• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Hubble

Am I the only one that was really underwhelmed by this game and worried for the future of MGS?

As a MGS fan, this game lost a lot of its 'MGS magic'.

No codec conversations.
No Hayter. I'm sorry but this is really a big deal. It's not about resisting change but Hayter's voice has that espionage sound to it. Kiefer doesn't and sounds average. Someone should start a petition for this.
As said in its trailer, 'MGS meets open world'. Phantom Pain is going into the direction of open world and feels like it has less stealth elements and feel to it than the previous versions. Kojima himself mentioned it is taking references from GTA and boasted the large size of the open world.
No goofy/niche/Japanese feel in MGS. I don't even import Japanese games or care for them at all, but MGS just felt foreign and different but in a good way than the rest of games on the market. I hope MGS doesn't go Resident Evil on us.
Easy to get A rankings. I killed like 40 people and still got an A.

I just cant help people liking this game because of its MGS name to it and not by its actual content. I think it's bad and puts the future of the series in serious doubt.

Zen

Banned
Am I the only one that was really underwhelmed by this game and worried for the future of MGS?

No codec conversations.
No Hayter. I'm sorry but this is really a big deal. It's not about resisting change but Hayter's voice has that espionage sound to it. Kiefer doesn't and sounds average. Someone should start a petition for this.
As said in its trailer, 'MGS meets open world'. Phantom Pain is going into the direction of open world and feels like it has less stealth elements and feel to it than the previous versions. Kojima himself mentioned it is taking references from GTA and boasted the large size of the open world.
No goofy/niche/Japanese feel in MGS. I don't even import Japanese games or care for them at all, but MGS just felt foreign and different but in a good way than the rest of games on the market. I hope MGS doesn't go Resident Evil on us.
Easy to get A rankings. I mean I killed like 40 people and still got an A.

I just cant help people liking this game because of its MGS name to it and not by its actual content. I think it's bad and puts the future of the series in serious doubt.

Kojima has said that GZ deals with some very dark subject matter so it was not appropriate to have a ton of wackiness in the game, but that there will be classic MGS silliness to be found in TPP.

No Hayter: I really like Hayter, he always seems like a really nice guy, and he did not deserve to be dumped like that. That said, if there is one criticism of the replacement it is that both Sutherland and Hayter sound pretty much identical. There is only so much difference you can add to an existing role, but Sutherland is basically just Hayters Snake but in constant whisper growl mode as oppose to yelling growl. I do think that the new Snake can more naturally offer a wider range. I do love David Hayter, and how he was dropped is bullshit, but at the same time Sutherland sounds just as good, arguably better, sad as it is to say. Then again, I would bet that it is not a fair comparison since Sutherland probably has a lot more leeway with his delivery, leeway they never gave Hayter, based on what he has said.

No codec conversations: A little disappointing, I agree, I would not mind the ability to have longer conversations in conjunction with the new system of being able to request more information via the prompt. I quite like he it works in game, but again, having those longer, optional, conversations is always nice.

Open World/Less stealth: Completely disagree. Making the levels larger, and giving the enemies more sight range has only made stealth an even bigger part of the game, if you choose to engage in it. The best part of METAL GEAR games is their flexibility, like in MGS how you could play it either steal or rambo. The new ways that the AI will notice things, like a camera or light going out, and send someone to investigate, adds even more to the experience. This really is the realization of what Kojima wanted to do with MGS4, with the exception of the constant warfare/factions element. Just think about all the cool stuff you will be able to do in TPP with all the extra toys with all this space and added options.

SMZC

I know I am ten times more excited for TPP now.

Yup, same here. After how utterly disappointed I was with MGS4, I couldn't allow myself to get too hyped for MGSV. But, after playing Ground Zeroes, TPP has easily become my most anticipated game ever. So, in my individual personal experience, releasing GZ hasn't proved detrimental to TPP, but beneficial; hugely so, in fact.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

*Has a quick look around*

tumblr_m7diig61WG1qe6nyz_medium.gif

SJRB

Gold Member

No codec conversations.

