• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio Demo is dropping today on Consoles and Steam at 9 AM/11AM PT

Exentryk

Demo is just prologue, later on you get more advance spells and skills, you can promote classes to advance classes.

Are you expecting unlock everything from get go?
Of course not. But I've played persona 5 far enough to see a good portion of abilities. And this has the same stuff.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Of course not. But I've played persona 5 far enough to see a good portion of abilities. And this has the same stuff.
There are special skill that uses your press turn, which can be risky to use but they are useful.

I mean if you didn’t like SMT’s press turn system then yeah maybe this game you might not enjoy.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
What part of the story remind you of attack on titan?

Getting into Spoiler territory:

For starters the whole depiction of humans as giant monsters.

But then there was that one part, when Louis invades the King's funeral, and drops a giant human in the ceremony saying something like: "They do exist, and they make you think you are safe behind these walls."

I'm not complaining, I actually digged Attack on Titan's plot...until a certain point.

Leonardo Dicaprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's the SMT x Fire Emblem game we should have gotten instead of whatever the fuck TMS was.
100%. Music feels very Fire Emblem to me. I like the battle chanting leading into the Choir Chorus.

MC looking like Marth and having Elf Celica seals the deal for me. Bosses remind me of BERSERK Apostles.

Plus the setting/plot summary and what I've seen gives me a Fire Emblem/BERSERK vibe.

Probably will pick this up on release.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
100%. Music feels very Fire Emblem to me. I like the battle chanting leading into the Choir Chorus.

MC looking like Marth and having Elf Celica seals the deal for me. Bosses remind me of BERSERK Apostles.

Plus the setting/plot summary and what I've seen gives me a Fire Emblem/BERSERK vibe.

Probably will pick this up on release.
I was already sold but your Berserk comparisons made me even more hyped lol.

I have it preordered, can't wait to jump in but I have to finish SMT V: Vengeance first.

rotorfire

Neo Member
I finished the demo, with about eight hours total played and I'm going to hold off for now. Maybe wait for the Golden/Reloaded version down the line.

I'm in the middle of a P3R replay and so inevitably I'm drawing comparisons to the Persona series. It's hard not to do with so many analogues. The gameplay, combat, job system, gameplay loop (from what we've seen) all do their job, no complaints and plenty of praise. It's the world, art-style and story (so far) that hasn't hooked me, and that's pretty damn important for this sort of game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I haven’t tried the demo, but I cancelled the $150 CE after reading and seeing some of these opinions. It looks like it could be good, but not mind blowing amazing. That’s enough for me to not spend the extra money on the CE. I liked Scarlet Nexus, but I wouldn’t have spent any more money on it. I’m thinking the same thing applies here. It looks good with the setting and characters. If the actual game is just “okay” then I’m not missing out.

Astray

I'm kinda mixed on this demo so far, leaning towards buying it, but unsure if I want to buy it on PS5 or on PC (testing demo on PC rn). PS5 has the benefit of being in my living room and my wife can experience the story with me, but then mods that could improve some of my pain points become out of my grasp.

I've just got done with the Captain boss fight, which seems to be halfway through the mines dungeon.

The art style is kinda weird to me, the game seems to have taken the idea that chromatic aberration on its own is a valid art style, there are so many color filters on, to the point where I get kinda uncomfortable with it, sometimes you have to trust your game vistas to shine on their own.

The graphics also NEED some sort of anti-aliasing solution, everything shimmers constantly like I'm playing on a Switch and it annoys me greatly. Some of the textures look amazing and some look like downright ass and there are times where they're right next to each other which creates a very jarring effect that would have been much minimized if the texture were either entirely awful or entirely good. It's hard to explain unless you play it yourself imo.

Performance was also downright awful until the Special K patch came out too, somehow the game menus managed to chug on a 7800X3D/4090 combo!

The story has a lot of cool shit in it but it also sometimes just outright pauses to deliver what feels like pointless exposition, it has a lot of timeline back and forth early in the game that could have been smoothed over imo. It also really overuses anime cutscenes, some of these scene transitions can be jarring (and unnecessary too, was the flashback scene between the young protag and the prince really necessary to animate? That could have been an in-engine cutscene!).

