• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

Kazuhira

As for Quiet, it's the target that got away. But she never expected falling in love with the damn target.

That's because quiet is sniper wolf.
I'm being serious now,it's almost 90% sure that she knew that venom was not big boss and that's why she had a change of heart.

MGS3 is a prequel and is considered by a lot of people to be the best MGS so far. Even if its not the best by some, its still a very good prequel.

Yeah, but it's not concerned with filling in all the blanks like some people are suggesting MGSV was obligated to do.

brau

Yeah, but it's not concerned with filling in all the blanks like some people are suggesting MGSV was obligated to do.

TPP was no obligated either... and Kojima actually tried to do that. Introduce another character to make sense of the saga.

The thing is.... Kojima clearly stated the game was about the downfall of BB. Several times.

SomTervo

I'm talking about the "myth" outside of the narrative. I think the game is talking to the player and their part in perpetuating it, of playing MGS3, PW, and GZ. You both aren't and are the character (I know, I know). It's a calabaration between the character and you to perpetrate the it.

Neiteio put it far better than I could.

This is the point.

Venom has his own story.

The player has his own story.

But somewhere in the middle, in-between both of them, there's the symbiotic space, this meeting point where we enact Venom's adventures just as much as he enables us. It was a great musing on the audience-as-actor nature of "the videogame".

It's the opposite idea from Bioshock and MGS2 which muse that the player's role doesn't matter, it's all scripted/set out anyway. MGSV doesn't take that meta-destiny look at it and instead just glares straight at how a player plays the game and how the in-game events relate to that. It's definitely more simple and relates less to the series' overall themes, but I felt it was a pretty profound, nice thing to say anyway. I had a warm fuzzy feeling when the game basically said: "It's all thanks to you, without you, there's no Big Boss, you made him real."

I'm being serious now,it's almost 90% sure that she knew that venom was not big boss and that's why she had a change of heart.

That does make sense, great idea - but what scene does she realise it in?

Finally finished the game today. I assumed chapter two would have a well formed "fake" ending with a big climactic boss fight, just like ch. 1- maybe it wasn't the ending Kojima wanted- the ending of the whole game- but still a clean break to go out on. I was not prepared to replay the first mission and get an extra cutscene.

It's temping to blame Konami, but I have to question why Kojima didn't put more priority on key sequences... like the ending of the entire game. The thought that they recorded days worth of audio cassette dialog to slog through and dedicated several different cutscenes specifically to Quiet's tits is kind of frustrating when the final mission was left half finished. It's not as if they had an entire chapter to go, it was just one more mission.

I was actually fine with the story otherwise. Sure, it's paced oddly, and it doesn't always tie into the narrative of the series with much impact, but it's nice to get a break from intensely complicated 20 minute dialog scenes.

I'm really glad the tone of this thread/these threads is lightening and it's not just an infinite torrent of vitriolic hatred anymore.

God, OT1 wasn't fun.

TPP was no obligated either... and Kojima actually tried to do that. Introduce another character to make sense of the saga.

The thing is.... Kojima clearly stated the game was about the downfall of BB. Several times.

The trailers said that - IIRC Koji himself never did?

There is a solid argument that BB's manipulation of Venom, up to where he is in the final Intrude Tape scene and is about to be killed by Solid Snake, is Big Boss's final turning point. Big Boss has finally fully abused someone else's life and exploited them for his own end. He already turned into a demon in PW when he was making nukes and shit, but then in TPP he finally exploits his own men to do the truest dirty work and influence history.

I don't necessarily 100% subscribe to that theory, but I think it checks out to a certain extent.

Roni

Gold Member

It could be, if you play the game like a maniac. Venom is Big Boss, no matter how many tears you all shed.

Kojima didn't lie.

brau

It could be, if you play the game like a maniac. Venom is Big Boss, no matter how many tears you all shed.

Kojima didn't lie.

Na... the actions of the players perhaps.. but the characters of Venom hardly fits the description of a maniac.

