• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes |OT| Kaz, I'm already a demo

Alienous

This is a good post. I think every Metal Gear Solid game, whether they are loved or hated, should be applauded for not being afraid to be different.

MGS2 - Different main character
MGS3 - Jungle setting, food & wounds system
MGS4 - Five different locations with breaks in-between
MGS: PO - first to use a mission based format and the ability to recruit, and play as, many different characters (outside of Metal Gear Online)
MGS: PW - base management and a heavy emphasis on extra content (Extra Ops, collectable briefing files), and the first to have a hidden, second ending
MGS: GZ/TPP - open world

That doesn't mean Snake Eater isn't the best.

And I'd argue, in terms of what defines a Metal Gear Solid game, MGS3 does it better than any other game in the series. Any. Easily.

MGS2 is a good game, but it isn't at the level MGS3 is. Especially considering things like level design and narrative.

SJRB

Gold Member

And I'd argue, in terms of what defines a Metal Gear Solid game, MGS3 does it better than any other game in the series. Any. Easily.

MGS2 is a good game, but it isn't at the level MGS3 is. Especially considering things like level design and narrative.

What defines a MGS game?

cackhyena

Not that I don't agree with you about 3, but you are listing things that are too objective to be classified as "best". Level design and narrative both fall under that when you compare say, MGS2 v 3.

Oh, I wasn't responding to that. Just the comment about MGS3 feeling so different yet familiar. I personally like MGS2 nearly as much as MGS3, but there are points where the MGS3 narrative falters. While the overall story is excellent, the Cobras serve almost as little purpose as the B&B Unit (I know that the whole point is that they follow the Boss without question, and have a mysterious background with missions that the public never knew about, but they still could have expanded a little bit).

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Chat log from a conversation I just had with Playstation support, says that they have no information/update about when the digital PS4 version of MGS GZ will be available:

Well that does it, I'm getting the ps3 one, cause in Peru the physical one is $46

SJRB

Gold Member
Chat log from a conversation I just had with Playstation support, says that they have no information/update about when the digital PS4 version of MGS GZ will be available:

So I guess I’m going to continue the tradition of getting MGS games in their boxes, despite my best intentions of going all-digital for the PS4. I’m coming for you, reversible cover.

This confuses the hell out of me. What does he mean "there is no digital version for the PS4 yet"?

Alienous

What defines a MGS game?

Stealth

Tactical Espionage Action

A movie-like plot

Cutscenes

Bosses

Nukes are bad

I know there's a level of subjectivity, but it's a La Li Lu Le Lo lie to say any other game in the series does any of the above better. I usually believe in opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own, but I can't imagine an argument for MGS3 not being the pinnacle of the series.

Stealth

A movie-like plot

Cutscenes

Bosses

Nukes are bad

I know there's a level of subjectivity, but it's a La Li Lu Le Lo lie to say any other game in the series does any of the above better. I usually believe in opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own, but I can't imagine an argument for MGS3 not being the pinnacle of the series.

You also forgot missing limbs.

Stealth

A movie-like plot

Cutscenes

Bosses

Nukes are bad

If we are going by this, I still think MGS1 takes the cake in those particular points.

Currently anxious about whether or not GZ will appear on the PS4 version of PSN tonight at 12:00AM. I’ve searched everywhere for an answer with no conclusive results. My friend, who has been much more in tune with PSN over the years than me, reckons it will appear when PSN updates “tomorrow night” whatever that means.

I got $10 of credit on PSN so it seems like a better idea to get it digitally, but if I can’t even download it tonight, might have to call up the local Gamestop after all and appreciate that sweet reversible cover.

Damn that hurts! This is the first time me getting a retail game digital, getting this game retail will cost me $43 which is even more absurd.

cackhyena

There is a crazy amount of potential for ridiculous bosses if they exploit the open terrain and don't force us into interiors for them.

Its exciting.

