• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

brau

Biggest tragedy of this game is that we never learn what happens to DD. Does he survive Outer heaven? Is he even the real DD? He grew up pretty fast. Maybe the real DD was hiding while Venom DD took the heat off him.

what are you doing to me.... lol...

also.. we never know what happens to Diamon Dogs, right? that a plot hole?

She sacrificed her treats and her walk for her native pound. She was a real canine. She was a true dog.

i am ok with this as long as you include parasites somewhere in there.

SomTervo

Alright. i see that. But all those traits are established but how does his character develop during tpp? The only time you see some type of change is with Paz, and that whole bit was truly a good piece of work. It was smart, it made sense by the time it wrapped up and it told something about the Medic. Not in direct relation to the player.

So which one is it? you really can't have it both. VS is either the medic or the player. Trying to have them both just creates inconsistencies.

Anyways... the game is static. Nothing really develops over time, and characters don't transcend or fall, and the ones that are hinted that do is outside of the game.

Huey is an asshole. Stays an asshole.
Kaz is upset... he stays upset.
Ocellot is just... there.
Zero, at least with him you get some insight on his motives.
Skullface... flat character that is just mad?
Eli... just a brat. Doesn't even expand on why it is that he hates BB.
Paz... pretty cool arch that develops.
Quiet.... interesting character that does show some development.
DD... at least grows up to be a dog.
Codetalker.... flat character that likes hamburgers and parasites.

hmmm.... i forget who else. lol.

Sorry.. but i don't get this attitude.

This forum is a place to discuss ideas and the game in general. So how is that bad? I respect you guys opinion and i have turned around to see many things maybe i was not aware of and learned to recognize that. Interpretation, specially in a game like this, is heavy, and its interesting to discuss it.

Dunno whats with this "eh forget it" comment.

You know I can't disagree with you. It's a flawed game with a flawed narrative. I'd argue that characters don't need to develop to be valid (see Joel in TLoU) but MGSV does a bad job even of not-developing its characters in most cases. (Edit: lol sorry wrote 'agree' above by accident there :p fixed)

Did you watch Episode 51? Such a missed opportunity. Eli gets so much character development in <5 minutes.

I personally disagree re the medic thing specifically though - medic is wiped from existence after Ground Zeroes, basically. The whole set up for MGSV is that he's been erased. So we have this pseudo-Big Boss who doesn't know what to believe - which is the perfect character for the player to become. Basically I don't think of him as 'Medic', because the Medic is gone and gone. Wiped away like... Idk, Chico. We're playing Venom Snake.

Thinly veiled?

Is your criteria for a shit post one you disagree with?

It's the lack of content in your posts. I've agreed with several of your posts which were a bit more substantial, but more often than not they're just some some one-dimensional retort, apparently at people you disagree with. Like what you just posted at me.

Reebot

Biggest tragedy of this game is that we never learn what happens to DD. Does he survive Outer heaven? Is he even the real DD? He grew up pretty fast. Maybe the real DD was hiding while Venom DD took the heat off him.

1995: Solid Lassie infiltrates Outer Junkyard in a mission commanded by DD and eliminates his phantom pooch.

You mean the Big Boss that went out of his way to rescue the resistance members that opposed the original Outer Heaven after it was bombed back to the stone age? Yeah, well, excuse me if I haven't made my mind up on that count.

Im talking about the self admitted bloodthirsty warlord who wants to create a world of nonstop war because its all he knows how to do. The guy who held the world's oil supply hostage causing a worldwide crisis, the guy who attacks all his neighboring nations and the guy who saves children only to feed them back into his war machine.

Hell you know what he did with some of those resistance members he saved? Fed them back into his army to make war. He feeds the cult of personality around him, the children you speak to saw him as a hero, yet the truth is he just wanted more soldiers in the world.

brau

You know I can't disagree with you. It's a flawed game with a flawed narrative. I'd argue that characters don't need to develop to be valid (see Joel in TLoU) but MGSV does a bad job even of not-developing its characters in most cases. (Edit: lol sorry wrote 'agree' above by accident there :p fixed)

Did you watch Episode 51? Such a missed opportunity. Eli gets so much character development in <5 minutes.

I personally disagree re the medic thing specifically though - medic is wiped from existence after Ground Zeroes, basically. The whole set up for MGSV is that he's been erased. So we have this pseudo-Big Boss who doesn't know what to believe - which is the perfect character for the player to become. Basically I don't think of him as 'Medic', because the Medic is gone and gone. Wiped away like... Idk, Chico. We're playing Venom Snake.

