• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

valkyre

Finally picked this up yesterday. Is this game harder than the typical MGS or am I just really out of practice? The last traditional Metal Gear I played was 4, and that was six years ago, so maybe I'm just rusty but I'm finding GZ a lot harder than past games.

It's pretty fun though, and the side ops actually do provide some nice extra content. I think I'm having more fun with them than with the story mission.

It plays quite differently than previous games. I had the same trouble at the beginning. Dont worry, you'll get the hang of this, once you get accustomed to the controls and new gameplay mechanics. And once you do, you wont be able to go back... :)

iLLmAtlc

Finally picked this up yesterday. Is this game harder than the typical MGS or am I just really out of practice? The last traditional Metal Gear I played was 4, and that was six years ago, so maybe I'm just rusty but I'm finding GZ a lot harder than past games.

It's pretty fun though, and the side ops actually do provide some nice extra content. I think I'm having more fun with them than with the story mission.

Definitely not you. I played mgs3/4 on extreme at least once every year for like 5 years and it was hard for me.

this freaking game. I have been playing it all week. I keep coming back. Side missions + hard runs etc.

Kojima is a god.

worth a lot more then the $17 I paid for it.

Palpable

this freaking game. I have been playing it all week. I keep coming back. Side missions + hard runs etc.

Kojima is a god.

worth a lot more then the $17 I paid for it.

Agreed. I have over 80 hours logged and I play through the story mission at least once a day.
9407342A-7C28-4F43-8CC3-052765B249CE_zpsqtvfgz1h.png

Palpable

Were can you see all these stats?

If you have an iPhone or Android, just download the companion app and go to Data Portal.

It's the same app that allows you to view/control the iDroid while you play in real time.

I believe you have to search 'Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes' or something like that. It isn't simply titled 'iDroid'.

valkyre

If you have an iPhone or Android, just download the companion app and go to Data Portal.

It's the same app that allows you to view/control the iDroid while you play in real time.

I believe you have to search 'Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes' or something like that. It isn't simply titled 'iDroid'.

Many thanks, will try it :)

EDIT: Just did it, my numbers are quite good actually, I have straight A+ everywhere except No-Kill Completions which is a B- ( i just like to kill them stealthy sorry) and Rodden exterminations which is a B lol as well as Crows which are A-...

damn now I have more reasons to play, i have to get these numbers A+ as well :D

Palpable

Many thanks, will try it :)

EDIT: Just did it, my numbers are quite good actually, I have straight A+ everywhere except No-Kill Completions which is a B- ( i just like to kill them stealthy sorry) and Rodden exterminations which is a B lol as well as Crows which are A-...

damn now I have more reasons to play, i have to get these numbers A+ as well :D

You're welcome. Oddly enough, most of my mouse kills are from falling on them or opening a fence that they're next to lol

435185D4-55EF-424C-BD2B-52A6AD516F90_zps7rty5zkt.png

Salaadin

I didnt know you could view all those stats in the app. Nice.

Mine suck because I have a tendency to fuck around with the guards and AI when I have nothing else to play and that often results in me being seen

mbmonk

I picked this up after seeing the 30 minute Phantom Pain vid.

My first playthrough I got a score of -12,500 points. A couple of things contributed to that score. I suck, first and foremost. I left the game going while I was gone for about an hour and also I just couldn't resist hopping in the APC to see what it was like. I racked up quite a few kills and thus huge negative points. I think kills were about -9000 alone.

Now that I actually understand the inventory system and the movement mechanics I did much better on my second play through :).

This little prequel is really impressive and polished. I expected less to be honest. Working on the third play through now.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They really should have released a side-ops mission pack for this...

Also, playing on hard should automatically make Miller stfu about gameplay related tips. And completing a mission on any difficulty should give an option to make him stfu in general. STFU Miller, even the goddamned radio doesn't drown you out.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Miller, Quiet.

Blader

I picked this up after seeing the 30 minute Phantom Pain vid.