It's going to be so different, not only because of such openness, but also because you don't have a vault worth of weapons and shit in your belt pouches like previous games.

SJRB

Gold Member
Stealth

A movie-like plot

Cutscenes

Bosses

Nukes are bad

In terms of that list, both MGS and MGS2 also deliver in spades. I think the best thing about the trilogy is that even though they all have the same core DNA, they're still wildly different in their execution.

And yeah, opinions opinions, but for me MGS2 is the pinnacle of the franchise.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Anyone got more than 50 hours of game play? Lol

So...sorry if this has been answered, but does anyone know the price of Ground Zeroes digitally on PS4? I see that the physical edition of both PS3 and PS4 version is $29.99, yet the digital copy of the PS3 version shows as 19.99. Does this mean PS4 digital is 19.99 as well?

So...sorry if this has been answered, but does anyone know the price of Ground Zeroes digitally on PS4? I see that the physical edition of both PS3 and PS4 version is $29.99, yet the digital copy of the PS3 version shows as 19.99. Does this mean PS4 digital is 19.99 as well?

PS4 version is $30 regardless of what version you want.

It close between the two, and MGS3 wins by being the mechanically better game, but people are claiming MGS2 is the best in the series.

Madness. Utter and complete.

MGS3 is the best, but MGS2 has always been my favorite... If that makes any sense.
I love them all, equally, though.

MGS3 is the best, but MGS2 has always been my favorite... If that makes any sense.
I love them all, equally, though.

I agree. Objectively, I think 3 has better gameplay, graphics, and a better overall plot than 2 (More coherent and focused). But no MGS game has blown me away like the first time I played Sons of Liberty. Those graphics. Those plot twists. That ending.

Or, perhaps, Sony don't want demos (even paid ones) to have a Platinum trophy. Still, my opinion stays the same: he's bulls****ing us.

It's odd, Telltale's TWD had a platinum trophy simply for beating the game. And that was a 'budget' title. So either this is BS, or a new policy. I did notice that I 100%'d both Journey and Flower, and neither had a platinum.

I like the game; took me roughly 2 hours to finish the main missions, and that was with me messing around with different strategies. I've tried one side mission so far; haven't been too disciplined as far as stealth is concerned, getting a lot of D rankings lol. I like the playground aspect of it; the game gives you plenty of options when approaching missions, and the stealth works well enough. Haven't played on Hard yet, so I'm not sure what the difference is, but I like that during daytime missions enemies will spot you from much farther distances compared to at night.

The ending is definitely cringe-worthy though. Can't wait for TPP, but this is a nice diversion until then. I kinda expected more graphically, but it looks good enough. Fans of the series should enjoy this, but I'm not sure if it's worth 30 bucks (PS4).

I am very dissapointed with the "Stores" with the PS4 and Xbox One.

No release time, pre-loading or anything. Their services are complete crap compared to Steam. The fact we have no idea when this game will go live tonight is ridiculous, and no preloading is dissapointing.

Nintendo does a better job, they've given release times to their games but no preloading.

MormaPope

Banned
It close between the two, and MGS3 wins by being the mechanically better game, but people are claiming MGS2 is the best in the series.

Madness. Utter and complete

Its not as uncommon as you think.

I keep thinking about a game starring The Boss as a lead. E3 2017, a trailer of in game gameplay starts with a lone soldier on a airplane, equipment and other items on the plane are rumbling/rattling about. A light turns green and the soldier opens the door, peaks out, and then jumps out. The player is controlling where the solider goes, after diving through clouds a massive battle is seen, taking place on a beach and land. D-day is happening.

The player moves the soldier behind enemy lines and deploys their parachute. The player could've landed anywhere on land. The solider has a clean landing well past the battle. The solider takes off a mask, and it is revealed to be The Boss. The Sorrow through mind conversation says "quick landing my dear", and then The Boss replies "I don't keep people waiting."

THEN BOOM, Metal Gear Solid: Legacy of the Philosophers pops up on the screen.

