• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| A Franchise Robbed Of Its Future

I lost a hundred hours of progress due to the mission 29/42 bug (it's not fixed if you use D-Walker!). I have now gotten back everything I lost and more through evil means

#alreadyademon

Oh god. Did you do that pre or post patch?

I used D-walker on both of those to S rank. I was playing with fire and I didnt even know it!

Edzi

That's fully addressed in the CE; which anyone who really cared about the story would have bought. In fact, I prefer it that way - it makes it feel more exclusive and valuable, whereas you wouldn't really appreciate it as much if it were part of the game itself.

I'm confused, is Golnei a troll?

Ashura_MX

What stat is best for the Security Team? I have no idea how it is supposed to be set up. I'm assuming combat is best but I'm probably wrong.

Ideally some combat and some stat for each platform they are assigned to (assuming the platform specific boost appliest to NPCs), but... since you cant assign specific soldiers to certain platforms, the safe bet is Combat + Boaster :p

I'm confused, is Golnei a troll?

I dont know, but after seeing that cut mission, I feel like it should've been in the game. That was the one plot point that never resolved itself and I thought if I kept playing and S ranking the missions or 100% or something, I'd see a climax about what happens to (END spoilers) ->
Eli, the children, and Sahelanthropus
. Not to mention, the description of what the finale would've been sounds awesome as hell ->
Venom snake and all motherbase forces engaging sahelanthropus in a big battle

BadWolf

I dont know, but after seeing that cut mission, I feel like it should've been in the game. That was the one plot point that never resolved itself and I thought if I kept playing and S ranking the missions or 100% or something, I'd see a climax about what happens to (END spoilers) ->
Eli, the children, and Sahelanthropus
. Not to mention, the description of what the finale would've been sounds awesome as hell ->
Venom snake and all motherbase forces engaging sahelanthropus in a big battle

Tbh I didn't really mind since
Ocelot or Miller mention that they are looking for them so you know they are keeping track
and at the end of the day you know that
Mantis and Liquid will be okay
, not to mention in the ending credits timeline they mention that
Liquid and Solid are sent to the battlefield in 1991

I did watch
Episode 51
later but it felt as pointless as I expected it would had it been included in the game. It would just have been
Diamond Dogs beating up a bunch of kids
with a repeat Sahelanthropus fight. And again, they can't do much of impact since
you know that Eli/Mantis will be okay and at that point Venom knows that Eli can't in any be his son/clone
. Even if they do turn it into DLC in the future I sure as heck hope they change it a lot from what is in that video.

So yeah, I'm glad that the game ended with
Episode 46
rather than
, I much prefer finishing the game and being left in deep thought about BB and the MGS series as a whole. Very content with how things ended.

Oh god. Did you do that pre or post patch?

I used D-walker on both of those to S rank. I was playing with fire and I didnt even know it!
It was post-patch. I had skipped most of the replay missions and decided to grind through them. Game crashed during mission 42 and the save was corrupted. Went from 80 percent to 15 completion. I did it the first time around (29) with no problems, even replayed it a few times. In 42, it happened, after the patch. Don't take a buddy to hose missions, and just don't replay them at all since they kind of blow.

It was my Ground Zeroes moment and it pushed me to break the game. I now have more than what I had before I lost everything after only a few days

Most of that time was after beating everything (that I cared about) and waiting for timers to tick down. Now, timers are no more

Do the yellow dot combat deployment missions ever end? Any benefit other then the individual rewards per mission to completing them all? (if they do eventually end)

Should I do missions
&
before doing
?
Anything else before starting that? Didn't finish all side ops, developed weapons fully. :/
Can you even continue playing after that?

