• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug animated gifs are fucking awesome so post your favorites. 56k WARNING!!!

Peltz

Wait, it is? When was this confirmed?

All the more reason for me to want KoF XIV to be a success, honestly. Granted, KoF XIV is also proving that pixel art is expensive, and old-SNK levels of pixel art isn't really feasible. But even if it's just GGX-style cel shading, I'm in.

I think 6 and 7 take place earlier than 5, but I'm not sure of the exact timeline.

Wait, it is? When was this confirmed?

Yeah, some of the games are given dates. I guess Advance took place after, but nobody cares about Advance :p If you've ever wanted to know more about Metal Slug's lore than you've ever wanted to, here you go.

I actually enjoyed MS5 a lot. It's definitely a huge step up from 4.

Peltz

Yeah, the games are given dates. I guess Advance took place after, but nobody cares about Advance :p If you've ever wanted to know more about Metal Slug's lore than you've ever wanted to, here you go.

I actually enjoyed MS5 a lot. It's definitely a huge step up from 4.

Oh, man. This is awesome! Where does all this lore come from?

Oh, man. This is awesome! Where does all this lore come from?

Pretty much all of the story comes from the brief introductions that they'd provide in the manuals for the home console versions - and the majority of these ports never saw an international release outside of Asia, so yeah, fan translations.

Fortunately, we did get some:

mslug4manual0607.jpg

Krammy

It goes without saying that Metal Slug has a lot of animations, a bunch of which are so obscure that you may never run into them. Despite playing through this game a hundred times, I only just noticed today that the fat variant of the Iron Lizard actually has three different attack patterns!
tumblr_inline_ob89sxTh4c1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_ob89syvl5P1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_ob89syvsUC1ri065t_500.gif

Normally it will run straight through until it hits an enemy, but sometimes it has to stop and catch it’s breath. If you're really unlucky, it may even fall over, revealing that it’s held together by a yolk-like substance!

It goes without saying that Metal Slug has a lot of animations, a bunch of which are so obscure that you may never run into them. Despite playing through this game a hundred times, I only just noticed today that the fat variant of the Iron Lizard actually has three different attack patterns!
tumblr_inline_ob89sxTh4c1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_ob89syvl5P1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_ob89syvsUC1ri065t_500.gif

Normally it will run straight through until it hits an enemy, but sometimes it has to stop and catch it’s breath. If you're really unlucky, it may even fall over, revealing that it’s held together by a yolk-like substance!

This is probably the only one I don't like. The Iron Lizard is absolutely garbage if you get it while fat since, even assuming it actually works, the explosion can't hit the soldiers hiding behind sandbags in MSX's last mission. And god help you if you get the Slugnoid against Huge Hermit.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Was Metal Slugging yesterday and felt like making a similar thread so will just bump this instead.

UIWX11b.gif

FZq9o63.gif

Not animated but MS backgrounds also own

Yyjg9O9.png

Top Bottom