• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Zen

Banned
Wow people sure weren't joking about this being short as fuck.

65 minutes or something to finish the level. Even with long cutscenes it was well bellow 2 hrs. Not happy about this being $40 digital even in Australia where we pay 70-100 for full price games.

Try to get all the cassette taps, xof badges, unlock the weapons etc, try the different missions. There are a lot of things in the main mission that you will miss the first time through. I am at 10 hours and 25%.

abrack08

It wasn't like I was rushing the main story anyway. I stopped to rescue prisoners and look around a bit. I'm happy you think it was good value for you but I'm not sure I even want to play it one more time. MGS games have traditionally been quite long with the whole game being quite replayable and often featuring lots of easter eggs, bonus features, NG+ content and so on. This is really just a sparse package for what they're asking.

There were people saying a lot of different things about the length of the campaign. And when people were telling me that it was great for replaying and 100%ing I wasn't expecting to come out of it feeling like I'd done all I wanted to the first time through. Mainly I just regret that I bought it digital and can't trade it in / sell it / give it away.

It's a shame you feel that way, but to me and at least a decent portion of people in this thread, the game is all of those things (except "quite long" obviously). Even though the story content is really short, the missions are VERY replayable. To me, it's the most "replayable" Metal Gear ever. I'm not normally one to replay missions to do better, but I genuinely want to in this game when I think of a new way to approach something, or want to see how the story changes if I do things in a different order.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame you feel that way, but to me and at least a decent portion of people in this thread, the game is all of those things (except "quite long" obviously). Even though the story content is really short, the missions are VERY replayable. To me, it's the most "replayable" Metal Gear ever. I'm not normally one to replay missions to do better, but I genuinely want to in this game when I think of a new way to approach something, or want to see how the story changes if I do things in a different order.

I would have to agree with this, this game has this crazy sense of replay value and I am one of those kind of guys who could only play a game again a few times (even more rare if it's still fresh into my mind) and I can't help but feel that the formula here with the open sandbox elements and operations allows you to have so much fun in many different ways and experimenting. All the ways of how to accomplish your mission in different varieties in combination with the rank system is such a blast.

I was doing the marking all enemies trial earlier for example and I decided to use the auto sniper I had unlocked and used my night vision and started to target and go Rambo style with the enemies trying to hunt me down and find my current whereabouts. I am not usually one for going aggressive and love sticking to the shadows as a ghost but I couldn't help but have a big grin on my face and feel like "Fuck it, this is the time to cause mayhem" and seeing all the behaviors of the enemies and freaking out and then the tank coming along and going all explosive was so fucking epic, I was giggling away with this sweet sense of vengeance. I can't wait for the full package and play around with the tool box that has been made with this new direction, it's going to be so satisfying.

Zen

Banned
I can only salivate how even more replayable the full game will be with all the different environments, tons more tools and layouts and the mission creator.

There were people saying a lot of different things about the length of the campaign. And when people were telling me that it was great for replaying and 100%ing I wasn't expecting to come out of it feeling like I'd done all I wanted to the first time through.Mainly I just regret that I bought it digital and can't trade it in / sell it / give it away.

sorry, dude. sounds more than anything else like you just weren't into it? me, i was expecting to spend most of 20 hrs doing all i wanted to, & whaddaya know - i was right. well worth the price. metal gear animal crossing :) ...

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can you not get an S Rank if you use the unlocked weapons at the start of a mission?

The Flash

Banned
Alright, I'm finally going to start GZ. Over the past few days I've finished Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater and about half of Peace Walker. I really liked Snake Eater and I would have liked to have finished Peace Walker but I just got too impatient and looked up the rest of the story. I can say that I am fan of Metal Gear now. I really like the cinematic style and humor that Kojima puts in the games. I'm glad that I finally understand why MGS is considered one of the greatest video game franchises out there.

Zen

Banned
WAIT what??? Is this a real thing??? That would be insane.

MGS 5 lets you 'create user-generated missions', says Kojima

The designer said during an interview that the game's new open-world setting and multi-platform development - including functionality for smartphone and tablet integration - will afford the player much great freedoms than previous games in the MGS series, which have typically been linear in nature.

"The first reason why I wanted to go open-world is because I wanted to create a world that had a lot of freedom and allowed users to create their own gameplay," said Kojima.

"The other reason for the game going open-world is that we wanted to use multiple devices for this game," he continued. "So using tablets and smart phones you can also enjoy MGSV and create user-generated missions within the world. That's another reason we had to go open-world - if it was linear we wouldn't be able to do that," Kojima revealed.