Raiden

Banned
I thought i got majorly spoiled from a dude at work but ...
There is a chapter 2?? Holy shit yes! This guy told me that the game is over after you killed Skull Face in mission 31, he told me this when i was at mission 23 or something like that. So all this time i'm doing side ops and collecting shit just to delay the ending and then the game gives you a "what to expect in Chapter 2" i felt like a little kid on Christmas

Edzi

There is a chapter 2?? Holy shit yes! This guy told me that the game is over after you killed Skull Face in mission 31, he told me this when i was at mission 23 or something like that. So all this time i'm doing side ops and collecting shit just to delay the ending and then the game gives you a "what to expect in Chapter 2" i felt like a little kid on Christmas

I wouldn't get too excited if I were you.

Javier23

Banned
Oh boy...

You're basically done with the game. There's a couple of decent story missions left but don't expect much.

Bossun

Just also know that the "on the next episode" spoiled you ALL of chapter 2 lol.

BadWolf

Should I do missions
&
before doing
?
Anything else before starting that? Didn't finish all side ops, developed weapons fully. :/
Can you even continue playing after that?

You don't have to finish those if you don't want to, those are just harder version repeat missions. They are fun though.

And yeah, you can continue playing after you finish
and do more side ops, keep expanding etc.

I got spoiled too by some jackass who didn't know proper spoiler etiquette in IGN and then again, for the same spoiler, by a troll on GameFAQs. >_> I mean it was something I kind of suspected from the start of the game but still annoyed me. I really need to just finish the damn story I have over 200 hours into the damn game and still haven't done mission 38, also have nothing left to develop so I'm money capped and have nearly 3M on the online side. At least I've finally just put everything on max for the helicopter.

Buying the rest of
Quiet's outfits feels stupid since she is gone. Patch her back in.

Yeah, this could maybe used some obscuring. But if that happens in story then that's some bullshit.

Boaster is such a worthlessly frustrating skill. Sometimes they're boasting but still actually have high stats. I fultoned someone who was Boasting and after they were on my base they were still an S rank. The skill is basically "Make analyzer worthless." which is just straight up unfun.

Boasters are a bit of a low cost gamble, I just dump most of them into the security unit if their combat is high enough (currently A+ at least if they have the stat but A++ without it) since I think you're supposed to anyway and it messes with people who invade your FOB.

Where did that costume DLC ever go to (ie: Quiet as The Boss etc)? I've been keeping my eye on US PSN store and am not finding anything but MB coins and the Online component.

Yeah, this could maybe used some obscuring. But if that happens in story then that's some bullshit.

It's the one thing I would willingly spoil someone on though since there's no real warning.

Without getting into the specifics, if you want to avoid that, keep the butterfly symbol in your customized emblem.

It's a cool ending to that story thread, but the mission is a bit naff/difficult, it's initiated automatically (you don't even get the chance to choose whether to start the side op that leads to it) and it's a point of no return for a significant gameplay mechanic.

Where did that costume DLC ever go to (ie: Quiet as The Boss etc)? I've been keeping my eye on US PSN store and am not finding anything but MB coins and the Online component.

The costume's for the player when they deploy as a female Mother Base soldier. Don't know when it'll be made available.

Bossun

It's the one thing I would willingly spoil someone on though since there's no real warning.

Without getting into the specifics, if you want to avoid that, keep the butterfly symbol in your customized emblem.

It's a cool ending to that story thread, but the mission is a bit naff/difficult, it's initiated automatically (you don't even get the chance to choose whether to start the side op that leads to it) and it's a point of no return for a significant gameplay mechanic.

The costume's for the player when they deploy as a female Mother Base soldier.

Maybe you can help me, or someone on this topic, but am I stuck doing mission 45 3 times in a row and trying to get a butterfly emblem each time to get the butterfly codename?

Seeing the difficulty of the mission I think it's gonna get annoying really fast
, but since Quiet left I cannot use her on some easier mission to get the codename more easily.

The costume's for the player when they deploy as a female Mother Base soldier. Don't know when it'll be made available.

Ah that's too bad. Starting a replay soon and that would have spiced things up a bit for Flaming Buffalo (cough....wheeze....cough.....wheeze). I was kinda expecting it the day after I saw the thread for it here, but oh well.