Maybe thats the issue. There is no clear distinction. Games that come to mind that did this well. Infamous, even when i didn't care for the story, at least the path of the character (evil and good) branch out nicely and there is a clear distinction. RDR as well.

Ashura_MX

https://youtu.be/alxN1i1GagM?t=278

"The missing link that completes the saga" sure many people have pointed out they would've preferred seeing Grey Fox, Sniper Wolf instead of randoms guys that become irrelevant once the game ends.

Kojami's words not the fans really, they promised X and delivered Y playing us like a fiddle in the process, so, Mission complete Boss!

Roni

Gold Member
Na... the actions of the players perhaps.. but the characters of Venom hardly fits the description of a maniac.

Maybe thats the issue. There is no clear distinction. Games that come to mind that did this well. Infamous, even when i didn't care for the story, at least the path of the character (evil and good) branch out nicely and there is a clear distinction. RDR as well.

Game was huge enough 5 years weren't enough to make it. You wanted branching paths and, I'm assuming here, matching cutscenes with appropriately different performances? That was not going to happen. Best they could do was turn Snake into an empty vessel the player could fill with his opinions.

Kind of like when you start having dialogue with NPC's when playing a silent protagonist game.

JayEH

Well Kojima heavily suggested it will in trailers and interviews. "The missing link", "In outer heaven men become demons", teasing Solid snake, etc. Everyone is upset because kojima with his own words set everyone up for disappointment. It's not like everyone is getting the idea of this being the game that bridges the gap between MGS and MG1 on their own.

SomTervo

Not that it was obligated to do so, that it promised it do so.

The game didn't promise anything. The game is just a game. Look at it on its own merits.

IIRC it was the non-Kojima videos which were all "THE MISSING LINK IN THE MGS SAGA." Koji didn't even sign off on that shit.

And even if he did, it doesn't matter. It's a classic Kojima troll to promise one thing in a trailer then do the complete opposite in the game.

Opto

Banned
The game didn't promise anything. The game is just a game. Look at it on its own merits.

IIRC it was the non-Kojima videos which were all "THE MISSING LINK IN THE MGS SAGA." Koji didn't even sign off on that shit.

And even if he did, it doesn't matter. It's a classic Kojima troll to promise one thing in a trailer then do the complete opposite in the game.

Well the times he did that before it was a good swerve. This swerve is just "you're not really Big Boss"

JayEH

All the trailers except the Gamescom trailer were edited by Kojima. Marketing wasn't feeding it to us, Kojima himself was.

SomTervo

Well Kojima heavily suggested it will in trailers and interviews. "The missing link", "In outer heaven men become demons", teasing Solid snake, etc. Everyone is upset because kojima with his own words set everyone up for disappointment. It's not like everyone is getting the idea of this being the game that bridges the gap between MGS and MG1 on their own.

It's just so classic Kojima.

All the trailers except the Gamescom trailer were edited by Kojima. Marketing wasn't feeding it to us, Kojima himself was.

Did all the trailers say that? The only one I remember explicitly saying it was the horrible non-Kojima one.

I could be wrong, but links would be cool.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

brau

Game was huge enough 5 years weren't enough to make it. You wanted branching paths and, I'm assuming here, matching cutscenes with appropriately different performances? That was not going to happen. Best they could do was turn Snake into an empty vessel the player could fill with his opinions.

Kind of like when you start having dialogue with NPC's when playing a silent protagonist game.

Yea.. i can see that... but a more traditional take, or at least a fleshed out characters, not even VS.. but everyone else, would have helped in this regard.

Also, this kind of debate is where that whole is Nathan Drake a mass murderer/righteous comes to play. Gameplay aside, VS is pretty shallow.

It is just not directly. BB has become everything he hates: a manipulator.

With no wrap up at the end, except for a cutscene where BB tells you you are me and i am you... how is that good storytelling?

The real manipulator is Kojima. As he has stated that he tries to betray gamers expectations at all times.

The trailers said that - IIRC Koji himself never did?