Yes. i did watch Episode 51. A big reason why i don't get people giving this game a close to perfect score in the first place. Its incomplete. The arch of a big theme and occurrence in MGS story is incomplete. Even if its one mission.

Gameplay wise i understand the praise it gets, and it deserves it. But people need to point out the BS from what is good in the game. It also makes for interesting discussions here.

The whole medic being wiped out is interesting. I never thought of it in that way. In my mind he is the medic through and through. But i'll have to look at it in that light.

Edit: Joel works tho because he does change. We see him before and after. He was loving, went through an implied hell. Lived in both sides of the coin in an unforgiving world. Ends up protecting what he grows to love. Lots of subtle and powerful emotions in there.

Edzi

Also, having just done 46 for myself the other day, I think it's safe to say Portable Ops is definitely out of the canon. Not a single mention in the timeline -- nothing about Gene and Army's Heaven, Campbell and FOXHOUND, not even a basic "San Hieronymo Incident happens."

It's a shame, since PO was the only post MGS3 Big Boss story that still felt like it fit after MGS3's ending.

JayEH

Portable Ops also sets up Zero founding the Patriots plot line which seemingly came out of nowhere in 4 if you just went from 3 to 4 like most people.

Reebot

It's the lack of content in your posts. I've agreed with several of your posts which were a bit more substantial, but more often than not they're just some some one-dimensional retort, apparently at people you disagree with. Like what you just posted at me.

That wasn't the first time you've implied we should forgive a failing as typical Kojima.

Roni

Gold Member
Im talking about the self admitted bloodthirsty warlord who wants to create a world of nonstop war because its all he knows how to do. The guy who held the world's oil supply hostage causing a worldwide crisis, the guy who attacks all his neighboring nations and the guy who saves children only to feed them back into his war machine.

Hell you know what he did with some of those resistance members he saved? Fed them back into his army to make war. He feeds the cult of personality around him, the children you speak to saw him as a hero, yet the truth is he just wanted more soldiers in the world.

Of course he wanted more soldiers in the world, that's his life. Who wants to be the one closing up the place for a species that's on the verge of extinction. He might be a warmonger, but at least he gave each of those kids a home, a family and a purpose. That's a lot more than orphans usually get.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just finished the game, kinda dissapointed at the ending. I was expecting an Mgs 3 finale instead it ended with a wimper. Not only that you're playing the game as an OBGYN who thinks he's the boss. This is Kojimas last mg game and no trace of Solid in Metal Gear Solid 5.

Some question...so which boss sent solid snake in metal gear? I know Venom got killed but who actually sent solid? Also how does Big Boss become head of fox hound again? Where was solidus during this time again?

Of course he wanted more soldiers in the world, that's his life. Who wants to be the one closing up the place for a species that's on the verge of extinction. He might be a warmonger, but at least he gave each of those kids a home, a family and a purpose. That's a lot more than orphans usually get.

uh yeah that's his life, that's not an excuse. He wants to be the one starting the wars in the first place, there would be no damn orphans to save if not for him.

MG2 Big Boss is a piece of shit who can't accept that the world is moving on without him.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Portable Ops also sets up Zero founding the Patriots plot line which seemingly came out of nowhere in 4 if you just went from 3 to 4 like most people.

That's me! I kept thinking wtf??? That nice general from Mgs 3 is the root of the evil post Mgs??

uh yeah that's his life, that's not an excuse. He wants to be the one starting the wars in the first place, there would be no damn orphans to save if not for him.

MG2 Big Boss is a piece of shit who can't accept that the world is moving on without him.
and that big boss has basically been retconned into oblivion anyway. It's nearly impossible to reconcile the prequels OR the big boss we got in 4 with what is in the original games. I swear if the msx ever get remade 'evil' big boss will be put to rest for good.

Just finished the game, kinda dissapointed at the ending. I was expecting an Mgs 3 finale instead it ended with a wimper. Not only that you're playing the game as an OBGYN who thinks he's the boss. This is Kojimas last mg game and no trace of Solid in Metal Gear Solid 5.

Some question...so which boss sent solid snake in metal gear? I know Venom got killed but who actually sent solid? Also how does Big Boss become head of fox hound again? Where was solidus during this time again?

