• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Hasney

How "open world" is it really, though? If TPP was split up as a bunch of separate areas that were GZ camp in size, or bigger, is that different than the areas in MGS4, for example?

"Open areas" is probably more accurate. Trying to dig it up now, but Kojima said that apparently a lot of areas are much bigger than the GZ map. I think when it was cited as open world, it was because you could do a lot more like drive or do some side-missions before continuing with the story. I'm assuming side-missions are given in-game rather than picked from the menu in TPP.

SMZC

I don't get tired of the many tactics you can employ in this game. Something that I love to do with the sniper is firing one shot and only one; this brings the guards into caution mode, but since I don't fire repeatedly, they don't get a fix on my position. Then, when they send a unit to investigate, I move on to a different position, and I keep playing the same tactic, hunting down all of the guards without them ever knowing what hit them. Mixing it up with C4 charges planted all over the map in order to create even more chaos and confusion is simply delicious (it helps especially when you need to divert the unit investigating the gunshot, since they will always give priority to an explosion).

This made me put reflex mode back on to try it, and wow I hadn't realized how much easier the game is with it on. Its like night and day. You can just run around the map and if you get spotted it's not really a big deal because you just pop them in the head. I think I much prefer the game with it off.

Indeed. I find reflex mode to be a lot of fun (blasting fools with the shotgun at slow motion is amazing), I just love messing around with it, just for fun, but it definitely turns even hard mode into a cake walk, so I think I will do in The Phantom Pain the same thing that I'm doing in Ground Zeroes: deactivating it during normal gameplay, and activating it whenever I just want to mess around.

Nibel

How "open world" is it really, though? If TPP was split up as a bunch of separate areas that were GZ camp in size, or bigger, is that different than the areas in MGS4, for example?

In MGS4 you had a bunch of separate areas alá Monster Hunter; whatever you did in one are didn't necessary affect the other area.

In GZ it's one huge camp where everything feels more connected - if you put a enemy to sleep and didn't hide him well in one area of the map, it might bite your ass later and trigger a search for you. Also, you have guards roaming around and sometimes vehicles come from out of nowhere to find you.

While I agree that some of these elements can be found in MGS4 to some degree, it all feels different because it's one big area in GZ and there was more random GTA-esque stuff happening to me in GZ than in the entirety of MGS4.

I can just speculate about TPP, but here's what I expect: from the trailer, I think it's safe to assume that you will get send to different parts of the world just like in MGS4, but you will always have one big map like in GZ. The red band trailer of TPP shows Afghanistan and the are is muuuuch bigger than GZ, and that's where your mission takes place. I just wonder if they'll use one big area per mission or many missions in one big area.

Oh, is this supposed to be humanistic behaviour per guard? I thought it was based on movement and distance, like if you were kind of close and moved a lot or if you disturbed them repeatedly they'd commit to checking it out. If it was a slight movement from far away and you didn't alert them again they wouldn't care.

Yeah, I meant the humanistic behaviour. The view range of guards can be seen as a con of the A.I., but other than that I was satisfied with what we get and I must admit I've just played on 'normal'; I assume the other difficulties in TPP will make guards much tougher and smarter

I can just speculate about TPP, but here's what I expect: from the trailer, I think it's safe to assume that you will get send to different parts of the world just like in MGS4, but you will always have one big map like in GZ. The red band trailer of TPP shows Afghanistan and the are is muuuuch bigger than GZ, and that's where your mission takes place. I just wonder if they'll use one big area per mission or many missions in one big area.

I think it's safe to say that some areas will be reused for multiple story missions, and most or all areas will have extra ops/side ops bonus missions which unlock through the game, same deal as Peace Walker in that regard.
If Quiet's stage is Afghanistan, then it's likely you'll be going back there some time after rescuing Miller.

Gui_PT

image.php

THRILLHO

I was going to, but then I realised:
a) The game is built around in, in that guards are far more aware than ever before and can spot you from 60m away, and reflex doesn't always save your ass, and
b) It's actually crazy fun

I'll do some 'no-reflex' runs later.

I've never used it and the game still plays fine. Give it a go.

jett

D-Member
I thought Reflex mode was a "must-use" until I disabled it to S rank the game. The game is perfectly playable without it, and it really is super overpowered. It's a fun mechanic though. When I play the eventual TPP I'll leave it on for funsies, but attempt to play stealthily anyway. Remember that going prone increases the invisible camo index exponentially.

cackhyena

Yeah, I just S ranked the Intel side op on Hard with Reflex off for fun and it was nice. Knowing you have no room to screw up makes you that much more aware of your surroundings. I enjoy using it, though. For the neutralizing of all enemies per stage trial, it's fun as hell to run around like a mad man abusing it.

