• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

ezekial45

Banned
Did anyone else have an issue with the voiceovers on PS4? For the whole intro for the GZ mission I couldn't hear any of the dialog. The background noise and music was fine, and even the guard chatter during gameplay was ok, but none of the radio chatter or lines from Snake were audible.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know what is up with this. I just put the game in about a half hour ago.

Anyone? This is driving me nuts. I read online about how this happened to others, but i haven't found any solutions.

Trike

I was gunna ask you/y'all about this today.

I haven't really heard about anyone getting super into the app, but I like it a lot. I've beaten 40/50 missions I can see and my player level is 55.

So many ??? officers still

I really wish there were more available statistics for the personnel and vehicles (you have to make or recruit each asset before you can see the stats)

Which for metal gears is really inconvenient, at this point I'm just assuming custom Zeke is the best cause its listed last.

Has anyone 100% it? Some non gaffers even?

I've beaten all the missions, have all buildings levels maxed and I am level 72. The last officer I unlocked was Cecile, which was due to being a certain level. I don't think I've unlocked anyone or anything since then from just using the app.

Only here you have the wrong Snake waxing nostalgic for another Snake..? That's just retarded even if you considered MGS's goofy standards.

TVtropes explained it in a way that I agree with:

"Deja Vu" means something looks familiar even though you've never seen it before, and it's the name of the extra mission where everything looks like Metal Gear Solid 1 and you have to recreate still shots of it with your camera. There's no way Big Boss has ever been to Shadow Moses Island, so there's no way the stuff should look familiar to him, but it's familiar to us, the players.

It's all fanservice for the players that loved the first 3D game in the series, and not necessarily for the Snake that we're playing.

I think we should have had the PS1 Snake model be the default mode for this mission, and beating the mission in its entirety would unlock him as playable for all the other missions. Oh well.

One of my favorite gags like that was in MGS4 where you tilt the camera to be overhead, and Old Snake just waxes nostalgic for about 45 seconds straight about Overhead View, then you get a Drebin Point bonus.

I was hoping for something goofy like that here, but no dice.

I loved that part in MGS4, that whole Act was just fantastic. But that's David/Solid, where as this is Jack/Bigboss. And that's what bothers me about the whole, ah now this brings back memories.

nillapuddin

I've been googling all over trying to find list of every unlockable but no luck so far.

Some of the Officers have skills like Anti-officer, Anti-tank, and Anti-Metal Gear; letting them do more damage to those types. Metal Gears seem to level up faster with Huey or Strangelove as Leader. I have REX, RAY, Peace Walker and custom Zeke built; RAY is the only one with a skill: Anti-Metal Gear. Zeke has the highest Health / Defense; RAY has the highest Attack.

I read that someone unlocked The Pain by setting high records in either the Distance Enemy Thrown, or the Longest 2-wheel Drive trials. Grrr, I wish KJP would just tell us what the requirements are.

interesting, Ill drop some stats, see if we have anything the other doesnt

WTsS94g.png

Snake, Miller, Amanda, Huey, Strangelove, ?, ?, Raiden, ?, ?, Naked Snake, Ocelot, ?, Volgin, The Boss, The Sorrow, ?, ?, ?, ?, Major Zero, Para Medic, ?, ?, ?

Pupa, Chrysalis, Cocoon, PW, Zeke, ?, ?, Shagohod, ?, ?, ?, ?, Zeke Custom

cackhyena

I kinda wish they did up all the Snake models but with the present graphics. BB, Solid from 1 and 2 and red camo BB from 3. Does it makes sense? No. Do I give a fuck? Fuck no. I wants what I wants.

nillapuddin

I've beaten all the missions, have all buildings levels maxed and I am level 72. The last officer I unlocked was Cecile, which was due to being a certain level. I don't think I've unlocked anyone or anything since then from just using the app.

sweet, so youre completely finished, what was your best combo of units?

at this point it seems that heavy soldiers, heavy custom tank, custom zeke is the best I can muster

Am I wrong in that assumption? or did you actually vary your strategy based on each mission

I just replay mission 15 til all my guys are level 5, then brute force my way further into the game til they all die off, then start over

Anyone prefer the old method of snake pressing against the wall while the camera swings around to show you behind, like in the older MGS over the new method of him just crouching?

jsnepo

Anyone prefer the old method of snake pressing against the wall while the camera swings around to show you behind, like in the older MGS over the new method of him just crouching?

