• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Chairhome

Just watched the English version of Kojima Station 02. One of the guys on there said, "yes, we know the knock is missing, but Kojima says it will be replaced by something in TPP". So maybe the whistle that you guys were suggesting earlier in the thread.

Okay so the only trophy I have left is unlocking all trials...

Is the marking every enemy stuff as utterly boring and tedious as it sounds? Is there some trick to getting it done quickly?

If it's as shitty as it looks to be there's no way I'm doing that.

Betty

Banned
Doesn't work for me. Do I have to beat it with Big Boss first?

Yeah, you have to S rank it and answer all questions correctly.

Okay so the only trophy I have left is unlocking all trials...

Is the marking every enemy stuff as utterly boring and tedious as it sounds? Is there some trick to getting it done quickly?

If it's as shitty as it looks to be there's no way I'm doing that.

It's as tedious as it sounds.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Soldiers die too easily in the app. I'm never going to build a good army unless I mindlessly spam low level missions to rank them up to max.

lol, this is getting annoying. Most of my 'heavy armor infantry' guys died and I have to go back and do like 30 rank F missions with each one to rank them up past level 1 so they don't die immediately (in Rank E, lol)

Also for some reason pairing them with Geckos always = death.

Betty

Banned
Then Ground Zeroes is getting put on the shelf. Too bad they couldn't have made more interesting trials, or at least made the marking ones not the ones you have to play to unlock the others.

You only have to do it once though, the trails on Hard are far, far better, and to unlock the rest of the hard trials you simply need to complete each mission on hard twice.

You only have to do it once though, the trails on Hard are far, far better, and to unlock the rest of the hard trials you simply need to complete each mission on hard twice.

I don't think I can even stomach doing it once for every single mission on normal. :/

Bebpo

Banned
I didn't realize until the Deja Vu mission that the way the codec works now is you zoom in with the binoculars on an item, hit L1 and then Miller will comment on it. Kind of cool that there's still a lot of optional codec dialogues in here.

SonnyBoy

lol, this is getting annoying. Most of my 'heavy armor infantry' guys died and I have to go back and do like 30 rank F missions with each one to rank them up past level 1 so they don't die immediately (in Rank E, lol)

Also for some reason pairing them with Geckos always = death.

Yeah. I quit playing it, it's pointless.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I just finished MGS1 for the first time last night and it's aged really well, it's an amazing game. That being said I think 2&3 are better than it in every category (although 1 has better bosses than 2 overall). MGS1 had the silliest dialogue of the three, a few really frustrating bosses, and some obnoxious backtracking (especially the one towards the climax of the game). I like MGS2's way of handling backtracking a lot better.

What!?!

I think pretty much every MGS fan agrees that the dialogue in MGS1 was the best in the entire series especially because Jeremy Blaustein did the English translation which helped prevent any weird translation wonkiness found later on ("Did you say nerd?") and Kojima had yet to reach full blown, screw editing and brevity mode, when writing dialogue.

TheBoss1

For those of you with the Pulse Elite headsets, what sound mode do you use for GZ? I am using "Action" and it makes the game very tense for me lol

cackhyena

What!?!

I think pretty much every MGS fan agrees that the dialogue in MGS1 was the best in the entire series especially because Jeremy Blaustein did the English translation which helped prevent any weird translation wonkiness found later on ("Did you say nerd?") and Kojima had yet to reach full blown, screw editing and brevity mode, when writing dialogue.
Yeah, I love 3, but things like "virtual mission?" And the John Woo inspired, constant slo mo for the dumbest things really makes it drag story wise.

What!?!

I'm sure other localisation people could do an equally good job, but the problem sounds like they're no longer given that flexibility.

Kojima plays the translation department like a damn fiddle.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
The only one I couldn't find just by scouring the area was
the one on Big Boss.
I never would have found that one without looking it up.

I found that one myself. Thought my game was messin up at first then lol'd at the Matrix cutscene for a patch.

I still don't understand the trials. How do I unlock them, exactly ? Do I have to do them by chance (or by looking at a FAQ on the net) ? It's so confusing. :/

What!?!

Haha I love the 'did you say nerd?' part, but yeah it makes no sense but I kind of excuse any weirdness in MGS2 because it really adds to the creepy glitched-out nature of the whole game.

I made a post about this earlier but I honestly thought MGS1 had the weakest dialogue (or at least no better than the other ones). Characters still ask a million questions about things they already know the answers too just so the player can get exposition, soooo much cheese with pretty much every single Meryl-Snake emotional scene (or really any emotional scene), and the the game was just as blunt with it's themes as the other games as well.

MGS2's writing steps it up because of just how intricate and intellectual the ideas it presents are, and MGS3 is far more natural in it's emotional scenes than MGS1 (at least, as natural as MGS has been up to this point).

Hey, can anyone post the record times for the main mission on Hard, stealth, no kills on all platforms other than PS3? My friend has a strategy to top the current PS3 record, but no recording hardware, and he's weighing whether to spend the $30 to do it on PS4 instead. If there's a record significantly faster than 5:35, it's probably not worth it.

strobogo

Banned
The line will live on...
through this arm!

Still I agree that MGS1 has the better dialogue of all MGS games and has the best performance of David Hayter.

