• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Wow. Sub 3?
I have got close on the Hideo mission. But will have to look up how to do it non-lethal too.
There is that concussion cannon, but the range is so poor.

Well, to be fair, Palitz was kind of a lucky shot, but if you get near the northeast exit fast once the mission begins, you can spot both of them and get clear headshots.

For reference: this guy did it in less than a minute and a half: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfoPAIybQXo

Wow. Sub 3?
I have got close on the Hideo mission. But will have to look up how to do it non-lethal too.
There is that concussion cannon, but the range is so poor.

Its effective range is actually incredibly far -- you can 1HKO guys from 100ft+.

Just use that, turn on the aim-assist, and lead the APC to the bend in the road as to not kill KO'd guys with your rockets. You can kill a few guys and still S the mission, I usually used the grenade launcher when the 2nd jeep tries to ram the vehicle (after the truck), killing the enemy jeep and the 2 guys next to the barrel. Also, for the helicopter, just wait and it'll fly along side yours, giving you a clears shot at the gunmen.

It took me a couple tries but it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Palpable

Registered for an account simply for Metal Gear (my goodness it takes forever to get approved). Loved Ground Zeroes despite some of its flaws. I played it on the PS4.

One thing really irked me; why use made up guns now? I get some weapons were made up in past games for sci-fi sake, but it seems even the basic weapons are fictional now. The marines in the camp don't even use M16s. In past Metal Gear games, the enemy weapons of choice said something about them & they even made them a point. "This is the greatest handgun ever made... The Colt Single Action Army." or "AKS-74u's..." plus "They're armed with five five sixers and pineapples" & when Raiden noticed the Gurlukovich soldiers armed with AN-94's indicating they're Russian mercenaries.

laminaatplaat

Neo Member
Registered for an account simply for Metal Gear (my goodness it takes forever to get approved). Loved Ground Zeroes despite some of its flaws. I played it on the PS4.

One thing really irked me; why use made up guns now? I get some weapons were made up in past games for sci-fi sake, but it seems even the basic weapons are fictional now. The marines in the camp don't even use M16s. In past Metal Gear games, the enemy weapons of choice said something about them & they even made them a point. "This is the greatest handgun ever made... The Colt Single Action Army." or "AKS-74u's..." plus "They're armed with five five sixers and pineapples" & when Raiden noticed the Gurlukovich soldiers armed with AN-94's indicating they're Russian mercenaries.

This is just guessing but maybe the MGS5 (both games) story got a bit to controversial and Kojima productions couldn't procure the licenses to use the real weapon designs/names or wasn't willing to pay enough for it?

Thinking about it that way I wonder if the Call of Duty MW2 'no Russian' mission was negotiated by the manufacturer of the M240 machine gun used in that mission. Doesn't seem like something a company wants as PR, although appearing in CoD game does create business I guess...

Grinchy

Banned
They aren't using real guns in the Ground Zeroes mission because none of it actually happens. It's a dream that Snake is having while he's in a coma.

The twist is that his coma isn't caused by mother base being invaded but instead is from the time that he and Kaz were fist fighting naked after a shower. Snake slipped and hit his head and everything since then has been a dream. I'm an expert.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I like it. That logo is cool enough that I think you can appreciate it even if you don't catch the reference.

iLLmAtlc

Anyone doing speed runs? This seems like the hardest game to do so far, everything just seems so random. People will spot you sometimes in certain situations but not in others. Enemies occasionally show up in spots they wouldn't normally either.

I'm working on a No kill, no alert, no retry, no reflex run on Hard and I've only completed it once. Best I've done is 10:47 but I'm a little pissed because I used marked map instead of call helicopter and I wasted like 1-2 minutes waiting for it and calling it for real. :|

I think I'm just gonna try and do it once with the helicopter properly called and never try it again, it's really, really difficult.

Jerrod

Anyone doing speed runs? This seems like the hardest game to do so far, everything just seems so random. People will spot you sometimes in certain situations but not in others. Enemies occasionally show up in spots they wouldn't normally either.