The music and voice acting are good, as is the localization. The battle music is honestly extremely good, and the Akademia theme music is definitely gonna be my new mobile ringtone..

Dungeon design is ok so far, it's seems that some areas are designed to be revisited (there's a locked door in the tutorial dungeon that I couldn't find a key for).

The battle system is pure fire tho. Very engaging, and the calculus of figuring out which enemies to target for squad battles and which can be taken out in the field is good. I'm just dipping my toes in the Archetype system and it looks like something that's quite engaging too.

With that said, there's a problem with how much the game loves its (admitted cool-looking) menus and screen transitions, like the post-battle screen with the exp etc having unskippable transition animations, and it's kinda annoying to me when I just want to get back to exploring the dungeons or get on with squad battling a monster.

Despite all of my nitpicks above, I actually really, really like this game because it hits a lot of areas that no other JRPG has, I don't think this is gonna be an unequivocal high 80's low 90's Metacritic release like P5/R or P3R were, this is a flawed package that really shines bright in other areas, and thus it screams cult hit to me.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Having never played a modern Persona game before I loved the demo. Even after completing it, I think about It. Even thought of redoing the demo and leveling Archetypes to 20 like other people are doing for release. It does looks like a fucking PS3 game but everything else is scratching an rpg itch I’ve had for quite some time. Maybe it was supposed to be a Switch 2 launch title?

Regardless, hearing some of your opinions on the game makes me feel like I should invest my money and time into other titles from Atlus instead of this. Guess I’ll wait for reviews.

Last edited:
Having never played a modern Persona game before I loved the demo. Even after completing it, I think about It. Even thought of redoing the demo and leveling Archetypes to 20 like other people are doing for release. It does looks like a fucking PS3 game but everything else is scratching an rpg itch I’ve had for quite some time. Maybe it was supposed to be a Switch 2 launch title?

Regardless, hearing some of your opinions on the game makes me feel like I should invest my money and time into other titles from Atlus instead of this. Guess I’ll wait for reviews.
You should re-read what you wrote. “I love this game can’t stop thinking about it but some people say it is bad so maybe I’ll play something else”. Bro just play what you want. Go in blind and stay away from these jaded folks.

That said, Persona 5 is literally a PS3 game ported to the PS4 and it is a masterpiece. It was given away free to PS5 owners. Maybe play that?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The funny thing about persona 5 is that royal in 4k still looks better than most newer Atlus games. P5 is full of details while P3, sh2, smt5 and metaphor are fucking empty most of the time.
It has the advantage of being little spaces and closed areas. Imo SMT V models and lighting look way better.

P3R and specially SH2 look like trash tho.

Last edited:

Raven117

Alright....the story is starting to go somewhere. I can't say Im day 1 here as I just can't take another 80-100 hour game right now, but I'm interested.

rotorfire

Neo Member
Mate, you should absolutely play it. It's a game that was obviously going to be a bit divisive and so if it clicked for you so strongly, great stuff. I'd say you shouldn't weight people coming from Persona (like me) and posts (including mine) too heavily. I'm sure I'll play it down the line. I hope you play it and love it (y)

Go_Ly_Dow

I haven’t tried the demo, but I cancelled the $150 CE after reading and seeing some of these opinions. It looks like it could be good, but not mind blowing amazing. That’s enough for me to not spend the extra money on the CE. I liked Scarlet Nexus, but I wouldn’t have spent any more money on it. I’m thinking the same thing applies here. It looks good with the setting and characters. If the actual game is just “okay” then I’m not missing out.

It's the Atlus A team so I have no doubt. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm just happy it doesn't take place in another High School. I do expect the game to drop us in Tokyo again. It's probably the "Utopia" depicted in the storybook that's mentioned in the Prologue.

Though I think the story will take you there but it'll turn out to be a SMT Hellscape and things will go south very quickly. Looking forward to it.

