• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

jett

D-Member
S'd all the missions. I guess there's not much else to do with the game now.

My final and complete impressions is that this is really for MGS superfans only. Makes me really excited for MGSV at least, gameplay-wise anyway, now that I got a complete grip on it. Deja Vu side op was just the best, most I've enjoyed a MGS game since MGS3 maybe.

cackhyena

It's also for pure stealth fans, I'd say. I'm an MGS fan, but that really isn't why I was coming to this game. It was more because the videos were showing me something I've wanted from stealth games for a while. It delivered.

NYR94

You're able to take out security cameras with a magazine in reflex mode:

Kojima-Station-2-Magazine-Throw-2.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
More cool stuff like ^ pls. Stuff people wouldn't normally do?

I was hoping tranqing the driver of a moving vehicle would do something cool but nope :(

Spaghetti

tried the magazine trick for neutralising enemies. harder than it looks!

still having quite a bit of fun playing the main mission for kicks. no weapon runs are pretty exciting. it'd be nice to have a different way of taking out light sources though, but then again... i haven't tried out magazines on lights yet.

Unlocked The Pain and The Fury for MB.

The Pain - Distance enemy thrown/flown/flung/whatever > 20m
The Fury - Longest 2 wheel drive time > ???

I'm not sure of the exact 2 wheel time because when I got the truck up and balancing, I went for about 5min until I bumped something.

It's easy with the truck, though; just clear the base of guards (Deja Vu only has 16), get the truck and take it to the heliport. There's a number of large, white-ish metal things, about 1ft tall on the pads; I (fairly slowly) drove the left wheels over and popped up onto the right wheels, then turned completely to the left and kept going in a circle the whole time.

Nuke Soda

Had to look up the XOF badges, ironically most of them were in places I go to. The Deja Vu stuff seems pretty great, but apparently I need a grenade for the tank one.

jett

D-Member
I downloaded a fancy 1080p@60fps video from Gamersyde to see what the PS4 version would look like on my TV... That's the first video file I play on my PS3 that brings it to its knees. :lol Sheesh.

im at like 91%, contemplating if i want to go back and S rank the remaining ones I need on hard. I already have all the trophies. The trials one seems daunting at first, but it is really easy. Just go into full alert and make sure u mark people before you blow them away. Just go first person and aim at them and it should automatically mark before u kill them. It was just annoying having to do all missions on hard twice.

SHL23

Banned
best hour of gaming ive had in a longggg time. if its any indication of what phantom pain is gonna be like, itll be a master piece.

and ppl complaining at the length, remember when everyone paid $50 for the mgs2 demo? no one gave a fuck about zone of the enders. not saying the series is bad,the second runner is cool, but the first is average and wouldnt have sold jack shit if it werent for the mgs2 demo

Trike

Is this for TPP Motherbase? This looks like it will be just like Peace Walker (which is awesome).

Wait this looks like Trial stuff. Boo.

That is the for the Ground Zeroes app for android/ios. It has a Mother Base VR simulator based off of the Peace Walker version. When Phantom Pain comes out it will probably reflect that version of Mother Base.

I haven't seen anyone throw this theory out there about why Ground Zeroes exists as a separate $30 product instead of being a cheap $5-$15 thing like Case Zero or just being part of The Phantom Pain... but I've thought about it a little bit...

I remember Kojima said early on when they announced Fox Engine that they wanted to get into a rhythm where they were able to make a Metal Gear game every 2 years-- he was looking at the way western developers were churning out sequels every other year and wanted to get to that point.

Peace Walker was actually the first foray into turning around a Metal Gear Solid game very quickly-- it wasn't Fox Engine but they were able to put that game out less than 2 years after MGS4.

The next game was supposed to be Metal Gear Solid: Rising, which was potentially targeted for 2012 and was supposed to be the first Fox Engine game. However, we all know that went bad and they had to turn to Platinum games which turned around a game in 1 year. It was an incredible feat but I'm sure Konami took a big loss because not only did they have to scrap a few years of work on Rising, but it probably was also a setback to the development of Fox Engine.

I don't know if Ground Zeroes was originally planned as a separate title or not-- but after the cancellation of the original Rising, I imagine that played a bit role in them deciding to make Ground Zeroes a $30-40 product to try to recoup the losses from Rising and the development of the Fox Engine, and also to try to build some hype for MGS5. Platinum's Rising was not really a traditional Metal Gear game so I think some of us definitely needed a reminder as to why we loved MGS in the first place.