Solidus? What's a Solidus? Never heard of it.

We don't know which one sent Solid or which one was talking to him on the radio.

Roni

Gold Member

Of course he's a piece of shit, that doesn't mean he's not doing it for noble reasons. Keeping the flames of war alive is one way to keep the world from falling prey to the Patriots. You may disagree with it, but that's his dream. A world of soldiers who are able to fight for their freedom.

He's just approaching it one war at a time. Every man has his limits.

JayEH

1. Real Big Boss sent him most likely.
2. Ehh not really clear but I guess he was just able to convince the Patriots that he was done roaming the world.
3. Whoooooooo?
Kojima hates Solidus

Yeah, but it's not concerned with filling in all the blanks like some people are suggesting MGSV was obligated to do.

The only mistake some people made is that they took every trailer at face value when we all know Kojima loves fucking around with people's expectations. Over the years people's imagination of how the story is going to be like probably became bigger than the game itself despite us knowing before hand that Sutherland won't talk much and the game being more gameplay than cutscene with the addition of tapes in the same vein of PW.

In the end people got a story that tied into MG1 in a way that they didn't want to. As for me I liked it. An interesting and engaging story overall compared to shit tons of games that ends in the most MGS way. "Yes, I just made an 80 million dollar game that ends with telling the player they're playing fuck you, you're not BB. BB fucked everyone over, including the player.". That's fucking crazy but it's the type of crazy I doubt we'll see again. I have this feeling that Kojima intended to remake MG1 and MG2 after MGSV but with how his relationship with Konami went to shit, that plan went away as well. The collector's edition guide make it seem that Kojima really wants to remake those games with his note concerning how dated MG1 & MG2 are, I don't have the guide book with me at the moment but I am sure someone could write what's written exactly.

MisterMac

That explanation for Quiet would have been there from conception. Kojima has always had an erotic character or two in literally every MGS game, it's just a thing he does, I generally can't stand fan service in most forms of entertainment but sometimes it's somehow presented in just the right way or context for me to not really feel strongly about it one way or the other, probably because he is willing to do dumb shit to a character regardless of their gender.

MGS1 - Sniper Wolf (More so in concept art)
MGS2 - Raiden
MGS3 - Eva, The Boss (Mainly her concept art), Raikov
MGS4 - Akiba, Liquid Ocelot
PW - Miller & Big Boss, Paz & Strangelove

So you know, it's nothing really new or mind blowing, I do like Quiet however in general, I put her in the XOF outfit (I wish I could use the Sniper Wolf outfit without making her hair blonde).

I like Quiet too and I just left her in her default outfit. Her bikini isn't even close to the dumbest thing about this game or this series and there's nothing you can do about the stuff that actually bothered me like the camera zooming in on her tits so I said fuck it.

ElFly

Wait how is Liquid Ocelot more erotic a character than, you know, the bosses that literally strip their armor and pose for you to photograph.

When did this become the party line? I've seen it a few times. Completely misses the point.

From what I am gathering people were expecting classic character appearances and a possible SS voiced by Hayter appearance at the end apart from the supposed downfall of BB which when I think about it how was it even going to be a downfall when he returns back to the US government later as the head of foxhound. The game is clearly leading up to a remake of MG1 and MG2 especially if anyone reads the guide that Kojima had a big hand in making apparently.

Edit: I can't stress it enough but many people analyzed every frame of every trailer one million times, it's easy to be disappointed when you build a story in your mind then in the end get mind fucked by what you got lol.

Of course he's a piece of shit, that doesn't mean he's not doing it for noble reasons. Keeping the flames of war alive is one way to keep the world from falling prey to the Patriots. You may disagree with it, but that's his dream. A world of soldiers who are able to fight for their freedom.

He's just approaching it one war at a time. Every man has his limits.

What does his inner reasons have to do with the end result of his actions? Falling prey to the Patriots...the AIs thought they were just helping guide humanity down the right path, they had "noble reasons", it doesn't change the reality that they were monsters who had to be stopped.

Big Boss is the same, he can justify it to himself all he wants, he's no better than the AIs, his ideal world is no better than the war economy of the Patriots. Deep down he didn't care about saving people from the Patriots; he wanted to always feel alive and have an enemy to fight, he couldn't put down his gun.

Roni

Gold Member
I will, but it won't be the point you want.

