• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker |OT| Peace Walking & Ad-HOC Partying

mehdi_san

Stayed up untill 6am yesterday night to finish chapter 4. Wow!! So many great moments. In particular, I loved the following scene:
the chopper fight with Heavens Divide playing in the background. Soooo epic :lol
. I already got the codec call informing me that
the professor escaped
so I guess I'm in chapter 5 now, right? This game just keeps getting better, even after the credits roll :lol

mehdi_san said:
Stayed up untill 6am yesterday night to finish chapter 4. Wow!! So many great moments. In particular, I loved the following scene:
the chopper fight with Heavens Divide playing in the background. Soooo epic :lol
. I already got the codec call informing me that
the professor escaped
so I guess I'm in chapter 5 now, right? This game just keeps getting better, even after the credits roll :lol

Yea i loved that scene too. :lol

and yes your in chapter 5, just do the mission and you'll see it pop up.

It's almost impossible to beat any of the bosses without killing anyone. I only have Fultons, and there is always more soliders then that. Plus, the Supply drop never gives me more Fultons.

How do you do it?

With APCs and tanks, you can kill soldiers by putting them in the path of the vehicle. You can also just shoot the soldiers if you don't want S ranks.

I wouldn't recommend going for S ranks at this point. After doing more extra ops, you'll eventually get two weapons that let you Fulton enemies -
mines that emit sleep gas and Fulton anyone in their range, and an alternate Carl Gustav that shoots sleep gas and Fultons anyone in its blast radius
. Once you have one of those (the former is almost definitely the first one you'll get, then you can start trying to S rank vehicle fights.

I've pretty much done all the Extra Op mission (at least the ones that are unlocked) expect all the boss battles. I guess going for an S rank at this point would be kind of silly. I have unlocked mines, but not the other one.

Blu_LED said:
I've pretty much done all the Extra Op mission (at least the ones that are unlocked) expect all the boss battles. I guess going for an S rank at this point would be kind of silly. I have unlocked mines, but not the other one.

With the mines, S-ranking APC fights is fairly easy, although it's very tedious. The easiest vehicles to S-rank are the helicopters that you fight in the forest area (specifically the ones where the guards come from outside the map when the previous ones are eliminated). I would practice with the LAV-G fight at the Bananal Fruta del Oro map. I'm not the person you should ask about any other helicopters or tanks, but the ones I mentioned are doable with what you have.

But for the most part, I found it was best to just fight through a lot of the bosses with lethal force, because eventually you'll start unlocking better things that will make it easier to take on the harder fights.

IrishNinja

this game is awesome so far (despite wonky controls), but i'm towards the end of chapter 2 and for the life of me, cant seem to hold up people reliably at all.

i even practiced with smoke bombs, then NVG and come up behind them, crouched or not, draw the M22 and it feels like Snake yells "Freeze!" whenever he's inclined. what's the proper way of doing this?
i know im relying too heavily on the M22, but i hate it when a level's long and the suppressor dies out, i feel useless for stealthily taking people down & then wanting to FRS them.

IrishNinja

well GAF, you never got back to me, some im just gonna keep shooting things in the head and then trying to hide, until they find me and i have to auto-aim + machine gun till no one's alive to remember i was found. :D

I found holding up to be super easy in this game. Wait until the solider stops moving, sneak up behind him slowly, wait until you see the 'R' prompt, take like one step further and pick your gun up.

IrishNinja said:
this game is awesome so far (despite wonky controls), but i'm towards the end of chapter 2 and for the life of me, cant seem to hold up people reliably at all.