Maybe you can help me, or someone on this topic, but am I stuck doing mission 45 3 times in a row and trying to get a butterfly emblem each time to get the butterfly codename?

Seeing the difficulty of the mission I think it's gonna get annoying really fast
, but since Quiet left I cannot use her on some easier mission to get the codename more easily.

Once you complete Mission
43 and get Quiet's bond level up to 100, it'll initiate her final mission and there's no way of getting her back after that
. There's no use in using the butterfly emblem after that point.

Bossun

Once you complete Mission
43 and get Quiet's bond level up to 100, it'll initiate her final mission and there's no way of getting her back after that
. There's no use in using the butterfly emblem after that point.

Yeah I know that I already did mission 45, it just a completionist thing. I'd like to GET the butterfly codename.

I know I can do mission 45 again and again but man it's hard and the butterfly codename requirement is to get butterfly emblem on three mission in a raw. It's just gonna be so hard having to do it on mission 45.

Yeah I know that I already did mission 45, it just a completionist thing. I'd like to GET the butterfly codename.

I know I can do mission 45 again and again but man it's hard and the butterfly codename requirement is to get butterfly emblem on three mission in a raw. It's just gonna be so hard having to do it on mission 45.

Oh, okay, I misunderstood. Only thing I can think of is to lead on-foot enemies out into the open as much as possible and only focus on the vehicles.

I think it's lame that doing chronologically older story missions doesn't allow for that gameplay mechanic anymore.

Okay, someone help me understand the staff operation stuff. I thought I was getting a lot of new recruits and I thought that I was assigning them to the right place. However, I relized that all of the branches of my Mother Base was full. Because up at the top it said 40/40. Then I relizied that all of the people I thought I was assigning was still in the waiting room tag.

So I guess my two big questions are:

1) Does upgrading each indivial base allow for more staff to join?

2) Do I have to manually go in and dismiss all of the lower ranking guys to make room for the better guys? Can this process be atuomated?

Ashura_MX

Okay, someone help me understand the staff operation stuff. I thought I was getting a lot of new recruits and I thought that I was assigning them to the right place. However, I relized that all of the branches of my Mother Base was full. Because up at the top it said 40/40. Then I relizied that all of the people I thought I was assigning was still in the waiting room tag.

So I guess my two big questions are:

1) Does upgrading each indivial base allow for more staff to join?

2) Do I have to manually go in and dismiss all of the lower ranking guys to make room for the better guys? Can this process be atuomated?
1.- yes, every strut allows 10 more for that strut and the command center is +50 or something in general
2.- when you go over the cap the lower end guy will be gone for good. But its really hard to cap your base in normal conditions, maybe if you fulton and do lots of FOB.

1.- yes, every strut allows 10 more for that strut and the command center is +50 or something in general
2.- when you go over the cap the lower end guy will be gone for good. But its really hard to cap your base in normal conditions, maybe if you fulton and do lots of FOB.

Ahhhh thanks! I felt so silly when I realized that there was a cap and I forgot to add new struts lol

Well that's some shit, I better put that symbol in my emblem then.

Yeah, she's done that quite a few times along with triggering landmines.

i just booted up the game after a few days of Witcher 3

and I got a new S++ combat soldier... and FIFTY NINE (59 lol) S rank volunteers (//edit// checked my video archive and it said they were all administrator's rewards)

After all that controversy about MGSV's second chapter having players repeat harder versions of previous missions, I actually thought they were mandatory, but seems to me that they're all optional. Don't really see anything wrong with that. Though it's apparent that since they seem to be the bulk of available missions for me at this point, chapter 2 will be much shorter. Even so, can't really complain about the game's lenght.
The theme of having to go into a base/camp to extract someone/something is seriously over-used though.
Also starting to see a lot of repetition in the places I need to sneak into.

they are

never did a single one :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Omg are you shitting me I've been calling a chopper all this time.

