• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

cackhyena

I just spent way too much time and way too many retries going for marking all enemies in the GZ mission until I realized I should do it befuckingfore I rescue Chico or Paz.

Crimmy

Is there a Japanese audio track on the US version? I'd prefer to listen to the Japanese voices on my second play through if possible.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is there a Japanese audio track on the US version? I'd prefer to listen to the Japanese voices on my second play through if possible.

No there is not. The JPN version has English subtitles though, so if you REALLY wanted the Japanese dub you could get that version.

Ugh... leveling in the MB app is even worse than it was in Peace Walker.

If you do the later missions that net decent XP, you lose tons of guys (even when they're all lvl5) and have to train in the early missions; so you just end up doing missions 15-25 over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Bleh.

Fucking Nolan North. It's so bizarre in Arkham City when you're in the GCPD low-temperature room. Penguin is on the intercom, voiced by Nolan North and there are 5 thugs in the room, two of them also voiced by Nolan North.

If you take down the other three first, you'll basically have Nolan North talking to himself haha.
THIIIIIS

HAAATED that in AC :(

Someone a while ago asked about if the different exclusive missions per platform would eventually come to all platforms, or stay where they are. Considering the graphical differences between PS4/X1/PS3/360, they'll probably remain exclusives right? Or do any think it would be possible (even if not financially viable) to make it happen?

Ljwinter

Banned
I'm at 98%. As far as I know all I need to do is S rank the main mission on hard, did all the others already on normal/hard. Should give me the last 2%, correct?

Zen

Banned
Someone a while ago asked about if the different exclusive missions per platform would eventually come to all platforms, or stay where they are. Considering the graphical differences between PS4/X1/PS3/360, they'll probably remain exclusives right? Or do any think it would be possible (even if not financially viable) to make it happen?

Those missions could run on any version of the game, it is not like they are next gen exclusive. Deja Vu is on the PS3 version just like the one with Raiden is on the 360 version.

I think it was really dumb that they made console exclusive missions, they should have put both on each. I might be at 10 hours and only have 25% completion, but the game has a big perception problem in terms of content.

Is it weird that I am super sad
that Paz is dead? I mean I never had any special attachment to her in Peace Walker, but the game makes it clear that she was somewhat conflicted, crazy (due to everything) and her final act was pretty damn selfless. Motherbase, whatever, I know we have not even gotten to the meat of what Skullface does, and I already want to destroy this son of a bitch for what he did to Paz and Chico. No one has done anything approaching this one the series and the more I delve into the casset tapes I find on the base, the more horrible it all becomes. The thing that makes it so effective is how it does not even seem over the top for what is capable of happening in this world, Skull face seems sincere and these kinds of scenarios seem realistic, which is the worst part.

MormaPope

Banned
I can't launch the digital 360 version of Ground Zeroes any more, Big Boss just sits there and no menu loads or pops up. Remember seeing this issue pop up for the PS3 version, is there a solution to this problem?

Vire

Just S ranked each mission. Absolutely loving this game... way more than I thought I would.

I was concerned about the lack of value initially, but I've arguably put more time in this than Infamous Second Son. The gameplay is just so good and it has some of the best stealth mechanics I've ever played.

Massive improvement over previous iterations.

Banzai

What are the requirements for S Rank exactly? For example in the missions where you have to take out The Eye and The Finger, is killing them okay or do I have to extract them?
I tried extracting them and only got an A, I guess I took too long.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Got a question to those who've done all the trials, how long does it take to do these (or mainly the find and mark all enemies on each mission?). This is the last trophy to get and I've got S Rank for all missions and difficulties. I have a feeling this trial will take forever :lol:

What are the requirements for S Rank exactly? For example in the missions where you have to take out The Eye and The Finger, is killing them okay or do I have to extract them?
I tried extracting them and only got an A, I guess I took too long.

I got S rank killing them, its easy.

Go to the supply room near the first gate in the GZ mission, there's a sniper rifle inside - climb onto roof and you have perfect vantage to kill both of them and then extract

KaiserBecks

I can't launch the digital 360 version of Ground Zeroes any more, Big Boss just sits there and no menu loads or pops up. Remember seeing this issue pop up for the PS3 version, is there a solution to this problem?

Have you tried disconnecting your internet? This happened to me once on PS4, I guess the game had difficulties connecting to the Konami servers and just got stuck. Was fine after I disabled wlan access.

kubus

Got a question to those who've done all the trials, how long does it take to do these (or mainly the find and mark all enemies on each mission?). This is the last trophy to get and I've got S Rank for all missions and difficulties. I have a feeling this trial will take forever :lol:

Depends on how many trials you've already completed just by doing S-Ranks. For example when I was done S-Ranking every mission on Normal and Hard, I already had about 90% of the Hard trials completed. I only needed to do Ground Zeroes, Renegade Threat, Intel Acquisition and the Destroy Anti-Air missions on normal for "mark all enemies". The only Hard mission I had to replay for trials was Eliminate the Renegade Threat, by extracting both targets (I killed them for my S-Rank).

