• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain |OT2| [EXTREME]

On Demand

Banned
Please tell me I don't have to complete an extreme mission in order to get another main story mission? I have to kill those skulls again. The idea of redoing missions is just......WTF.

I'm at mission 41. There aren't any main ones available.

Golnei

Please tell me I don't have to complete an extreme mission in order to get another main story mission? I have to kill those skulls again. The idea of redoing missions is just......WTF.

I'm at mission 41. There aren't any main ones available.

You should be able to continue just by doing sideops.

Coreda

Real-time development timers in a game with a non-real time clock is really becoming utterly ridiculous. Literally have to leave the game running over night. It artificially increases game time and frankly drags the gameplay to a halt while things develop.

Golnei

Side ops? Are there any specific ones, or do I have to complete a certain amount?

Some bad game design forcing you to do these.

If you have any marked in yellow, do those; but otherwise you might have to do random ones until you trigger the next main mission.

I've bitched about the GMP (with nothing costly enough to spend it on) and resources (especially refined) caps but it's also kind of annoying how once you unlock security staff the waiting room is basically useless outside of needing a place to put people for a minute if you're trying to organize something. The 1400 staff cap with MB and the first FOB isn't enough with how many people you can extract in just one session. I'm removing A++ staff left and right since I don't like the game automatically removing staff. I'm pretty much stopping going out into the field (and not playing more than a couple minutes) until the next update adds the new items or getting another 140 or so coins to buy the second FOB. I kind of don't like being forced to grind and then later being punished for it.

Also lost a million GMP from one of the event rewards because of the cap.

SJRB

Gold Member
Side ops? Are there any specific ones, or do I have to complete a certain amount?

Some bad game design forcing you to do these.

General rule of thumb is that 3 side ops unlocks a main mission. Keep paying attention to yellow-marked missions and tapes, as listening to certain tapes is mandatory for unlocking a certain mission.

I've bitched about the GMP (with nothing costly enough to spend it on) and resources (especially refined) caps but it's also kind of annoying how once you unlock security staff the waiting room is basically useless outside of needing a place to put people for a minute if you're trying to organize something. The 1400 staff cap with MB and the first FOB isn't enough with how many people you can extract in just one session. I'm removing A++ staff left and right since I don't like the game automatically removing staff. I'm pretty much stopping going out into the field (and not playing more than a couple minutes) until the next update adds the new items or getting another 140 or so coins to buy the second FOB. I kind of don't like being forced to grind and then later being punished for it.

Also lost a million GMP from one of the event rewards because of the cap.

to each his own. but why bother swapping people out yourself1/ the game does a perfectly serviceable job on its own. i shudder at the thought of how much time i'd have to devote to this if the base management was anything like peace walker.

Gui_PT

oh wow thanks, glad you're back.

There needs to be a tutorial on all the detailed little things about FOB, I feel like the first time I played Dark Souls, lost like an innocent sheep in a forest packed with iron knights.

Thanks.
Tutorials would be helpful, for sure.

Finally reached 1m GMP thanks to those 3 days dispachted missions, then i've Got disconnected and lost 700k GMP.

You didn't lose it, you still have it. You just have to get back online.
Unless something wrong happened besides that.

On Demand

Banned
If you have any marked in yellow, do those; but otherwise you might have to do random ones until you trigger the next main mission.

General rule of thumb is that 3 side ops unlocks a main mission. Keep paying attention to yellow-marked missions and tapes, as listening to certain tapes is mandatory for unlocking a certain mission.

Yeah i've done all of the important side ops and listened to the tapes already.

Do combat deployments count?

BadWolf

Cross posting from the other thread:

Words That Kill: Metal Gear and the Genocide of Native Americans

A really, really good read.

This trauma is still felt today. Here is a video of a Native woman named Annie Smith reciting a poem she wrote inspired by her great uncle who died as a child in an American Indian boarding school. He choked to death on a bar of soap that was crammed into his mouth as punishment for daring to speak his native language.

Words That Kill, indeed. That tape where Code Talker talked about this subject really left me thinking.

Make sure to also read the response he posts from one of his readers. Heart breaking stuff.

While infiltrating the Command platform during this week FOB event ('New World Order'), I noticed that near the core entrance I could here someone say "he is late" (among other things I don't remember).

Unfortunately I never manage to reach the platform core without being in search/alert mode, so I could't really find out what it was about.

Did anyone else notice? Is there something more to it?

It sounds like there's an ally NPC near the area...

PensOwl

Banned
While infiltrating the Command platform during this week FOB event ('New World Order'), I noticed that near the core entrance I could here someone say "he is late" (among other things I don't remember).

Unfortunately I never manage to reach the platform core without being in search/alert mode, so I could't really find out what it was about.

Did anyone else notice? Is there something more to it?

It sounds like there's an ally NPC near the area...

If a guard is investigating something, sometimes he'll buddy up with another guard. If you take out one of the guards, the other will mutter things like '"he's late" or "whats taking him so long"

to each his own. but why bother swapping people out yourself1/ the game does a perfectly serviceable job on its own. i shudder at the thought of how much time i'd have to devote to this if the base management was anything like peace walker.

