• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Vita |OT| Snake in your pants!

Micerider

MGS 3 is the only MGS I never played...I have Vita...hhmm I think I'll jump in :)

Too bad the games are only out late June in Europe.

Omikaru

I need more money. Struggling to find cash for this, Zero Escape and Gravity Rush. P4 Golden already paid for, though. :)

I have the HD Collection on PS3 already, so this should technically be on the bottom of my list, but I know I won't play MGS2 VR Missions unless I have a handheld to play them on.

That said, I play MGS 1, 2, and 3 at least once a year. Having them on the go is going to be revolutionary to me.

Mr.Fresh

I own this on PS3 but I'm still gonna buy this since I'm gonna be away from my PS3 all summer. If I play on vita will I still have all my trophies?

Kazerei

Banned
I just took advantage of a FutureShop trade-in deal to swap my PS3 copy for the Vita version. That solved the question of double-dipping for me :)

icespide

Banned
MGS HD, Gravity Rush, Rayman Origins, and the vita portable battery all delivered this morning. work day getting longer...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn it. Not native res then?

Is not half the fucking point of an HD collection to upgrade the damned resolution.

Ridiculous. But I will still buy because I am a sucker.

I'm one of the three people that just talked to wario (@foryourpetedodd).

I haven't tried MGS3 yet, but MGS2 is very, very smooth. I am not the worlds greatest frame counter, but this feels smoother than a typical game to me. Much like MK does. Which makes me think its 60.

But unless I see stuff side by side I have a hard time noticing. So i may be completely wrong. I don't think so though.

Has anyone tried transfarring? I have a ton of dog tags for MGS2 on the PS3 version, and I wanted to do a playthrough on a higher difficulty on the Vita version to obtain more.

I'm hoping its available today and that the PS3 version doesn't need a patch.

I agree with the above posters. I would take 30 fps and native resolution on this game anyday. I fully expect this to look just as good as the PS3 version considering the pixel density. I can't wait to play it on a handheld (it still blows my mind to type that).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so I played more MGS2 and the results are not bad but definitely not as good as they should be.

Basically, it runs with double buffered v-sync enabled which means that it will switch between either 30 fps or 60 fps. More demanding scenes are 30 while the simpler scenes switch to 60. The rainy tanker is all 30 but when you step inside it jumps to 60 fps. Unfortunately, when the camera faces certain directions or the action becomes busy the framerate dips back to 30.

All cutscenes seem limited to 30 fps max as are the codec scenes. With this kind of performance they should have just locked it down to 30.

It's not native resolution either. It seems to run at a higher resolution than the likes of Uncharted, thankfully, but it's definitely sub-qHD. At least menu and HUD elements are all razor sharp.

That said, even like this, it's vastly superior to the god awful 3DS port of Snake Eater which topped out at 20 fps while still suffering from slowdown.

dark10x

MGS2 isn't 60fps at all times and it's not native res? How is that possible?
Non-BluePoint port? There is another name listed when the game boots up.

With the Vita selling poorly and so few copies of the game being shipped I'd say they didn't have a lot of faith in the product and didn't spend the time necessary to make it right.

Blows away the Silent Hill Collection at least. :p

Ridley327

Non-BluePoint port? There is another name listed when the game boots up.

With the Vita selling poorly and so few copies of the game being shipped I'd say they didn't have a lot of faith in the product and didn't spend the time necessary to make it right.

Blows away the Silent Hill Collection at least. :p

Armature Studios (headed up by former Retro Studios guys) handled this one. Really disappointing to hear that they got MGS2 to run worse than it did on the PS2.

OK, so I played more MGS2 and the results are not bad but definitely not as good as they should be.

Basically, it runs with double buffered v-sync enabled which means that it will switch between either 30 fps or 60 fps. More demanding scenes are 30 while the simpler scenes switch to 60. The rainy tanker is all 30 but when you step inside it jumps to 60 fps. Unfortunately, when the camera faces certain directions or the action becomes busy the framerate dips back to 30.

All cutscenes seem limited to 30 fps max as are the codec scenes. With this kind of performance they should have just locked it down to 30.

It's not native resolution either. It seems to run at a higher resolution than the likes of Uncharted, thankfully, but it's definitely sub-qHD. At least menu and HUD elements are all razor sharp.

That said, even like this, it's vastly superior to the god awful 3DS port of Snake Eater which topped out at 20 fps while still suffering from slowdown.

Thanks for the clarification on the games. Can I add this info the first post, that way, maybe people won't ask as much about the fps and the resolution.

MGS2 not being 60fps really rubs me the wrong way. Have you reached the tanker hold section with all the soldiers, how's the frame rate there, complete crap?

dark10x

Armature Studios (headed up by former Retro Studios guys) handled this one. Really disappointing to hear that they got MGS2 to run worse than it did on the PS2.
Really? Former Retro guys? I'm completely shocked to hear that.

