• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

JohngPR

Varth said:
I tried too, but it's close to impossible to play the game on PS3 due to the F'd up pressure sensitivity of the face buttons. Putting the gun down without shooting is impossible :(

Yea, I noticed that. It's not a deal breaker for me though, I just unequip my gun to put it down. It's just a workaround, but it makes it playable.

I beat MGS3: Snake Eater and never played MGS3: Subsistence although I bought it so this is the first time I'm playing the game via third person camera.

I say it's high time I put my MGS3: Subsistence Limited Edition to good use. ;) The game looks awesome upscaled on my 60GB PS3.

54-46!

I don't understand the problem everyone seem to be having with the controls? except for the aiming being a bit (well.. very) digital it's all good. Especially since they give you icons and stuff now when you approach an enemy.

ViolentP

I thought the demo controlled just fine. And I'm already starting fights with those around me to win myself some free time next week.

Salaadin

They take a little to get used to but like any game, if you really clunk down and learn them, they become second nature.

Branson

I thought the controls are perfectly fine. You actually can't get much better than this for a 3rd person stealth game on PSP. The Syphon Filters had the same kind of scheme and they were awesome, I thought.

winjet81

Branson said:
I thought the controls are perfectly fine. You actually can't get much better than this for a 3rd person stealth game on PSP. The Syphon Filters had the same kind of scheme and they were awesome, I thought.

The Syphon Filters allowed you to move with the face buttons and aim with the analog stick, which, IMO, made them perfect to play on.

I wish the MG control scheme allowed for the same configuration... but then, it would be hard to map sneaking vs. the regular walking variable onto the face buttons.

I had zero problems with the controls, in fact, before I played Peace Walker I had mapped Portable Ops to a similar configuration and that made the game a lot better. I seem to remember there was something at TGS (when the Japanese demo came out) that you could put over the PSP face buttons that emulated a D-Pad, not sure that made any difference but it might help some people that are having trouble with the controls.

We just got the Gamestop Peace Walker CE, its a lot larger than I thought and so worth the extra $10. Wish it came packaged like MGS4 CE though.

onken

duckroll said:
You're crazy. The controls in MGS5 are some of the best in the series.

I don't know if it's some crazy issue with my hands (I much prefer the DS3 shape to the 360 pad, apparently I am in the minority here) but I just cannot use that awful little nub. I get horrible cramp and I honestly feel nautious after extended use.

Square Triangle said:
We just got the Gamestop Peace Walker CE, its a lot larger than I thought and so worth the extra $10. Wish it came packaged like MGS4 CE though.
How does it come packaged? Do you get a normal UMD case with the regular edition game?

duckroll

onken said:
I don't know if it's some crazy issue with my hands (I much prefer the DS3 shape to the 360 pad, apparently I am in the minority here) but I just cannot use that awful little nub. I get horrible cramp and I honestly feel nautious after extended use.

Cramps are normal with extended use of the PSP, regardless of nub use or not. I agree it's a very poor device in terms of ergonomics, but the actual controls of PW are fantastic and nothing like MPO's poor implementation.

77ec6e2b.jpg

Sorry if the image is huge, I'm on the phone so I can't tell.

Blablurn

stop calling it MGS5 :(

why? because i trust in kojima and thanks to the awesome peace walker improvements we may see a true 5th entry of the metal gear series. in glorious HD. with all the awesomnes of peace walker. believe!!

but yeah, i'm really looking forward to play this little fucker on my beautiful PSP GO.

Blablurn said:
stop calling it MGS5 :(

why? because i trust in kojima and thanks to the awesome peace walker improvements we may see a true 5th entry of the metal gear series. in glorious HD. with all the awesomnes of peace walker. believe!!

but yeah, i'm really looking forward to play this little fucker on my beautiful PSP GO.
Its the true MGS5 (as seen in the posters with the MGS5 Peace Walker logo and Kojima's original comments on the game). I think they didn't call it MGS5 in the end because A) it would have pissed all over MS' announcement of Rising and B) marketing wise its not a good idea to keep numbering your games after a certain point

Sethos

Banned
Playing a massive game like this on a handheld device is a mortal sin ... Can't believe they went that route, should have released that spin-off mumbo-jumbo "Rising" on the PSP and let Peace Walker be a proper console game.