My first playthrough I got a score of -12,500 points. A couple of things contributed to that score. I suck, first and foremost. I left the game going while I was gone for about an hour and also I just couldn't resist hopping in the APC to see what it was like. I racked up quite a few kills and thus huge negative points. I think kills were about -9000 alone.

Now that I actually understand the inventory system and the movement mechanics I did much better on my second play through :).

This little prequel is really impressive and polished. I expected less to be honest. Working on the third play through now.

same, I was pretty terrible on my first playthrough and was wondering if I was just severely out of practice (haven't played a traditional MGS since 2008!), but I quickly improved after going through all the side ops. There's a definite learning curve to this game compared to the past titles, but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun.

Evolved1

One issue the game has imo, that hurts it a bit, is how it seems to be set up for speed runs. There are a few windows in the game where you're able to get through an area very aggressively (not even having to think about stealth) so long as you time it right. But if you miss these windows, you get punished a bit. They will flood the areas with guards (almost to the point where it's a bit obnoxious) so it really seems like the game is more about memorizing those early patrol windows and rushing through them than it is about dynamic sneaking. You're actually punished a bit for playing cautiously.

This is just something I've noticed. Not harping, I like the game. I'm just saying...

I wish everything was a bit more randomized.

mbmonk

same, I was pretty terrible on my first playthrough and was wondering if I was just severely out of practice (haven't played a traditional MGS since 2008!), but I quickly improved after going through all the side ops. There's a definite learning curve to this game compared to the past titles, but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun.

I would agree about the learning curve and then the amount of fun goes up considerably. Also I need to do those side missions :)

iLLmAtlc

I found playing a tactical espionage action run a lot of fun. Rules are you turn off all features not in mgs1-4 and no sprinting. With all the sprinting ground zeroes allows it sometimes felt unlike mgs to me. Playing like this really made the game feel like mgs in the open world.

What are some runs you guys find fun?

Palpable

I found playing a tactical espionage action run a lot of fun. Rules are you turn off all features not in mgs1-4 and no sprinting. With all the sprinting ground zeroes allows it sometimes felt unlike mgs to me. Playing like this really made the game feel like mgs in the open world.

What are some runs you guys find fun?

I always play as though I'm actually Big Boss. I'll go in and sneak as tactically as possible. I don't get spotted, I don't kill, and I always get every POW out. I have a safe S rank route I like to take in GZ. I'd be more than happy to show you if you like. Let me know and I can hop on Twitch if you want to watch.

You're welcome. Oddly enough, most of my mouse kills are from falling on them or opening a fence that they're next to lol

[MG]http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee160/Foxhound9074/435185D4-55EF-424C-BD2B-52A6AD516F90_zps7rty5zkt.png[/IMG]

Yesterday I accidentally got a rat kill when it ran in front of my directional mine intended for an enemy guard. Scared and confused the hell out of me for a good minute.

Minamu

So this happened to me the other day :lol
Here!

Can't stop laughing at the comedic timing.

I just finished S ranking every single mission on both difficulties, and I'm only at 85%, what else do I have to do? Haven't touched Jamais Vu, mind you. Would it count for so much as dlc?

Palpable

So this happened to me the other day :lol
Here!

Can't stop laughing at the comedic timing.

I just finished S ranking every single mission on both difficulties, and I'm only at 85%, what else do I have to do? Haven't touched Jamais Vu, mind you. Would it count for so much as dlc?

That's hilarious! It happens oddly often for me lol.

Yeah Jamais Vu counts. I was at 100% when the DLC came out and it knocked me down to 85%. You need to beat each mission on each difficulty twice. Basically just do one of the trials the 2nd time around (one playthrough needs to be S rank for each).

Minamu

That's hilarious! It happens oddly often for me lol.