---

I do think they were super successful in building up hype for MGS5 just because this is the best playing Metal Gear Solid game IMO, yet the real thing to love about MGS games is the cutscenes and we barely got a sniff of that in this game. The Phantom Pain has a super intriguing setup and I cannot wait to see how it plays out.

Also, after playing Ground Zeroes, I think it'd be awesome if the next Rising game was built in the Fox Engine. I'd like to see if they could try to mix in the action in Rising with the Stealth in Ground Zeroes.

-Deimos

Also, after playing Ground Zeroes, I think it'd be awesome if the next Rising game was built in the Fox Engine. I'd like to see if they could try to mix in the action in Rising with the Stealth in Ground Zeroes.

That original trailer for Rising was amazing. I was so disappointed when they announced Platinum was taking over and turning it into a hack-and-slash game. Not that Revengeance is a bad game, I was just really hyped for the original concept.

atr0cious

Well, I haven't even saved Chico yet, and I feel like I got my money's worth, and I didn't think I'd feel that way. I've not hit the end of the mission, but it's surprisingly big, a lot bigger than anyone gives it credit for. I got this used so as not to help spread my acceptance of the practice, but as a die hard Metal Gear fan, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

I don't like the streamlining of the controls, but I appreciate the attempt to at least keep some of the complexity of the mechanics. Snake moves how you want him to, although managing corners is really frustrating, and I constantly find myself fighting for a better view, especially if my cover is small.

Trike

I haven't seen anyone throw this theory out there about why Ground Zeroes exists as a separate $30 product instead of being a cheap $5-$15 thing like Case Zero or just being part of The Phantom Pain... but I've thought about it a little bit...

I remember Kojima said early on when they announced Fox Engine that they wanted to get into a rhythm where they were able to make a Metal Gear game every 2 years-- he was looking at the way western developers were churning out sequels every other year and wanted to get to that point.

Peace Walker was actually the first foray into turning around a Metal Gear Solid game very quickly-- it wasn't Fox Engine but they were able to put that game out less than 2 years after MGS4.

The next game was supposed to be Metal Gear Solid: Rising, which was potentially targeted for 2012 and was supposed to be the first Fox Engine game. However, we all know that went bad and they had to turn to Platinum games which turned around a game in 1 year. It was an incredible feat but I'm sure Konami took a big loss because not only did they have to scrap a few years of work on Rising, but it probably was also a setback to the development of Fox Engine.

I don't know if Ground Zeroes was originally planned as a separate title or not-- but after the cancellation of the original Rising, I imagine that played a bit role in them deciding to make Ground Zeroes a $30-40 product to try to recoup the losses from Rising and the development of the Fox Engine, and also to try to build some hype for MGS5. Platinum's Rising was not really a traditional Metal Gear game so I think some of us definitely needed a reminder as to why we loved MGS in the first place.

---

I do think they were super successful in building up hype for MGS5 just because this is the best playing Metal Gear Solid game IMO, yet the real thing to love about MGS games is the cutscenes and we barely got a sniff of that in this game. The Phantom Pain has a super intriguing setup and I cannot wait to see how it plays out.

no. Kojima has straight up said that the game was meant to be part of Phantom Pain but they released it earlier because of the long development time of MGS5. That is what the whole controversy is about.

co1onel

You're able to take out security cameras with a magazine in reflex mode:

Kojima-Station-2-Magazine-Throw-2.jpg

This made me put reflex mode back on to try it, and wow I hadn't realized how much easier the game is with it on. Its like night and day. You can just run around the map and if you get spotted it's not really a big deal because you just pop them in the head. I think I much prefer the game with it off.

pupcoffee

This made me put reflex mode back on to try it, and wow I hadn't realized how much easier the game is with it on. Its like night and day. You can just run around the map and if you get spotted it's not really a big deal because you just pop them in the head. I think I much prefer the game with it off.

I ran into a supply warehouse and a guard on a nearby tower saw me through the tiny window in the warehouse door. Sniped him through it, lol

I like "limiting" myself to 2 reflex uses per mission, though. Sometimes there's just a great opportunity for it.

SJRB

Gold Member

Yeah it's incredibly easy to abuse the hell out of the mechanic once you realise you can just run around like a lunatic and reflex enemies in the head left and right.

That said I think it's a super convenient mechanic even when you're playing proper stealth and somehow an enemy gets the drop on you, it's not nearly as annoying as I'd imagined it to be.

Salaadin

So do I have this right...

I need two trophies - obtain all cassettes and unlock all trials. I just finished marking all enemies in every mission on normal. Now all I need to do is complete every mission twice on hard... That will unlock the last tape and trials?