You have to be really really close in PW to hold people up. When the R symbol appears to grab a hold, thats not enough. Get as close as possible without touching :D

IrishNinja

jesus, no wonder - thanks guys! i kept thinking it was like in MGS2 where you could have some distance and just point at their head or some shit. :D kills me, cause one youtube video, this dude's doing the helicopter fight and just smoke bomb + holding up like all 4 guys in the squad, FRSing them and being about his business, i wanted to do that so bad, but it felt totally random. :lol

-Winnie-

IrishNinja said:
jesus, no wonder - thanks guys! i kept thinking it was like in MGS2 where you could have some distance and just point at their head or some shit. :D kills me, cause one youtube video, this dude's doing the helicopter fight and just smoke bomb + holding up like all 4 guys in the squad, FRSing them and being about his business, i wanted to do that so bad, but it felt totally random. :lol

Don't forget, you can CQC them onto the ground and hold them up while they're down as well. Much less risky.

onken

Stealthing helicopter and tank battles are piece of cake since the soldiers spawn like crazy, just popping smoke non-stop and blasting them with the FL, but holy shit the APC battles are TERRIBLE.

Is there any way to get them to drop off reinforcements faster? Sometimes they drive about for literally 2-3 minutes between each wave. On a 36 soldier fight, that's a long fucking time. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

Also, nearly got lv99 on all my squads now, the best guy for missions so far is SBBBSSSS with channeler and pro wrestling maniac. Do you ever get straight S soliders or is this about as good as it gets?

-Winnie-

I got about 2 straight S soldiers through WiFi recruiting. WiFi recruits in general seem to be a lot better than anybody I find in actual missions.

onken said:
Also, nearly got lv99 on all my squads now, the best guy for missions so far is SBBBSSSS with channeler and pro wrestling maniac. Do you ever get straight S soliders or is this about as good as it gets?
My best one is ASSSSSSS (when morale is high) with Green Beret, Channeler and Sidekick. His name is Woodcock and he looks like a hobo. I love him.
I MAY have gotten him in extra ops 100 but I'm not sure.

-Winnie- said:
I got about 2 straight S soldiers through WiFi recruiting. WiFi recruits in general seem to be a lot better than anybody I find in actual missions.
How exactly does WiFi recruiting work? Is it like once a day per access point?

Yen

Blu_LED said:
How exactly does WiFi recruiting work? Is it like once a day per access point?
Once every 2 days if you're using your home WiFi. I'm sure you could recruit as many as you want in town.

EekTheKat

My best soldier has SWAT, Pro Wrestling, and Sidekick. Can't remember where I got him but his personal quote is "You stay here. I'll have this next mission wrapped up in no time." :lol

He grew into an all S Ranking, and now he's like the Brock Samson of my MSF.

Second best soldier is a female soldier with glasses that has Channeler, Sidekick, and Green Beret. Her shooting skill is only an A but the Green Beret skill is nice to have in the field.

IIRC, both came from wifi with a relatively high hero score (90k).

mehdi_san

YES! I just finished ch.5 ! Was that the real ending? Or is there something else once I complete all the extra ops? I loved the last battle scene, but I was expecting at all to hear that song during the battle :lol

Yen

mehdi_san said:
YES! I just finished ch.5 ! Was that the real ending? Or is there something else once I complete all the extra ops? I loved the last battle scene, but I was expecting at all to hear that song during the battle :lol
Finish all extra ops. I haven't done it yet either :(

mehdi_san

Yenrot said:
Beat a Custom Boss battles for
Lesbian fanfic
Nice! I should start working on the custom boss battles right away then !
I started doing the wifi recruiting thing today, and I got so many good recruits : S-rank and A-rank engineers and cooks, so awesome. I can finally develop rank 5 rations. I had to fire about 100 people though ^^

mehdi_san said:
Nice! I should start working on the custom boss battles right away then !
I started doing the wifi recruiting thing today, and I got so many good recruits : S-rank and A-rank engineers and cooks, so awesome. I can finally develop rank 5 rations. I had to fire about 100 people though ^^
Did you just walk around with it or something? I feel like just walking down my block would get me so many good soliders.

I wish this game had that DQ thing, where it scans for players while the game is on standby, only it would be for WiFi spots. I would just walk around with my PSP in my pocket everywhere.

mehdi_san

Blu_LED said:
Did you just walk around with it or something? I feel like just walking down my block would get me so many good soliders.

