• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio Demo is dropping today on Consoles and Steam at 9 AM/11AM PT

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

w4dhcEP.png

So I've lost all desire to play any of the other games I was playing after this demo...

Someone in my steam family has SMT Nocturne remake, is that a good one? I've only played persona 3/4G/5R and understand there isn't any social links but never tried an SMT

th4tguy

That explains Gallica's strange attitude.

It's funny because people treat this like a new problem but localization changes have been a problem from Day 1.
Working Designs used to be praised and criticized heavily for manipulating the tone of characters/ stories, inserting pop culture references, and inuindoes.

In my experience, you are never going to get a truly 1 for 1 localization of a story heavy game.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

When the choir kicks in around the minute mark....that's some good stuff right there.

Minus the battle theme, which isn't as bad as people here make it out to be, this game has a wonderful OST and that track right there, I remember stopping and listening to it for a bit.
It's really nice to listen to.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Meh still getting the game. This is a case where it gives the Fairy a bit more personality. The sassy kind.
I kinda agree and this few cases I actually like the english voice over JP voice, they done pretty well.

Learn not to reply like an idiot.
This has been case with JRPG from very beginning, localization is not straight up translation.......rememberer Xenoblade 2, the entire character name is different from JP version, like Pyra's actual name is Homura in JP version.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I kinda agree and this few cases I actually like the english voice over JP voice, they done pretty well.

This has been case with JRPG from very beginning, localization is not straight up translation.......rememberer Xenoblade 2, the entire character name is different from JP version, like Pyra's actual name is Homura in JP version.
Context of the dialogue in both languages is pretty much the same IMO so I don't mind. And given the similarity to the Fairy demons from SMT I'd expect Fairies to have a feisty attitude.

Pyra sounds better in English then Homura but still conveys the core meaning of Homura which is Blaze/Flame and it worked out pretty well I think.

The more extreme examples would be where a translation in one language gives a completely different context and meaning to where things make sense in one language but important plot elements are lost when they mess up the localization.

Everyone knows what localization is. How its localized is the issue. Besides in Spanish and other non-english languages its translated as is in Japan, almost accurately.

Last edited:

Zacfoldor

I don't care about jagged edges or smoothness on a game like this. Inject it into my veins right now!

Localization now, they can screw that up. I hope not...that really hurts. Loved the localization in all their other games honestly. I remember when I first really learned what good localization could do for a game in TTYD on Gamecube. I'm gonna go with what was posted above isn't egregious, but rather their interpretation. I get that "girl boss" is a trope but it just doesn't fit as something they would do in this case to push a narrative. Especially as a student of anime. Sometimes the localization can take certain liberties that have nothing to do with being woke. Imma give them a chance on this one and no I'm not a localizer shill. Seems to me that they decided to change her personality from a rather loving demur companion to more of an interesting and challenging companion, similar Morgana in Persona 5. Rawwwwr!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Everyone knows what localization is. How it’s localized is the issue. Besides in Spanish and other non-english languages it’s translated as is in Japan, almost accurately.
So far in Metaphor the contexts and meaning hasn't changed, they only add little more personality which I don’t see anything wrong with that.

This was same case with Drakengard 3 when it comes to Zero’s attitude.

So far in Metaphor the contexts and meaning hasn't changed, they only add little more personality which I don’t see anything wrong with that.

This was same case with Drakengard 3 when it comes to Zero’s attitude.

Sadly you dont see anything wrong with the game and you'd buy it no matter what which makes your point a bit null. Criticism is part of life, if we can't criticize things they can't improve but hey, your money your life.

Markio128

Gold Member
Having played the demo for a couple of hours, I have to admit that I wasn’t too enamoured at first, but then I slowly started to warm to it.

I don’t mind the visuals either. The main characters are well designed and likeable, and the scenery has a hand drawn style to it that appeals to me.

It is kind of old-school in design though, but I suppose this could be seen as a positive, depending on how you like your RPGs. I don’t mind it so much. In fact, it’s quite a nice change from the usual open world games. Saying that, there could be more open areas later in the game, based on the very early area that you run through.

Not sure if it’s a day 1, but the demo has certainly piqued my interest.

Lorianus

Where does all the hardware power even go in this title because visualy its at best a ps4 game and some of the background textures could come straight out of a PS3 game.

Raven117

Minus the battle theme, which isn't as bad as people here make it out to be, this game has a wonderful OST and that track right there, I remember stopping and listening to it for a bit.
It's really nice to listen to.
I mean...The rest of the soundtrack hasn't blown me away, but that track gives me hope for the rest of the game.

(Coming from Persona 5, there was only down).
Having played the demo for a couple of hours, I have to admit that I wasn’t too enamoured at first, but then I slowly started to warm to it.
Same

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I mean...The rest of the soundtrack hasn't blown me away, but that track gives me hope for the rest of the game.

(Coming from Persona 5, there was only down).

Same
It's a demo, so I remain enthusiastic. The battle theme, at least to me, I think it was done like that on purpose. Metaphors world is already absurd, so I think, in a way, the battle theme is also absurd, lol.
To me it fits well, even if it isn't something I prefer, myself.

Edit: Just cleared the demo, everyone level 19 and multiple Archetypes at level 10 for party, bought everything you can buy, decked out, etc.. I don't know how the progress will carry over, so I will keep it on the m.2 till I figure that out.