Haha, no.

- Codec/radio will return in TPP
- Hayter is gone. Deal with it
- Watch the E3 trailer. How is that infiltration gameplay section not stealth? "Taking references from GTA" has you worried? It's about context: Kojima was impressed with the intricate layering of the GTAV sandbox world
- MGS isn't a niche game, so it doesn't feel niche. It's a massive blockbuster with huge production value
- A-ranks are meaningless. Try getting S-ranks after killing 40 people

This is a HUGE step forward for the series and the stealth genre in general. It leaps over predetermined definitions of what a MGS game is supposed to be, refines everything from gameplay to controls to cinematics and serves it on a plate that screams AAA-production.

Gui_PT

Guys Hayter wasn't even a good actor and his Snake voice was getting more ridiculous as each game was released.

Anything after MGS2 sounds really exaggerated.

Kiefer is a great actor and did a great job on Ground Zeroes, albeit short.

cackhyena

No codec conversations.

It's actual content is what's making it great. Even if your voice is part of the majority, I'm glad Kojima is ignoring it. Very glad.

Okay? I wasn't responding to you, nor was I trying to imply that those things were of utmost value to you. I was trying to show how Ground Zeroes is stumbling a bit.
Should I have said it doesn't matter, period? Especially meta critic of all places? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the majority of people who actually gave this a shot found it's new mechanics to be the highlight. There's a lot to be done with it, and excitement to be found in looking forward to TPP. When anyone with half a brain already knew what the content was going to be (extremely light), why would they be surprised it's a lower rated MGS game? I'd love to know what that even means to someone paying attention, since there isn't a single boss or an actual full story to play through. We knew that...move along. The actual game, the structure of the thing is solid and seems like it'll support a full game nicely.

clockpunk

No codec conversations.

Add to that the change in codec use, lack of cardboard box, and inability to pick up Claymores by crawling over them (in my experience), and that is my list of why GZ felt more like a Splinter Cell title than a metal Gear Solid game, sadly.

Z3M0G

This game, and this thread, are making me realize that Phantom Pain is going to be more of a spiritual successor of MGS: Peace Walker than MGS4... and I am not exactly happy about that...

I want more MGS1/2/3/4... not more MGS:pW.

Peace Walker was a good design for a handheld. Small pick-up-and-go missions. But I'm more of a fan of the epic MGS1-4 story formula. I realize now that MGS5 is not going to be that.

cackhyena

This game, and this thread, are making me realize that Phantom Pain is going to be more of a spiritual successor of MGS: Peace Walker than MGS4... and I am not exactly happy about that...

Peace Walker was a good design for a handheld. Small pick-up-and-go missions. But I'm more of a fan of the epic MGS1-4 story formula. I realize now that MGS5 is not going to be that.
How so? Seems like it'll be chapter ish like 4. Going to different regions to unfold the story and all. 3 is still my favorite, but I haven't been this excited to play an MGS since then.

cackhyena

They are. I was just going for that one last night and A ranked it twice thinking something is wrong, when I get both kills with no reflex in under five minutes. Just had to rescue some dudes to put me over the top, points wise.

Trike

It's actual content is what's making it great. Even if your voice is part of the majority, I'm glad Kojima is ignoring it. Very glad.

Should I have said it doesn't matter, period? Especially meta critic of all places? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the majority of people who actually gave this a shot found it's new mechanics to be the highlight. There's a lot to be done with it, and excitement to be found in looking forward to TPP. When anyone with half a brain already knew what the content was going to be (extremely light), why would they be surprised it's a lower rated MGS game? I'd love to know what that even means to someone paying attention, since there isn't a single boss or an actual full story to play through. We knew that...move along. The actual game, the structure of the thing is solid and seems like it'll support a full game nicely.

The people person I was responding to was mentioning that it was reviewing well, so I explaining how it wasn't in comparison to other MGS titles. I am sorry that I offended you by mentioning Metacritic. But you are right, no one should have expected a full game for $30.