I like the new one. The old method does not really work well in 3D camera modes. Pressing against walls/trees in MGS3 in 3D camera is hard to do.

co1onel

I do. The way it works in Ground Zeroes it feels too finicky and often I can't get the camera to look around the corner like I want it to.

You can't retain that system in a true open-world setting. Previous games had intricate level design to complement that auto-camera switch (so you won't be cheated into an alert phase because the camera forced your perspective)

In this case, there are times where you will be completely out in the open, with enemies patrolling in 360 degrees from your position. So you must always retain full control of the camera to checkout every angle.

Lucent

So I just completed the main mission and a couple of the side ops. I just gotta say, I'm kind of underwhelmed by the Fox Engine so far. I really hope they step it up a lot in Phantom Pain. I mean, Metal Gear tends to always bring out some of the best in the consoles and somehow this just isn't that impressive even compared to MGS4. After coming from Infamous, I just don't know how this game, with a smaller map size in the mission, doesn't look as good and there's even more pop-in and stuff than Infamous. I'm by no means a graphics whore or whatever, but man. It looks awesome in the dark and the rain, but the day time makes its flaws obvious.

Here's hoping that they blow me away in a year or two whenever it comes out.

Trike

sweet, so youre completely finished, what was your best combo of units?

at this point it seems that heavy soldiers, heavy custom tank, custom zeke is the best I can muster

Am I wrong in that assumption? or did you actually vary your strategy based on each mission

I just replay mission 15 til all my guys are level 5, then brute force my way further into the game til they all die off, then start over

All heavy soldiers, I am pretty sure they are the best infantry in the game. Snipers are anti-officer, but I found them to be pretty much useless. I haven't unlocked Ocelot's commandos or whatever yet though. I use custom heavy tanks, because the helicopters seem to be pretty useless too. Even the custom heavy helicopters. I don't have custom Zeke, but I beat the last mission with a level 5 Peace Walker. Even regular Zeke is better at level 5, but I didn't have it at the time. I am pretty sure that he reason why I got so far so easily is because for some reason Amanda is the most durable officer available somehow. I was easily able to grind money because I never had her die on mission 20 when everyone else did, and that paid out 10k. Made grinding so much easier.

Hasney

I'd still be pissed off that the PS4 couldn't use custom themes for the helicopter if it didn't Ride of the Valkyries anyway. I can just start chanting YES when the chopper comes in.

SMZC

So I just completed the main mission and a couple of the side ops. I just gotta say, I'm kind of underwhelmed by the Fox Engine so far. I really hope they step it up a lot in Phantom Pain. I mean, Metal Gear tends to always bring out some of the best in the consoles and somehow this just isn't that impressive even compared to MGS4. After coming from Infamous, I just don't know how this game, with a smaller map size in the mission, doesn't look as good and there's even more pop-in and stuff than Infamous. I'm by no means a graphics whore or whatever, but man. It looks awesome in the dark and the rain, but the day time makes its flaws obvious.

Here's hoping that they blow me away in a year or two whenever it comes out.

MGS4 has nothing on this game. GZ runs at over twice the resolution, twice the framerate, and it's an open world game. It's a gigantic difference solely because of that, even if not taking into account the graphical difference.

I do agree that GZ looks better during the night, though, and that it can look a bit rough during the day.

Bebpo

Banned
No idea how people are complaining about the graphics in this game, at least on the PS4 version. The pop-up is the only noticeable issue and it's pretty minor unless you're looking for it. Otherwise the game is probably the best looking game on the PS4. Infamous looks really nice, but MGS has better IQ and better framerate so it's a toss-up.