Betty

Banned
So do I have this right...

I need two trophies - obtain all cassettes and unlock all trials. I just finished marking all enemies in every mission on normal. Now all I need to do is complete every mission twice on hard... That will unlock the last tape and trials?

As long as you have all the other tapes, yes.

NYR94

I got the trophy for collecting all of the cassette tapes but when I look at my completion stats, it says 17/18 tapes. Do you get one for S-ranking all the missions on hard because that's one thing I haven't done yet. Most of the guides listing cassette tapes only list about 12 but the game is saying there are 18.

JayEH

Metagearsolid.org is doing a series of articles on Ground Zeroes. The first examines the marketing and confusion of Ground Zeroes:

http://metagearsolid.org/2014/03/metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes/

That was a good piece. I really hope GZ doesn't do massive damage to the series as a whole.

Honestly, I didn't even think about how the rest of the market would react . All of us here are arguing about the price/value proposition but I forgot to think about how some random dude walking into a gamestop buying this game would react.

squadr0n

This might be old news already but I haven't been able to find anyone talking about it. MetalGearInformer.com did an interview with Hideo Kojima a few days ago where he said the cut scene when you rescue Chico has variations. Has anyone seen a different version of this cut scene after rescuing some of the pows or all of them before Chico. I haven't had a chance to test my theory yet but I believe that after rescuing
all the pows before Chico I think snake doesn't choke him out and Chico already trusts him.

Betty

Banned
This might be old news already but I haven't been able to find anyone talking about it. MetalGearInformer.com did an interview with Hideo Kojima a few days ago where he said the cut scene when you rescue Chico has variations. Has anyone seen a different version of this cut scene after rescuing some of the pows or all of them before Chico. I haven't had a chance to test my theory yet but I believe that after rescuing
all the pows before Chico I think snake doesn't choke him out and Chico already trusts him.

Not quite,
if you rescue all the prisoners before saving Chico, they won't be in the cages during the cutscene.

I've seen two different ones. If you rescue all the POWs, the same cutscene plays but without the camera panning to the POWs. If you rescue Paz first, the cutscene will play without Snake radioing Kaz or checking Chico's legs. Either way Chico still freaks out no matter what you do, I think

squadr0n

Metagearsolid.org is doing a series of articles on Ground Zeroes. The first examines the marketing and confusion of Ground Zeroes:

http://metagearsolid.org/2014/03/metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes/

This has been discussed and misunderstood soo many times, its starting to get old. Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain might still be a year away, who really knows accept the dev team atm and Peace Walker came out in June, 2010 (4 years ago and maybe 5-6 years from the release date TPP). Point IS: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes was released to please fans and give them a chance to play the new fox engine and see what TPP's open world game play is like. Kojima says its so players wont be clueless when TPP comes out basically but metal gear's game play has always been about multiple routes and ways to do things. The price is unfortunate but Konami saw their chance, atleast the lowered retail in the end.

Ground Zeroes was a small portion of a larger game and something rarely seen from developers before and I loved it.

RaikuHebi

Banned
This has been discussed and misunderstood soo many times, its starting to get old. Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain might still be a year away, who really knows accept the dev team atm and Peace Walker came out in June, 2010 (4 years ago and maybe 5-6 years from the release date TPP). Point IS: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes was released to please fans and give them a chance to play the new fox engine and see what TPP's open world game play is like. Kojima says its so players wont be clueless when TPP comes out basically but metal gear's game play has always been about multiple routes and ways to do things. The price is unfortunate but Konami saw their chance, atleast the lowered retail in the end.

Ground Zeroes was a small portion of a larger game and something rarely seen from developers before and I loved it.

TPP will be out this time next year. They accidently revealed it on their website re: the free DLC for those that played GZ.

JB1981

I know this is a stealth game first and foremost but I really wish they would improve on the physical act of shooting in these games. Shooting your gun doesn't feel satisfying at al and the enemy hit reactions feel like you're shooting through paper

Salaadin

I occasionally get some weirdness when going around corners... Specifically on the steel tower stairs. I get caught up on the corner. Hope they can tweak that.

Also, I love rolling but it feels so awkward in its current control scheme. Sprinting works on r3 but there's something weird about having to hold r3 while pressing left and right to roll.

Regarding the guns, I like it. I wish the guns had more pop to them but I love the enemy reactions when they get hit

I know this is a stealth game first and foremost but I really wish they would improve on the physical act of shooting in these games. Shooting your gun doesn't feel satisfying at al and the enemy hit reactions feel like you're shooting through paper

Exactly the opposite for me.

Top Bottom