Spaghetti

zeke, because it's a kinda proto-rex

peace walker is pretty creepy though, especially when it gets on its hind legs and starts walking like a monster while spraying fucking FIRE and explosives everywhere

... actually, i think i'm going to change my vote to peace walker.

SJRB

Gold Member
The reason I'm asking is because I want to get either Zeke or Peace Walker action figure as kind of an "homage" to the MGS series. I don't own any action figures and my apartment is super minimalistic so I figured a mech would fit in pretty nicely. They're affordable, small and not so much "in your face" as a Snake action figure or something.

I like how you can somewhat see Rex in Zeke's design, but Peace Walker is far more "complete" as an action figure. It's also 25 euros more expensive, heh.

I was originally looking for fake Rex building schematics/blueprints or something to frame, but apparantly those don't exist haha. Get on that, Shinkawa.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think it's normal practice to reuse voice actors for "extras". Nolan North plays soldiers and whatnot in the Uncharted games for example.

Fucking Nolan North. It's so bizarre in Arkham City when you're in the GCPD low-temperature room. Penguin is on the intercom, voiced by Nolan North and there are 5 thugs in the room, two of them also voiced by Nolan North.

If you take down the other three first, you'll basically have Nolan North talking to himself haha.

Oriel

It really annoys me how there's very little consistency in character looks across MGS titles. Paz from PW:

Paz_portrait.jpg

looks nothing like Paz from GZ.

lWnKOd1.png

Clearly an imposter. Quiet is Paz.

Oriel

Fucking Nolan North. It's so bizarre in Arkham City when you're in the GCPD low-temperature room. Penguin is on the intercom, voiced by Nolan North and there are 5 thugs in the room, two of them also voiced by Nolan North.

If you take down the other three first, you'll basically have Nolan North talking to himself haha.

The world only has a finite amount of Nolan North. We're rapidly approaching peak Nolan, and then we'll be fucked.

It really annoys me how there's very little consistency in character looks across MGS titles. Paz from PW:

Paz_portrait.jpg

lWnKOd1.png

Not sure if joke or not but this is such a bad comparison; from when she is looking her best to when she is looking her worst.

I took the bait

Betty

Banned
Very mixed for a Metal Gear title.

Mainly because some outlets deducted points for what they perceived to be a poor content/price ratio, which is fair enough. But just about all reviews were extremely positive about the actual game itself and all reviews agreed that it made them excited for Phantom Pain.

Mr. RHC said:
Speak for yourself.

Most MGS fans have said this has the best gameplay in the series, some are divided on particular things, but the gameplay has been soundly received.

Mr RHC said:
We will see.

I always expected Ground Zeroes to underperform in sales, despite being on several platforms, but the PS4 version has been topping the online retail charts so who knows.

At first I was very critical of the "enemy tagging" addition. I thought it would make the game too easy. However, I tried playing it with the HUD marking off (you can set it off in the OPTIONS) and it was extremely difficult. What makes it even more difficult is that you cannot see the "ZZZ" over a guard you've just tranquilized. I guess Kojima knew that the game would be too hardcore for the average gamer so I completely understand this addition.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Most MGS fans have said this has the best gameplay in the series, some are divided on particular things, but the gameplay has been soundly received.

I agree. I can't wait to have GZ style gameplay with a full game like TPP. There's no way that doesn't become the ultimate Metal Gear game.

Timeaisis

Mainly because some outlets deducted points for what they perceived to be a poor content/price ratio, which is fair enough. But just about all reviews were extremely positive about the actual game itself and all reviews agreed that it made them excited for Phantom Pain.

I'll be the first to admit I thought it had a poor content/price ratio after finishing it off in like an hour and a half. That was nearly two weeks ago, and I'm still playing the game. I've played full-priced games for less time. I feel like the reviews are of the perceived value. If you love MGS (like me) games it's endlessly replayable.

ced

Finished the main mission and one side-op.

Besides being a really expensive demo it was pretty awesome, can't wait for the the real deal.

My escape with Paz was something out of a corny action movie, running through bullets and somehow the helo made it out. Difficulty was perfect on normal, I had to re-try that escape 20 times.

