• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V SPOILER THREAD| [EXTR3ME] Such a lust for conclusion, T-WHHOOOO

SJRB

Gold Member
Guest starring Pequod.

Together they'll torture Huey until he's only barely able to fulfil his canon obligations; with the help of the Strangelove AI.

Pequod is a traiterous fuck. Remember he piloted Skull Face's chopper.

Well, that passport is useless if he doesn't.

He can just equip enother magical facemask if he plans on traveling abroad via a commercial airline.

Neiteio

Well, that passport is useless if he doesn't.
Maybe he just likes collecting passports.

*Big Boss pulls into the garage and gets off his motorcycle*

*He turns on the lights inside his house*

*Inside are thousands of passports*

*Big Boss smiles*

SJRB

Gold Member
Maybe he just likes collecting passports.

*Big Boss pulls into the garage and gets off his motorcycle*

*He turns on the lights inside his house*

*Inside are thousands of passports*

*Big Boss smiles*

He likes to collect passports of those who's lives he has ruined.

Neiteio

So does that concept art on the last page mean they were thinking about making Paz a kinky sniper like Quiet?

*feels split between the Ghost of Paz timeline or the Sexy Sniper Paz timeline*

Pequod is probably the helicopter callsign, and the pilot is a rotating crew of identical sounding men.
LOL!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just realized that one of the TPP trailers actually had the BB on motorcycle scene, but I'm pretty sure they purposely add the horn and the robot hand to throw people off the scent. Anyone had the trailer to confirm?

AniHawk

I just realized that one of the TPP trailers actually had the BB on motorcycle scene, but I'm pretty sure they purposely add the horn and the robot hand to throw people off the scent. Anyone had the trailer to confirm?

yeah gdc 2013 trailer had that

Golnei

Pequod is probably the helicopter callsign, and the pilot is a rotating crew of identical sounding men.

It's most likely either the helicopter callsign or the callsign for any helicopter carrying Venom; but it's instinctive to just call the pilot by that name, due to there only being one set of voice clips and a single model for him - for all intents and purposes, there is only one pilot, with an easily-inferred name. It'd have been interesting if you could assign your Mother Base soldiers (eligibility determined by the presence of a random skill) to serve as backup pilots...

foxtrot3d

Banned
I'm just teasing. No disrespect intended.

Good to know, but I am really kinda done debating it. Yes, to me the story of MGSV was a supreme disappointment with a nonsensical twist that ruins what is some of the best gameplay in a game in years. But, my "phantom pain" has passed and I'm just looking forward to the games coming up for the holiday season. Thankfully, since MGSV is just a prequel it's not like it ruined Metal Gear forever as say Mass Effect 3's ending did. It's just an unimportant game, in terms of plot, which it seems Kojima doesn't care whether you accept anything that happened as true.

Oh well, I just hope Kojima is finally happy to be moving on from Metal Gear and hopefully gets to work on an original project soon.

You just made me read about Moby Dick. This game is practically Moby Dick. All the main characters are there.

I think it's fair to assume the story is narrated by Big Boss/Ishmael himself, which is why Ahab barely talks in it.

Capt. Ahab died because of his own arrogance. A little backstory about Moby Dick from Wikipedia :

- Ahab is the tyrannical captain of the Pequod who is driven by a monomaniacal desire to kill Moby Dick, the whale that had maimed him off the coast of Japan during a previous whaling voyage. Ahab ultimately dooms the crew of the Pequod (save for Ishmael) to death by his obsession with Moby Dick.

- Ishmael, the only surviving crewmember of the Pequod, is the narrator of the book. As a character he is a few years younger than as a narrator. His importance relies on his role as narrator; as a character, he is only a minor participant in the action. The name has come to symbolize orphans, exiles, and social outcasts.

I didn't know the line "Call me Ishmael" is from Moby Dick.

Hypron

Pequod actually never dies. He's got his own wormhole ejection system for emergency situations.