Last edited:
So, this game is kind of a mess. It's like they had 50 million ideas and couldn't decide what to do so they put literally all of them in. The result is something which is all over the place, the story is wild, the character designs are wild, the art style is wild, the music is wild, etc

And yet for all that, it still feels like they just put a skin over Persona because the game mechanics are 100% identical. I don't have any idea what they are trying to accomplish here. Do they think gamers are just dying for another life sim identical to Persona except in a different setting? I don't get it

Visually the game is kind of ugly. I feel like they were inspired by the hand drawn watercolor art style of Valkyria Chronicles but they felt the need to add modern rendering crud on top of it and honestly it looks bad with realistic lighting pasted on top of this art style. The character designs make no sense, why is the MC carrying a school bag and dressed like the MC of Persona 3 in this non-school not-modern day civilization fantasy setting? Both Persona 3 Reload and Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance look much better than this and they run at locked 60 fps instead of whatever this game is doing which is 120 fps one second and 40 fps the next

The combat system is the SMT variant of Press Turn, there are no knock downs or All Out Attacks and there are icons on the screen to represent how many more times your party members can act. Beyond that it's completely bog standard, there are no surprises in the combat other than instead of Personas you become Attack on Titan

The game feels completely different from and yet entirely identical to a Persona game, and also not as good. I hope they can get people invested and buying copies of this but I just don't see what the goal was with this project at all. I'll probably just buy Episode Aigis for P3R instead and wait for a sale on this one and probably some patches to improve the framerate. I'm sure it will be 40 bucks by Christmas going by Average Atlus Full Price Period which is usually 1-2 months after release

Last edited:

Krathoon

I got a theory about the Human monsters.
This is either the far future where humans became monsters or humans are getting reincarnated as monsters.

I got a theory about the Human monsters.
This is either the far future where humans became monsters or humans are getting reincarnated as monsters.
Yeah, it's basically Shinsekai Yori for the people who watched that one mashed up with Attack on Titan. I'm not really feeling the creativity in the setting at all

Some of the decisions made in this game are frankly baffling. For some reason they renamed just the elemental magic skills from what they are in SMT and all spinoffs. Instead of being Agi, fire is now Bot. Okay, well they ONLY renamed the elemental magics. So light is still Hama, and all the buff/debuff -kaja and -kunda skills are still the same name. This is so pointless, what the fuck is the point of doing that? It only reinforces the reality that this is a half-assed attempt to be different from Persona but it's just a skin, in reality it's exactly the same as Persona

Also, it's fucking annoying that you need to go to the Akademeia every single time I want to change the party members' Personas Attack on Titans

That's not going to get really really old after 100 hours of this game

Little Mac

Gold Member
Also, it's fucking annoying that you need to go to the Akademeia every single time I want to change the party members' Personas Attack on Titans

That's not going to get really really old after 100 hours of this game

Keep playing the demo. You unlock the ability to do just that after completing More's first mission (Getting the Healer Archetype to level 10). After that you can press Triangle in the main menu and access the Archetype Tree.

Educate Yourself Shooting Star GIF

Last edited:
Keep playing the demo. You unlock the ability to do just that after completing More's first mission (Getting the Healer Archetype to level 10). After that you can press Triangle in the main menu and access the Archetype Tree.

Educate Yourself Shooting Star GIF
I have no idea how this is an unlockable instead of just a normal menu option but ok, I'm currently at the part where I just met the hot red haired elf lady

LOL the story of this game is absolutely bonkers, it's nice to see they invested so much into the anime cutscenes but it only reinforces the feeling that this game is an attempt to cram every possible anime trope into a single story wew

The sheer number of loading screen transitions in this game rivals Starfield, at least they are near instantaneous on PS5 but JFC why does this game use the ancient PS3-era P5 engine instead of the modern UE that they switched to for P3R and SMTV, I don't get what Atlus is doing at all sometimes. This game would be so much better if it wasn't shackled to an ancient engine which can't even display these PS3-era graphics in native 4K on a PS5, it can't even consistently hold 60 fps with upscaled 1080p

Rising_Hei

My impressions:
I like the concept and gameplay, but... it looks MUCH worse than a 2017 game (Persona 5) which came out for a 2006 machine (PS3). Those jaggies, undefined textures and low-poly characters make it hard to focus on the game (it looks like an UNDOCKED Switch game). I had a BLAST with Persona 5 Royal, but I think I'll wait until it's 20€.
And the Spanish localization (at least in the demo) is SO out of place, you have knights and nobles from a medieval fantasy speaking like modern teenagers (at times),

Last edited:
The sheer number of loading screen transitions in this game rivals Starfield, at least they are near instantaneous on PS5 but JFC why does this game use the ancient PS3-era P5 engine instead of the modern UE that they switched to for P3R and SMTV, I don't get what Atlus is doing at all sometimes. This game would be so much better if it wasn't shackled to an ancient engine which can't even display these PS3-era graphics in native 4K on a PS5, it can't even consistently hold 60 fps with upscaled 1080p
Guess I'll address my own complaint here

The reason this game still uses the P5 engine instead of UE is because it quite literally started development in 2016 after the completion of P5. Both P3R and SMTV actually began and finished development after this project begun and before it ended, which is why they were on UE because Atlus decided to switch to UE after Metaphor started. The Metaphor project will have taken a full 8 years from conception to release which is I guess kind of insane when you realize they just made Persona with more steps. It's quite literally "We have Persona at home in another world"

Top Bottom