Marking all enemies is tedious and took about 30-45 minutes per mission for me. If you use a tactical approach you can probably finish them much faster. In the end I found out that it's easiest if you tag an enemy then shoot them in the head (make absolutely sure you tagged them) so you won't find doubles and their numbers will dwindle. After you've sweeped most of the map and can't easily find dudes anymore, go make some noise and raise alerts so they all come after you. Then hide in a watchtower or a roof or somewhere high and start tagging and tranqing/killing. (Watch out they don't send reinforcements)

I screwed up by killing a dude that I hadn't tagged yet, and then I had to go through all the bodies to find him lol.

MormaPope

Banned
Have you tried disconnecting your internet? This happened to me once on PS4, I guess the game had difficulties connecting to the Konami servers and just got stuck. Was fine after I disabled wlan access.

Thank you for the suggestion! I tried everything but that, deleting/reinstalling the game, clearing the hard drive cache, deleting my profile and redownloading it. Finally did what you suggested and everything loads up instantly.

DXPett1

After thinking it was near impossible I have S-Ranked all but GZ Mission on hard. Really am enjoying replaying the mission's so much (on harder difficulty). Forces you to rethink your approach, take notice of little things etc...

Like on the Eliminate the Renegade Threat mission I never knew inside the truck near the helipad and AA gun there was a sniper rifle. Steal that, wander down to the campsite and bump of baldy wandering down to the Refugee pit and then snipe sunglasses in the tower. Job done

S-Rank GZ on Hard, replay on Hard and spot all enemies on normal for all mission's and I'm done

EDIT: Those who have played GZ a bit should go and watch the Red Band trailer again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMyoCr2MnpM. Phantom Pain is going to be much much much bigger and better than GZ

lordxar

I was a bit iffy on this in the beginning but it does actually have quite a bit of replay. Really looking forward to TPP now. I typically suck at stealth but I keep spending more time on it and am getting the hang of it finally.

Betty

Banned
EDIT: Those who have played GZ a bit should go and watch the Red Band trailer again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMyoCr2MnpM. Phantom Pain is going to be much much much bigger and better than GZ

Absolutely, even the fact that there's an active day/night cycle that will make certain locations feel completely different depending on the time is a huge upgrade from Ground Zeroes.

iAIHkKIPz9aDe.gif

I was a bit iffy on this in the beginning but it does actually have quite a bit of replay. Really looking forward to TPP now. I typically suck at stealth but I keep spending more time on it and am getting the hang of it finally.

Somehow, it reminds me of older video games, where they weren't that long, but carried lots of replayability.

Interfectum

Played a little of this last night. I'm really liking it and it's a great taste of things to come. The openness of the stealth kinda reminds me of Hitman games. Didn't mind Keifer either.

Arttemis

I am genuinely concerned, too. The game is good looking on PS4, but it's definitely cross gen. Well further concessions be made for TPP when they have to fit ten times larger areas on the screen? I thought GZ looked great on PS3 -at night-, but Camp Omega is filled with pop-in during the day; what's going to happen in those deserts!?

Really wish Phantom Pain wasn't a cross gen game.

SonnyBoy

Ugh... leveling in the MB app is even worse than it was in Peace Walker.

If you do the later missions that net decent XP, you lose tons of guys (even when they're all lvl5) and have to train in the early missions; so you just end up doing missions 15-25 over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Bleh.

It's horrific. I'll never touch it again, which saddens me because I was enjoyed it until I found out what was happening.

cackhyena

Just S ranked each mission. Absolutely loving this game... way more than I thought I would.

I was concerned about the lack of value initially, but I've arguably put more time in this than Infamous Second Son. The gameplay is just so good and it has some of the best stealth mechanics I've ever played.

Massive improvement over previous iterations.
Feel the same. I'm over ten hours and still finding things to do. I just keep coming back. I've only spent maybe three hours total with SS.

jett

D-Member
Been playing a bit of Peace Walker for the first time, I gotta say I hope the Motherbase component is better in TPP than this shit. Actually, I wish there was no MB at all, don't really care for this. How's the smartphone app in Ground Zeroes btw?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Played a little of this last night. I'm really liking it and it's a great taste of things to come. The openness of the stealth kinda reminds me of Hitman games. Didn't mind Keifer either.

I would have to agree here, to me this feels like some kind of bizarre Hitman:Blood Money sandbox and espionage ruse action edition. Still, I do think this is a great evolution for the series and fits well for stealth. I am impressed how much replay value this game has.

Interfectum

I would have to agree here, to me this feels like some kind of bizarre Hitman:Blood Money sandbox and espionage ruse action edition. Still, I do think this is a great evolution for the series and fits well for stealth. I am impressed how much replay value this game has.