I pulled that out of my ass but I'll stick with it.

Neiteio

... Maybe.

(.)(.)

lsivzPZ.jpg

Yeah, a still from the trailer was even used as evidence that we were playing as a decoy (octopus) at one point

Though, all things considered with the rumors of him being a Snatcher/appearing gloved during the Guns of Patriots epilogue Big Boss could have concievibly had a robotic arm the entire time.

I revisited MG2SS and aside from that fucking follow the green beret section it's still a blast, I also really love the reverence the characters, no matter how flat they were back then, still have for Big Boss. Especially someone like Schneider, who was part of the Outer Heaven resistance, got blown the fuck up because of Snake, and saved by Big Boss.

But man, fuck the follow the green beret section.

Xiraiya

Wait, so does this mean there were originally going to be two snipers, and one of them was going to be Paz?

Paz & Quiet... Peace and Quiet... Oh man, it's terrible but I love it.
No that was from early Peace Walker concept art, not MGSV. I think it's just an outfit, but it might be that there is something to this as Paz's story is very similar to Quiet's, agent of Cipher sent to kill you by integrating into your army as an ally and then betraying you but ultimately sort of joining your cause instead.
The name thing is certainly interesting and I feel like it's probably intentional, especially since Butterflies were a big theme in PW with The Boss and so on, and the Butterfly Emblem being a Quiet thing that makes her stay with you is interesting.

Though, all things considered with the rumors of him being a Snatcher/appearing gloved during the Guns of Patriots epilogue Big Boss could have concievibly had a robotic arm the entire time.

I revisited MG2SS and aside from that fucking follow the green beret section it's still a blast, I also really love the reverence the characters, no matter how flat they were back then, still have for Big Boss. Especially someone like Schneider, who was part of the Outer Heaven resistance, got blown the fuck up because of Snake, and saved by Big Boss.

No one seemed to point out that the Real Big Boss has white shrapnel while Venom has the actual black shrapnel... actually alot of things about the promotional art is terribly confusing even hindsight as it's weird even as a bate/switch.
Also Decoy Octopus not being involved in MGSV feels like a huge missed opportunity.

No that was from early Peace Walker concept art, not MGSV. I think it's just an outfit, but it might be that there is something to this as Paz's story is very similar to Quiet's, agent of Cipher sent to kill you by integrating into your army as an ally and then betraying you but ultimately sort of joining your cause instead.

The name thing is certainly interesting and I feel like it's probably intentional, especially since Butterflies were a big theme in PW with The Boss and so on, and the Butterfly Emblem being a Quiet thing that makes her stay with you is interesting.

Morpho is a butterfly. :3

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You just made me read about Moby Dick. This game is practically Moby Dick. All the main characters are there.

I think it's fair to assume the story is narrated by Big Boss/Ishmael himself, which is why Ahab barely talks in it.

Capt. Ahab died because of his own arrogance. A little backstory about Moby Dick from Wikipedia :

- Ahab is the tyrannical captain of the Pequod who is driven by a monomaniacal desire to kill Moby Dick, the whale that had maimed him off the coast of Japan during a previous whaling voyage. Ahab ultimately dooms the crew of the Pequod (save for Ishmael) to death by his obsession with Moby Dick.

- Ishmael, the only surviving crewmember of the Pequod, is the narrator of the book. As a character he is a few years younger than as a narrator. His importance relies on his role as narrator; as a character, he is only a minor participant in the action. The name has come to symbolize orphans, exiles, and social outcasts.

I didn't know the line "Call me Ishmael" is from Moby Dick.

Reminds me of my first ever post on GAF.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Well excussseeee meee princess!

Actually I've never read Moby Dick... :(

I don't think most people that know that phrase have either, tbh. It's just been referenced in pop culture so many times by tons of shows.

Not a knock against you. Just surprising.