It just feels weird to me to have this big open world if there's no real reason to ever run across it yourself. Just leave the map then select a new landing point next to your destination. Like the game would be better if they ditched the open world and just made 10-15 Ground Zeroes style areas.

Yeah, that's a waste of GMP. Just Return to ACC right after the Side op is complete and choose your next one. I've been doing that, and I'm cutting through side ops quickly.

The funniest part is that you can return to the ACC even if you're on alert and people are trying to kill you. I did one last night where the entire camp was trying to kill me because I was running around like a moron shooting people with the Hail for fun. When I was done with the op, I hit Return to ACC and it just warped me back to the helicopter.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
haha yeah... coming in hot, boss, watch out. rocket salvo, rocket salvo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sbVE7RIeV4

rocket salvo rocket salvo is maybe my favorite radio chatter to hear

That's really awesome. My experience with the game is totally different, since I'm playing the Japanese version of the game. Even if you play with English text, the voices are still in Japanese.

Here's a video I made a couple nights ago: https://youtu.be/Qo6FqPZ5mTg?t=40 (spoilers for post-game side op)

All the radio chatter is pretty great in Japanese.

The iDroid is still in English, though, since Donna Burke voiced it in both versions.

Minamu

For video games that doesn't seem like a lot to be honest. I feel like I've heard about several games doubling that mark easily.

As for Mission 29...yeah, a very unpolished mess of a Mission. I beat it, but it felt terrible to do it. Tomorrow I'll do Mission 30
and 31 to beat Chapter 1.
I agree. If we assume that each mgs5 copy was roughly 60$, 180 million is about 3 million copies sold. Not that much, but quite alot for launch day only I guess. But those 180 million is the total amount of money, how big is Konami's share of that? Half? Less?

Alright so I'm just doing clean up mainly now, story is finished and completion is around 60%, have a few questions though.

1. Online resources. Someone explain this shit. The vast majority of resources seem to end up online, but what does that entail? Does it just mean I have to be online to access them, and I'm at risk of someone invading and stealing it all away?

2. What weapons should I be investing my GMP into? I'm sure there's a great rocket launcher or something I should work on to help S ranking shitty missions like 45 and 50.

3. Are some of the end game staff abilities unique to side ops, or optional objectives in main ops? I'm noticing that as I get to high end equipment I'm lacking a lot of the required abilities for development, such as for the homing rocket launchers mentioned above. But maybe I've just been unlucky with staff recruitment.

4. What does building a nuke do? Can I pretty much just ignore it and build one then immediately dismantle it to get the two trophies?

That's all that comes to mind at this moment, but I've been having questions as I play a bit so I may have some more tonight.

The offline resource cap was lowered by 85.5%.
first time I went offline after the new hotfix, I went from 4,586,200 to 95,710 :O

but then I reconnected multiple times and it was always 458,620 offline... so exactly 10% of my GMP became offline.

my fuel also went from about 30K total (-20K offline) to 50K total (5k offline) (again, also by doing nothing, just reconnecting)

Betty

Banned
4. What does building a nuke do? Can I pretty much just ignore it and build one then immediately dismantle it to get the two trophies?

That's all that comes to mind at this moment, but I've been having questions as I play a bit so I may have some more tonight.

Building a Nuke means only people with super high Heroism can attempt to infiltrate your base in FOB.

Maybe I don't want anyone to willingly spoil anything for me. And that's what
this is for.

I've kept everything behind spoiler tags, but in order to warn someone, there's no way to completely telling them what happens.

I got trolled
twice by the legendary gunsmith
sideop, guess this guy is Kojima himself.

Make sure to develop/upgrade smaller weapons near the top of each development page. The gunsmith allows gun customization in the ACC, and that includes underbarrel attachments for grenade launchers (damage, smoke, etc.), shotguns (normal, double barrel sawed off), and more.

Top Bottom