Risisng spent a huge amount of time, and money, under development at Kojima Productions, and apprently ended up going to badly that Kojima was just going to cancel the game if they had not been able to get Platinum to do it in a year very cheaply.

Fair enough on selling it for 40. Ground Zeroes will not be in The Phantom Pain though, for what that is worth.

I forgot about how terrible the development of MGR went. Still, I think it would be odd to release Ground Zeroes early because of that. If Ground Zeroes ended up being in Phantom Pain now, that would probably be a huge mess for Konami. I wouldn't be surprised if there will end up being a special edition or bundle of though.

Betty

Banned
By the time Phantom Pain comes out, Ground Zeroes will be as cheap as chips and will probably have graced PS+ as well. I'm sure Konami will either offer it as a pre-order incentive or as part of a special edition bundle or even as a tie in during that month of PS+.

cackhyena

The people person I was responding to was mentioning that it was reviewing well, so I explaining how it wasn't in comparison to other MGS titles. I am sorry that I offended you by mentioning Metacritic. But you are right, no one should have expected a full game for $30.

I'm not offended, c'mon. My original post is pointing out that none of that matters for me. It's fun and gets me excited for the the full game. I understand why it's so divisive, but I'd be honestly curious to know the split on people disliking it as far as time spent with it. Like I said, anyone paying attention knew what they were getting into. The very first video showed how radically different it would be on a number of levels.

I like and dislike this move overall. They give me a taste of the future installment with a lot of replay value, and the chance to give input for changes to make the full game better. Pretty cool. Selling it this high is still a shit move to I assume, get some money flowing their way for the giant budget TPP must have. *shrugs*

Zen

Banned

Nah.

It has the base building of Peace Walker but -
it is basically an evolution of MGS3 gameplay with much wider areas
With the dynamic nature that MGS4 wanted to have but never really achieved

Sure it has the capturing, missions, base building, and a few mechanics (like chain cqc) carried over, but it is really taking the things that worked from all the previous games, and reinventing the wheel in an open world setting.

jett

D-Member
Finally got 100% and all trophies. Sigh. 21 hours of playtime total. All that's left to do is getting all the trials, which I'm so not going to fucking do. Besides, I don't have a smart phone so I won't reap the benefits, so to speak. And I'll probably be playing TPP on a PS4, and since Kojima Productions was dumb enough to not make this game crossplay/crosssave compatible what I earn in GZ I won't be able to put to use...probably. :p

I definitely got my money's worth, but judging a game's replayability and length by the time it takes to get all the trophies and do everything that is there to do is a bit ridiculous. I still don't think it's good value for the average consumer, not everyone is nuts like some of us.

My final impressions on MGSV is that it shows potential for being absolutely fucking amazing if the proverbial pooch isn't screwed. All of the game mechanics, once you're fully used to them, feel just fantastic and spot on. When it comes to gameplay, KP nailed it completely. GZ grabs the best elements of every game in franchise and distills them into perfection. All of the "quirks" have been streamlined in the best way possible. I'm already salivating at the thought of doing more of these side missions in multiple open world environments. For those of us gunning for S ranks and whatnot TPP could last hundreds of hours.

Trike

I'm not offended, c'mon. My original post is pointing out that none of that matters for me. It's fun and gets me excited for the the full game. I understand why it's so divisive, but I'd be honestly curious to know the split on people disliking it as far as time spent with it. Like I said, anyone paying attention knew what they were getting into. The very first video showed how radically different it would be on a number of levels.

I like and dislike this move overall. They give me a taste of the future installment with a lot of replay value, and the chance to give input for changes to make the full game better. Pretty cool. Selling it this high is still a shit move to I assume, get some money flowing their way for the giant budget TPP must have. *shrugs*

The only problem is that not everyone is so involved in following everything going on with Ground Zeroes. I am sure there were some unaware of what they were getting into, especially if they were reaching a new audience. Considering how short the bulk of the game is, I imagine a lot of the people didn't spend much time on it. There is a lot to do in the game, but who is going to seek out everything? Games like Assassin's Creed have a lot of different collectibles and side objectives, but people aren't going crazy over those. I imagine most people skip them. But if you are a hardcore MGS fan you can find value in doing those things, and the neat unlockables.