There is a solid argument that BB's manipulation of Venom, up to where he is in the final Intrude Tape scene and is about to be killed by Solid Snake, is Big Boss's final turning point. Big Boss has finally fully abused someone else's life and exploited them for his own end. He already turned into a demon in PW when he was making nukes and shit, but then in TPP he finally exploits his own men to do the truest dirty work and influence history.

I don't necessarily 100% subscribe to that theory, but I think it checks out to a certain extent.

Alright.... i'll bite. I understand the manipulation... but how is this to be a big impact when its presented as is? and even when it is presented in a tape, how does the story hold up on its own? All the explanations TPP has rely on lust for revenge, parasites x100 and phantoms. not even in a smart way, they just keep repeating those until they feel like the player has no other choice but to believe it.

SomTervo

Well the times he did that before it was a good swerve. This swerve is just "you're not really Big Boss"

Yeah, but that's not even a swerve, arguably. To put that in other words, you could say, "Big Boss became a true demon by manipulating a person into building an army for him then getting that person killed. Oh yeah, you play that person. Who thinks he's Big Boss."

JayEH

It's just so classic Kojima.

Did all the trailers say that? The only one I remember explicitly saying it was the horrible non-Kojima one.

I could be wrong, but links would be cool.

Nah Kojima didn't ever do anything like this with trailers. Look at mgs3/4 trailers they're pretty straight forward. MGS2 is the only comparable thing and he never said anything like THE MISSING LINK TO SOLID SNAKE'S STORY. It was promised as a sequel to MGS1 and it was just had a different main character.

As far as the trailers go like I said they're all kojima edited except the gamescom one.

Roni

Gold Member
You people (on the other side of the spectrum about the story) really make it hard not to go nuclear on your opinions with comments like these.

Kojima personally edited the launch trailer.

Oh, you mad Kojima misled you with marketing content?

In retrospect it should've been pretty clear Big Boss was never gonna be portrayed killing children. It was always going to be something that would leave at least a respectable margin for anyone to challenge the notion that Snake was a villain.

In the end, it was exactly that. Big Boss' villany is left ambiguous and wide open for anyone to project whatever they bring to this game.

If your sole criteria is "kills a lot of bad guys" than it's time for Punished Mario and Venom Donkey Kong

That's a valid opinion, man...

JayEH

In retrospect it should've been pretty clear Big Boss was never gonna be portrayed killing children. It was always going to be something that would leave at least a respectable margin for anyone to challenge the notion that Snake was a villain.

In the end, it was exactly that. Big Boss' villany is left ambiguous and wide open for anyone to project whatever they bring to this game.

Then what is the point of this game when MGS3 did this and a much better job as well.

SomTervo

Yea.. i can see that... but a more traditional take, or at least a fleshed out characters, not even VS.. but everyone else, would have helped in this regard.

Also, this kind of debate is where that whole is Nathan Drake a mass murderer/righteous comes to play. Gameplay aside, VS is pretty shallow.

He's deep, but it's dealt with in a very subtle way. Ah, I can't even be bothered re-typing this. Go back a few pages or look earlier in my post history :p we've covered this so many times.

Basically:

> Medic worked his way up through MSF MB ranks to be near-best soldier (not far off BB and trained directly under him)
> close with Boss etc. is an experienced, talented soldier trained to be subservient (like all soldiers)
> gives his life to save boss in the Ground Zero crash
> goes into a coma, then an extended coma through medication. spends 9 years being hypnotised and manipulated into learning all of Big Boss's memories, experiences and beliefs
> wakes up with someone else's face - BB's
> subconsciously knows something is wrong. This is clear from all of his behaviour. Silent. Unsure of self. Has an uncanny sense that things aren't right.
> whenever Kaz or Ocelot are around, he defers to them all the time. His training around how to handle superiors is still ingrained
> but becomes assertive when it's stuff he experiences directly after Wake Up - Skullface, Quiet, etc. anything in the past/BB's timeline (eg Volgin, Eli, Huey, Boss AI) he is no good at handling

Compare this to when you see Big Boss in the last scene and he's assertive, intelligent, humorous and decisive. I think it's very cleverly written - even though the cleverness is in the lack of writing.

