• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug animated gifs are fucking awesome so post your favorites. 56k WARNING!!!

schopaia

That's the sad part about modern games that feature "retro graphics" as a celebration of old games' style, because plenty of those old games actually manage to look better.

You're comparing a game with likely a dozen or more artists to a games with 1 or 2 artists. Or in the case of something like Axiom Verge, 1 person who does art, music, and programming.

Krammy

I just want to say how cool all the boss names are in Metal Slug 3.

Huge Hermit, The Ten Commandments of Moses, Jupiter King, Sol Dae Rokker, and Rootmars.

It's hard to pick a favourite, but I love Jupiter King's design. It's the only Rebel Army boss in the game, and it looks like a design taken straight out of an old sci-fi movie from the 60's.
tumblr_inline_oar95bHscT1ri065t_500.gif

While Jupiter King does have an idle loop animation, because it flails it's arms all over the place, it would take way too long to properly put it into a nice gif. I grabbed this loop that plays when it's arms are down though.

EDIT:

Also it really irks me that Metal Slug 6 and Metal Slug 7/XX switched to programmed rotation of their sprites for certain pieces like the above. I get it, it was a different team, the technology is there, and it's easier to do, but come on, this looks so cheap! I have this same issue with the 2D Sonic the Hedgehog games from Sonic Advance 1 and on.

I just want to say how cool all the boss names are in Metal Slug 3.

Huge Hermit, The Ten Commandments of Moses, Jupiter King, Sol Dae Rokker, and Rootmars.

It's hard to pick a favourite, but I love Jupiter King's design. It's the only Rebel Army boss in the game, and it looks like a design taken straight out of an old sci-fi movie from the 60's.
tumblr_inline_oar95bHscT1ri065t_500.gif

While Jupiter King does have an idle loop animation, because it flails it's arms all over the place, it would take way too long to properly put it into a nice gif. I grabbed this loop that plays when it's arms are down though.

It's always been my dream to put together a .gif of him bulling a missile out of his chest. ONE DAY.

My experiencing making .gifs:

SXgUvIS.gif

;-;

nkarafo

You're comparing a game with likely a dozen or more artists to a games with 1 or 2 artists. Or in the case of something like Axiom Verge, 1 person who does art, music, and programming.
Ok.

So, where are the dozen artist teams today, working on 2D sprite based games?

nkarafo

So what runs/looks better on PC?

Metal Slug Collection or the roms with kawaks emulator?

I want crispy scanline glory.
I recommend playing it with an emulator.

The emulator allows you to go into the service mode and change some settings, like enabling blood. I don't know if this option is available in all ports.

Also, with the emulator you can overclock the emulated CPU. At 140-150% you get no slowdowns at all, you can even play Metal Slug 2 with no slowdowns. Again, i don't know how this is handled on the various ports, if at all.

Peltz

So what runs/looks better on PC?

Metal Slug Collection or the roms with kawaks emulator?

I want crispy scanline glory.

Final Burn Alpha has scanline settings. I recommend that emulator.

There's a setting that will remove all slowdown as well which makes each game feel incredibly fluid.

Also, with the emulator you can overclock the emulated CPU. At 140-150% you get no slowdowns at all, you can even play Metal Slug 2 with no slowdowns. Again, i don't know how this is handled on the various ports, if at all.

Wait, what!? Which emulator allows you to do that?

Evilisk

Wasn't able to find the gifs that I wanted (I saw Jupiter King's beam posted, but couldn't find Big Shiee using its main cannon or Dragon Nosuke's flamethrower).

latest

latest

PYn8btH.gif

Krammy

It's always been my dream to put together a .gif of him bulling a missile out of his chest. ONE DAY.

uHk4Dr1.gif

I'd love to say this is the part where "GAF delivers", but I'm not happy with the gif at all. When I was putting it together, I didn't realize that Jupiter King's claw arm goes back to one of it's 3 idle positions. Had I known that from the start, I would've made a gif that loops better, maybe a bit down the line. Also, it looks kind of crummy without the explosion effect covering the end of the missile disintegrating (the missile does disappear abruptly behind the effect).

EDIT: 18+

9WXVnnR.gif

uHk4Dr1.gif

I'd love to say this is the part where "GAF delivers", but I'm not happy with the gif at all. When I was putting it together, I didn't realize that Jupiter King's claw arm goes back to one of it's 3 idle positions. Had I known that from the start, I would've made a gif that loops better, maybe a bit down the line. Also, it looks kind of crummy without the explosion effect covering the end of the missile disintegrating (the missile does disappear abruptly behind the effect).

9WXVnnR.gif

Oh no.
Or oh yes?

Yes.

Good work.

uHk4Dr1.gif

9WXVnnR.gif

marcofatdualsplat.gif

Bydobob

uHk4Dr1.gif

9WXVnnR.gif

Wonderful work. He was a pretty big boss before, now his size takes a different perspective...

Peltz

the worst thing is nobody knows who the fuck these dudes are who made this shit
Yea. I wonder why they have stayed anonymous after their involvement ended.

And, are they still making games today? It'd be amazing if we were playing popular games by these dudes without even knowing it.

FoxSpirit

RetroArch using the FinalBurnAlpha core and the crt-royale-kurozumi shader.