I already have good feelings about the game so I'll skip the demo as I know I'll just want to play the game and not have to stop. The wait will be terrible.

Little Mac

Gold Member
You should re-read what you wrote. “I love this game can’t stop thinking about it but some people say it is bad so maybe I’ll play something else”. Bro just play what you want. Go in blind and stay away from these jaded folks.

That said, Persona 5 is literally a PS3 game ported to the PS4 and it is a masterpiece. It was given away free to PS5 owners. Maybe play that?

Mate, you should absolutely play it. It's a game that was obviously going to be a bit divisive and so if it clicked for you so strongly, great stuff. I'd say you shouldn't weight people coming from Persona (like me) and posts (including mine) too heavily. I'm sure I'll play it down the line. I hope you play it and love it (y)

Like I said I don't have alot of experience with Persona games and I don't know how this game compares to those. I don't have the free time to invest in several 100+ hour games and would prefer to simply tackle the best that Atlus has to offer but I guess it depends on who you ask.

Regardless, you two bullies are forcing me to preorder Metaphor. I hope you two are happy. You brought this on yourselves!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Is the battle theme really that bad? Didn't really play the demo aside from checking how well it ran on my computer.

I'm currently playing SMT V² which battle themes are one banger after another, I wonder how Metaphor's would compare to those.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is the battle theme really that bad? Didn't really play the demo aside from checking how well it ran on my computer.

I'm currently playing SMT V² which battle themes are one banger after another, I wonder how Metaphor's would compare to those.
Battle theme is better then the minor boss theme. And I believe the Battle Theme has variations between Disadvantage, Normal, and Ambush/Advantage.

The main battle theme seems very similar to FE 3 Houses Fodlan Winds. Mostly the use of the trumpets. And both tracks go into their main melody at the 40 second mark.

Maybe some players don't like the Buddha battle chanting but given the setting I really like it especially during battles with Advantage(Player doing good with Press Turn) the chorus is just amazing. The chanting is just buildup to the main event. To cheer the player on.

I think maybe some were hoping for some SMT battle tracks like these? I think doing something different gives Metaphor it's own personality which is good.

What have you guys been doing on PC to address the jaggies/aliasing.
3 things:
  • Downsampling from 7680x3200 ultrawide
  • 150% internal res scaling in game
  • FXAA forced in the Nvidia control panel game profile
(Locked the game to 40fps, and cropped the images to 16:9 for the forum)

20240930184525-1.jpg

20240930184613-1.jpg

Image quality is excellent with very minimal to no shimmering or aliasing. Game runs locked at 40fps and feels better than 30fps. This is my preferred way to play the game, at least until they improve performance and optimize the game. I'll take the much higher image quality over the extra framerate for this game any day.

NanaMiku

Just tried the demo until the day system was introduced. I just found out that it's literally Persona + SMT in fantasy setting. Kinda dissapointed about that. Now I'm on the fence to buy the game day one or just wait for the inevitable upgrade version.

• Thoughtful
Well, I always did say I wanted more Persona, just with a more mature cast that wasn't high school students, so now I get my wish. There was a moment in the demo where I wanted to shout "PERSONA!" and the narrator was all like "thee" and "thou" and I was all "I am thou, and thou art I".

lol but seriously, the atmosphere and story are winning me over already. Damn it, I was going to wait but Atlus drags me back in. They didn't let me off the hook!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Ok. It should run fine on my PC and laptop. I am running below 2K.
Remember to put the resolution scale and 100% and only increase if the game seems to run fine.

A nice place to test it is in the big desert area that's almost at the start of the game.

nowhat

Played through the demo (on PS5), quite liked it. Persona/SMT in a fantasy setting is fine by me. I think how you're able to get through trash mobs without going into turn-based combat works well. I do wish there was some form of AA though. Really, just anything.

Normally, this would be a preorder. But I may just wait for a sale. Because there inevitably will be a "full" version, yet again at full price and with no upgrade path, and frankly I'm sick of it.

Top Bottom