ViolentP

Sethos said:
Playing a massive game like this on a handheld device is a mortal sin ... Can't believe they went that route, should have released that spin-off mumbo-jumbo "Rising" on the PSP and let Peace Walker be a proper console game.

Quiet you.

Blablurn

but i'm glad there is a new MGS coming. i felt pretty fatigued in terms of gaming lately but i'm always ready for a new MGS. Best series ever. Bring it on!!

Salaadin

Blablurn said:
but i'm glad there is a new MGS coming. i felt pretty fatigued in terms of gaming lately but i'm always ready for a new MGS. Best series ever. Bring it on!!
Me too. I'm in such a gaming rut right now. I'm ready to dive into an MGS game.

JohngPR

Doesn't the PSP GO allow for you to use a dual shock 3? I wonder if you could then map camera to the right analog stick.

Yen

Sethos said:
Careful now.

thefil

infinityBCRT said:
Whats in the CE though? An art book? Meh.

I've gotten burned on pretty much every CE I've gotten since the beginning of the gen. Some of the early ones (Elder Scrolls IV, Bioshock) were good, but the current trend of truncated OST + "behind the scenes" trailer reel + disposable art book is just really terrible.

depward

JohngPR said:
Doesn't the PSP GO allow for you to use a dual shock 3? I wonder if you could then map camera to the right analog stick.

It does but sadly you can't map anything to the right analog stick. So it's a cool feature... but not quite cool enough :(

JohngPR

I really want that CE, but I have it pre-ordered from Amazon and paid only $29.99 for it with a $10 credit I had, so I guess I can't complain too much.

That CE does look sexy though...at least the case does anyway. :p

depward said:
It does but sadly you can't map anything to the right analog stick. So it's a cool feature... but not quite cool enough :(

Well that sucks. That honestly would have made me jealous that I didn't have a GO. LOL

JohngPR

I'm wondering if I should talk about MGS3 here or resurrect a 4 year old thread. I'm playing through it now and kind of want to talk about it. :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hay guys .. why does everyone keep calling this MGS5. I don't understand ? >_>

Yen

chandoog said:
Hay guys .. why does everyone keep calling this MGS5. I don't understand ? >_>
It's been mentioned s good few times in this thread but: It was called MGS5 in pre-production. Plus the fact it's a "true" Metsl Gear game.

thefil said:
I've gotten burned on pretty much every CE I've gotten since the beginning of the gen. Some of the early ones (Elder Scrolls IV, Bioshock) were good, but the current trend of truncated OST + "behind the scenes" trailer reel + disposable art book is just really terrible.
The only CE that in my eyes was worth it for me to get so far was Forza 3 and thats only because there were some tangible gameplay items included in the CE (I believe the new Corvette was only in the CE).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
infinityBCRT said:
heres the original promotional material...
screenshot_227306.jpg

Hmm. I can see why they'd remove the number being a handheld title and all. Plus it's kinda weird having two prequels in your numbered series.

onken

duckroll said:
Cramps are normal with extended use of the PSP, regardless of nub use or not. I agree it's a very poor device in terms of ergonomics, but the actual controls of PW are fantastic and nothing like MPO's poor implementation.

Not at all, I use it for various emulators for hours on end (d-pad, obviously) without a problem.

Oh I don't know, I nearly caved but it's been out for a while now and I have thus far resisted. Will probably end up buying it at some point.

Branson

JohngPR said:
They are probably saving the "5" moniker for the console versions.
Listen to the latest kp report. No console version. It's a signed psp exclusive. This bullshit is getting old.

Edit: if you mean anything other than pw then I'm sorry

JohngPR

Branson said:
Listen to the latest kp report. No console version. It's a signed psp exclusive. This bullshit is getting old.

Edit: if you mean anything other than pw then I'm sorry

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. :)

I meant that they are probably saving "5" for a console MGS game, not necessarily a console version of PW.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
JohngPR said:
Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear. :)

I meant that they are probably saving "5" for a console MGS game, not necessarily a console version of PW.
This is possible. It could be the case, however, that they've abandoned the numbering system for canon titles altogether to the end of making the series seem more accessible to newcomers. This is the direction the Silent Hill and Castlevania series' took after their fourth iterations, at least, and now they're all defined by subtitles.

Just a theory. I could be wrong here. We'll have to wait until after Rising to see which route KojiPro take with the "Solid" plot arc.

Top Bottom