CRT-Royale is pretty much near-infinitely customizable, so you can go for almost any look you want providing your PC is powerful enough.
Wow, this actually simulates the look of the raycast with thinning scanlines at high brightness and round edges of the scanbeam. Fucking impressed. Is this only for retroarch?

bodine1231

Played through 2 yesterday and 3 today because of this thread,probably gonna go through one each day until I finish them all. I laughed out loud quite a bit through both games,they are so damn charming in their twists. Loved how the end of three became a shmup,wasnt expecting that at all.

Sophia

Wow, this actually simulates the look of the raycast with thinning scanlines at high brightness and round edges of the scanbeam. Fucking impressed. Is this only for retroarch?

I believe it's a RetroArch exclusive shader, yes.

You can also run MAME with it.

This specific shader (CRT-Royale) is included with RetroArch now. The kurozumi variant I had to download; I don't know if it's included yet. You can simulate many different types of CRTs with it.

Did anyone remember this boss was cut down in MS5? I think the final boss had a last phase that was cut down too

sLkERKE.gif

Concept art shows that it was actually based on Hindu mythology and would have carried the final boss and those elephant cannons on its back, which would have been pretty sick. It's a shame the game was rushed out the door.

The final boss we got was presumably going to be the last part of a multi-stage boss fight, with the first part being against the Native who got struck by lightning in an earlier cutscene:

If you're interested, Metal Slug Attack has both the Stone Turtle (which is actually given a story explanation for being cut, saying that because of its size the Ptolemaics couldn't fully excavate it before the war ended) and the Ptolemaic leader as units, so you can view some of the animations they would have had.

Has the final boss in 5 ever been explained? It felt so out of place, and when you beat it, it just flies away. It felt like something was missing, much like the rest of that game. The other bosses made sense and were clearly defeated in the aftermath, but this giant scythe-wielding thing just flies away after it gets shot a bunch of times, obviously still up for causing more havoc.

Has the final boss in 5 ever been explained? It felt so out of place, and when you beat it, it just flies away. It felt like something was missing, much like the rest of that game. The other bosses made sense and were clearly defeated in the aftermath, but this giant scythe-wielding thing just flies away after it gets shot a bunch of times, obviously still up for causing more havoc.

The game was incredibly rushed, and they simply didn't have time for things like a "coherent plot.

HEADCANON: The boss is actually extremely similarone of the Rebel flags from the earlier games:

latest

latest

Since MS5 is canonically the last game, I like to think that the Ptolemaics are remnants from an occultist wing of the Rebels (like the bad guys in half the Wolfenstein games, since the Rebels are clearly based on Nazis). The Rebels clearly communicate with aliens, so maybe it's just another alien, and it books it when you blow it up.

Sure, looks cool, though.

guTakaJ.gif

Loona

If you're interested, Metal Slug Attack has both the Stone Turtle (which is actually given a story explanation for being cut, saying that because of its size the Ptolemaics couldn't fully excavate it before the war ended) and the Ptolemaic leader as units, so you can view some of the animations they would have had.

Yeah, that was part of a recent MSA update: https://youtu.be/iP3YtttsQGc?t=117

I wonder why the hell all the promotional material online for the game is in Japanese though...

L.O.R.D

Got no clue where to find Metal Slug gifs, so have some NGBC gifs instead

marco-ngbc-boxing-glove.gif

marco-ngbc-hyakutaro.gif

marco-ngbc-super.gif

(If I knew where, I'd post the other alien robot using its beam attack, that Turret Boss [the one from MS2] using its flamethrower attack and that land battleship using its main cannon)

xyFuQXW.gif

YJygtSR.gif

no wait a minute this is not from a metal slug game !

M0zMSeZ.gif

Now this is MUCH better !
Those are remake or fan made?

I made a thread on this BUT NOBODY POSTED IN IT, but it's relevant-ish here.

Anybody remember the old Commando games on Miniclip? The art and gameplay isn't nearly as good (obviously, since it's a free flash game) but it's a pretty fun tribute to MS and proves that indie devs can emulate that artstyle.

lYlMq5.gif

lYlMnr.gif

Evilisk

I made a thread on this BUT NOBODY POSTED IN IT, but it's relevant-ish here.

Anybody remember the old Commando games on Miniclip? The art and gameplay isn't nearly as good (obviously, since it's a free flash game) but it's a pretty fun tribute to MS and proves that indie devs can emulate that artstyle.

I didn't see that thread. I remember playing at least one of those games.

That was back when I was younger and my parents were really stingy with money and games, so I basically had to find alternatives and Flash games provided those for me (aside from the Commando games, I remember playing a flash King of Fighters game featuring only 'K, and a decently playing Street Fighter Flash game that used Snk Vs Capcom: Chaos sprites).

Anyway, yeah I definitely remember checking it out because it looked like Metal Slug. I don't think I got past the first level though lol. I might give them a go when I get the time.

Also, speaking of alternatives, I noticed a whole bunch of Metal Slug knockoffs on Google Play Store. Actually there's a hilarious amount of games on there lifting SNK sprites into various games. I wonder if I should download some of those and try a few just for a laugh

N.Domixis

Banned
This needs a metal slug mania. Also can all 7 ms games be beat with 1 life? I remember trying and finding some sections impossible to survive.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How do you guys know the Boss' names? I always thought that one Boss' name was "Morden" because that's what was printed on it :D (although I later learned that it was General Morden's army)

How do you guys know the Boss' names? I always thought that one Boss' name was "Morden" because that's what was printed on it :D (although I later learned that it was General Morden's army)

The concept art names a bunch. The rest are given names in Defense and Attack.

Top Bottom