I don't think the move is entirely about money. I think they really did want to give MGS fans a taste of MGS5. The game was teased/announced in 2012 after all. Most game companies don't announce titles that far in advance anymore.

Finally received my copy last night. Was overly joyed to have gotten a Region 1 copy. I live in the ME and ME falls in Region 2 category and every game we get here is Region 2. Except for the MGS series, now I believe.

Got MGS4, 4 years ago, which was also a Region 1 copy.

1976977_10152085225307620_684027230_n.jpg

My impressions:

- Sutherland's voice is not all that distracting or out of context.
- FOX Engine can easily compete with Cry Engine and with Kojima Productions boasting such optimization on last-gen consoles, then whelp!
- 1080p/60fps is clearly visible on the PS4 version, it was super smooth right from the beginning.
- Animations and actions performed are so smooth and fluid that it was impossible to believe.
- Snake's hair had bad AA, jaggies were clearly visible. - Calling the helicopter at various locations was pretty great, rescuing POWs and hearing their chatter had a good write-up.
- The shooting or rather aiming the reticle was pretty weird, like I have clearly lined up a headshot for a target around 40m but it won't hit it :/ Frustrated me a lot. Also sometimes the enemy will have the "!" appear over their head when hit with a tranquillizer dart and sometimes don't. - There are a few graphical glitches here and there.
- Water, Rain, Reflections, Refractions are superb.
- The implementation of Second Screen using companion app is by far the best thing that has ever happened. Truly felt like next-gen. Live updating with zero lag on the data displayed. All real time.

Anyone else notice that this is this the first mainline MGS game to use mainly fictionalized weapons? It seems like most or all of the guns are mashups of several guns, unlike the previous games that used primarily real gun models. I just thought it was an interesting choice. I guess the gun-nerd in me is a little disappointed-- not that it detracts from anything in a major way, but I liked the authenticity the real guns lent to the universe. I wonder why he went this way after all this time.

References:
MGS 1 <- primarily real gun models
MGS 2 <- primarily real gun models
MGS 3 <- primarily real gun models
MGS 4 <- primarily real gun models
MGS 5 <- so far, primarily fictional mashup guns

Betty

Banned
- The shooting or rather aiming the reticle was pretty weird, like I have clearly lined up a headshot for a target around 40m but it won't hit it :/ Frustrated me a lot. Also sometimes the enemy will have the "!" appear over their head when hit with a tranquillizer dart and sometimes don't. - There are a few graphical glitches here and there.

Glad to hear you liked it Shikari, though about your aiming issue, the game does implement bullet drop, so sometimes you have to aim slightly higher than normal if the target is far away.

jett

D-Member
Anyone else notice that this is this the first mainline MGS game to use mainly fictionalized weapons? It seems like most or all of the guns are mashups of several guns, unlike the previous games that used primarily real gun models. I just thought it was an interesting choice. I guess the gun-nerd in me is a little disappointed-- not that it detracts from anything in a major way, but I liked the authenticity the real guns lent to the universe. I wonder why he went this way after all this time.

References:

Pretty interesting stuff, I had no idea that website existed.

Zen

Banned
That... I... what?

Seems like ti should be a no brainer.

I still use a flip phone because everything I could conceivably also use a smart phone for, I can do with a Vita. I get that like 99% of the population has a smart phone, but come on.

- Codec/radio will return in TPP

Haha, cool to know. So it will use codec and the prompt system?

Timeaisis

References:

YES! This was literally the first change I notice haha. I equipped my pistol and it said something said "WU" and I was like "that's not a real gun...". A little disappointing for me, honestly. The 1911 is in the form of a "fake variant" called the AM D114 Pistol (which looks identical to a real M1911). The rest of the stuff is fake, but based on real guns. It's strange to be playing a MGS game without very accurate weapon descriptions.