I'm going to have to bow out of this thread soon, because I'm tired of repeating myself. No slight against you, it's just we had this exact discussion about 10-20 pages ago and the people on your side of the fence conceded after we covered all this and we moved onto other topics!

Nah Kojima didn't ever do anything like this with trailers. Look at mgs3/4 trailers they're pretty straight forward. MGS2 is the only comparable thing and he never said anything like THE MISSING LINK TO SOLID SNAKE'S STORY. It was promised as a sequel to MGS1 and it was just had a different main character.

As far as the trailers go like I said they're all kojima edited except the gamescom one.

Yeah but did any of those kojima trailers explicitly say it was the missing link for the saga?

I know the GC one did but that wasn't him. I'm trying to look for evidence where Kojima actually said it was the missing link or anything. IIRC he only ever said the 'become a demon' line.

I'm off to bed, will reply in morning.

Roni

Gold Member
He's deep, but it's dealt with in a very subtle way. Ah, I can't even be bothered re-typing this. Go back a few pages or look earlier in my post history :p we've covered this so many times.

Basically:

> Medic worked his way up through MSF MB ranks to be near-best soldier (not far off BB and trained directly under him)
> close with Boss etc. is an experienced, talented soldier trained to be subservient (like all soldiers)
> goes into a coma, then an extended coma through medication. spends 9 years being hypnotised and manipulated into learning all of Big Boss's memories, experiences and beliefs
> subconsciously knows something is wrong. This is clear from all of his behaviour. Silent. Unsure of self.
> whenever Kaz or Ocelot are around, though, he defers to them all the time. His training around how to handle superiors is still ingrained
> is only assertive when it's stuff he experiences directly after Wake Up - Skullface, Quiet, etc. anything in the past/BB's timeline (eg Volgin, Eli, Huey, Boss AI) he is no good at handling

Compare this to when you see Big Boss in the last scene and he's assertive, intelligent, humorous and decisive. I think it's very cleverly written - even though the cleverness is in the lack of writing.

I'm going to have to bow out of this thread soon, because I'm tired of repeating myself. No slight against you, it's just we had this exact discussion about 10-20 pages ago and the people on your side of the fence conceded after we covered all this and we moved onto other topics!

You're not gonna convince them...

Blader

I don't think there's anything ambiguous about it. He sacrificed his best soldier -- his identity, his memories, and eventually his life -- to achieve his own ends and protect himself. Big Boss' downfall is brought full circle: what he hated the Philosophers for doing to The Boss he ended up doing exactly the same to Venom.

Ahab's manipulated transformation into Venom Snake is the downfall of Big Boss.

Blader

It's funny how so many people are ok with this now. I mean, I loved MGS2 from the start myself, but I remember so many being really pissed off with the Raiden bait-and-switch.

Roni

Gold Member
I don't think there's anything ambiguous about it. He sacrificed his best soldier -- his identity, his memories, and eventually his life -- to achieve his own ends and protect himself. Big Boss' downfall is brought full circle: what he hated the Philosophers for doing to The Boss he ended up doing exactly the same to Venom.

Ahab's manipulated transformation into Venom Snake is the downfall of Big Boss.

Not enough, the haters needed to see BB pulling teeth, raping and pillaging in order to hammer the point home.

SomTervo

Disappointment is cool as long as it's Kojima.

What an amazingly lax standard he's managed.

Please tell me where I said 'Disappointment is cool'?

I didn't say it was a good or a bad thing. I just said 'it's classic Kojima'.

For your information, I am not cool with it (particularly if other people are right here re the Missing Link thing, which is likely). I meant what I said in a critical way. I've detested how Kojima handled narratives in most of his games, including MGSV. I just think some aspects are worth praising (like in all of the games) and I'm fighting their corner.

Reebot you just... You just need to step back. Your posts all feel like thinly veiled shitposts at this point.