I'm working on a No kill, no alert, no retry, no reflex run on Hard and I've only completed it once. Best I've done is 10:47 but I'm a little pissed because I used marked map instead of call helicopter and I wasted like 1-2 minutes waiting for it and calling it for real. :|

I think I'm just gonna try and do it once with the helicopter properly called and never try it again, it's really, really difficult.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQXGtqa-bIanCEz_cKiHxAXgYkvHkg8YV

My speed run playlist. All videos were first on Xbox One leaderboards at time of recording. My later videos are my best, and most are still first on Xbox One.

iLLmAtlc

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQXGtqa-bIanCEz_cKiHxAXgYkvHkg8YV

My speed run playlist. All videos were first on Xbox One leaderboards at time of recording. My later videos are my best, and most are still first on Xbox One.

Nice runs!

Did you think GZ was much harder than the other MGS speedruns? Having just finished this I can say this was easily the hardest bit of 8 minutes I've done on any MGS speedrun. I'm not sure how I can explain it, it just felt so random and unpredictable.

8:41, I'm pretty sure I won't be trying it again in a long time. Hats off to you sir.
i5hArEa.jpg

Jerrod

The levels are so short it isn't really hard at all. There is very little randomness if any at all. My commentaries on my speed run explain some of the perceived randomness, it is mostly based on your timing.

teknix

Neo Member
Anyone not going to watch the E3 2014 trailer for TPP to avoid spoilers? The 2013 trailer had lots of GZ spoilers but maybe because they didn't plan to release it as a separate game till afterwards?

Hopefully all this Chico = Quiet talk will be put to rest in this new trailer.

Donna Burke - Sins of the Sausage

Palpable

Anyone not going to watch the E3 2014 trailer for TPP to avoid spoilers? The 2013 trailer had lots of GZ spoilers but maybe because they didn't plan to release it as a separate game till afterwards?

Hopefully all this Chico = Quiet talk will be put to rest in this new trailer.

Donna Burke - Sins of the Sausage

The fact that the theory got mildly popular was ridiculous. If anyone truly believed it, then I really question the sanity of the MGS fanbase. I'm hoping it's just a vocal minority.

valkyre

I am with you... I aint going to watch it.

The fact that it is -as Kojima says- heavily story oriented trailer, is a definite no-no for me, especially after realising that with the E3 2013 trailer, Kojima pretty much spoiled the entire plot of Ground Zeroes... for fuck sake...

I really was hoping for a gameplay trailer/reveal and see whether the technical aspects of the game have improved and any new stuff.

So yeah... i am going dark with this one :(

R-User!

I am with you... I aint going to watch it.

The fact that it is -as Kojima says- heavily story oriented trailer, is a definite no-no for me, especially after realising that with the E3 2013 trailer, Kojima pretty much spoiled the entire plot of Ground Zeroes... for fuck sake...

I really was hoping for a gameplay trailer/reveal and see whether the technical aspects of the game have improved and any new stuff.

So yeah... i am going dark with this one :(

I think I just want to know the release date at this point more than seeing any details in any trailer.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't even pretend I won't watch the trailer.

Ground Zeroes really was spoiled by the "trailers" they showed before, but I think it's just because the story content was so short that a trailer showed us all of it. I am hoping that TPP is a much bigger experience and that whatever they show us will only be a sliver with a lot of unanswered questions.

Palpable

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a gameplay walkthrough of a portion of the Afghan level at E3. I'd be extremely surprised if we don't get one by TGS's end.

teknix

Neo Member
... I am hoping that TPP is a much bigger experience and that whatever they show us will only be a sliver with a lot of unanswered questions.

If GZ is any indicaiton of how the gameplay will be TPP. You will probably be able to speed run the whole game in like an hour. I think I read somewhere based on the openness of the game you will be able to objectives in multiple ways you might even be able to bypass boss battles. But I don't think that makes sense since you'd need to keep some sort of linearity to tell the story. And usually after a boss battle some new information about the story unfolds and moves things along.

Finally got this over the weekend and it's more brief than I originally thought(!).

I like the sneaking changes as much as I hate the detection ones. The more organic hiding element (and move to 60FPS) is definitely appreciable - more so in an open world - but I could never pinpoint how well hidden I was. The lens flare clues are pretty pants and detection feels completely random rather than some new mechanic at play which ultimately left me frustrated. And then if you do get caught, you have the instant kill/tranq option which feels a bit meh.

I'm not sure I'll bother with the filler missions due to the above annoyances, but the way the
Chico/Paz
scenes were dealt with has definitely got me wanting TPP. I think the fairly gruesome and taboo subject was dealt with well and Kojima seems to have got his touch back for the cinema aspects.

