• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

RaikuHebi

Banned
I still secretly hope the PS360 versions get put on hold and Kojima and his team can fully focus on next gen. Given the huge PS4 sales for GZ that would be an awesome thing to do. Cross-gen is the absolute worst.

But ultimately this is Konami, so this will never happen.

I don't blame them. They'd be missing a lot of money that way.

Ideally though they would see GZ as last gen's taster for the next-gen exclusive.

cackhyena

It's little things like this that remind me it was originally only meant for PS360. Occasionally, the game won't even let me put two guards in the same area. I hold down circle and get nothing. Which is frustrating when trying to hide them. Idk if this is unique to me, because I haven't seen anyone else complain.

Some of the animations being another indicator of its last gen origins. That crawl.
The crawl? I think the majority of his movements are fantastic. The crouch into crawl, and crawl back to crouching is smoother than any other sneaking game I've ever seen. Climbing over things could be improved, though.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I bought Ground Zeroes day one but I'm not touching it until I've played Peace Walker. I hear that GZ is basically the epilogue to PW.

Peace Walker is to MGSV, what MG1/2 were to MGS. The summaries of PW provided in GZ are enough.

Although I'm saying this as someone who only played half of PW because I couldn't get into it. So I would advise him to see how he finds PW, if it's too much of a chore then skip ahead.

Unfortunately it is being held back by last-gen hardware. Things like animation variety and complexity are probably tied down by the limitations of PS360 memory.

Has there been any word on whether TPP will be cross-gen also, or is that only for Ground Zeroes?

By the time it comes out, this gen will have been out for a year and a half. I think they should leave it behind. I think it made sense for GZ but not for TPP.

I do remember Kojima being so impressed by The Division that he felt the need to step up his game for TPP. Hopefully this means ditching old consoles and taking full advantage of the new tech.

SJRB

Gold Member
I bought Ground Zeroes day one but I'm not touching it until I've played Peace Walker. I hear that GZ is basically the epilogue to PW.

That's true. Ground Zeroes is perfectly playable if you haven't played Peace Walker, it has a written synopsis with nice artwork and a hefty amount of audio tapes from Peace Walker to ease you into the story.

However, the grander scheme of things and the context on pretty much everything from story to characters will get lost on you. Ground Zeroes is set moments after Peace Walker. Some things even go as far back as MGS3: Snake Eater.

It's kind of like watching Return of the Jedi without watching Empire Strikes Back. It's watchable, but you will miss out on a lot of backstory.

Anyone know if the HD version of PW is any good? Not really wanting to play this on portable.
Its great, didn't get the chance to play much on PSP. So the HD collection version was very nice.
PW is actually tied with 3 as my 2nd favorites of the Solid series.

Co-op was great, MP was great, did every single Extra-Op.
Even loved the story which doesn't get much love on Gaf.

Buntabox

The crawl? I think the majority of his movements are fantastic. The crouch into crawl, and crawl back to crouching is smoother than any other sneaking game I've ever seen. Climbing over things could be improved, though.

I agree that the change between stances is fantastic. Love holding down X from a running stance and watching him drop. But when actually on the ground, it looks a little robotic. It could be the speed at which he crawls. Makes it look off. I think you crawl faster in GZ than any previous MGS.

Anyone know if the HD version of PW is any good? Not really wanting to play this on portable.

The portable version runs at 20 fps, compared to 60 on the console. And the controls are much better. In general, it is a great transition from the PSP to the PS3/360, and it is a great entry in the series, my 2nd favourite (with MGS3 as my favourite).

Whenever there was radio banter between Boss and Miller, I had no idea who was talking at times. Then 24 Guy is yelling at me because that's the only character Sutherland can do.

Jack Bauer does a great Jack Bauer but Jack Bauer does a terrible Boss because he is not Jack Bauer.

Luckily I never watched 24 so I don't really have any preconceived notions about his voice.

Same thing with the newest Doctor. I've never seen Peter in another role, and now I'm avoiding it, so that he can melt into the part more easily in my head.

Interfectum

Its great, didn't get the chance to play much on PSP. So the HD collection version was very nice.

The portable version runs at 20 fps, compared to 60 on the console. And the controls are much better. In general, it is a great transition from the PSP to the PS3/360, and it is a great entry in the series, my 2nd favourite (with MGS3 as my favourite).

Cool thanks. Bought PW on PS3 and GZ on PS4. Gonna be Snakin' it up this weekend.

abrack08

Cool thanks. Bought PW on PS3 and GZ on PS4. Gonna be Snakin' it up this weekend.

Excellente, enjoy PW, it's a great game, and pretty much required for GZ IMO. You won't know who any of the characters are or have any attachment to them otherwise (besides BB of course... and maybe Miller but you may not even realize it's him). The story assumes you know Chico, Paz, Huey, Kaz, Mother Base/MSF, etc. and have at least a passing interest in what happens to them

Shin-Ra

There's a lot of GoldenEye/PD in this game.

Sneaking around with a silenced pistol popping people in the head
Playing a level so many times you know its layout and features intimately
Extra side objectives
Speed running for cheat/rank unlocks
Lots of restarts
Locational hit reactions and blood stains
Guard towers
Holographic interface
Playable tank..sort of
Waves of enemies when an alarm triggers
Remote explosives
Security cameras
Opening gate for military truck

A couple of times I've blown something up a long way away and the AI starts shooting in that direction which is amusing.

Protag

Banned

Same, i loved every aspect of PW, damn, DAMN fine game, and like another in this thread, my second favorite after Snake Eater.

For me its -

Snake eater
PW
MGS1

There's a lot of GoldenEye/PD in this game.