Anyhow, the Deja Vu missions was really fun. Was cool sneaking around at night without the rain effect and all the easter eggs were great. You know, Kojima should totally do a cheap MGS1 remake on this engine after PP. Just remake MGS1 out of all the existing assets made for PP + character models. The settings for MGS1 are just generic buildings and some snow, they could probably do it for pretty cheap and it'd be so much fun replaying MGS1 GZ style.

Does anyone know the order to get the bald guy to appear to get his classified intel tape in the classified intel side op? Do you have to first get the fake tape, then go signal the informant, then grab him and interrogate him, then go to the boiler room to get the bald guy? Or can you skip some of those steps? It's the last tape I need besides the "S-rank all missions (lol, not even trying)" and want to figure out the fastest way to get it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does anyone know the order to get the bald guy to appear to get his classified intel tape in the classified intel side op? Do you have to first get the fake tape, then go signal the informant, then grab him and interrogate him, then go to the boiler room to get the bald guy? Or can you skip some of those steps? It's the last tape I need besides the "S-rank all missions (lol, not even trying)" and want to figure out the fastest way to get it.

I actually got it completely accidentally. My order was:

Hop out the truck at the start
Knock out the guy in tower + the two that come along the road
Signal with the light
Take out the partner + hold the informant

After that, I went to the hole in the fence near the helipad / near those electrical boxes one of the XOF patches was on. I was actually just scoping out the tower and guys around it since I had no idea there was a fake tape. A couple of guys came around the hole in the fence, I knocked them out, bald guy eventually came up behind me, made him 'spit it out'

*drops tape* "what"

Lucent

Yeah I can't agree on the IQ looking better on here than Infamous. I just seriously hope that they were a bit rushed on getting this out. It's a cross-gen game, so I can kind of understand why it wouldn't look as good. But I mean, I wasn't really looking for the pop-in. It's just there. I noticed a tree's leaves would materialize and dematerialize as I went towards it and away and I was right by it. I just don't get why that is.

Anyway, there hasn't been a Metal Gear that has disappointed me yet. I always find the story pretty entertaining and sometimes the long codec calls are interesting to chill with. I don't expect this to be any different. I'm sure they're working full force on Phantom Pain and are going to get what they can out of the new consoles.

So I was planning on playing ground zero when mgsV comes out, but I really want to play ground zero. Does the ending leave you wanting more?
Yes it does. And, if you've seen last year's Red Band trailer for the Phantom Pain and that first Ground Zeroes 9-minute trailer, you've seen almost everything regarding cut-scenes in Ground Zeroes. Basically, you just don't know the very end of Ground Zeroes.

Buuut, gameplay is excellent, and if you master it here, you will be Big Boss in Phantom Pain :D

Yes it does. And, if you've seen last year's Red Band trailer for the Phantom Pain and that first Ground Zeroes 9-minute trailer, you've seen almost everything regarding cut-scenes in Ground Zeroes. Basically, you just don't know the very end of Ground Zeroes.

Buuut, gameplay is excellent, and if you master it here, you will be Big Boss in Phantom Pain :D
thanks! I was debating to get this on ps3 or not, but I think I will wait till mgsV is out and owning a ps4 as well. I already have a massive backlog in addition to college.

Buntabox

so even with that vehicle they arent meant to be loaded in the back?

I had to back the truck up to the hill with the sandbag and toss them on top. They float, but actually stay; so long as you don't drive under the bridge. I drove everyone to the helipad and did a mass pick up at the end of the mission (because I murdered the entire island beforehand).

It's unfortunate you can't toss Chico or Paz. I understand why though. It would be
a little inappropriate with the horrible circumstances of their imprisonment.

interesting, Ill drop some stats, see if we have anything the other doesnt

WTsS94g.png

Snake, Miller, Amanda, Huey, Strangelove, ?, ?, Raiden, ?, ?, Naked Snake, Ocelot, ?, Volgin, The Boss, The Sorrow, ?, ?, ?, ?, Major Zero, Para Medic, ?, ?, ?