All of the MERYL yell/grunts are hilarious. That might be my favorite part of MGS1. I'm a later comer to the series and only played them once the HD collection came out. I played MGS1 on PC after I played the 360 HD collection. 1 and Peace Walker were probably my favorites to play. Starting out with MGS3, it took me until near the end of the game to really figure out how to really play the game. Then MGS2 threw all its weirdness at me. I'd really love to play an updated MGS1. Not Twin Snakes version (which I haven't played), but something that is a straight remake while incorporating the added gameplay elements of later games. Is the version on the PS4 Legacy a straight remake?

atr0cious

Currently renting this from gamestop and I gotta admit, I started smiling the first time I barely escaped being sighted. Probably going to end up keeping this. Does the guard count go up with the difficulty? The map is kind of big but on normal you kind of have to go near soldiers to feel any tension.

Also the Ps3 disc version has the worst load times between the press start screen and the actual menu appearing. I thought my game was broken.

alllen

Neo Member
It has that problem on PS4 as well. Especially on Deja Vu when you go to see what the mission objectives are, or when switching the map view. Just the way the engine works, I guess.

co1onel

Currently renting this from gamestop and I gotta admit, I started smiling the first time I barely escaped being sighted. Probably going to end up keeping this. Does the guard count go up with the difficulty? The map is kind of big but on normal you kind of have to go near soldiers to feel any tension.

No but they have hawkeyes.

RaikuHebi

Banned
That's basically Twin Snakes.
Rumours from E3 2013 suggest Kojima is looking into remaking 1 on FoxEngine.

Use a guide, they are impossible otherwise

The only one I couldn't find just by scouring the area was
the one on Big Boss.
I never would have found that one without looking it up.
I accidentally read your spoiler tag. That is such a Kojima thing to do, I just got it now. Hilariously over-dramatic little cutscene to go with it too haha. No way I would've found that.

Funny thing is the game hints at it with the opening cutscene so we shouldn't even be mad lol.

I'm playing Fez atm and it's full of puzzles like that. Just yesterday one of them required me to
scan a QR code in the game to get the button combination required to unlock a cube
. Kojima-esque I called it.

I'll give the rest a go and if I feel I've scoured the whole area I'll use a guide lol.

SJRB

Gold Member
The worst line and delivery for me is Raiden going "what chu say??" to the fucking president of the United States after he explains a super serious and surreal plot on how the Patriots are running the world behind the scenes.

RaikuHebi

Banned
The worst line and delivery for me is Raiden going "what chu say??" to the fucking president of the United States after he explains a super serious and surreal plot on how the Patriots are running the world behind the scenes.
Nothing wrong with that line.

"SHE PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!" Now that is the worst.

There's already a Play-arts Kai MGS1 Snake.

Is it a new one, or do you mean it will look like the PS1 model?
http://myfigurecollection.net/item/206339
Revoltech, much smaller than Playarts with better articulation(you can even move the eyes).
snakepost39.jpg
Revoltech Rising Raiden and PW Big Boss already released, GZ Big Boss came in the Japanese Premium edition (Playarts GZ Big Boss released in some other edition)
Playarts already made Solid but now Revoltech is making one,
similar aesthetic but its likely to fix the scale and Chun-li thighs that Playarts had.

Minion101

Banned
I feel bad for redboxing this game. It's way better than I thought. I wonder if this was meant to test the fox engine in some way before Phantom Pain.

Oriel

The recruited soldiers in the Mother Base simulator die way to much. Can barely keep my barracks filled, and have resorted to spamming the hell out of the first two F ranked missions to get a few whatever the currency is called.

Salaadin

Any tips for these enemy marking trials? Just to to the end to GZ 37/39 thinking that the last two would be after the cutscene... Well they were except it added to my total and now I'm left with what I thought was a fully marked base except I'm 3 short and I don't know where.

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/206339
Revoltech, much smaller than Playarts with better articulation(you can even move the eyes).

Revoltech Rising Raiden and PW Big Boss already released, GZ Big Boss came in the Japanese Premium edition (Playarts GZ Big Boss released in some other edition)
Playarts already made Solid but now Revoltech is making one,
similar aesthetic but its likely to fix the scale and Chun-li thighs that Playarts had.

Ah, cool. I like the smaller scale of the Revoltech stuff but don't have any of them.

I do have most of the PAK ones but I'm not buying anymore; their quality keeps dropping and their prices keep rising. My Liquid has some serious derpface going on. At least if they did do a PAK PS1 Snake, they couldn't mess up the face. :p

The recruited soldiers in the Mother Base simulator die way to much. Can barely keep my barracks filled, and have resorted to spamming the hell out of the first two F ranked missions to get a few whatever the currency is called.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much what you have to do to progress. Once you can do some of the 15-20 missions, keep repeating a few of those at a time and you'll make 10-20k each deployment.

Any tips for these enemy marking trials? Just to to the end to GZ 37/39 thinking that the last two would be after the cutscene... Well they were except it added to my total and now I'm left with what I thought was a fully marked base except I'm 3 short and I don't know where.

Blow something up.

They'll radio in and go check it out; if no one radios, they're probably KO'd somewhere.

Top Bottom