• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
fuck. How about they tell us the price before people will need to preorder for retail?

Oh well, I got it for close to that price, and its big so its a good use for the card slot in the Vita.

If you plan on completing everything (especially without guides), it will take you a good amount of time too.

Finally got around to this.
Going through MGS2 and LOVING it.
What other game can I get consecutive trophies for: improving my grip,kissing a poster,jerkoff at poster/locker then stuff a dude in that nasty locker?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Finally started playing. How do you pick up a knocked out guard in MGS2?

Tap the weapon icon on screen to unequip, then press and hold the square button while standing over/next to him.

I totally forgot about the Kerotan in Volgin's room.. and even the hanger before him. Last save is 3 hours before that. Euro Extreme.

Fuck. I'm about to uninstall...

Toma

I totally forgot about the Kerotan in Volgin's room.. and even the hanger before him. Last save is 3 hours before that. Euro Extreme.

Fuck. I'm about to uninstall...

Hm? Just get them on your next playthrough. Or was it necessary to get all of them in one playthrough? That would be annoying.

If there is enough free space I'd get it digitally. Enough content with the VR missions to pop it in once in a while.

Others would have a different opinion about that though :p

Id agree on that as long as he can return the physical copy. I am finding it a pick up and play for a few minutes type of game as well.

I said something in the vita OT but ill ask here as it pertains to MGS2.
When i goto first person i get alot of Jank where it flips to third like i let go of right trigger....is that common or is my right trigger wonky?

hmm someone said they had no probs in Vita OT....seems its me.....goddammit this is a Sony replace unit as well i dont wanna wait for ANOTHER replacement

Toma

Id agree on that as long as he can return the physical copy. I am finding it a pick up and play for a few minutes type of game as well.

I said something in the vita OT but ill ask here as it pertains to MGS2.
When i goto first person i get alot of Jank where it flips to third like i let go of right trigger....is that common or is my right trigger wonky?

hmm someone said they had no probs in Vita OT....seems its me.....goddammit this is a Sony replace unit as well i dont wanna wait for ANOTHER replacement

Well, I think I get what you are saying, and that happens to me accidentally quite often since you need to press the trigger far down or it will get into normal view mode again.

you need to press the trigger far down

This.
So its not my unit this is common?
I can actually feel that last little soft umph on the trigger so i was thinking faulty trigger on my unit but if its common ill live.

I cant live another 2weeks+ waiting on sony

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You were closer :(

If there is enough free space I'd get it digitally. Enough content with the VR missions to pop it in once in a while.

Others would have a different opinion about that though :p

you need one card in your Vita anyway. Might as well be a big capacity one, frees up space on your memory card for more digital games. If you leave it in, its effectively the same as having it downloaded - its always available

Toma

This.
So its not my unit this is common?
I can actually feel that last little soft umph on the trigger so i was thinking faulty trigger on my unit but if its common ill live.

I cant live another 2weeks+ waiting on sony

Yeah, thats probably just how the trigger works.

Toma

Audίoboxer;39286817 said:
Debating whether to get this on the Vita first or PS3 :(

"First"? Want to buy both? All depends on the amount of time you have dedicated to your TV or whether you prefer playing in short bursts I guess.

I love playing a bit before going to bed, especially since I can literally pick up and play within 3 seconds, whereas turning on PS3, loading up the game, loading savegame etc... would feel like taking ages if I just want to play until I am sleepy. It also feels really well on this small little machine, but yeah, you'd get Peace Walker on PS3, which was a very good game too. I definitely would prefer playing that on Vita though. Hoping for a rerelease.

Mzo

How am I supposed to hold the R trigger and simultaneously do a goatse on the back panel to stand on my tiptoes in first person? It's super awkward =[ Even left and right first person leaning is awkward.

Aside from that I am still constantly amazed that I'm playing MGS2 on a handheld. So good.

Audioboxer

"First"? Want to buy both? All depends on the amount of time you have dedicated to your TV or whether you prefer playing in short bursts I guess.

I love playing a bit before going to bed, especially since I can literally pick up and play within 3 seconds, whereas turning on PS3, loading up the game, loading savegame etc... would feel like taking ages if I just want to play until I am sleepy. It also feels really well on this small little machine, but yeah, you'd get Peace Walker on PS3, which was a very good game too. I definitely would prefer playing that on Vita though. Hoping for a rerelease.

I would like to yeah, as I've never played Peacewalker. The dilemma though is I love gaming on my Vita in bed as well haha. That and I want to bulk up my Vita library a bit.

It seems the Vita port is of good quality, and right now I can get it cheaper than the PS3 HD collection.

Toma

How am I supposed to hold the R trigger and simultaneously do a goatse on the back panel to stand on my tiptoes in first person? It's super awkward =[ Even left and right first person leaning is awkward.

Aside from that I am still constantly amazed that I'm playing MGS2 on a handheld. So good.

Does this work for you?
"What finally worked for me reliably was putting two fingers of my hand next to each other in the middle of the backpad, and then pushing them up. Let go, and doing the same again."

Audίoboxer;39287078 said:
I would like to yeah, as I've never played Peacewalker. The dilemma though is I love gaming on my Vita in bed as well haha. That and I want to bulk up my Vita library a bit.

It seems the Vita port is of good quality, and right now I can get it cheaper than the PS3 HD collection.

Yeah, MGS in bed is a perfect fit. If you enjoy that, I'd consider getting the Vita version. Missing Peace Walker is unfortunate, but then you can join us hoping for a Vita rerelease :p I am currently not that bothered by Peace Walker missing since I am probably getting 100+ hours out of the Vita collection anyway.
Or just grab the PSP version at some point. Its a good game even then.