Pupa, Chrysalis, Cocoon, PW, Zeke, ?, ?, Shagohod, ?, ?, ?, ?, Zeke Custom

I have a few more than you and one less:

6. Cecile.
7. Solid Snake.
8. ? (Raiden)
9. ?
10. ?
13. ? (guessing Eva)
17. ? (Cobra Unit)
18. ? (Cobra Unit)
19. ? (Cobra Unit)
20. ? (Cobra Unit)
23. ? (guessing Sigint)
24. Sokolov.
25. Granin.

Your missing Metal Gears are REX, RAY, and I'm guessing the custom PW variants.

Anyone have pics of the officers and such, can't get the app.

They're mostly those renders that were done around the Legacy Collection announcement / release -- barring the MGS3 cast, with the exception of Snake, Boss, Ocelot, and Volgin.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Yeah it's pretty amazing how real-time it is, if you move Snake it immediately shows on the app's map screen.

Cool stuff.

Haha yeah, I was pretty impressed when you turn on the directional view how synced it is.

cackhyena

I had to back the truck up to the hill with the sandbag and toss them on top. They float, but actually stay; so long as you don't drive under the bridge. I drove everyone to the helipad and did a mass pick up at the end of the mission (because I murdered the entire island beforehand).

It's unfortunate you can't toss Chico or Paz. I understand why though. It would be
a little inappropriate with the horrible circumstances of their imprisonment.
This lack of options gets me thinking about some other omissions. Notably for me, the lack of enemies knocked out or dead being able to lay any other way but flat out. It would be nice to be able to lay them sitting up to kind of scrunch them in an area more tightly. Some funny stuff could come of that manipulation as well, like draping them over a fence for a enemy driving by to see as a distraction. Or on the hood of a vehicle. Hopefully they add that in TPP.

Salaadin

Soldiers die too easily in the app. I'm never going to build a good army unless I mindlessly spam low level missions to rank them up to max.

MGS4 has nothing on this game. GZ runs at over twice the resolution, twice the framerate, and it's an open world game. It's a gigantic difference solely because of that, even if not taking into account the graphical difference.

I do agree that GZ looks better during the night, though, and that it can look a bit rough during the day.

so you're comparing MGS4 on PS3 to ground zeros on the PS4, makes sense....

Buntabox

This lack of options gets me thinking about some other omissions. Notably for me, the lack of enemies knocked out or dead being able to lay any other way but flat out. It would be nice to be able to lay them sitting up to kind of scrunch them in an area more tightly. Some funny stuff could come of that manipulation as well, like draping them over a fence for a enemy driving by to see as a distraction. Or on the hood of a vehicle. Hopefully they add that in TPP.

It's little things like this that remind me it was originally only meant for PS360. Occasionally, the game won't even let me put two guards in the same area. I hold down circle and get nothing. Which is frustrating when trying to hide them. Idk if this is unique to me, because I haven't seen anyone else complain.

Some of the animations being another indicator of its last gen origins. That crawl.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It's little things like this that remind me it was originally only meant for PS360. Occasionally, the game won't even let me put two guards in the same area. I hold down circle and get nothing. Which is frustrating when trying to hide them. Idk if this is unique to me, because I haven't seen anyone else complain.

Some of the animations being another indicator of its last gen origins. That crawl.

I'm sure they're looking to improve as much as possible based on feedback. Kojima is one of the directors we can trust on this matter.

I'm sure they're looking to improve as much as possible based on feedback. Kojima is one of the directors we can trust on this matter.

By the same token I don't want them to try to go back to the drawing board too much. The core gameplay in GZ is good enough that I want things full speed ahead of TPP. I feel like the game is taking too long to come out as-is.

jett

D-Member

Unfortunately it is being held back by last-gen hardware. Things like animation variety and complexity are probably tied down by the limitations of PS360 memory.

SJRB

Gold Member
Unfortunately it is being held back by last-gen hardware. Things like animation variety and complexity are probably tied down by the limitations of PS360 memory.

I still secretly hope the PS360 versions get put on hold and Kojima and his team can fully focus on next gen. Given the huge PS4 sales for GZ that would be an awesome thing to do. Cross-gen is the absolute worst.

But ultimately this is Konami, so this will never happen.

Top Bottom