Very mixed for a Metal Gear title.

Positively, according to Metacritic. Not that I think Metacritic is the be-all, end-all, however before Ground Zeroes release, a number of people were using their predicted Metacritic average (a fair number of those against this "practice" saw the game receiving a 5/10-6/10 average) as a means of bolstering their argument against the game, so I am using it as a defense.

Speak for yourself.

The criticism surrounding the actual game, itself, has been minimal. It sounds like almost everyone who has played it feels like the mechanics are sound and should things be kept in-place for The Phantom Pain, they'd be just fine with that.

We will see.

Only time will tell... We'll see if Konami is "the one paying the price" when The Phantom Pain releases, because at the end of the day, that will be the most telling.

Betty

Banned
I'll be the first to admit I thought it had a poor content/price ratio after finishing it off in like an hour and a half. That was nearly two weeks ago, and I'm still playing the game. I've played full-priced games for less time. I feel like the reviews are of the perceived value. If you love MGS (like me) games it's endlessly replayable.

Very much so, I can easily see myself playing it until Phantom Pain releases, but like you say, this really is a must buy for MGS fans only. For everyone else I couldn't in good conscience recommend they should buy it, but I would say it's totally worth playing somehow at the very least, by renting/borrowing or whatever.

Gui_PT

Finished the main mission and one side-op.

Besides being a really expensive demo it was pretty awesome, can't wait for the the real deal.

My escape with Paz was something out of a corny action movie, running through bullets and somehow the helo made it out. Difficulty was perfect on normal, I had to re-try that escape 20 times.

So you haven't even played though half of the game's content and yet you call it a demo just because that's the joke that's going around online?

E: At least you enjoyed it

ced

So you haven't even played though half of the game's content and yet you call it a demo just because that's the joke that's going around online?

E: At least you enjoyed it

The main mission took an hour and 20 mins, it's the size of a demo.

I'm glad people are enjoying side-ops, but different objectives on the same mission map doesn't justify the price.

I have not been following MGSV so I guess I missed the joke.

Salaadin

I personally don't think that a reviewer should judge a game based on its value. In 6 months when Ground Zeroes is ten dollars, all of those reviews that dropped the score because of the price are nearly worthless.

Half of those reviewers probably didn't even have to buy the game.

Gestault

I personally don't think that a reviewer should judge a game based on its value. In 6 months when Ground Zeroes is ten dollars, all of those reviews that dropped the score because of the price are nearly worthless.

Half of those reviewers probably didn't even have to buy the game.

Would you accept criticism that an entry in a series beloved for complex story arcs, engrossing boss battles and a procession of interesting environments as backdrops to the action basically has none of these? A game feeling incomplete isn't a "value" question in the terms you're describing.

NYR94

Something is up

Maybe Snake has suffered so much psychological trauma from battle that he's starting to create multiple personalities to handle the most terrible acts. Meaning it was
really Snake who pulled the bomb out of Paz but we see it as the Medic doing it because Snake is trying to disassociate himself from something so gruesome

Zen

Banned

Paz_portrait.jpg

lWnKOd1.png

They look functionally identical. I mean, she has obviously lost some weight between then and now, and the style in TPP is leaning more towards realism. When I first read your post I could not decide if it was sarcastic or not. She probably was not plucking her eyebrows in prison either.

NCell

Maybe Snake has suffered so much psychological trauma from battle that he's starting to create multiple personalities to handle the most terrible acts. Meaning it was
really Snake who pulled the bomb out of Paz but we see it as the Medic doing it because Snake is trying to disassociate himself from something so gruesome

I thought of this as well, so Ishmael is Snake's own consciousness trying to get him out of that hell of a hospital hence the same voice and no visible face. Which doesn't contradict what we're stating here: medic is just Snake's way to disassociate himself from such scene, that's why we don't see the medic's face, just like Ishmael.

I think it will be chopper based. You will have some mandatory missions (i.e free Kaz) and some side ops. When you will select one, the chopper will send you to an open world location similar to Camp Omega.

But how does this translate to what we've seen from gameplay trailers of Phantom Pain? Big Boss riding around what seems like a gigantic dessert on horseback, jeep, APC, etc.and finally comes to a base where his mission is. I hope a chopper doesn't just drop you into a secluded open area of the map. I wanted it to be more like traditional Open World games like GTA and Assassins Creed where you can go all around the map and walk to this base to do a mission, complete it, then walk to this base to do another mission.

Top Bottom