• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio Demo is dropping today on Consoles and Steam at 9 AM/11AM PT

StereoVsn

You can purchase a physical copy for the PS4 from VGP. They're a good video game retailer who ships both domestically (US/Canada) and abroad.

Pf1FVTu.png
Yep, VGP is great and I buy from them or Play Asia quite often for regions outside NA and Europe.

Stafford

What is the demo called on Xbox? Because i clicked the link from the Xbox store and then on Xbox I should be able to find the demo. But when I search Metaphor I don't see the demo, only the two different editions of the full game.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And it has English subs?

I believe so, cannot confirm firsthand, still downloading (60 fuckin GB).

What is the demo called on Xbox? Because i clicked the link from the Xbox store and then on Xbox I should be able to find the demo. But when I search Metaphor I don't see the demo, only the two different editions of the full game.

It's not live on the Western storefronts yet, the HK link should allow you to download it though.

TjiMhGQ.png

Last edited:

Stafford

I believe so, cannot confirm firsthand, still downloading (60 fuckin GB).

It's not live on the Western storefronts yet, the HK link should allow you to download it though.

The problem is, on the site it says "install to" and then it should show my Xbox, but it shows nothing, the "launch" button is greyed out and can only choose cancel. Normally once I've clicked on "free" it becomes visible on my Xbox too. Not this time.

jsobMch.jpeg

adamsapple

The problem is, on the site it says "install to" and then it should show my Xbox, but it shows nothing, the "launch" button is greyed out and can only choose cancel. Normally once I've clicked on "free" it becomes visible on my Xbox too. Not this time.

jsobMch.jpeg

Hmm, that's weird.

Hopefully the US branch wakes up soon.

adamsapple

Alright.

Can confirm firsthand that the HK demo does include English text and English VO.

edit: and the link is now live on US XBL, should be coming up on PSN any moment now.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Alright.

Can confirm firsthand that the HK demo does include English text and English VO.

edit: and the link is now live on US XBL, should be coming up on PSN any moment now.

why would you want to play with English VO though ?

adamsapple

why would you want to play with English VO though ?

Atlus localizations are pretty decent.

Also, played 10~ minutes and I am a bit torn.

Music is excellent, game play seems fine.

But the visuals are a mixed bag, leaning more towards the negative.

The IQ is notably worse than P3 Reload, very aliased, very shimmery. Looks like this is running somewhere between 1080p~1440p with little to no anti aliasing.

It also looks like there's a sharpening filter applied to the image.

Will download the PS5 demo later and see if it's the same there.

Some direct captures from the SX version:

LWv2urs.jpeg

29UaR78.jpeg

ZKO7cNX.jpeg

oGo3Adh.jpeg

WgNC6a7.jpeg

I was interested and gonna preorder but on Steam with tax this comes out to nearly $100 CAD -- I just can't justify that high cost for one game I'm not 100% sold on that's rocking decidedly last-gen visuals. Plus it's Sega / Atlus and you know it'll be 40% off consistently by Christmas.

Will probably try the demo at least though and watch for the reviews.

amigastar

I wonder how long the Demo is, the game is supposed to be over 100 hours long so the demo should be longer than some full price games.

Rambone

I am definitely excited to play this. Looking forward to getting home and getting the download fired up on steam.

Loved what I saw, but it runs like absolute ass on the steam deck, while also looking like ass. What a bummer.
If it could even hold 30fps, I’d be into it, but it goes sub-20. Bah.

Flabagast

30 minutes in and so far I just wanted to say that I love that this game has an "Active Time Lore" equivalent. Probably one of my favorite features in FFXVI, and I'm glad other RPGs have taken note.
does the active time lore work well, is it only tied to the current convo or is a the full codex ? is there a timer on the demo ?

Oberstein

The whole concept of the game is interesting, and the art direction is pretty incredible and fresh, but technically it's painfully dated.

Makes you wonder why it's not coming out on Switch... it could have run just as well.

Last edited:
Well I played a bit, skipped through the story cuz Ill watch that when I play the full game, I dont resume stuff from demos, but performance is abysmal to say the least? In the open area, the desert, frames drop to 40 on a 4070TI and the game is not a good looking one either. The graphical settings low/high/etc. only change upscaling? Kinda stupid, even with 125% that first area tanks like a bitch. After that its at around 100 but still pretty bad considering my gpu and how the game looks. Moving on to the rest, I dunno, flashy UI and nice music, but the UI stuff might get annoying consdiering its 100+ hours and half the screen is UI stuff. Combat seems pretty basic so far...and Im just not seeing how it can get deeper as of now, might be wrong here. I certainly lost my hype about it and I might consider waiting for a sale on PC. I have a ton of games anyway, will see. oh and yeah considering how the first dungeon should make a good impression, its fucking bad from a level design/visual point of view. So far Im not feeling the magic like I did with Persona and the setting feels like Ive seen it a million times already. Fantasy world, king gets murdered by douchy dude, things go bad. Eh. Im sure certain users here dont care and buy stuff without a second thought but thats my two cents.