NYR94

Don't they have to pay licensing fees to use real guns? Maybe they used fake ones in Ground Zeroes to save some money and because it's not a full priced title.

atr0cious

YES! This was literally the first change I notice haha. I equipped my pistol and it said something said "WU" and I was like "that's not a real gun...". A little disappointing for me, honestly. The 1911 is in the form of a "fake variant" called the AM D114 Pistol (which looks identical to a real M1911). The rest of the stuff is fake, but based on real guns. It's strange to be playing a MGS game without very accurate weapon descriptions.
Doesn't this lend more credibility to GZ being a simulation?

This might be just me trying not to be cynical, but does anyone else feel the change to fake weapon names might be less to do with them going cheap with this one and more of an artistic choice to do with the fact that maybe it's part of how this game is supposed to feel like an old movie? Like with the old film reel burn effect and how they were originally gonna add a filter to it? So maybe they want some things to feel fake.

Glad to hear you liked it Shikari, though about your aiming issue, the game does implement bullet drop, so sometimes you have to aim slightly higher than normal if the target is far away.

I tried that as well, the hint did tell about the accuracy drop and weight etc etc, although I forgot that I could go into FPS mode as well to aim. That helped a bit but not much.

Hopefully after playing it to death (like all MGS I have played), it will become a non-issue

wanders

Maybe the fake weapons are developed by MSF exclusively

GrayFoxPL

References:

What? Awful. :(

Gui_PT

One thing that made me appreciate Kiefer's work more than Hayter's was in the cutscene where
BB puts Chico to sleep and tells Kaz that Paz isn't in her cell.

Kaz asks "Are you sure?"
And BB answers "Pretty sure" in a certain way as if he were saying "Yeah I'm sure you idiot, I'm looking at her cell right now"

If Hayter had said that line the result would've been a simple "Pretty suuuuuuuure"

Spoilerededed it just in case

One thing that made me appreciate Kiefer's work more than Hayter's was in the cutscene where

Kaz asks "Are you sure?"
And BB answers "Pretty sure" in a certain way as if he were saying "Yeah I'm sure you idiot, I'm looking at her cell right now"

I liked that tone of annoyance in his voice.

All the fake names/model crap really bothers me. They've used real guns for every game since MGS1, now the sudden use of fake stuff is really jarring and takes me out of the game because I go, "Ooh, a 1911, sweet... Wait, what's this?.."

I hope they're just cheaping out on the licensing for GZ to do it properly in TPP, so they don't have to pay twice.

Gui_PT

I liked that tone of annoyance in his voice.

Exactly, you could tell he was annoyed at him for asking the question.

E: I had no idea if any of the weapons in any of the games were real or not.

Why should people care? It's a game with bee shooting people, mind control people, robot ninjas, immortal vampires, giant robots and all sorts of crazy stuff. Not having real weapons shouldn't be a problem.

Zen

Banned
I honestly never cared all that much. It was a nice little thing that I barely noticed. Maybe it is because I am Canadian but having authentic guns in a game does not do much for me.

SMZC

Kaz asks "Are you sure?"

If Hayter had said that line the result would've been a simple "Pretty suuuuuuuure"

I couldn't agree more. Kiefer makes Snake sound like a professional doing his job. Hayter's post-MGS2 Snake sounded naive and clueless, if not downright dumb.

References:

I noticed that too (like a lot of others haha). Very strange decision after the other games. I actually looked at that site a few days before GZ came out to prepare myself for what Kojima would possibly offer. Pretty bummed.

Ghazi

Is there anywhere with actual Xbox 360 footage of the game? I'm thinking of buying, but I can't find any footage other than the graphics comparison trailer. For those playing on the 360, how is it?

Kaz asks "Are you sure?"

Yep, I noticed that playing last time. Very nuanced but it works well. I also like when
he yells "Dammit we were set up!" in the chopper and Sutherland voices it like he's mainly mad at himself.

Could just be me though.

Top Bottom