Wouldn't be in this thread if I couldn't handle that now, would I?
What does his inner reasons have to do with the end result of his actions? Falling prey to the Patriots...the AIs thought they were just helping guide humanity down the right path, they had "noble reasons", it doesn't change the reality that they were monsters who had to be stopped.

Big Boss is the same, he can justify it to himself all he wants, he's no better than the AIs, his ideal world is no better than the war economy of the Patriots. Deep down he didn't care about saving people from the Patriots; he wanted to always feel alive and have an enemy to fight, he couldn't put down his gun.

You're absolutely right, can I just say how cool it is to see you expressing yourself as though he was a real person? Such passion and contempt in your posts.

Dinokill

Just beat mission 46.

I lost count how many times "Created by Hideo Kojima" appeared on the screen. More than 50 I would say.

What an egomaniac!

MiguelItUp

In the end people got a story that tied into MG1 in a way that they didn't want to. As for me I liked it.

I agree with everything you said. I loved it quite a bit, it was a great experience IMO. I love how MGS fans either loved it or hated it, there's no real middle road. There's still so much hostility in this thread, lol.

Reebot

From what I am gathering people were expecting classic character appearances and a possible SS voiced by Hayter appearance at the end apart from the supposed downfall of BB which when I think about it how was it even going to be a downfall when he returns back to the US government later as the head of foxhound. The game is clearly leading up to a remake of MG1 and MG2 especially if anyone reads the guide that Kojima had a big hand in making apparently.

Edit: I can't stress it enough but many people analyzed every frame of every trailer one million times, it's easy to be disappointed when you build a story in your mind then in the end get mind fucked by what you got lol.

People's expectations are secondary to the quality of the story.

It's not that it's different, it's that it's bad.

Wouldn't be in this thread if I couldn't handle that now, would I?

You're absolutely right, can I just say how cool it is to see you expressing yourself as though he was a real person? Such passion and contempt in your posts.
Hah, thanks, didn't know I was coming across like that, I just really like to get into the head of characters.

Neiteio

Sorry you feel that way. For me it gets better the more I think about it. I liked it from the start but it's only gotten better the more we've discussed it.

Is this the most divisive an MGS game has even been with the fans? Feels like it.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Sorry you feel that way. For me it gets better the more I think about it. I liked it from the start but it's only gotten better the more we've discussed it.

Is this the most divisive an MGS game has even been with the fans? Feels like it.
That's because it's still fresh. Mgs2, 3, and 4 were divisive as well (some still are to this day)

MGS2/4, for whatever its detractors were, still felt like MGS games with MGS narratives/storytelling.

This shit felt like Splinter Cell with a boring cutscene containing some characters you dont care about once a hour.

I don't share your opinion because I was engaged and interested all the way through. I enjoyed the themes presented within the game even though the execution was not all there, I liked the twist in the sense of I knew what Kojima was going for but ultimately for me I played this game hoping it to be a better playing PW because the series for me already ended with 4 and I said my goodbyes with it.

This is a prequel game, no matter what happens in it to me the paths leading to the other games are already set to stone. The direction in which the story is going to be heading can't be changed because that's the nature of a prequel game yet I was still surprised in the end. You should play more games if the story to you in MGS5 is plain bad. What you should have said is that the story was not satisfying to you which is a valid complaint, to me it was though but then again I wasn't expecting much to be honest.

sexyelder

I've spent weeks in the neverbegameover thread on reddit. "Men become demons" But seriously it's not over yet... Kojima said over a year ago the game was finished, there's no reason to believe they ran out of time. VELIEVE

Neiteio

I don't share your opinion because I was engaged and interested all the way through. I enjoyed the themes presented within the game even though the execution was not all there, I liked the twist in the sense of I knew what Kojima was going for but ultimately for me I played this game hoping it to be a better playing PW because the series for me already ended with 4 and I said my goodbyes with it.

This is a prequel game, no matter what happens in it to me the paths leading to the other games are already set to stone. The direction in which the story is going to be heading can't be changed because that's the nature of a prequel game yet I was still surprised in the end. You should play more games if the story to you in MGS5 is plain bad. What you should have said is that the story was not satisfying to you which is a valid complaint, to me it was though but then again I wasn't expecting much to be honest.
I'm with you, man. I'm just bummed this is the first and last time we get to see Venom.

I want a retcon where Quiet comes back and becomes Venom's waifu.

They can escape the exploding Outer Heaven on the RE4 jet ski.

Top Bottom