Yeah Jamais Vu counts. I was at 100% when the DLC came out and it knocked me down to 85%. You need to beat each mission on each difficulty twice. Basically just do one of the trials the 2nd time around (one playthrough needs to be S rank for each).
Thanks, trying to get my last S ranks now :) Surprisingly fun mission. A question though, at the end Miller laments the fact that we still don't know where these Snatchers come from, as if I missed some kind of intel data somewhere. Same thing with the AA emplacement missions, "we still don't know who sent those aircrafts". Is there something I'm missing in these two missions?

Palpable

Thanks, trying to get my last S ranks now :) Surprisingly fun mission. A question though, at the end Miller laments the fact that we still don't know where these Snatchers come from, as if I missed some kind of intel data somewhere. Same thing with the AA emplacement missions, "we still don't know who sent those aircrafts". Is there something I'm missing in these two missions?

No, it's just a story thing. The aircraft that bombed the base are clearly from Cipher covering their tracks, and the Snatchers are from the game Snatcher. It's just a side op bit.

gdt

I didn't even see these logs in Ground Zeroes. These are great. Ground Zeroes is a direct sequel to Peace Walker lol. No wonder I had no idea what was going on.

Edit : strangelove rubbing lotion on Paz's body... gulp

Minamu

No, it's just a story thing. The aircraft that bombed the base are clearly from Cipher covering their tracks, and the Snatchers are from the game Snatcher. It's just a side op bit.
Okay :) No need to go file hunting then.

Edit: Stuck at 99%, Hard S rank is hard, heh.

For anyone having trouble getting S ranks on either difficulty, I'm going to start putting videos of my routes on my channel. I recently put up Intel Acquisition. I'd like to know what you all think.

haha...that's quite the route for the S-rank. i just rode the truck in...went up to the main guard tower, shot the camera out, collected the decoy tape, went right back down and rode the truck out

also, what are you using to capture? this isn't what USB export videos look like normally is it?

Palpable

haha...that's quite the route for the S-rank. i just rode the truck in...went up to the main guard tower, shot the camera out, collected the decoy tape, went right back down and rode the truck out

also, what are you using to capture? this isn't what USB export videos look like normally is it?

Yeah that's what I did for the trophy, but riding the truck out takes a bit of extra time. Yeah I just exported the video to my flash drive and put it on my PC to upload. It could be the way Sony Vegas rendered the video if it looks different to you.

Yeah that's what I did for the trophy, but riding the truck out takes a bit of extra time. Yeah I just exported the video to my flash drive and put it on my PC to upload. It could be the way Sony Vegas rendered the video if it looks different to you.

i've never tried the USB to PC method, just facebook. the quality on yours is soooo much better

J-Roderton

Snagged it from the XBLA summer sale and damn I am having a tough time. Granted I only had time for about 45 minutes of it last night, but I am seriously going to have to get used to the controls. Just recently played 1-3 and this is a whole new beast. Looks really great graphically, though. Ended up falling off the cliff withing 20 seconds of the first mission and proceeded to get caught by guards 5 times while searching for Chico. Hopefully I'll have time to grab a few brews and sit down with this game this weekend and give it some time. One thing that stands out to me is the shooting mechanics when shooting over or around objects. It;s like my gun won't fire. And CQC seems a little weird now, too.

Palpable

Snagged it from the XBLA summer sale and damn I am having a tough time. Granted I only had time for about 45 minutes of it last night, but I am seriously going to have to get used to the controls. Just recently played 1-3 and this is a whole new beast. Looks really great graphically, though. Ended up falling off the cliff withing 20 seconds of the first mission and proceeded to get caught by guards 5 times while searching for Chico. Hopefully I'll have time to grab a few brews and sit down with this game this weekend and give it some time. One thing that stands out to me is the shooting mechanics when shooting over or around objects. It;s like my gun won't fire. And CQC seems a little weird now, too.

All I can recommend is to take your time, mark enemies, and use first person when aiming if the over the shoulder crosshair isn't red. CQC is much more streamlined now. Here's a tip; holding up enemies and then telling them to lay down will render them useless unless found by another guard or an alert sounds. Hide bodies by throwing them off the cliffs if need be, they don't count as kills. While carrying them, press the fire/punch button to toss them. Hope this helps.

