• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Piggus

After reading that both games run at 60 fps and at native resolution, I jumped in. I have played through MGS2 and MGS3 more times than I can count. Probably more than 15 times each, and I STILL discover something new every time... I just can't get enough of this series. It's unfortunate that such an awesome story is so hard to explain to people who have not/will not play these games. You truly have to play them to understand the emotions that they try to instill.

@_@ I was in Urbana/Champaign for 4 years decades ago.

I'm actually from Charleston, which is a fairly small town like 40 minutes south of Champaign. Just in Peoria for a few years while my wife goes to PT school.

Champaign is our closest real city with a real mall, best buy, and what not.

So can anyone confirm or deny native resolution? What about 30 vs 60 fps?

Looks like 60FPS on both games on my Vita. Back of the case says: The resolution of this title is qHD (960pixels x 544pixels).

I'm on the fence on which version I should get.

Digital or Physical. Does the physical version have reversible cover?

No?

Idk. Portable Ops had a cool reversible cover I remember the most. Forgot if Peace Walker had one, but still, was hoping it would have one.
Peace Walker didn't have a reverse artwork on its package insert. I doubt MGS HD will either since PSVita game cases are an opaque blue rather than transparent blue.

Newegg shipped my copy this morning. Does it speak more about the quality of the games or about us gamers when we get just as excited for every MGS re-release as we do new release haha?

Chesskid1

Banned
i jumped in.

should have it tomorrow.

plays mgs1 like 10 years ago, mgs2 when it first came out and mgs4 when it first came out. never played any other in the series, and those i played was a hella long time ago so i'll have no idea of the story.

hope i'm not too confused playing mgs2, lol. i was hoping to replay mgs1 on ps classic but i guess not, don't want to wait.

i ordered it at 3:53 am last night on amazon, it shipped at 1pm, and scheduled for tomorow (no RDD)

i jumped in.

should have it tomorrow.

plays mgs1 like 10 years, mgs2 when it first came out and mgs4 when it first came out. never played any other in the series, and those i played was a hella long time ago so i'll have no idea of the story.

hope i'm not too confused playing mgs2, lol. i was hoping to replay mgs1 on ps classic but i guess not, don't want to wait.

i ordered it at 3:53 am last night on amazon, it shipped at 1pm, and scheduled for tomorow (no RDD)

what shipping option did you get?

2012-06-11-163910-1.jpg

2012-06-11-164529.jpg

Random pics I just took lol.

I am extremely jealous of those getting to play through these games for the first time. Possibly the best moments of my gaming history. I know there is a LTTP thread for the MGS games, but either in this thread or that thread, please leave your opinions. It amazes me how well these games are still received (usually anyways).

AkuMifune

Banned
Any chance this'll go up early on PSN? (cue lols).

Just sad that physical copies will be in Vita's for half a day before we even get the chance to buy it from the PSN store.

I am extremely jealous of those getting to play through these games for the first time. Possibly the best moments of my gaming history. I know there is a LTTP thread for the MGS games, but either in this thread or that thread, please leave your opinions. It amazes me how well these games are still received (usually anyways).

Yep, just finished mgs1 for the first time. It is an incredibly engrossing experience. I love the story and all the tension. It was a pretty hard game though. I can't believe how hard it would be without the radar. Anyway, I cannot wait to play mgs2 tomorrow. Already played mgs4, which is my favorite game of all time.

Edit - yep, I haven't played mgs3 either.

Yep, just finished mgs1 for the first time. It is an incredibly engrossing experience. I love the story and all the tension. It was a pretty hard game though. I can't believe how hard it would be without the radar. Anyway, I cannot wait to play mgs2 tomorrow. Already played mgs4, which is my favorite game of all time.

Assuming you havent played MGS3 yet, your opinion will change very soon.

senahorse

As an Australian I have to wait another month for this game to come out and thought I should finally finish mgs1 before it does.

What's the best way to play mgs1?

On a ps1/2 on a CRT, ps3, psp, emulator?

As an Australian I have to wait another month for this game to come out and thought I should finally finish mgs1 before it does.

What's the best way to play mgs1?

On a ps1/2 on a CRT, ps3, psp, emulator?

I would imagine it would be best on a crt if you have one laying around.

inner-G

Banned
I think it only says that because "HD collection" would be otherwise false advertising. The Vita's res is that.

Yeah, much like PS3/360 games never say 540p or whatever if theyre sub-HD, they always just say 720p or whatever it is internally scaled to.

We needs some pixel counters up in here.

Ridley327

Yeah, much like PS3/360 games never say 544p, they always just say 720p or whatever it is internally scaled to.

We needs some pixel counters up in here.

The screens that people have been posting from the game look very similar to the ones that KojiPro had been showing, so it's safe to say that it's still sub-native.

Eusis

Blame Sony for wrapping up everything to do with an app/game into its single Vita bubble. Or rather, blame PSP hackers.
That doesn't work here, PSP save data remains distinct and I continue to doubt the benefit to anti-hacking there simply because there's still the block of data that retail games use. That, and it's the same stupid trend we're seeing with iOS and I believe Android devices, even the DSi does it. Basically the whole tech industry's gone collectively stupid about how to handle mobile programs and setting/save data.

C-Jo

I'm really disappointed this doesn't include Peace Walker. I'm playing it for the first time right now and it sure would be nice to transfarr my progress to my Vita.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The screens that people have been posting from the game look very similar to the ones that KojiPro had been showing, so it's safe to say that it's still sub-native.

Disappointing. Not so much for MGS3, but for the VR missions. All those straight lines and angles could look really bad at non-native res and then scaled up

Cyntec

Disappointing. Not so much for MGS3, but for the VR missions. All those straight lines and angles could look really bad at non-native res and then scaled up

I can't believe this. On the (German) product page Konami write the games will be "reworked in high definition". So you are saying they lie to me? Don't make me sad :(

I've never played either game so i feel like i'm going to be listening to Nirvana: Nevermind for the first time or something.

I expect to be wowed :)

Top Bottom