I'm really curious to know more about the technical underpinnings to this game (or any of the HD Collections).

Either the Vita is a lot weaker than we had anticipated or porting from the PS2 is still pretty tough and not something the Vita is cut out for me. I mean the PS3 and 360 versions of MGS2 and 3 had their own bits of slowdown (mostly in MGS3, though) so with the Vita having less overall power on tap it doesn't seem that far-fetched.

MGS2 not being 60fps all the time really rubs me the wrong way. Have you reached the tanker hold section with all the soldiers, how's the frame rate there, complete crap?
Yeah. Thus far it's just as I said. Either 30 fps or 60 fps. It has never dropped under 30 fps.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I'm really curious to know more about the technical underpinnings to this game (or any of the HD Collections).

Either the Vita is a lot weaker than we had anticipated or porting from the PS2 is still pretty tough and not something the Vita is cut out for me. I mean the PS3 and 360 versions of MGS2 and 3 had their own bits of slowdown (mostly in MGS3, though) so with the Vita having less overall power on tap it doesn't seem that far-fetched.
I chalk it up to dev time. Look at LBP Vita, it's gorgeous. I know it's not some HD port but it shows a lot of what Vita can do.

Synless

Interesting, well either way, it's still the best handheld version of MGS. I doubt that will change anytime soon either.

dark10x

Do you recommend the Vita version, at least?
Sure. It's still pretty good and seeing these games on the Vita remains impressive to me. If you're NOT an MGS fan and HAVE played other versions it's tough to recommend.

I chalk it up to dev time. Look at LBP Vita, it's gorgeous. I know it's not some HD port but it shows a lot of what Vita can do.
Yeah, I suppose that's right. I mean, after all, there have been some atrocious looking 3DS games released that don't even begin to compare to its best titles. Rayman 3D running at sub-30 fps with tons of glitches? Shinobi with its PSX quality models running at 30 fps. I could go on. Then you see Kid Icarus, Mario, or RE:Revelations and you're like "oh yeah, this is pretty good".

Same deal with Vita. Honestly, Virtua Tennis 4 is still perhaps the most impressive thing I've seen on the system.

Ridley327

Yeah. Thus far it's just as I said. Either 30 fps or 60 fps. It has never dropped under 30 fps.

It certainly helps explain the apparent deconfirmation of ZOE on the Vita that we've been witnessing. If MGS2 is having these kinds of problems on the Vita, then I'm sure that ZOE2 would bring that system to its knees, regardless of the reasons why.

dark10x

It certainly helps explain the apparent deconfirmation of ZOE on the Vita that we've been witnessing. If MGS2 is having these kinds of problems on the Vita, then I'm sure that ZOE2 would bring that system to its knees, regardless of the reasons why.
Oh yeah, I have serious doubts that ZOE2 would turn out well if they had these problems porting MGS2. The fact that the console showings of ZOE2 HD have featured sub-60 fps framerates is another issue.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Does the framerate in MGS2 behave like it did on PS2?

In the PS2 version when the framerate slowed, the game would go into "slower motion" rather than look choppy.

It was a weird effect, but far less distracting than choppy frames.

Luckily framerate does not matter to me either (30 vs. 60 that is. If a game is plagued with constant slowdown, that is a different story).

I'm putting these in the middle of my current MGS series playthrough. I normally go with the game timeline order (3, PO, PW, MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS4), but I figured I'd do it the way it was meant to be played, so I've completed MG1, MG2, and MGS1, and now for these two.

It will be odd going from Vita to PSP for Portable Ops however. I'm still upset that that isn't playable on (NTSC) Vita yet.

Salaadin

ANything official on how the Vita version handles trophies unlocking on the PS3 version? I really want to know if Im going to have to re-unlock those dog tag trophies that I already got on PS3.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
So how do the trophies work, if it's like Motorstorm RC, might get me interested in it

Have never played any games from the MGS series, go figure, I mean I tried 4, but mostly did MGO, never got into 4's story

How hard are the trophies, really ridiculous, or decent to get?

Also this is why I'm asking:

So I have Best Buy's Gamers Unlock Membership

They gave me 4 starter coupon's, one being buy 2 New Games Get 1 New Game Free (up to $39.99)

Thinking of doing Gravity Rush + Unit 13 (due to Massa) and grab Resistance Burning Skies as my freebee
Also same Best Buy store where I bought the Deal of Day for Mod Nation Racer VITA for $11.99 New - $10 Reward coupon, so $2 for a VITA game lol (gonna pick it up Saturday along with the other 3 VITA games)

4 Games as Birthday presents to me (6/21)

Sound Good, or should I switch out a title?

Someone suggested to switch out Resistance and add this, 2 Games Platinums better than 1

If I get trophies for PS3 HD collection to boot via Transfarring, the Trophy Whore in me will go bonkers

Top Bottom