J-Roderton

All I can recommend is to take your time, mark enemies, and use first person when aiming if the over the shoulder crosshair isn't red. CQC is much more streamlined now. Here's a tip; holding up enemies and then telling them to lay down will render them useless unless found by another guard or an alert sounds. Hide bodies by throwing them off the cliffs if need be, they don't count as kills. While carrying them, press the fire/punch button to toss them. Hope this helps.

That's cool that it doesn't count as a kill to toss them over the edge. Sweet.

J-Roderton

I will say it is pretty cool how enemies react to situations when you alert them. While hiding in a bush near the cages a big group of enemies just posted up and made a barricade just waiting for me to come walking down the hill toward them.

Evolved1

I don't really like how Snake has to "pop up" to throw empty mags. Now yeah I get the argument that it's a way to balance the sneaking, the OP mags in particular, but it's not a very good argument for at least two reasons:

You can throw from prone -- basically if you get down prone you can make the throws without exposing yourself. So really, not being able to toss from crouch without popping up is just tedious. All they've really done is introduce a mechanic that makes things more cumbersome. Imo.

You could just limit the free mags -- if they want to balance it, just limit the mags you have to toss. I think they could even go a bit further and let Snake throw from his own pool of mags. Want a distraction? Fine. But it'll cost you your own ammo.

I don't really like how Snake has to "pop up" to throw empty mags. Now yeah I get the argument that it's a way to balance the sneaking, the OP mags in particular, but it's not a very good argument for at least two reasons:

You can throw from prone -- basically if you get down prone you can make the throws without exposing yourself. So really, not being able to toss from crouch without popping up is just tedious. All they've really done is introduce a mechanic that makes things more cumbersome. Imo.

You could just limit the free mags -- if they want to balance it, just limit the mags you have to toss. I think they could even go a bit further and let Snake throw from his own pool of mags. Want a distraction? Fine. But it'll cost you your own ammo.

i agree, you should be able to aim throwable weapons from cover without limitation. or......when cover is obstructing aim, the field/range in which the thrown weapon lands should widen accordingly, almost like a blind fire. blind throw a mag over a barrier

sometimes i feel like the KojiPro programmers go out of their way to make certain actions more realistic or logical, but end up ignoring others. like aiming from a roof while prone. it makes sense that you wouldn't be able to aim at every thing, but the range in which you could aim down should be larger, to compensate for the fact that a real human can improvise and move their elbows to aim differently.

but i guess all of this is difficult to balance in order to encourage stealth. now that the shooting controls since MGS4 are so tight and almost TPS-levels, it's tough not to make the game too easy to just run and gun

Evolved1

I'm having trouble S ranking a lot of missions. I can get to Chico and Paz no problem, but getting her out is a major buzzkill. Such trial and error on that extract it's frustrating.

And saving the other POWs in the prison camp is too fucking tedious to do every time to pad the point totals against my inevitable alerts.

Also, people said mission time doesn't really matter, but that's kind of BS. I look at the totals at the end, and being cautious is costly. Now when I'm playing the missions I feel like there's a counter ticking down at all times. I've never liked time limits. Not in sneaking games anyway.

Idk man, it's annoying.

Minamu

I'm having trouble S ranking a lot of missions. I can get to Chico and Paz no problem, but getting her out is a major buzzkill. Such trial and error on that extract it's frustrating.

And saving the other POWs in the prison camp is too fucking tedious to do every time to pad the point totals against my inevitable alerts.

Also, people said mission time doesn't really matter, but that's kind of BS. I look at the totals at the end, and being cautious is costly. Now when I'm playing the missions I feel like there's a counter ticking down at all times. I've never liked time limits. Not in sneaking games anyway.

