• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After a little research I found this (second comment), it's from April and the only article I found where it says that MGS3 is 60fps.

http://www.pixeljumpers.com/2012/04...ands-on-snake-hits-the-small-screen-in-style/

7d37ec763735c87488175bd5e838307c36019f9e.png
Oh wow, I hope this is indeed the case. I was actually expecting MGS3 to operate at 30 fps, to be honest, but if it's really 60 then I'm impressed.

Why would I be impressed that an old PS2 game is operating at 60 fps? Well, let's be honest here, the console versions of the HD Collection COULD NOT hold 60 fps throughout with MGS3. They came very close to this, but there were definitely drops and hiccups present. With the Vita, then, I kind of expected those hitches to be even more severe to the point where they just drop to 30 fps instead.

Perhaps the framerate explains why these ports run at a lower than native resolution?

Ridley327

Oh wow, I hope this is indeed the case. I was actually expecting MGS3 to operate at 30 fps, to be honest, but if it's really 60 then I'm impressed.

Why would I be impressed that an old PS2 game is operating at 60 fps? Well, let's be honest here, the console versions of the HD Collection COULD NOT hold 60 fps throughout with MGS3. They came very close to this, but there were definitely drops and hiccups present. With the Vita, then, I kind of expected those hitches to be even more severe to the point where they just drop to 30 fps instead.

Perhaps the framerate explains why these ports run at a lower than native resolution?

I don't know what other reason there could be for sub-native other than that. I seriously doubt that the touch-screen integration is taxing.

Eusis

Ok, so FPS is covered... what about sound quality? If they managed to keep sound quality perfect I'm definitely sold... though maybe not right away, Gungnir, Gravity Rush, and Pikmin 2 are out next week, and if I'm going to rebuy an old game it may as well be the one I haven't beaten before.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm still debating whether or not I should buy this ... again. Mostly waiting to hear how well it controls. I'm glad the framerate is a solid 60 fps, that's more important than native resolution IMO.

(posted this in the Vita thread cause I forgot there was an OT thread lol)

If you live in NYC, you can pick this game up (along with Gravity Rush) right now.

Still not sure what the rules are when it comes to posting the locations. It's one of those mom and pop stores, but one of the well known ones. If anything, feel free to PM me.

Won't have a chance to really get into it since I'm headed back out but I'll see if I can take a few screenshots before leaving.

Recorded a quick video of MGS 2: http://youtu.be/svjYLS8LJ3w?hd=1

And here's a pic of how transfarring works in case anyone was wondering (grabbed from the online manual):

My best buy just let me buy it. Was sitting out without a price, thought it'd ding at the register or something. Nope. Too bad I'm about to drive three hours, so can't play it. No Gravity Rush either.

EDIT: Alright. Got home. MGS3 is 60FPS.

Makes me want a Vita now so I can play this on the go. I just got done playing a session of MGS 3 HD, so amazing!

Yeah. Just finished 3 on the 360 not long ago. It's so nice looking on the Vita though, I'll probably play it again once I'm done with two.

Still can't believe Best Buy actually let me buy it.

Letep

Yeah. Just finished 3 on the 360 not long ago. It's so nice looking on the Vita though, I'll probably play it again once I'm done with two.

Still can't believe Best Buy actually let me buy it.

Which state do you live in?

I thought I was done hunting and was just going to wait until Tuesday for this.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
About how long does mgs1 take to beat?, because I wanna beat it by the 12th without playing nonstop.

It's probably like... 6 hours or so your first time through? I remember people complaining about how short it was when it came out, now that I think about it... it's like 2 hours if you skip the cutscenes.

It's probably like... 6 hours or so your first time through? I remember people complaining about how short it was when it came out, now that I think about it... it's like 2 hours if you skip the cutscenes.

Woah, that's unexpected. Regardless, it is awesome so far. Playing on remote play, getting ready for the HD collection.

CSX

Alright, convinced myself to get this when i got a amazon gift card lol

Are these two versions the enhanced versions of the originals as in MGS3 is the version with the rotating camera ? blanking out on the subtitle right now.

KillGore

Alright, convinced myself to get this when i got a amazon gift card lol

Are these two versions the enhanced versions of the originals as in MGS3 is the version with the rotating camera ? blanking out on the subtitle right now.

Yes

Stupid question, but I heard the trophy transfer system is going to be like that of Motorstorm rc, right? So does that men I should wait to start earning on vita, or is it safe to start on my ps3 version, and it'll pop on vita as well?

Luigiv

Not to ruin your OP since it's a good one but both games run at sub native resolution so I wouldn't include the part about them running at qHD since it's misleading but otherwise it's a very good OP.

I just realised, the game is completely incorrectly named. Should by titled, Metal Gear Solid Sub-SD Collection.

KillGore

Stupid question, but I heard the trophy transfer system is going to be like that of Motorstorm rc, right? So does that men I should wait to start earning on vita, or is it safe to start on my ps3 version, and it'll pop on vita as well?

How is the transfer system in Motorstorm? how does that work? is there one list for both games? what if you unlock a trophy on PS3 version and then boot up your Vita version, will you unlock the trophy there as well? I know all the rest of the games have a separate list, even if it's the same game, but I wonder how transfarring will work.

SmithnCo

I'd like confirmation as well.

Seperate lists, but trophies earned carry over?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

It took me around 10 hours the first time.

If you beat it in 6 hours you are really rushing. And if you skip Cut Scenes you are missing the point..

Reclaimer

Doubting between going retail or digital. Anything I should know about loading times?
I'm on the fence on which version I should get.

Digital or Physical. Does the physical version have reversible cover?

Retail is always a second or two faster. I love having all my games with me and not having to switch carts all the time. Jumping around between full retail titles on a whim gives me the same awesome feeling as it does with a PC and Steam. Even better for a handheld.

Question for you MGS heads: I only played a and full of hours of MGS2 on PS2, never touched 3. Would the vita version or the PS360 version of this collection suit me better? Do these games experiences suit the handheld format well? Or am I better off on the big screen TV?

Branson

Going digital when this comes out, but I don't need it! Oh well. Mgs on the go sounds great. Im feeling a bit like going on a Vita kick so I might buy a psp game like Logan's Shadow or something.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
If it is rendered sub native, frame rate wouldn't be the reason, just a consequence. The assets of these games are entirely manageable by Vita's hardware assuming enough optimization.

A fairly solid 60 fps was an easy guess for both games on Vita.

matmanx1

I forgot about Transfarring. I've already got the Vita version paid off at Gamestop for Tuesday (along with Gravity Rush) but am now tempted to pick up a PS3 copy just so I can pick up where I left off and have the option of playing on both systems. And 60fps is great. I can deal with sub qHD if the framerate is silky smooth.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
The only thing wrong with the PW thing is that you can't transfar the PS3 version of Peace Walker with the download PSP version of Peace Walker on the Vita. :0\

I really hope they fix that...I'm actually surprised they haven't. I'm hoping that maybe they will when you can buy PW directly through the Vita store

Blame Sony for wrapping up everything to do with an app/game into its single Vita bubble. Or rather, blame PSP hackers.

Top Bottom