• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

Ridley327

If you don't have the Soliton radar (which tells you right away where it's facing), the visual hint that they give you is that the business end of a claymore is the broadside that's curving outwards. It's also pointing slightly upwards to the sky.

Lindsay said:
Okay okays no waiting around for videos of people playing the game I went an got it for myself since $20 was a super nice price! I dunno when I'll start struggling through the game with DQIX coming and all... maybe someday after I find a physical copy of Portable Ops so I don't gotta play more outta order games @_@
Youtube the cutscenes/ending credits conversation and listen to the song "Calling to the night". You don't need to play the game or read any of the mind numbing text dialog.

PO is such a joke. It was barely a 5 hour game and Peace Walker is 40+ hours.

One thing I love about this game is how getting new equipment can completely change your tactics. In most MGS games, the vast majority of the weapons and gadgets felt completely unnecessary but here everything is useful as the missions get so tough.

oracrest

Salaadin said:
Finally got my Fulton mines in development. I love watching my teams gets better and better. Why is this so exciting?

I am in the process of filling all my departments with better and better candidates. I love discharging a big group of D/E ranks.

"You're fired!"

:D

Although, I find it necessary to let my POW's and UNQ characters hang around my base, even if they are useless. I feel bad turning a POW back out into the world, heh.

Ninja Kn1ght said:
One thing I love about this game is how getting new equipment can completely change your tactics. In most MGS games, the vast majority of the weapons and gadgets felt completely unnecessary but here everything is useful as the missions get so tough.

I'd say this is the best thing about this game. It seems like every weapon has a use. In older games you would amass a 3rd world dictatorships amount of guns and armaments but never use anything other than the hush puppy. In this one you get the chance to bomb the crap out of gigantic robotic death machines with whatever your heart desires. Getting right up close and personal with the machine guns versus peace walker? what a thrill...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
*Metal Gear VR Mission Complete theme "congratulations... snake.".wav/mp3*

All missions and EX Ops unlocked.

Just leaves me with S-ranking (after researching the EM net [ugh, Stealth and Bandana are taking forever]) the vehicles I'm missing + doing
Date with Kaz and ZEKE Trial
to have S-ranks in all the missions. *collapse* At least Single player wise. CO-OPs means spending time in Ad-hoc party and trying to S/A-rank the missions with someone. OH BOY!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man so I'm going through the Search Missions Chapter 5...

I dread doing any more boss battles. I like the variety in the missions, but yeah I'm just waiting until I start developing better weapons. At least that's what I tell myself, I just dread doing boss/vehicle missions.

Also about getting the Rail Gun from that boss battle... anyone have a surefire strategy? I know that I need to hit the AI Pod over and over again, but the damn thing is always flying around. I find it hard to get a beat on it and only shoot the AI pod when it moves around and flies around everywhere. Anyone have a good strategy?

TheSeks said:
*Metal Gear VR Mission Complete theme "congratulations... snake.".wav/mp3*

All missions and EX Ops unlocked.

Just leaves me with S-ranking (after researching the EM net [ugh, Stealth and Bandana are taking forever]) the vehicles I'm missing + doing
Date with Kaz and ZEKE Trial
to have S-ranks in all the missions. *collapse* At least Single player wise. CO-OPs means spending time in Ad-hoc party and trying to S/A-rank the missions with someone. OH BOY!

You can date Kaz? I'm assuming you mean Paz?
:lol

TheSeks

DualShadow said:

OOOOOOH BOY, you are in for a surprise once you're done unlocking all the missions. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Anyway, how do you get the EM net skill required to R&D the EM net? I don't seem to have that skill. :(

Adam Prime said:
Man so I'm going through the Search Missions Chapter 5...

I dread doing any more boss battles. I like the variety in the missions, but yeah I'm just waiting until I start developing better weapons. At least that's what I tell myself, I just dread doing boss/vehicle missions.

Also about getting the Rail Gun from that boss battle... anyone have a surefire strategy? I know that I need to hit the AI Pod over and over again, but the damn thing is always flying around. I find it hard to get a beat on it and only shoot the AI pod when it moves around and flies around everywhere. Anyone have a good strategy?

A really easy way to do it is to get a carl gustav and wait until it takes aim with the rail gun. It will say "i'm going to send you straight to hell" but if you smack it right in the mouth with a gustav it will actually reset it. Sometimes it will let you hit several times due to resets, but sometimes you can have a direct hit and it WONT reset. In this case you need to be moving towards an unbreakable wall and you should be ok.