I wish this game had that DQ thing, where it scans for players while the game is on standby, only it would be for WiFi spots. I would just walk around with my PSP in my pocket everywhere.
I was actually on my bicycle, and went around the university campus. I was getting around 8 soldiers in front of each building :D

onken

lol the EM Net is a riot, pity it's useless against the harder vehicles unless you're in co-op.

Anyway, finished all outer ops and ex ops except Peace Walker Custom, haven't even bothered since you apparently can't even beat it single player.

Yen

onken said:
lol the EM Net is a riot, pity it's useless against the harder vehicles unless you're in co-op.

Anyway, finished all outer ops and ex ops except Peace Walker Custom, haven't even bothered since you apparently can't even beat it single player.

You can.

onken said:

You can beat PW Custom solo, especially if you have the M47. It's not too hard to S-Rank it.

-Winnie-

duckroll said:
I just realized this thread has more views now than the number of copies the game might ever sell in the US... ever. :(

It hasn't even gone past 200,000 in sales? God Jesus, what is wrong with people? :(

duckroll

-Winnie- said:
It hasn't even gone past 200,000 in sales? God Jesus, what is wrong with people? :(

It sold a mere 50k or so in the first month. The entire first month. It was released on the 8th of June. The ENTIRE month. 50k. :(

>_<

-_-

T_T

-Winnie-

duckroll said:
It sold a mere 50k or so in the first month. The entire first month. It was released on the 8th of June. The ENTIRE month. 50k. :(

>_<

-_-

T_T

What?! Jeez, that's really depressing... I could've sworn even Portable Ops did more than that in the first month.
Man... :(

jimid2

Neo Member
onken said:

Of course you can... I beat it my first attempt... S Ranked it on my second attempt... :lol

duckroll said:
I just realized this thread has more views now than the number of copies the game might ever sell in the US... ever. :(

Only 50,000 sold copies in a month here? That's really tragic... It defies all reason that there can be more than 60 million PSPs sold and yet a game this artfully realized sells so poorly... If this is the best that a true MGS game can do on the PSP, what hope is there for Valkyria Chronicles or Tactics Ogre?

I don't want to open the old can of worms about PSP piracy here, but I think these sales numbers for MGS:pW drive home the enormous amount of damage done by Custom Firmware to Sony's bottom line more than anything else I've read to date... Great games based on hugely popular franchises should sell well, period. It's very sad, because I've truly enjoyed being able to play many of my PSX titles over again on my CFW PSP1001 - but I can't in good conscience support cracking firmwares of any future systems (PSP2/3DS) if this is the end result... Very sad...

Jigsaw

Banned
duckroll said:

>_<

-_-

T_T

does this include hardware bundles?psp had a pretty big jump back then,so maybe 20-30k bought the bundle?still sad,hope bbs and pe3 will do better

rvy

Banned
duckroll said:

>_<

-_-

T_T
You expected different?

onken said:
Is there any way to get them to drop off reinforcements faster? Sometimes they drive about for literally 2-3 minutes between each wave. On a 36 soldier fight, that's a long fucking time. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

They shouldn't take that long unless they've been disturbed. They sometimes park once before doing a new drop off, but it's never more than one extra stop.
The fastest way is to simply follow right behind the APC, and as soon as he starts to call out the new troops, drop a fulton mine behind or to the left of the vehicle, depending on the exit type. Quickly run back out of range and shoot it with a tranq gun if the guards don't set it off themselves.

Works like a charm once you've got the technique down. Don't put it too close to the rear doors, or it can be set off before all the guards have spawned.

jimid2

Neo Member
darkwing said:
lol check the attach rate for PSP software :p im surprised it even sold 50k in NA, that means VC2 might sell 20k if lucky XD
I'm sure you're correct, but I don't see it as a "lol" kinda thing... The PSP is a beautiful piece of hardware - the best handheld produced to date, imho, leaving go the Pandora and 3DS - and Peace Walker is a worthy addition to a righteous series; they deserve far better than this, I believe... :(

Top Bottom