• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio Demo is dropping today on Consoles and Steam at 9 AM/11AM PT

iorek21

Played about an hour of the demo. Apart from some issues already mentioned here, my biggest gripe is with dialogue.

I think this demo has already more unvoiced dialogue than the entirety of P3 Reload... which is a shame.

StereoVsn

This game is pretty . Love how they styled the menus.
Intro was nuts. Playing on PC . no stutters of hiccups so far.

that part about the "Quit" menu made by interns lol

ap9VA6N.jpeg
Hey, go easy on Tanaka. He just got hired out of Tier 3 college. At least Atlus didn’t pay more than ¥150 yen for the labor on this text box.

😉

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This game is pretty . Love how they styled the menus.
Intro was nuts. Playing on PC . no stutters of hiccups so far.

that part about the "Quit" menu made by interns lol

ap9VA6N.jpeg
I can guarantee you, it looked even worse than that on my TV, much smaller and like the buttons had no padding at all. :goog_relieved:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I can guarantee you, it looked even worse than that on my TV, much smaller and like the buttons had no padding at all. :goog_relieved:
Are you guys talking about PC version? I'm playing on my PS5 and honestly I dont much issue with performance or image quality.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Are you guys talking about PC version? I'm playing on my PS5 and honestly I dont much issue with performance or image quality.
Yeah. Usually devs have to add an option to exit to quit the game that's usually not present on consoles. In this game, that option looks super cheap, which is kinda funny specially in contrast with how cool all the other UI elements look.

Performance on PC is quite poor too, which is a shame. How does it run on consoles?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah. Usually devs have to add an option to exit to quit the game that's usually not present on consoles. In this game, that option looks super cheap, which is kinda funny specially in contrast with how cool all the other UI elements look.

Performance on PC is quite poor too, which is a shame. How does it run on consoles?
To me console performance pretty solid so far but then again compare to most people GAF I'm not biggest tech expert......I'm just looking at my screen and it looks good to me.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Playing the demo on PS5, but just started it. It runs at 50 - 60fps during action phase and at 120fps in the menus lol.

vkbest

PS4 version in PS5 looks like 60fps locked but at lower resolution. Even in my Full HD tv they both looks worse than Persona 5 in my old PS3

Last edited:

cireza

I don't think I have ever seen a more bloated interface. This is insufferable. Also the text window constantly moving is incredibly distracting.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The game seems good and all but for some reason the devs made the camera constantly slowly shake left-right-up-down, it's making me nauseous. When I got to town I also noticed it was causing a ton a shimmering artifacts on the buildings which are straining my eyes and giving me a headache. The animations surrounding the chat boxes also don't help as they're very distracting while trying to read. Anybody else having issues like this?

Last edited:

Killer8

Not gonna lie, I actually find the game extremely ugly. The UI presentation is fantastic as usual (it's Atlus after all) but the visual makeup itself looks like a bunch of poorly applied Reshade filters and the image quality is dogshit on PS5.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not gonna lie, I actually find the game extremely ugly. The UI presentation is fantastic as usual (it's Atlus after all) but the visual makeup itself looks like a bunch of poorly applied Reshade filters and the image quality is dogshit on PS5.

Did you also feel like there's a sharpening filter applied to the image, most notable in the city?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Atlus was never good making aliasing work in their games, thats y IQ looks horrible in Atlus games nowadays.

This case feels a bit more extreme than just bad / no anti aliasing.

Look at this cross-section, this is not zoomed in at all, this is just a crop of a full view.

This looks a lot more egregious than just dark outlines like you see in cel-shaded games, reminds me of Killer Instinct's sharpening filter on XBO back when it came out.

Z8EHtvf.png

near

Gold Member

Look at this cross-section, this is not zoomed in at all, this is just a crop of a full view.

This looks a lot more egregious than just dark outlines like you see in cel-shaded games, reminds me of Killer Instinct's sharpening filter on XBO back when it came out.

Z8EHtvf.png
Is that a PS5 screenshot?

Killer8

Did you also feel like there's a sharpening filter applied to the image, most notable in the city?

Hard to tell because of all the filters. If I stand close to the TV, sometimes I think I can spot some sharpening halo artifacts but it could just be the visuals.

I think it's more of the shock factor of seeing a game with antiquated anti-aliasing. We have been spoiled by TAA.

Fun experiment: setting the PS5 to 1080p and then setting my LG C1's sharpening to 10 so its edge enhancement kicks in (which is a form of AA) results in some smoother edges. But I think the image overall looks worse as it all becomes blurrier due to the lower resolution.

Go_Ly_Dow

So, honestly not concerned about the graphics they look good to me....story, gameplay, music? Good or....?
I played about 30mins and got to the first city and was really digging it. For me it stands out from the sea of games coming our way. It looks like Atlus have gone all out creating a new world and it felt fresh. I didn't do any battles but for the story and music I wouldn't expect anything less than Atlus's best effort.

I stopped playing because I thought best to wait for the full release - which I'll be picking up day 1!

Last edited:

Z8EHtvf.png

I was going to try it on PS5 since the PC port is broken, but that just looks even worse. I dont thik ATLUS worked on the technical aspects of this game. Their engine might be shit but P5 ran like a miracle. Also the sprinting blur is worse than FF16's blur at launch. Who the fuck in the dev team saw that shit and said "yeah it looks amazing to see nothing on the screen". I always assumed better hardware would push Japanese devs to make games better looking but seems to me their games look exactly the same as 10 years ago and run much worse. Man, I was really hyped for this.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Game runs like such ass on PC it's unbelievable.

Goes without saying if you only have a steam deck don't bother. Which is a shame because that's where I play all my jrpg's.

If you have a steam deck your best bet is not running anything on day 1 IMO.

Give it a few months and it likely will be fine enough.

Mercador

I was interested and gonna preorder but on Steam with tax this comes out to nearly $100 CAD -- I just can't justify that high cost for one game I'm not 100% sold on that's rocking decidedly last-gen visuals. Plus it's Sega / Atlus and you know it'll be 40% off consistently by Christmas.

Will probably try the demo at least though and watch for the reviews.
108$ with tax in Qc... I guess I'll wait a bit. Game is fine but I'm motion sick just reading the subtitles because it moves all the time. Framerate was really weird in the first desert scene and controller goes wild sometimes, after keyboard input. But I had a similar problem with Persona 5 Royal.

TintoConCasera

Reading a lot people comparing it to Digital Devil Saga makes me happy and even more hyped.

Hope they get the feedback from the demo and improve performance and IQ for the final release.

Top Bottom