DualShadow said:

Man Thong

elcapitan

I love this game. I maxed out all my departments a level 99 and filled out almost all of the weapon collection categories. I even S-ranked every mission solo. I put in around 100 hours. The only thing missing is all the AI boards and spare parts, and the sling shots you get from the Monster Hunter quests (random drops are frustrating).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
elcapitan said:
I love this game. I maxed out all my departments a level 99 and filled out almost all of the weapon collection categories. I even S-ranked every mission solo. I put in around 100 hours. The only thing missing is all the AI boards and spare parts, and the sling shots you get from the Monster Hunter quests (random drops are frustrating).

Do you think it's worth it to sit there on really tough missions and grind out a victory... or is it best to just to play the game and do the missions you want until you start unlocking better weapons/equipment? That's my current strategy right now. I don't want to S-Rank everything but I'd like to at least clear every mission for sure.

elcapitan

Adam Prime said:
Do you think it's worth it to sit there on really tough missions and grind out a victory... or is it best to just to play the game and do the missions you want until you start unlocking better weapons/equipment? That's my current strategy right now. I don't want to S-Rank everything but I'd like to at least clear every mission for sure.

You really just have to grind it out. In the early going, the boss fights are annoying. I just concentrated on beating them so I can unlock the missions with higher quality soldiers, which unlocks the better weapons that make the boss fights a breeze. I just took my machine gun and slaughtered all the soldiers until there were no more, shoot missiles at the vehicles until the commander comes out, and just kill him with a well-placed rocket.

SiteSeer

i got a problem, extra ops aren't unlocking. i've
built zeke with all main parts and optional parts (don't have complete backup parts, tho) and have completed all my main ops up to zadornov search 6. i've completed all the extra ops that have unlocked so far, but new ones aren't opening up. i've even completed the monster hunter gear rex in the crater base. there are check marks on all ops screens. anyone else have this problem? i hear that paz is supposed to jack zeke when zeke is completed, but i've had a complete zeke for a while now. help
?

-Winnie-

SiteSeer said:
i got a problem, extra ops aren't unlocking. i've
built zeke with all main parts and optional parts (don't have complete backup parts, tho) and have completed all my main ops up to zadornov search 6. i've completed all the extra ops that have unlocked so far, but new ones aren't opening up. i've even completed the monster hunter gear rex in the crater base. there are check marks on all ops screens. anyone else have this problem? i hear that paz is supposed to jack zeke when zeke is completed, but i've had a complete zeke for a while now. help
?

Have you tried
going to the shooting range, extra ops 1? If not, start it and go upstairs. ;)

SiteSeer

-Winnie- said:
Have you tried
going to the shooting range, extra ops 1? If not, start it and go upstairs. ;)

okay, well that was it
but did i miss the part where kaz tells me that zadornov escaped again? must have.
thanks for the tip.

SiteSeer said:
okay, well that was it
but did i miss the part where kaz tells me that zadornov escaped again? must have.
thanks for the tip.

He says they don't have any intel on where he went, or something like that.

Yen

So what does the Gustav Fulton gun do? Obviously fultoning but can you collect tanks with it? What level do I have to be on to get this? I'm only on lv60

Yenrot said:
So what does the Gustav Fulton gun do? Obviously fultoning but can you collect tanks with it? What level do I have to be on to get this? I'm only on lv60

It only captures regular troops but it's also very good at tranq-ing chopper pilots! You get it from Ex.op 98, which is fairly tough to unlock and beat.

There is a device for capturing vehicles called the EM-Net but it's very hard to get.

Yen

One thing I'm crap at is chopper battles in the area from the demo (cannae remember the name but it was a tank battle in the demo). Any tips because the chopper can see you when you try to get near to the troops.

Yenrot said:
One thing I'm crap at is chopper battles in the area from the demo (cannae remember the name but it was a tank battle in the demo). Any tips because the chopper can see you when you try to get near to the troops.

Unless you set off an explosion, It can only see a small area in front of the chopper. You can crouch run around in a sneaking suit pretty safely, just go prone if he gets too close. When the guards are moving between waypoints, it's safe to run behind them and hold them up one at a time.

Salaadin

Tried EX91 with my brother last night. We still got pounded. I really need to just relax on these ops until my R&D finished work on some of these things theyre building (fulton mines especially) and then I can go back and try to stealth a lot of these mechs.

One thing Ive been noticing is that we are sometimes seen even if we are hidden. In EX91, theres this crater ditch thing to the right of where you start. We would run for the large warehouse on the right but would each throw a Strike Marker into the crater and hide out in the warehouse until the enemies made their way around. They always stop and look around in the crater so we were going to strike them and kill them. 4 enemies, 6 strikes between the two us = 24 enemies killed. We'd only have to worry about taking out the other 4 and then the chopper.

Anyways, we planted the markers and the enemies stopped right on top of them and my brother set his off. The 4 enemies died but the chopper knew right where we were despite the fact that he was looking away at the time and the two of us were ducked inside a warehouse.