Yeah it's a LOT better than I was expecting.

JayEH

So... I already have the PS4 digital version but I wanted a physical copy too so I just bought the Xbox One version off Amazon. SMH, I'm bad with money.

NeoGiff

This is exactly what struck me, too. Really got a Hitman vibe (Blood Money in particular) from this, in the best possible way. It's an encouraging step for the series to take!

npa189

This game just makes me think I'm bad at Metal Gear games. Doing the intel retrieve op took 5 times and I just wanted to ride in the truck. First time: spotted by driver getting out. Second time: Camera in the watch tower. Third time: random guard spots me on ladder. Fourth time: random guard sees me all the way from helipad. Fifth time: no one sees me, shot out the camera, ride away in the truck, get out by prison and call in helicopter for extract, they see the chopper and start shooting as I fly away. A rank, such bullshit. What am I doing wrong? I'm just getting pissed at this game.

Interfectum

This is exactly what struck me, too. Really got a Hitman vibe (Blood Money in particular) from this, in the best possible way. It's an encouraging step for the series to take!

Yup.

When I was playing it the feeling just hit me... "I'm playing Metal Gear Hitman!" All they have to add is some sort of disguise system and it would be perfect. haha

The brief teaser trailer for The Phantom Pain, that plays after the credits in Ground Zeroes, really has me psyched for the next game. Think I'll replay GZ again the night before the next game launches.

The music in the teaser… so good, so epic...

LINK TO TRAILER - Warning contains MGS GZ ending spoilers.

Considering that Ground Zeroes has very high chances of being included in The Phantom Pain, you probably will.

I'm 50/50 on that. I think it should be but I know that will piss off a lot of people and Konami may be thinking the same way. However the game really should be included as it's basically the into and certainly the set-up for the full game.

They could get around this by including a story catch up (like the Peace Walker catch up in GZ). Who knows…

I can see GZ the mission being included as the intro to TPP, but without the 5 side missions and full trophy set.

Wow people sure weren't joking about this being short as fuck.

65 minutes or something to finish the level. Even with long cutscenes it was well bellow 2 hrs. Not happy about this being $40 digital even in Australia where we pay 70-100 for full price games.

I can see GZ the mission being included as the intro to TPP, but without the 5 side missions and full trophy set.

Oh absolutely, that's for sure.

65 minutes or something to finish the level. Even with long cutscenes it was well bellow 2 hrs. Not happy about this being $40 digital even in Australia where we pay 70-100 for full price games.

The game has more than the story mission. I've played well over 10 hours so far. I feel I got my money's worth.

Zach

Why did you think people were joking? It sounds like you were well-informed but made a bad purchase anyway.

Bad for you, at least. A lot of folks don't mind the length/replay value.

The game has more than the story mission. I've played well over 10 hours so far. I feel I got my money's worth.

It wasn't like I was rushing the main story anyway. I stopped to rescue prisoners and look around a bit. I'm happy you think it was good value for you but I'm not sure I even want to play it one more time. MGS games have traditionally been quite long with the whole game being quite replayable and often featuring lots of easter eggs, bonus features, NG+ content and so on. This is really just a sparse package for what they're asking.

Why did you think people were joking? It sounds like you were well-informed but made a bad purchase anyway.

Bad for you, at least. A lot of folks don't mind the length/replay value.

There were people saying a lot of different things about the length of the campaign. And when people were telling me that it was great for replaying and 100%ing I wasn't expecting to come out of it feeling like I'd done all I wanted to the first time through. Mainly I just regret that I bought it digital and can't trade it in / sell it / give it away.

Zach

There were people saying a lot of different things about the length of the campaign. And when people were telling me that it was great for replaying and 100%ing I wasn't expecting to come out of it feeling like I'd done all I wanted to the first time through. Mainly I just regret that I bought it digital and can't trade it in / sell it / give it away.

Yeah, that kinda sucks. Maybe you'll want to revisit it before the Phantom Pain, though?

SJRB

Gold Member
It wasn't like I was rushing the main story anyway. I stopped to rescue prisoners and look around a bit. I'm happy you think it was good value for you but I'm not sure I even want to play it one more time. MGS games have traditionally been quite long with the whole game being quite replayable and often featuring lots of easter eggs, bonus features, NG+ content and so on. This is really just a sparse package for what they're asking.

Don't give me the faux-outrage over the playtime two weeks after launch, you knew this game was short.

As for your "no bonus" thing: It has 45 minutes worth of audio tapes that sheds new light on all sorts of stuff, 7 of which are hidden throughout the several missions, there are 4 Side-Ops that can be done on both normal and hard, it has a Special Op that unlocks by finding collectables hidden throughout the game and all sorts of trials. The replayability is definately there.

Top Bottom