Sneaking around with a silenced pistol popping people in the head
Playing a level so many times you know its layout and features intimately
Extra side objectives
Speed running for cheat/rank unlocks
Lots of restarts
Locational hit reactions and blood stains
Guard towers
Holographic interface
Playable tank..sort of
Waves of enemies when an alarm triggers
Remote explosives
Security cameras
Opening gate for military truck

A couple of times I've blown something up a long way away and the AI starts shooting in that direction which is amusing

I thought that was a bug.

But then I realized they only do it when they don't know my general position, so the just shoot around in that area all scared like, because they know the S is coming.

The HD remake added matchmaking, hopefully you'll find some people online to help you tackle the tougher boss fights, otherwise some of them can be a grind.

I had no idea. Thank you so much, one of the bosses was giving me trouble. I'm more concerned with story than challenge with this game, so I've no problem getting some help.

JayEH

Finally got 100%. Took me about 14 hours. I was really hoping that something cool would happen at the end of getting it.

Atrophis

Me too!

I made the mistake of not buying HD collection weeks ago to get PW out of the way and then along comes Infamous to delay things further.

Marathoning Portable Ops, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes brings me back to those glorious two weeks that I played MGS 1-4 for the first time back to back when MGS4 got released. So good.

Bebpo

Banned
How do you get the helicopter music to play? I select it in mission and it says helicopter music selected, but when I call the heli to the landing zone I don't hear any music?

I wouldn't play the game without the app now. After using it once, being able to use the map on my phone and call the helicopter with it just makes the iDroid in game redundant. Best use of a companion app ever.

malfcn

Where does MG2SS fall into the time line?
At the end of the game Kasler tells you
that Big Boss has had his hands and feet, eye and ear blown off and he is mostly cyborg.
Also mentioned Snatchers, isn't that related to the Xbox DLC?

I thought the trailer for GZ or TPP showed some of that.
No spoilers please, just time line. I've only played MG and MG2SS now.

And that last long conversation with Big Boss was excellent.

that Big Boss has had his hands and feet, eye and ear blown off and he is mostly cyborg.

TPP will probably retcon MG1 and MG2SS to hell and back, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

-Deimos

MG take place after TPP and MG2 take place right after MG.

It's meant to be 1995 and 1999 for those two. The Phantom Pain will be 1984.
Snatchers is a reference to the game Snatcher, which itself had Metal Gear references.

jett

D-Member
I got all the tapes, but didn't get the trophy, what gives? Am I missing a super secret tape? The last tape I got was for beating all the missions on hard.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I got all the tapes, but didn't get the trophy, what gives? Am I missing a super secret tape? The last tape I got was for beating all the missions on hard.

You are probably missing a trophy, did you get the one called like "Classified Intel Data?" You'll know which one I'm talking about because it is like 15 seconds and nothing but weird sounds and static, it also specifically states "not to play it in a music player."

jett

D-Member
You are probably missing a trophy, did you get the one called like "Classified Intel Data?" You'll know which one I'm talking about because it is like 15 seconds and nothing but weird sounds and static, it also specifically states "not to play it in a music player."

I have all the cassette tapes. Stupid ass game.

Ishida

Banned

My memory may be failing, but didn't Kesler mention that as a rumor or speculation?

MG and MG2SS are going to be retconned by TPP right? Didn't MGS4 already retcon them?

No, it didn't retcon them.

malfcn

My memory may be failing, but didn't Kesler mention that as a rumor or speculation?

I'd have to re-watch it. But it says after the Outer Haven incident, he went to Mozambique after being blown up and rebuilt by another mercenary?
It may have said it was also part of the Snatcher program?

Ishida

Banned
I'd have to re-watch it. But it says after the Outer Haven incident, he went to Mozambique after being blown up and rebuilt by another mercenary?
It may have said it was also part of the Snatcher program?

Just checked, he indeed mentions this as a rumor:

Kasler:
OK, OK... but this is only a rumor, understand? Three years ago,
when Outer Heaven fell, Big Boss was seriously wounded. He almost
died...
He lost both hands, both feet, his right eye, and his right ear.
But somehow... he survived.
Then an Eastern bloc despot took an interest in him. Probably
couldn't resist getting his hands on a soldier of Big Boss's
caliber.
They decided to use Big Boss as a guinea pig for Madnar's Snatcher
project.
I don't know the details, but apparently it involved turning him
into a cyborg. Now he's half man and half machine. Hard to believe,
I know.
But if it's true, Snake, you're way out of you're league. None of
techniques is going to do so much as put a scratch on him.
Snake... give it up... There's no way you can win this time...
Over and out.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Welp, now I have to play MGS and continue the journey. Hopefully the games are a little easier than MG and MG2SS.

MGS1 is the greatest game of all time. And this isn't some rose-tinted glasses view, I play the game at least once every year, it still holds up.

DNAbro

Well had my first playthrough of the game. Ended up with a rank D and killed 15 people, and 6 alerts. 5 deaths.

A small review from someone who is a Metal Gear noob. I liked it, plan to play it more to get better and find secrets. Looking forward to the missions and hard mode. It was short but it also gets me excited for MGSV which I will 100% be picking up.

Even with the price tag, I think it was worth it and will be even more once i play through it more.

MGS1 is the greatest game of all time. And this isn't some rose-tinted glasses view, I play the game at least once every year, it still holds up.

I just finished MGS1 for the first time last night and it's aged really well, it's an amazing game. That being said I think 2&3 are better than it in every category (although 1 has better bosses than 2 overall). MGS1 had the silliest dialogue of the three, a few really frustrating bosses, and some obnoxious backtracking (especially the one towards the climax of the game). I like MGS2's way of handling backtracking a lot better.

Trike

Is Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 available from the get go in Legacy collection? Or is it only unlockable through MGS3?

Top Bottom