Grinchy

Banned
^I didn't even feel like I was any good at the game until I had played the extra missions and went back to the main one (and repeated them all many times later on). You can go from thinking that it's too easy to be detected to being an invisible Olympic sprinter if you keep playing.

IMO only playing the first mission once is like beating a game's tutorial and never playing it again.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know you could use Snake's dive to knock guards over, notably that first guard on the cliff edge during the "Renegade Threat" Side Op. Laughed mine ass offen.

gdt

Well I just bought this, and finished it. I'll tackle the side stuff I guess. Looked great and was 60fps.

The movement and control changes were fantastic. Playing MGS2 will be even harder after feeling the new controls out.

That entire fight on the tanker should have been gameplay though.

Just beat the main mission. 2 hours lol.
Hot damn what the fuck at that story. And the subtle things in there. Damn.

Time to play the side ops

Edit: dude wtf at those tapes man. Why

Meneses

This has probably been answered already and I apologise, but is there actually a PS3 to PS4 upgrade program for Ground Zeroes?

My google-fu is failing me.

R-User!

Edit: Problem solved: needed to take the Deja Vu test on hard... thought that i had already taken it...

Also, is there anywhere that has an archive of the best Rankings or videos of some of the best scores? For example, oyakatacss has a score on Deja Vu of 0.32.803 seconds for finishing the Deja Vu mission on Hard.
That seems ridiculously difficult to accomplish!

TheBoss1

Edit: Problem solved: needed to take the Deja Vu test on hard... thought that i had already taken it...

Also, is there anywhere that has an archive of the best Rankings or videos of some of the best scores? For example, oyakatacss has a score on Deja Vu of 0.32.803 seconds for finishing the Deja Vu mission on Hard.
That seems ridiculously difficult to accomplish!

33 seconds!? That seems impossible to do.

Still loving this game. Just finished the Deja Vu mission. Bwahahah so good.

Controls in this are pretty freaking amazing. They got the MGS feels while being buttery smooth.

Hype for TPP through the roof right now

R-User!

33 seconds!? That seems impossible to do.

It does seem so, but others have 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 40, 41, 41, so it seems that it should SOMEHOW be possible to get to the goal after triggering the single déjà vu sequence.

The question is HOW?!

I ended up getting 46 or 47 seconds I believe, but I'm still about ~14 seconds off first place... Very frustrating trying to figure out how 13 seconds are gained... :/

Jerrod

I couldn't figure it out, fastest I could do was 45 seconds on Deja Vu. There has to be a glitch that lets you finish early.

valkyre

I dont know if this was brought up to discussion, but guys... WTF happened to an official soundtrack release for this game/demo/whatever?

Dont know your opinion on this, but to me GZ, has a pretty amazing soundtrack and I really dont understand why there is no official release yet...

All we have is some youtube rips and I seriously want higher quality stuff.

Any clues?

only for the the phantom pain, but we're not exactly sure what that is at this point

So buying this game pre-owned mean I will miss out on unlockable stuff in TPP?

does it come with a code or something?

edit: looks like it does. hmmm oh well I have a $10 coupon for pre-owned games at GS I would rather pick this up for $15

iLLmAtlc

you're probably not gonna miss very much. probably a bonus item or a head start on mother base or something. regardless, just by playing you'll get this:

Gematsu spotted that Konami has told Famitsu that players who load their Ground Zeroes save file into MGS 5: The Phantom Pain will find all the POWs that they saved in Ground Zeroes appearing in Mother Base MGS 5: The Phantom Pain.

valkyre

Man, i've played this game sooo many times, that I officially HATE Miller...I hate his voice, his guts!

I cant stand hearing his constant talking.... oh my god... I want him dead seriously...! If MGSV gave me the option right now to shoot him I would!

Worst of all is that even if you are in the middle of a mission and you quit the game , only to continue later, he will still start saying aaaaaaaaaall the goddamn stuff from the beginning...

It is utterly unbearable for me... I honestly just quitted the game yesterday because of this! I seriously hope this shit is fixed in TPP...

Yes I am a drama queen.

lol

Blader

Finally picked this up yesterday. Is this game harder than the typical MGS or am I just really out of practice? The last traditional Metal Gear I played was 4, and that was six years ago, so maybe I'm just rusty but I'm finding GZ a lot harder than past games.

It's pretty fun though, and the side ops actually do provide some nice extra content. I think I'm having more fun with them than with the story mission.

Top Bottom