Salaadin said:
Anyways, we planted the markers and the enemies stopped right on top of them and my brother set his off. The 4 enemies died but the chopper knew right where we were despite the fact that he was looking away at the time and the two of us were ducked inside a warehouse.

Yeah I noticed the chopper tends to get alerted to your position even if a guard steps on a claymore mine at the other end of the map, bit unfair that. Once your magic mines are ready you shouldn't have too much trouble. You can also hold up guys and excecute them with a silenced gun while they're lying down, a bit cruel but has to be done sometimes.

Ridley327 said:
The one in Crater Base isn't bad because you can afford to take a couple of hits.

Other way round for me, I found that one impossible.

Ridley327

TheSeks said:
:lol What the fuck? :lol

Edit: And the last two Monster Hunter missions are D: I hate that monster. Stupid attacks. :(

At least I S-ranked it.

The one in Crater Base isn't bad because you can afford to take a couple of hits. The one on the MSF deck, however, is very nearly anti-fun because you can't afford to take any hits. Getting stepped on will go through at least two rations or curry.

Salaadin

You guys and your S ranked MH missions :(

We did take on Gear Rex at the crater base yesterday and A ranked it without much trying. My brother died though so I had to wait for the Gear Rex to belly flop before I revived him. One on one, Im not sure I can take him there. Hes too nuts.

TheSeks

Salaadin said:
You guys and your S ranked MH missions :(

Hes too nuts.

Once you get the rank 5 Mk. 22 and some supply drops + bandanna (if in co-op) all you have to is spam Mk 22 at him and avoid being hit, obviously.

Ridley327

ExOp 38 (the first Base Defense mission) is a good place to grind weapon levels, since there's 40 soldiers and they barely ever attack you.

oracrest

I found GEAR Rex to be the easiest of all the MH fights. Even though I am used to fighting the Rathalos and Tigrex, it was just too easy to
keep running counter clockwise around him, his run is pretty slow and easy to avoid compared to the Tigrex spin

Ridley327

It also helps that he's the least mobile of the three monsters; the majority of his attacks require him to be standing still, whereas Tigrex is...well, Tigrex.

Salaadin

RelentlessRolento said:
0_0

wow, and I was hre thinking Mk22 was every MGS player's best friend

For difficulties sake, I went without and mostly CQCd my way through the game. It was a lot of fun having to get up close and personal with every enemy.

Salaadin said:
For difficulties sake, I went without and mostly CQCd my way through the game. It was a lot of fun having to get up close and personal with every enemy.

You could still hold them up though. Have you unlocked the banana yet?

Salaadin

Graphics Horse said:
You could still hold them up though. Have you unlocked the banana yet?

I might have the banana. Im not sure. I think I got something for my R&D team that teaches them how to pick bananas but I dont know if anything ever came from that :lol

Ridley327

Yeah, that's the document you need in order to develop the Banana. It makes a cameo in another mission when you have to protect a soldier from getting killed. So ridiculous. :lol

Salaadin said:
I might have the banana. Im not sure. I think I got something for my R&D team that teaches them how to pick bananas but I dont know if anything ever came from that :lol

Heh, I think you get it from completing the first 'Hold Up' Extra Op, if you've unlocked that yet.

Salaadin

Ridley327 said:
Yeah, that's the document you need in order to develop the Banana. It makes a cameo in another mission when you have to protect a soldier from getting killed. So ridiculous. :lol
:lol Yeah I did that mission. Poor little soul alone in the corner of the room with his banana.

Graphics Horse said:
Heh, I think you get it from completing the first 'Hold Up' Extra Op, if you've unlocked that yet.

I must have it then because its not showing up as something needing development and I dont think itd have high requirements. All of my teams are level 55+

Salaadin said:
I must have it then because its not showing up as something needing development and I dont think itd have high requirements. All of my teams are level 55+

Scroll down the handguns and it should be at the end if it's developed.

Ridley327 said:

There is actually a Mission where you have to Fulton a Researcher disguised as a Soldier and he has a Banana to differentiate himself (if you Fulton anyone else before him you get a time penalty)

Ridley327

The sneaking suit is your best bet for hold-ups, but you might be better off with the Neo Moss camo since it takes longer for enemies to actually notice you while wearing it; this is pretty important in mech battles that don't have set spawn locations, like the tanks and the helicopters fights that aren't in the Caldera.

God my Rank 2 Mk22 lvl1 makes me sad....how did the m16a hit lvl 2 before my mk22 =[.
I dont even carry that thing around! Arghhhhhhhhhh
My new hobby is doing the target practices though, mostly with the m161aasajdhsad pistol thingy or the mk22. I've actually put off doing story missions just to do time attack target practice and just regular old target practice.

I love this damn game.

Top Bottom