Drop mic, pants will be shitted in, the Metal Gear fan base across the world rejoices for weeks.

cackhyena

I keep thinking about a game starring The Boss as a lead. E3 2017, a trailer of in game gameplay starts with a lone soldier on a airplane, equipment and other items on the plane are rumbling/rattling about. A light turns green and the soldier opens the door, peaks out, and then jumps out. The player is controlling where the solider goes, after diving through clouds a massive battle is seen, taking place on a beach and land. D-day is happening.

The player moves the soldier behind enemy lines and deploys their parachute. The player could've landed anywhere on land. The solider has a clean landing well past the battle. The solider takes off a mask, and it is revealed to be The Boss. The Sorrow through mind conversation says "quick landing my dear", and then The Boss replies "I don't keep people waiting."

Drop mic, pants will be shitted in, the Metal Gear fan base across the world rejoices for weeks.

1766691434.png

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

How would Kojima fill the other eight and a half minutes?

Nibel

MGS2 is one of the best games the entire medium has to offer, period

I can't recommend this video enough - it explains the game better than I can.MGS2 might not be the ultimate MGS-stealth game people expected, but it's something way bigger than that

tookhster

Still not sure if I wanna get this. I've been itching for more MGS ever since MGS4 (never got into Peace Walker), but the 2 hour thing is really a downer for me. Is the 2 hour counter including cutscenes?

And is the game actually "fun" enough to play around with in the open world? Because from what I've seen in the gameplay, it doesn't look like something like Just Cause 2 or GTA where I can actually have fun after the main quest, especially since you're trying to be stealthy all the time.

Nibel

Still not sure if I wanna get this. I've been itching for more MGS ever since MGS4 (never got into Peace Walker), but the 2 hour thing is really a downer for me. Is the 2 hour counter including cutscenes?

And is the game actually "fun" enough to play around with in the open world? Because from what I've seen in the gameplay, it doesn't look like something like Just Cause 2 or GTA where I can actually have fun after the main quest, especially since you're trying to be stealthy all the time.

Can't comment on GZ but you should really try Peace Walker (preferably the HD version), it's a great MGS game which can be enjoyed in short bursts. I might put it above MGS4

cackhyena

Reading previews or watching streams will give this answer better than anyone in this thread can, unless they got a copy early. If you're coming for story, pass it up.

Loxley

I am very dissapointed with the "Stores" with the PS4 and Xbox One.

No release time, pre-loading or anything. Their services are complete crap compared to Steam. The fact we have no idea when this game will go live tonight is ridiculous, and no preloading is dissapointing.

Nintendo does a better job, they've given release times to their games but no preloading.

From what I can tell, whether or not you can preload games is determined by the publishers and not Sony. I swear there have been games in the past where you could preload on PSN, unless I'm completely misremembering.

Also, comparing either service to Steam is a bit silly at this point. Steam has had a decade to get its shit together, whereas Sony and MS have only really embraced the idea of day 1 digital for what? Barely three years? The console market still relies heavily on physical game sales, unlike the PC market. I'm not defending Sony and MS for having comparatively lacking services, both PSN and XBL have a ways to go if they want to be considered as useful and streamlined as Steam, but it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

Anyway, back on topic, I found a playthrough on YouTube and managed to watch about 20 minutes of it before it got yanked. Bah, this wait is rough :(

Kikujiro

MGS2 is pure genius. Amid the nonsense plot and stupid characters, there is a brilliant and foretelling analysis of the digital age. It's a smart game, much smarter than people think it is.

This is why, despite the tripe that was MGS4's writing, I still have faith in Kojima. Because MGS2 was amazing.

IMACOMPUTA

So I guess I’m going to continue the tradition of getting MGS games in their boxes, despite my best intentions of going all-digital for the PS4. I’m coming for you, reversible cover.

I'm willing to bet that like most customer service reps, this guy has no fucking idea what he's talking about.

Top Bottom