EDIT: https://steamcommunity.com/app/2679460/discussions/0/ based on the discussions, seems like the port is overall doodoo. Havent tried the PS5 version tho. Ill try it later.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I just downloaded it remotely to my ps5. Will check it out later today. Octopath Traveler 1 and 2 are on sale on PSN … also Unicorn Overlord too … Dragon Quest 3 is around the corner as well as Dragon’s Age Veilguard. I’m drowning … don’t know what to pick up.

adamsapple

Played a bit of the demo on PS5 as well. Visually, no difference from Xbox, at least nothing I can pin point. Same aliased looking image and worse IQ than Persona 3 Reload.

The load times feel like they're the same as well with maybe a quarter of a second difference.

However, it feels like inside the city the Xbox version is losing more frames. PS5 is smoother in the city area. Otherwise the barren initial world feels like it runs locked on both.

The demo is also much smaller on PS5. 25GB vs 50GB on Xbox.

SX top - PS5 bottom

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Played a bit of the demo on PS5 as well. Visually, no difference from Xbox, at least nothing I can pin point. Same aliased looking image and worse IQ than Persona 3 Reload.

The load times feel like they're the same as well with maybe a quarter of a second difference.

However, it feels like inside the city the Xbox version is losing more frames. PS5 is smoother in the city area. Otherwise the barren initial world feels like it runs locked on both.

The demo is also much smaller on PS5. 25GB vs 50GB on Xbox.

SX top - PS5 bottom

That Kraken compression tech.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The Cockatrice The Cockatrice what's your rendering resolution and scale set at?

I'm running it at 4K native with scale set at 100% and get rock solid 60fps on the first desert area with the worms and lions. Is there where you are getting the low framerates?

For reference, I have a 5800X, 4070 Super and 16GB of RAM. I have the suspicion that those complaining about performance might be trying to run the game at an internal res of 8K.

Edit: ok forget it, the next area runs like shit lol.

The port really sucks. Barely any graphical options, and the audio device detection seems fucked.

Hope they fix it before release, but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Weird they didn't just use UE4 for this like they did for Persona 3.

UE4 has its share of issues with bigger zones / open world, this game's scope is way bigger than anything in the last bunch of Persona games. Probably one of the key reasons.

But, yeah, I can't help but keep noticing how P3 Reload released just a few months ago has such better IQ.

29UaR78.jpeg

1TrQkfK.jpeg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Art style 10/10, technology 0/10 lol. Game looks cool but it also seems like it should run on a PS3, SMT V is miles better in that regard.

I also like in hard difficulty enemies has more press turn.
Every enemy? Or the biggers ones like in SMT V? Sounds cool anyway, always up for the challenge.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Art style 10/10, technology 0/10 lol. Game looks cool but it also seems like it should run on a PS3, SMT V is miles better in that regard.

Every enemy? Or the biggers ones like in SMT V? Sounds cool anyway, always up for the challenge.
I am going to wait and see if Atlus bothers fixing PC release post launch.

As always, Day 1 disappointment will be apparent. On the plus side I can just pick this up for 30-40% off come Black Friday I am sure.

The Cockatrice The Cockatrice what's your rendering resolution and scale set at?

I'm running it at 4K native with scale set at 100% and get rock solid 60fps on the first desert area with the worms and lions. Is there where you are getting the low framerates?

For reference, I have a 5800X, 4070 Super and 16GB of RAM. I have the suspicion that those complaining about performance might be trying to run the game at an internal res of 8K.

Edit: ok forget it, the next area runs like shit lol.

The port really sucks. Barely any graphical options, and the audio device detection seems fucked.

Hope they fix it before release, but I'm not optimistic.

1440p and it was at 125% scale or something. Tried even 100% and it went a bit up to 60 but..cmon..4070ti only 60 fps on persona engine? :(

TintoConCasera

I am going to wait and see if Atlus bothers fixing PC release post launch.

As always, Day 1 disappointment will be apparent. On the plus side I can just pick this up for 30-40% off come Black Friday I am sure.
I feel so stupid for preordering this man. Got a key for 50€ so I can't refund either.

1440p and it was at 125% scale or something. Tried even 100% and it went a bit up to 60 but..cmon..4070ti only 60 fps on persona engine? :(
It's ridiculous, game should run much better than it does. One of the, if not the most shitty port I've seen in quite a while.

There's even a crappy menu for quitting to desktop which looks like it was put together in like 5 minutes by an intern.

Last edited:

Renoir

This game is pretty . Love how they styled the menus.
Intro was nuts. Playing on PC . no stutters of hiccups so far.

that part about the "Quit" menu made by interns lol

ap9VA6N.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom