• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

Pilgrimzero

I've gotten to the part where new missions are old missions but harder in some way (stealth only! etc)

Do I HAVE to do those to advance the plot or can I just do the actual new ones?

Thanks!

BTW so obvious in the second chapter that Konami told Kojima to "wrap it up".

I've gotten to the part where new missions are old missions but harder in some way (stealth only! etc)

Do I HAVE to do those to advance the plot or can I just do the actual new ones?

Thanks!

BTW so obvious in the second chapter that Konami told Kojima to "wrap it up".

Do the actual new missions, side-ops, and listen to all the yellow tapes (starting and stopping them immediately counts).

Coreda

Can anyone ID this barrel/suppressor? Stumbled across it on during a search.

Mike said:
Here's my new standard sniper rifle, just unlocked & modified: MRS-73 NL .308 semi-auto suppressed tranquilizer sniper rifle. I went with the shortened barrel with integral suppressor, flashlight, laser, and 2x-8x variable range finding glass.

This thing is just as accurate as the bolt action tranquilizer rifle it replaced, and those 20 rounds per magazine sure are nice!

IeL1mn4.jpg

Neither of the short 'S-Barrel's I've developed match the design.

BadWolf

Finished going through Metal Gear 1 and 2 on youtube and it's pretty amazing how much of the core gameplay was already in place even then. Everything from the basic sneaking and enemy behavior, to card board box use and even post credits conversation and 4th wall stuff.

Also the speech BB gives Snake:

"The nightmares? They never go away, Snake. Once you've been on the battlefield, tasted the exhilaration, the tension... it all becomes part of you. Once you've awakened the warrior within, it never sleeps again. You crave even bigger tension, ever bigger thrills. You care nothing for power, or money, or even sex. The only thing that satisfies your cravings... is war!"

Combine that with Peace Walker's speech to MSF...

We will forsake our countries. We will leave our motherlands behind us and become one with this earth. We have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology. We go where we're needed, fighting, not for government, but for ourselves. We need no reason to fight. We fight because we are needed. We will be the deterrent for those with no other recourse. We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the era we live in. We will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the times demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists. And yes, we may all be headed straight to hell. But what better place for us than this? It's our only home. Our heaven and our hell. This is Outer Heaven."

... and yeah, he lived for war.
Kids were tools for him to use in war as soldiers, to further the cycle of war. Still surprised some people expected him to go around killing kids in MGSV.

myco666

Platinum get. Was surprised that disposing your nuke removes your Demon status immediately considering how many people complain about it.

Philippo

Just finished Chapter 1, how long will it take me to finish 2? Best way to rush through it (i need to clear this before Fallout 4 and have very limited game time)?

BadWolf

Platinum get. Was surprised that disposing your nuke removes your Demon status immediately considering how many people complain about it.

Congrats :)

Just finished Chapter 1, how long will it take me to finish 2? Best way to rush through it (i need to clear this before Fallout 4 and have very limited game time)?

Listen to yellow tapes and do yellow story missions and yellow side ops. If no new story missions are available then doing some regular side ops will fix that.

You can completely ignore the harder versions of previous missions (Extreme, Total Stealth etc.), they are there just for fun and not needed to progress the story.

SJRB

Gold Member

It requires some grinding for sure, you cannot speedrun through it.

Here's why:

Chapter 2 does not have many main missions, but they unlock one at a time and you need to do three side ops to unlock one main mission.

Be sure to keep doing yellow-marked stuff, including listening to tapes.

myco666

What?

Boy am I glad to know this!

Building nuke gives you 50k Demon points while disposing nuke removes 30k Demon points. You will have longer horn than what the base level is but you won't have the blood on you. Was really happy to find that out since bloody snake doesn't look that great.

Gui_PT

Building nuke gives you 50k Demon points while disposing nuke removes 30k Demon points. You will have longer horn than what the base level is but you won't have the blood on you. Was really happy to find that out since bloody snake doesn't look that great.

Sweeeeeet. Thanks!

Are you offline? Has anyone invaded you? If neither then you lost your GMP for no reason. Happened to me once.

My PS4 was in standby mode, didn't log off in the game. But there was no mention of any invasion, don't think I even have the FOB yet.

So yeah, might have been for no reason. Luckily I had a big surplus of vehicles that I could sell off. Not cool though.

Well this is going to be a grind =\

Thanks for the link!

where the fuck have you been for so many years? seeing you feels like seeing Big Boss come back in MGS4 lol
Invade low level guys with only 1 Base Development platform. Tons of materials, not many guards. Can be done easily without any alerts which means lots of points and no chance of a retaliation.

You'll rank up quickly which will give you access to better opponents if that's your main goal.

oh shit. I accidentally developed a base development platform as one of the only 2 platforms on my first FOB (so i could have more base development staff and develop faster) so now how do I get rid of it? can i?

My PS4 was in standby mode, didn't log off in the game. But there was no mention of any invasion, don't think I even have the FOB yet.

So yeah, might have been for no reason. Luckily I had a big surplus of vehicles that I could sell off. Not cool though.

If your PS4 was in standby, then it disconnected from the servers, even though the game was still on. Just pause and reconnect online and your resources/GMP should return. If it doesn't then something wrong definitely happened.

hmmm what else can be sold without any worries, like surplus vehicles, and whats the purpose of having surplus vehicles?

Gui_PT

where the fuck have you been for so many years? seeing you feels like seeing Big Boss come back in MGS4 lol

oh shit. I accidentally developed a base development platform as one of the only 2 platforms on my first FOB (so i could have more base development staff and develop faster) so now how do I get rid of it? can i?

Life's been kicking me in the face, man

I'm not sure if you can, never tried it

It is worth replaying Ground Zeroes because its awesome. Im pretty sure that save transfer would not work.

Anyway, if Im not wrong its just a few outfits and soldiers/Kojima.

I got Kojima without Ground Zeroes. *shrug*

Can anyone ID this barrel/suppressor? Stumbled across it on during a search.

Neither of the short 'S-Barrel's I've developed match the design.
It's already been answered but that's the rifle I use for the same purpose so I can carry my tranc sniper rifle. I probably should go through and check to see if any of the other parts that I've unlocked since I customized it improve it any.

My PS4 won't connect to my network tonight for some reason. Had a brief thought that I might get screwed by that new online thing, but thought surely not, I'm still pretty early in the game (only just got to Africa). Turned to game on to see my funds drop from 600k GMP to -500k GMP. How in the actual fuck does that even make sense?? I can't get out of that hole (two of my materials are even in the negative?) and don't want my staff to start leaving, so it doesn't look like I get to play any more Metal Gear until I sort this out.

Of course this is old news at this point, but what an absolutely stupid fucking system.

I got Kojima without Ground Zeroes. *shrug*

It's already been answered but that's the rifle I use for the same purpose so I can carry my tranc sniper rifle. I probably should go through and check to see if any of the other parts that I've unlocked since I customized it improve it any.
yeah I use a similar one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuNE6-bCByA

that NL tranq MRS sniper rifle but with the 67U ultra short barrel mod and a holo reflex sight

works pretty darn good and it helps me avoid becoming a demon too often haha ;p i sit pretty close to final change threshold so i need to have a sort of fulton quota for each sortie otherwise i'll turn bloody again ;(

Kuldar

Got my platinium yesterday (but with 99% completion, it's weird, maybe because I haven't finished the cyborg ninja suit). It was really great, otherwhise I would not have played for more than 300h.

Would have been my GOTY if there wasn't all the FOB shenanigans (forced to people, insurance) and the fact that the game seems incomplete. I wished it was a way to be meta about the title of the game but I think it's just the consequence of Kojima and Konami bad decisions.

If your PS4 was in standby, then it disconnected from the servers, even though the game was still on. Just pause and reconnect online and your resources/GMP should return. If it doesn't then something wrong definitely happened.

Ah, I'll try that, thanks.

hmmm what else can be sold without any worries, like surplus vehicles, and whats the purpose of having surplus vehicles?

Well, if you're not into the FOB thing, the weapon emplacements I think and the diamonds (bottom one in the resource lists). Problem is, I heard that there was going to be a penalty for not participating in the FOB portion of the game (and you can use the weapon emplacements in your FOB, right?). Haven't really paid much attention though.

funkypie

Banned
so my copy of the game arrived and it is fucking ground zeroes. I bought it using the ebay 20% off the other day on the UK store.

The game was £32 reduced to 26 with the 20% must explain why I thought it was the phantom fucking pain.

feel like a fucking idiot ahah

Ashura_MX

so my copy of the game arrived and it is fucking ground zeroes. I bought it using the ebay 20% off the other day on the UK store.

The game was £32 reduced to 26 with the 20% must explain why I thought it was the phantom fucking pain.

feel like a fucking idiot ahah
GZ was free everywhere for a while too.

myco666

Well, if you're not into the FOB thing, the weapon emplacements I think and the diamonds (bottom one in the resource lists). Problem is, I heard that there was going to be a penalty for not participating in the FOB portion of the game (and you can use the weapon emplacements in your FOB, right?). Haven't really paid much attention though.

There isn't a penalty for not participating in FOB. The 'penalty' is for not going online as if you have logged to servers your resources are put online. This means if you are offline you will not have access to all of your resources and it seems to be around 75% which gets put online.

Gui_PT

If you guys need good soldiers, heroism points, espionage points.. just do the FOB event that's going on

You get A+, A++, S rank soldiers every time you complete an invasion
You'll get about 900 or 1k heroism points and the same amount of espionage points

Just take out every soldier, question them twice each, fulton them.
When the whole base is empty just destroy everything.. Cameras, mines, infrared sensors, weapon placements...

You have to go really fast or you'll run out of time but it's a great way to get soldiers and rank up your espionage

If you guys need good soldiers, heroism points, espionage points.. just do the FOB event that's going on

You get A+, A++, S rank soldiers every time you complete an invasion
You'll get about 900 or 1k heroism points and the same amount of espionage points

Just take out every soldier, question them twice each, fulton them.
When the whole base is empty just destroy everything.. Cameras, mines, infrared sensors, weapon placements...

You have to go really fast or you'll run out of time but it's a great way to get soldiers and rank up your espionage
FOB event? do you mean just player base invasions? I've been getting good at just getting to the core without detection or alerts but i'm supposed to fulton guys too, and destroy cameras? How do those add to my winnings?

Gui_PT

FOB event? do you mean just player base invasions? I've been getting good at just getting to the core without detection or alerts but i'm supposed to fulton guys too, and destroy cameras? How do those add to my winnings?

Go to FOB Missions and there's a tab called Events. I think it's the second one counting from the right.

There's an event going on where you have to invade an AI PF(it doesn't actually belong to any real world player) and you get cool rewards like an S+ rank soldier belonging to the 1st platform you invade and an S++ rank one belonging to the last platform you invade, if I'm not mistaken. And you don't have to worry about the owner of the FOB dropping in to defend it.

Extracting guys and destroying equipment gives you espionage points.

E: Besides in this event, every soldier is at least A+ rank so it's useful to extract them if you need high ranking soldiers.

Go to FOB Missions and there's a tab called Events. I think it's the second one counting from the right.

There's an event going on where you have to invade an AI PF(it doesn't actually belong to any real world player) and you get cool rewards like an S+ rank soldier belonging to the 1st platform you invade and an S++ rank one belonging to the last platform you invade, if I'm not mistaken. And you don't have to worry about the owner of the FOB dropping in to defend it.

Extracting guys and destroying equipment gives you espionage points.

E: Besides in this event, every soldier is at least A+ rank so it's useful to extract them if you need high ranking soldiers.
oh wow thanks, glad you're back.

There needs to be a tutorial on all the detailed little things about FOB, I feel like the first time I played Dark Souls, lost like an innocent sheep in a forest packed with iron knights.

the new FOB events are pretty good... those GMP awards are huge and nice to see we get a S++ soldier reward not instead of a S+ one

4th S++ Combat unit here I come... hope he gets Tough Guy skill :O

Ashura_MX

the new FOB events are pretty good... those GMP awards are huge and nice to see we get a S++ soldier reward not instead of a S+ one

4th S++ Combat unit here I come... hope he gets Tough Guy skill :O

I got owned twice because stupid and owned myself 10 meters from the door by jumping feom the top level of the medicinal strut :/

It was fun, and so nice to know I wont be retaliated >_>

Top Bottom