Idk man, it's annoying.
After rescuing Paz, carry her obviously and tranq the first guard close to the staircase after he's finished talking to the other soldier. Stay under the camera above unless it's already off/broken, and move forward and right. Hide until the guard ahead starts moving up the stairs. Then just go through the door and past the giant gate and go around the right corner. Continue hugging this wall all the way to the AA gun and tranq these two soldiers. Then you can run around the AA gun all the way down to where the empty mag is on a crate. There will most likely be a guard around the right corner so tranq him too. Now you can just run along the west refugee camp almost all the way to the door in the fence. Be careful though as there might be a guard in the booth on the other side of the fence by the road looking at the very first AA gun and he heard me sprinting on hard the first time :) I got this route from an S rank hard mode playthrough on youtube. No need for other hostages. I usually call the chopper before I reach Chico and the last chopper is called at that empty mag so it gets there just in time.

J-Roderton

Beat it. All that's left is collectibles and side missions. Finally got into the groove and feel better with the controls. Really only struggled trying to get Paz out. Ended up going out guns blazing and calling in the chopper right out of that door. Gonna go stealth tonight and get some patches and cassettes. Really liking it so far. Seems like there should be plenty of stuff to do after the main mission.

Evolved1

After rescuing Paz, carry her obviously and tranq the first guard close to the staircase after he's finished talking to the other soldier. Stay under the camera above unless it's already off/broken, and move forward and right. Hide until the guard ahead starts moving up the stairs. Then just go through the door and past the giant gate and go around the right corner. Continue hugging this wall all the way to the AA gun and tranq these two soldiers. Then you can run around the AA gun all the way down to where the empty mag is on a crate. There will most likely be a guard around the right corner so tranq him too. Now you can just run along the west refugee camp almost all the way to the door in the fence. Be careful though as there might be a guard in the booth on the other side of the fence by the road looking at the very first AA gun and he heard me sprinting on hard the first time :) I got this route from an S rank hard mode playthrough on youtube. No need for other hostages. I usually call the chopper before I reach Chico and the last chopper is called at that empty mag so it gets there just in time.

I ride the truck in for Paz, so the giant door is usually open... so I've never attempted that way on extract. I'll give it a shot later.

Thanks for the write up.

Palpable

Idk man, it's annoying.

I actually really enjoy showing my specific route to people. It's not a speed route, it's a safe one. It'll grant you an S rank every time if you follow what I do. If you'd like me to show it to you, let me know. I'd be glad to hop on twitch tonight and let you see how I do it.

As for S ranking other missions, here is one side op I recorded for an easy S rank (stay on the truck at the end for a trophy). I'll upload more if people would like to see how I got all my S ranks.

Evolved1

XOF I'll check those vids out later, right now I'm keen on solving the GZ hard S rank.

Today I accomplished the S rank on normal, and now I'm curious if my route will work on Hard. If I can't get it, I'll fall back on some video tutoring. Plus, I find GZ is pretty fun to watch other people play (as long as it's not pure speed run, those things break immersion for me too much to enjoy).

Palpable

XOF I'll check those vids out later, right now I'm keen on solving the GZ hard S rank.

Today I accomplished the S rank on normal, and now I'm curious if my route will work on Hard. If I can't get it, I'll fall back on some video tutoring. Plus, I find GZ is pretty fun to watch other people play (as long as it's not pure speed run, those things break immersion for me too much to enjoy).

Agreed. I don't care for speed runs too much. Like I said, if you're interested in seeing my route, I'll show you live via twitch.tv tonight or whenever. I'll do it on hard and it'll be an S rank run.

Evolved1

Btw as far as I can tell, it isn't possible to ghost these levels. You are forced in GZ missions to at least tranq. or hold up enemies. Pure sneaking appears to be impossible.

Minamu

I ride the truck in for Paz, so the giant door is usually open... so I've never attempted that way on extract. I'll give it a shot later.

Thanks for the write up.
I try to get into the truck as well. The gate stays open if you're fast enough I guess but there's usually no guard around to see you there anyway. Just go straight out from the door I think and the armored vehicle won't see you on the left either. That's how I finally got my S rank after like 10 tries. Only Jamais Vu left now.

Top Bottom