Espionage Operations" goes with CO-OPS, Co-operative OPerationS.

way more

Hey Hey Hey. I just noticed that when fighting Peace Walker II you don't see a health meter for the AI pod in the info screen (push start.) Do I even need to target the pod or can I just shoot the mother where ever I want?

Jigsaw

Banned
is there any way to change the outfit when watching a cutscene through the menu?it sucks that snake is always wearing his boring standard camo uniform,especially because you can trigger the realtime cutscene before the final boss only once since its not an actual mission : (

Jigsaw said:
is there any way to change the outfit when watching a cutscene through the menu?it sucks that snake is always wearing his boring standard camo uniform,especially because you can trigger the realtime cutscene before the final boss only once since its not an actual mission : (

seems you can't.

Honestly i like it since it makes Big Boss look like a badass (i'm gonna fight you with my normal camo and a m16) :lol

its instantly destroyed when you go in the actual mission though.

micster

Blu_LED said:
How do I
listen to the tape marked 'Eva'? is there a way to listen to it, or do I have to just wait for the next mission to pop up?
Go onto any mission, press Briefing Files and then I think you press right to go into other tapes not about that mission

RelentlessRolento said:
beat all missions last night.

can anyone clear my confusion of who
Miller really is after talking to Zero?

what do you mean who he really is? he is......miller. he is in for the business up to that point.

BumRush

I've been on the fence about getting a PSP lately. Is this the game that should push me to get it? Reviews have said that boss battles were irritatingly long...is this game breaking?

Lindsay said:

Oh I see you picked it up! Did you get Portable Ops yet?

-Winnie-

BumRush said:
I've been on the fence about getting a PSP lately. Is this the game that should push me to get it? Reviews have said that boss battles were irritatingly long...is this game breaking?

Not game breaking at all. It definitely helps to have buddies to coop with, but you should be able to play through the main story alone with no major problems.

And I would say yes, Peace Walker is the game to buy a PSP for. :D

BumRush

-Winnie- said:
Not game breaking at all. It definitely helps to have buddies to coop with, but you should be able to play through the main story alone with no major problems.

And I would say yes, Peace Walker is the game to buy a PSP for. :D

Thanks Winnie!!

BumRush said:

PSP has a good library of games, look it up.

you can't pass on PW as a MGS fan anyway.

Top Bottom