He didn't go into specifics on exactly what he meant by 'user-generated missions', but the prospect of being able to custom-build your own missions in an open-world Metal Gear Solid game is huge.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...u-create-user-generated-missions-says-kojima/

Hopefully it is not a mistranslation.

Ljwinter

Banned
Just got 100%. Took a little over 14 hours, well worth the $30. I thought it was great and can't wait for TPP.

Time to start Infamous!

cackhyena

MGS 5 lets you 'create user-generated missions', says Kojima

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...u-create-user-generated-missions-says-kojima/

Hopefully it is not a mistranslation.
I hadn't heard of this. If it's true, my god. Being able to download someone's half decent scenarios to extend the life of TPP would be so good. Wish that was available for GZ right now. I've already sunk so much time into this and if it had more scenarios, I'd be that much further away from putting it down for good.

-Deimos

I hadn't heard of this. If it's true, my god. Being able to download someone's half decent scenarios to extend the life of TPP would be so good. Wish that was available for GZ right now. I've already sunk so much time into this and if it had more scenarios, I'd be that much further away from putting it down for good.

TPP will have MGO3. Its life is pretty much infinite. My life is basically over after it comes out.

TheBoss1

From the guy with the gray fox theory (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dZJmyu1rS9E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I realize some people find his conspiracies ridiculous but the shadow thing and the quote from the prisoner and Big Boss at the ending of this video are hard to ignore.

Edit: How do I embed videos from YouTube?

Bebpo

Banned

Would be fun if people could make simple areas that were basically VR missions.

strobogo

Banned

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dZJmyu1rS9E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I realize some people find his conspiracies ridiculous but the shadow thing and the quote from the prisoner and Big Boss at the ending of this video are hard to ignore.

You can't.

cackhyena

TPP will have MGO3. Its life is pretty much infinite. My life is basically over after it comes out.
I've never played mgo. With these mechanics, I might just have to give it a whirl. I'd still rather have user generated levels/scenarios, overall. Super fans could really make it special.

Erigu

I realize some people find his conspiracies ridiculous
Yep.

"This guy is holding his left arm! Just like that guy who's holding his right shoulder nine years later! Coincidence???"
"They use the word "Fox" when talking about the Fox Engine... Could that mean we're playing as Gray Fox??"
"Also, David Hayter!!"

And it takes him forever to get to the (inane) point, too. 30 minutes for something that could have been read in three. Even Kojima does better than that.

Zen

Banned
What is the best way to s rank the chopper mission?

i used the tranq pistol on everything accidentally killed 1 guy and had 3 retries, I got a B!

foxtrot3d

Banned

i used the tranq pistol on everything accidentally killed 1 guy and had 3 retries, I got a B!

Well that's just it you gotta use the tranq pistol, kill no one, and don't have any retries.

Betty

Banned

Don't kill anyone, don't die or let the target die and you should get it. Destroying the APC won't count as a kill, but be careful you don't hit any surrounding soldiers.

julrik

Use the "stun gun" when shooting from the chopper. Before picking up the guy, pick up the the grenade launcher by the nearest building, pick up the guy, hide him behind the building, deal with the vehicle that appears (with the grenade launcher), pick up the guy, hop on the chopper, and destroy the enemy chopper with the bazooka.

Vire

I did it guys!

BkLtpmnIEAAWmm-.jpg:large

Sorry it's over... :(

all i needed to hear, next

I prefer 4chan trolling theories.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't kill anyone, don't die or let the target die and you should get it. Destroying the APC won't count as a kill, but be careful you don't hit any surrounding soldiers.

Does the
guard that slams into a barrel
count as a kill against you?

nillapuddin

There are obviously alot of emotional moments in this game, or atleast intended moments for emotion.

But
rescuing the prisoner during the AA mission, and listening to his dialogue while I carried him to the chopper, seriously had my eyes swelling up. honest to god, if yall havent rescued him, you need to.

Trike

Yeah bro, fight the power. Despite the fact that GZ is reviewing well, has good word of mouth amongst MGS fans, and is (apparently) selling well - this whole thing sure blew-up in Konami's face.

Except that Ground Zeroes is the worst reviewed Metal Gear Solid game on metacritic. Not to mention the criticism about the length of the game and the divisiveness among fans regarding the decision to axe Hayter.

cackhyena

Except that Ground Zeroes is the worst reviewed Metal Gear Solid game on metacritic. Not to mention the criticism about the length of the game and the divisiveness among fans regarding the decision to axe Hayter.
None of that matters to me, so cool.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've been putting more time into this the past few days and now that the gameplay has clicked it's really grown on me. The lack of feeling like you make any progress combined with the fact that all of the missions take place in the same area with very similar objectives just drags it down. If you're someone who plays for score and ranking, you'll adore this but that's not me for the most part, especially in Metal Gear.