Mzo

Does this work for you?
"What finally worked for me reliably was putting two fingers of my hand in next to each other in the middle of the backpad, and then pushing them up. Let go, and doing the same again."
I haven't had problems with the back touchpad registering my motions (except when it turns off for no reason? What is that?) but my point is that my right hand's index finger is holding down R, that means my right hand's middle finger needs to work the touchpad and that feels awkward to me. I can reach it, but then having to do the sliding motion is rough.

Toma

I haven't had problems with the back touchpad registering my motions (except when it turns off for no reason? What is that?) but my point is that my right hand's index finger is holding down R, that means my right hand's middle finger needs to work the touchpad and that feels awkward to me. I can reach it, but then having to do the sliding motion is rough.

You could hold the Vita in only your right hand and then do the motion I described above with your left hand. Thats how I am doing it at least.

winjet81

Use the fingers of your left hand to work the touchpad.

suikodan

Stupid question about MGS2.
How can you smack the locker's door when inside it (while playing on VITA)?

It's for the trophy where Snake is having pleasure while looking at a poster. IIRC he must "smack" the poster then call Otacon

You don't have to pull outside with both fingers to stand. I have my index fingers on the shoulder buttons and my middle fingers just resting in as comfortable a spot as can be on the back touch pad and then I just pull both middle fingers down. You'll stand if you pull down. Hell, I used to pull my fingers up and though it works, it felt really strange. Pulling down is much, much better. There isn't too much range of motion or sliding you have to do compared to pulling outside, so it feels more comfortable to me than sliding outside to lean. It actually feels very natural to me. Hopefully that can help you.

I would've preferred using the motion sensor to lean, but I don't mind the current method. My hands don't really ever move when using the back touch so I don't loose any control of the Vita itself.

Mzo

Use the fingers of your left hand to work the touchpad.
What?

I go into first person mode to shoot things. I need to hold the first person mode button, hold the square button, use two middle fingers to tiptoe up and then use my left thumb to aim the gun.

My left hand is busy playing the game.

Granted, I don't do it very often, but I do it for like, shooting out the topmost box with the green light to deactivate the explosives on the tanker, or to peek out from behind crates during combat.

Toma

Stupid question about MGS2.

It's for the trophy where Snake is having pleasure while looking at a poster. IIRC he must "smack" the poster then call Otacon

Just go to a sexy locker pic, look at it closely and then call Otacon while looking at it. You might need to try a few times until the game recognizes the poster, but its not too hard. Also only works with SEXY posters, not the normal ones.

There is another achievement for kissing a poster though, that one was a bit more tricky.

Mzo

On the PS3 it happened from pressing the button too hard. I don't think it's possible to smash your face into the locker door from the inside on the Vita. Luckily, you don't need to. Go into first person, look at the picture, hit select. The end.

You don't have to pull outside with both fingers to stand. I have my index fingers on the shoulder buttons and my middle fingers just resting in as comfortable a spot as can be on the back touch pad and then I just pull both middle fingers down.
The manual said to spread them apart! If down works that is much, much better, thanks!

The manual said to spread them apart! If down works that is much, much better, thanks!

Yeah, I think pulling the fingers away from each other is the official way, but it always felt a little awkward. So I tried pulling my fingers down and it works perfect. I like to think of it as pushing yourself off the ground when you pull your fingers down. Hopefully that works for you!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wow, so this is my 3rd time playing through MGS3, and I just realized how to "Stalk" in order to sneak up on enemies. Kicking myself for not knowing this years ago.

Toma

Wow, so this is my 3rd time playing through MGS3, and I just realized how to "Stalk" in order to sneak up on enemies. Kicking myself for not knowing this years ago.

What do you mean?

BigTnaples

What do you mean?

I always tried to sneak up on enemies like you do in MGS2, IE just walking up behind them slowly.

However they always turned around because they would hear my footsteps no matter what.

I had no clue in my first 2 playthroughs that you had to use the "Stalk" button to silence your footsteps.

Now I can sneak up on enemies as I am used to doing in the first 2...

I am an idiot for not figuring this out when MGS3 launched, let alone when I replayed it after MGS4...

I always tried to sneak up on enemies like you do in MGS2, IE just walking up behind them slowly.

However they always turned around because they would hear my footsteps no matter what.

I had no clue in my first 2 playthroughs that you had to use the "Stalk" button to silence your footsteps.

I am an idiot for not figuring this out when MGS3 launched, let alone when I replayed it after MGS4...

lmao i got so tired of that happening when I first played mgs3 that I looked it up on google and saw you were supposed to stalk with the dpad. I stalked up on everybody after that.

So what exactly do you do this?

2San

lmao i got so tired of that happening when I first played mgs3 that I looked it up on google and saw you were supposed to stalk with the dpad. I stalked up on everybody after that.
I never knew this. I always used to think; "Damn, they really made MGS3 harder".

I never knew this. I always used to think; "Damn, they really made MGS3 harder".

for the record im not sure if thats the case on the vita version. But I do know it is for the PS2 and i think ps3/360 versions.

edit: Looked it up, apparently it's L for stalking on vita version.
Can't say for sure since I haven't tried out my self.

BigTnaples

for the record im not sure if thats the case on the vita version. But I do know it is for the PS2 and i think ps3/360 versions.

edit: Looked it up, apparently it's L for stalking on vita version.
Can't say for sure since I haven't tried out my self.

Yup, this is how I found it out. Game will be SO much easier now.

Thank God since now I am playing on Hard...

Top Bottom