It doesn't take that long, I generally just remove my lowest ranked staff who also don't have a minimum A++ combat rating. I just like knowing who is getting the boot without the game doing it for me.

valkyre

This has probably been mentioned a lot but it is worth being said many times more.

MGSV has godlike gameplay. The difference compared to other games not only of its genre is insane...

I have been playing the Witcher 3 once again due to the expansion, and while I adore W3 as a game and it is possibly my GOTY for 2015 so far, the difference in controls and overall gameplay enjoyment cannot be compared with MGSV.

I know what most people will say: "dude wtf has an RPG to do with a stealth action game?"

It is simple. I am talking about basic controls here. Take movement for example. After playing the entire W3 expansion for 15 hours or so, I came back today to play a few side ops in MGSV. And I was instantly hooked once again... The feeling of controling Venom is pure enjoyment whereas when trying to move Geralt (be it normal controls or alternate ones) feels like a chore. Geralt is moving erratically, its almost impossible to tip toe accurately in narrow passages, the response is god awful and there is no sense that you are controling a character rather than some automotive doll or something. It can be very frustrating just to navigate your character.

In comparison simply moving around with Venom is such a refined and great experience. I dont know how much work is needed to create such a perfect balance in terms of controls but MGSV really is as close to perfect as I have experienced (imho always).

Another example, even more apparent are the horses in these 2 games. Try the horse in W3 and then come back to try the horse in MGSV... the difference is huge, I honestly couldnt believe how bad the horse in W3 is, after MGSV...

So once again, kudos to KP for creating one of the most refined gameplay experiences I ever had. I can only describe in one word: sublime.

Ok, so beat Mission 46 last night.

Not going to spoil anything - but that was not done very well by Kojima Pro.

I mean - they didn't really make a big deal of it - just named it "Truth - Escape the hospital"

There were no different cuteness from the beginning and I ended up skipping most of them - and accidentally skipped the last (most important) cutscene after the car crash as well.

Didn't even feel like replaying it cause it was late - but then I see there are all these new cassette tapes explaining everything - I mean - why wasn't this shown in-game somehow - why trough cassette tapes?

Anyways - about to go beat all these other missions and finish episode 51 and see what happens, so be back later.

(too bad I already got spoiled on Quiet, fuck you youtube walkthrough comments)

BadWolf

Thanks for that! Very good read.

Np ^_^

Snip

So once again, kudos to KP for creating one of the most refined gameplay experiences I ever had. I can only describe in one word: sublime.

This really can't be stated enough, MGSV is just on another level.

Well over a hundred hours played and I still enjoy just moving Venom around to look at the way he animates. Watching him enter and exit the crawl, diving, engaging in CQC, jumping off a vehicle in motion etc. never gets old. Still blows my mind how he fully animates all around while crawling and aiming in 3rd person, even crawling with one arm while holding the gun up.

Everything feels so right and responsive, all while exhibiting the proper sense of weight.

There were no different cuteness from the beginning and I ended up skipping most of them - and accidentally skipped the last (most important) cutscene after the car crash as well.

You sort of skipped the ending there, you may want to check it out on youtube if you don't want to replay the mission.

broony

Quick question please. Are there private lobbies in metal gear online? If me and three friends want to try out the game modes, can we do it by ourselves?

myco666

Huh, I still seemed to be covered in blood even after disposing. Bummer :(

Well I probably had my Demon points at zero as I had caught all animals, I rarely kill anyone and fulton everytime someone is injured. You can't be that far from the treshold of losing the perma-blood if you have disposed your nuke.

Ratrat

This has probably been mentioned a lot but it is worth being said many times more.

MGSV has godlike gameplay. The difference compared to other games not only of its genre is insane...
Agreed. This is why you can get dozens of hours of enjoyment from Ground Zeroes even, gameplay is just amazing.

Well I probably had my Demon points at zero as I had caught all animals, I rarely kill anyone and fulton everytime someone is injured. You can't be that far from the treshold of losing the perma-blood if you have disposed your nuke.

you could be 10s of thousands of demon points ahead of getting the blood away (you meaning anyone playing the game, not YOU). depends on how you've been playing.

mind went away after doing one side op run and fultoning every soldier and animal i saw. but if you've killed a lot of people and had a long horn going already. you'll probably need to grind away demon points to get the blood gone

I have been playing the Witcher 3 once again due to the expansion, and while I adore W3 as a game and it is possibly my GOTY for 2015 so far, the difference in controls and overall gameplay enjoyment cannot be compared with MGSV.

I know what most people will say: "dude wtf has an RPG to do with a stealth action game?"

It is simple. I am talking about basic controls here. Take movement for example. After playing the entire W3 expansion for 15 hours or so, I came back today to play a few side ops in MGSV. And I was instantly hooked once again... The feeling of controling Venom is pure enjoyment whereas when trying to move Geralt (be it normal controls or alternate ones) feels like a chore. Geralt is moving erratically, its almost impossible to tip toe accurately in narrow passages, the response is god awful and there is no sense that you are controling a character rather than some automotive doll or something. It can be very frustrating just to navigate your character.