Did he edit that one? I didn't think he did.

Fair enough if so.

brau

Basically:

> subconsciously knows something is wrong. This is clear from all of his behaviour. Silent. Unsure of self.
> whenever Kaz or Ocelot are around, though, he defers to them all the time. His training around how to handle superiors is still ingrained
> is only assertive when it's stuff he experiences directly after Wake Up - Skullface, Quiet, etc. anything in the past/BB's timeline (eg Volgin, Eli, Huey, Boss AI) he is no good at handling

Yeah but did any of those kojima trailers explicitly say it was the missing link for the saga?

I know the GC one did but that wasn't him. I'm trying to look for evidence where Kojima actually said it was the missing link or anything. IIRC he only ever said the 'become a demon' line.

I'm off to bed, will reply in morning.

Alright. i see that. But all those traits are established but how does his character develop during tpp? The only time you see some type of change is with Paz, and that whole bit was truly a good piece of work. It was smart, it made sense by the time it wrapped up and it told something about the Medic. Not in direct relation to the player.

So which one is it? you really can't have it both. VS is either the medic or the player. Trying to have them both just creates inconsistencies.

Anyways... the game is static. Nothing really develops over time, and characters don't transcend or fall, and the ones that are hinted that do is outside of the game.

Huey is an asshole. Stays an asshole.
Kaz is upset... he stays upset.
Ocellot is just... there.
Zero, at least with him you get some insight on his motives.
Skullface... flat character that is just mad?
Eli... just a brat. Doesn't even expand on why it is that he hates BB.
Paz... pretty cool arch that develops.
Quiet.... interesting character that does show some development.
DD... at least grows up to be a dog.
Codetalker.... flat character that likes hamburgers and parasites.

hmmm.... i forget who else. lol.

You're not gonna convince them...

Sorry.. but i don't get this attitude.

This forum is a place to discuss ideas and the game in general. So how is that bad? I respect you guys opinion and i have turned around to see many things maybe i was not aware of and learned to recognize that. Interpretation, specially in a game like this, is heavy, and its interesting to discuss it.

Dunno whats with this "eh forget it" comment.

I wonder if there's a timeline for MGO... Since you can actually play as your avatar (Ahab or... John since that's his default name I guess), it would be sort of interesting that if MGO was basically pre-GZ and basically where Venom became the top soldier.

Hypron

Alright. i see that. But all those traits are established but how does his character develop during tpp? The only time you see some type of change is with Paz, and that whole bit was truly a good piece of work. It was smart, it made sense by the time it wrapped up and it told something about the Medic. Not in direct relation to the player.

So which one is it? you really can't have it both. VS is either the medic or the player. Trying to have them both just creates inconsistencies.

Anyways... the game is static. Nothing really develops over time, and characters don't transcend or fall, and the ones that are hinted that do is outside of the game.

Huey is an asshole. Stays an asshole.
Kaz is upset... he stays upset.
Ocellot is just... there.
Zero, at least with him you get some insight on his motives.
Skullface... flat character that is just mad?
Eli... just a brat. Doesn't even expand on why it is that he hates BB.
Paz... pretty cool arch that develops.
Quiet.... interesting character that does show some development.
DD... at least grows up to be a dog.
Codetalker.... flat character that likes hamburgers and parasites.

hmmm.... i forget who else. lol.

D-Dog confirmed to have the most character development in MGSV.

Johndoey

Banned

That's a valid opinion, man...
His villainy really isn't ambiguous, the only thing he didn't do was laugh maniacally at the camera.

JayEH

Biggest tragedy of this game is that we never learn what happens to DD. Does he survive Outer heaven? Is he even the real DD? He grew up pretty fast. Maybe the real DD was hiding while Venom DD took the heat off him.

Blader

Also, having just done 46 for myself the other day, I think it's safe to say Portable Ops is definitely out of the canon. Not a single mention in the timeline -- nothing about Gene and Army's Heaven, Campbell and FOXHOUND, not even a basic "San Hieronymo Incident happens."

Top Bottom