That said, the actual stealth gameplay is top notch and I think the cutscene direction is far improved from previous games. I like Sutherland as Snake too. I'm massively excited for Phantom Pain now since I think that'll correct my issues with the lack of scope in GZ.

Zen

Banned

If anything, Konami should take to heart that reviewers will ding the game for being short (even if it has a lot of content if you want to look for it) and that is the issue. No one, not even reviewers, has a single bad thing to say about the gameplay. I think we will have to wait and see if this damages hype for TPP, or if getting the gameplay template out there, issues about price and all, helped it. I think it will end up being such a big release, that what happened a year ago will not matter.

I know I am ten times more excited for TPP now.

I think the meta critic would have been noticeably higher if the game had retailed for 19.99, and 9.99 digital, but Koanmi (like others have said) probably wanted to recoup more of the losses off of Rising.

jett

D-Member
S-ranking the Renegades mission on hard mode...how the fuck?

I rescue the two prisoners.
I have reflex off.
I only kill the targets.
I finish the mission in less than five minutes.

I can't believe still I get an A, what a bunch of fucking assholes. Extracting the two guys is a huge pain in the ass and takes a long ass time, and I can't imagine how obnoxious it would be without reflex. :|

Trike

If anything, Konami should take to heart that reviewers will ding the game for being short (even if it has a lot of content if you want to look for it) and that is the issue. No one, not even reviewers, has a single bad thing to say about the gameplay. I think we will have to wait and see if this damages hype for TPP, or if getting the gameplay template out there, issues about price and all, helped it. I think it will end up being such a big release, that what happened a year ago will not matter.

I know I am ten times more excited for TPP now.

I think the meta critic would have been noticeably higher if the game had retailed for 19.99, and 9.99 digital, but Koanmi (like others have said) probably wanted to recoup more of the losses off of Rising.

The only bad thing I have heard about the gameplay is that some people dislike that there is a reflex mode, and that the game is short. I don't think the release of Ground Zeroes will have a noticeable negative effect on the release of Phantom Pain, but I think it is being viewed to some as damaging to the brand and potentially to the fans.

I don't really get the recouping of the costs from Rising, didn't that game sell well? I know Kojima was pleased and they talked about a sequel. Either way, trying to sell the beginning portion of the game for $40 is a really crappy thing to do, even if they did add a few things.

oh no not the metacritic

It's almost like the person I was responding to was mentioning reviews, but who wants to read everything? If it makes you feel better, the user reviews are significantly worse.

Ghost King

Neo Member
There are obviously alot of emotional moments in this game, or atleast intended moments for emotion.

But
rescuing the prisoner during the AA mission, and listening to his dialogue while I carried him to the chopper, seriously had my eyes swelling up. honest to god, if yall havent rescued him, you need to.

Yeah man,
I was really feeling that he was one of my guys that I got from peace walker and him being grateful for the rescue and for his loyalty to Big Boss was more emotional that the other stuff for me.

BadAss2961

I have reflex off.
I only kill the targets.

I can't believe still I get an A, what a bunch of fucking assholes. Extracting the two guys is a huge pain in the ass and takes a long ass time, and I can't imagine how obnoxious it would be without reflex. :|
I did it by getting Palitz and the prisoners to the extraction point, then sniping Glaz before leaving with everyone.

Zen

Banned
The only bad thing I have heard about the gameplay is that some people dislike that there is a reflex mode, and that the game is short. I don't think the release of Ground Zeroes will have a noticeable negative effect on the release of Phantom Pain, but I think it is being viewed to some as damaging to the brand and potentially to the fans.

I don't really get the recouping of the costs from Rising, didn't that game sell well? I know Kojima was pleased and they talked about a sequel. Either way, trying to sell the beginning portion of the game for $40 is a really crappy thing to do, even if they did add a few things.

Risisng spent a huge amount of time, and money, under development at Kojima Productions, and apprently ended up going to badly that Kojima was just going to cancel the game if they had not been able to get Platinum to do it in a year very cheaply.

Fair enough on selling it for 40. Ground Zeroes will not be in The Phantom Pain though, for what that is worth.

kubus

I have reflex off.
I only kill the targets.

I posted my approach for this mission a few pages back, on mobile atm so I can't easily look it up now. With my strategy you can beat the mission in 3 minutes by sniping both targets without raising an alarm, netting you a S Rank.

Edit: found it anyway. here

Good luck!

Lol that's basically my strategy except I didn't use a smoke grenade but instead just tranqed the two other guards.

I have reflex off.
I only kill the targets.

Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IMlY6chcAQ

Top Bottom