In comparison simply moving around with Venom is such a refined and great experience. I dont know how much work is needed to create such a perfect balance in terms of controls but MGSV really is as close to perfect as I have experienced (imho always).

Another example, even more apparent are the horses in these 2 games. Try the horse in W3 and then come back to try the horse in MGSV... the difference is huge, I honestly couldnt believe how bad the horse in W3 is, after MGSV...

I know man it feels soooo good. I want every game to have MGSV's controls. I was playing the other day and I felt that this game would be fun as a platformer tbh. Running and jumping and diving is so fun.
And yeah every time I think of getting the witcher, i remember people saying the gameplay is garbage and the controls are bad so I think i'll pass for now.

Ashura_MX

I prefer AssCreed 2 jumping, or Batman AC, but then again you're not supposed to jimp much on MGSV. Jeep and truck controls are iffy too, but again you're not supposed to use those much except between outpost traveling.

I just got 100%. I only have the 2
nuke
trophies and the develop 300 weapons trophy to go until I get the platinum.

I have no idea how close I am to 300 weapons developed :(

HoodWinked

got a new pc patch. 77.2MB

well it broke assign troops.
TSzdggq.jpg

got a new pc patch. 77.2MB

well it broke assign troops.

They break something every patch. They're reaching Rockstar levels of patching proficiency. Three patches ago, the performance took a dip for me. Then with the next patch, it was stabilized. And after that, back to worse performance. Not to mention their incompetency with the DLC outfits (missing sneaking suit, footstep bug).

The nuke FOB list started giving results for me in the last day or so, been trying to steal one but no luck yet!

Not much point
it could actually make around Mission 23-29 harder lol
but still a cool detail.

Yeah it did! This was where I noticed it, my first thought was it was the
actual spread of the language that was the cause. Most of my longest serving Russian recruits were sick and talking an African language for some reason.

Didn't know about the change to RT but the nuke time actually depends on one of your base ability levels, or used to. My first was 24hrs and second was 20.

valkyre

It's pretty cool how Diamond Dog staff learn new languages from their peers over time... Put together a crappy little clip to show an example of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDY1kCvFZv8

Not much point
it could actually make around Mission 23-29 harder lol
but still a cool detail.

You can sometimes have MB staff trying to learn others to speak English. Its a nice little touch, I think I encountered this dialogue 2-3 times while on MB.

myco666

you could be 10s of thousands of demon points ahead of getting the blood away (you meaning anyone playing the game, not YOU). depends on how you've been playing.

mind went away after doing one side op run and fultoning every soldier and animal i saw. but if you've killed a lot of people and had a long horn going already. you'll probably need to grind away demon points to get the blood gone

Yeah I read that Demon point guide again and realized I miss read it. Disposing your nuke only takes away 1000points meaning there can be bunch of points left to take out.

You can sometimes have MB staff trying to learn others to speak English. Its a nice little touch, I think I encountered this dialogue 2-3 times while on MB.
woah, really? i'm 250 hours in and never heard this... i wonder if it was progress related or if it can occur any time.

i explore MB a lot too because I really love off-shore rigs, military architecture, ports and shipping, cranes, etc hahaha i've probably spent hours exploring almost every single week since release just because i like watching the waves below the strut bridges from the helicopters or the cranes operate above the rig towers and resource containers :O

i wonder what other ones I may have missed. i'm actually slowly replaying a 2nd game file to see if I missed any sort of story-related Diamond Dogs/Mother Base content but it's slow going because I miss that I can't keep adding to my 'main file stats (e.g. kills, /played, outposts captured, etc)... really wish we had a NewGame+ that let us start over but keep our stats/items

pringles

Just finished the game. Think I've done most of the story stuff, though I don't think I've reached the end of the
Paz
storyline. How many
Wandering MB soldiers
are there in total? I've done

What a masterpiece this game is. Definitely one of the best I've played in a long time. Some scenes towards the end were brilliant. Most of the best missions seemed to be in the first half of the game though. Looking forward to going back and trying to S rank missions. Is it important to complete all objective in all missions, does that unlock anything?

Roni

Gold Member
Just finished the game. Think I've done most of the story stuff, though I don't think I've reached the end of the
Paz
storyline. How many
Wandering MB soldiers
are there in total? I've done

What a masterpiece this game is. Definitely one of the best I've played in a long time. Some scenes towards the end were brilliant. Most of the best missions seemed to be in the first half of the game though. Looking forward to going back and trying to S rank missions. Is it important to complete all objective in all missions, does that unlock anything?

Look in the hallway leading up to her room. Your pilot in Ground Zeroes is there.

S-ranks, side objectives, animals captured, yellow dispatch missions, blueprints, certificates, photos. All of these are required for 100% and unlocking all achievements.

Top Bottom