Forkball

I'm trying to think of any cutscene that wasn't in the trailers. The only one that comes to mind is the one where Quiet frolics in the rain.

Golnei

Also Decoy Octopus not being involved in MGSV feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Him actually being Venom wouldn't have served much of a point, but it did feel like it wasted a good opportunity to tie the Venom plot closer to the existing universe by not at least mentioning him and his methods.

I'm trying to think of any cutscene that wasn't in the trailers. The only one that comes to mind is the one where Quiet frolics in the rain.

I think Quiet's shower scene, the rain scene, most of the shots of Quiet in the prisoner outfit were left out of the trailers (as well as everything in Mission 51, for obvious reasons). We also never found out what they were 3D scanning and mocapping this for...

I think Quiet's shower scene, the rain scene, most of the shots of Quiet in the prisoner outfit were left out of the trailers (as well as everything in Mission 51, for obvious reasons). We also never found out what they were 3D scanning and mocapping this for...

Quiet being led to the water trough in a prisoner uniform was in one of the earliest trailers, and I'm pretty sure part of her rampage afterwards was also in one.

SiteSeer

Him actually being Venom wouldn't have served much of a point, but it did feel like it wasted a good opportunity to tie the Venom plot closer to the existing universe by not at least mentioning him and his methods.

that was for kojima's, ahem, personal collection.
lol

Nothus

Man every time I see a picture of Stefanie Joosten I fall a little bit more in love with her. Did you know that she's currently doing her own LP of MGSV through her youtube channel? Something about her being fluent in Japanese as well, it's just the cutest thing ever.

Yeah, a still from the trailer was even used as evidence that we were playing as a decoy (octopus) at one point

Even though I liked the ending, it would have been cool if Venom turned out to be Decoy Octopus.

CassSept

To be fair, I wouldn't have known "Call me Ishmael" if it weren't for the Internet, Moby Dick is not a required reading in my country.

That's so frustrating, but I think you're right.

Solidino

This is creating a problem in my mind, I mean we saw the Medic's face in GZ, he wasn't that old. If you look at the face under Ishmael's bandages, it's literally GZ Medic's face. (Which I assume is suppose to be a mask hiding Big Boss's beard and hair like the one Kojima wore)

So that's Ishmael/GZ Medic's face with someone pointing out similarities to Big Boss which no longer matter.

But in TPP, suddenly the Medic never had a face and the face you create for him is "How you have lived until today" apparently, right before his face is reconstructed into Big Boss's.
So unless you decide to create an older looking Venom, him actually being older than Big Boss is nonsense, Big Boss also having your face from GZ is also nonsense, but who even knows.
Kojima is a man obsessed with detail, he always has been, he can make mistakes but his obsession with little details has always been unbelievable, so I'm now only getting more confused.

The medic was Solidus.
no wait, was Chico.

Neiteio

i like venom in that scene. he's kinda looking at the soviets like 'and what did we learn?'
Venom seemed like he was watching a goddamn force of nature and didn't know what to do about it, lol.

The Soviets were going to shoot if they just stood there, so might as well let Quiet go apeshit, I suppose.

I've really come to like all of the cutscenes in M45 (now that I'm desensitized to the violence).

AniHawk

Venom seemed like he was watching a goddamn force of nature and didn't know what to do about it, lol.

The Soviets were going to shoot if they just stood there, so might as well let Quiet go apeshit, I suppose.

I've really come to like all of the cutscenes in M45 (now that I'm desensitized to the violence).

m45's quiet murdering spree was a spectacle for me. she was going twin snakes levels of bonkers. i loved it.

Did anyone else think vocal cord parasites were real with the way Code Talker was going in depth about their origin in the tapes.

That's why I liked it. Like they gave it this insane, not needed detail that made it seem plausible and Codetalker's VA is damn good at making it sound convincing even though he can put people to sleep. It felt like I was in a biology class.

Top Bottom