• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metaphor: ReFantazio Demo is dropping today on Consoles and Steam at 9 AM/11AM PT

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Reading a lot people comparing it to Digital Devil Saga makes me happy and even more hyped.

Hope they get the feedback from the demo and improve performance and IQ for the final release.
Aside the issue people have with performance and picture quality, the actual game and story is great in my opinion.

I also usually play in JP voice but to me they did great job with English voices and in my opinion the English voice fits setting better.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Nice gifs mate. The words "brat" and "correction" come to mind.

Do you mean that type of correction? 👀

smirk dwight GIF

Is that what you mean?

Stop Looking Peeping Tom GIF by CBS

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Aside the issue people have with performance and picture quality, the actual game and story is great in my opinion.

I also usually play in JP voice but to me they did great job with English voices and in my opinion the English voice fits setting better.
Glad to read that you are enjoying it! And I agree, I like using JP audio when a game is set in Tokyo but this one being more medieval-fantasy, I think I'll go for english too specially since the very little I've seen of it seems more than OK.

Do you mean that type of correction? 👀

smirk dwight GIF

Is that what you mean?

Stop Looking Peeping Tom GIF by CBS
walter white GIF

Danjin44

Glad to read that you are enjoying it! And I agree, I like using JP audio when a game is set in Tokyo but this one being more medieval-fantasy, I think I'll go for english too specially since the very little I've seen of it seems more than OK.
Especially Strohl's english voice actor really did solid performance here.
Metaphor-Refantazio-2-157x300.png

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This demo pretty much sold me on the game. Maybe not for $70, but definitely $50 or 60. Its similar to past stuff but a lot better. Interesting story and world. Battles are pretty snappy.

Still early so I want to see what the real gameplay loop looks like with the traveling and time passage. Thats usually where I tend to lose interest.

Mercador

The game seems good and all but for some reason the devs made the camera constantly slowly shake left-right-up-down, it's making me nauseous. When I got to town I also noticed it was causing a ton a shimmering artifacts on the buildings which are straining my eyes and giving me a headache. The animations surrounding the chat boxes also don't help as they're very distracting while trying to read. Anybody else having issues like this?
Same here, got an headache after playing for ~2h, same feeling sea sick reading the subtitles that moves nonstop. Welp, I'll wait for the Metaphor S with UI options, I can't believe we're the two only person that feel that way.

Little Mac

Gold Member
For someone who has never played persona before (other than the original way back when) … how does this compare? Loving the combat, ui, and music of Metaphor. I’ll say the graphics outside of the portraits and menus feel a little dated though imo.

I’m currently at the entrance to the mines in the demo. I’m gonna play more tomorrow. I’m liking it so far.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For someone who has never played persona before (other than the original way back when) … how does this compare? Loving the combat, ui, and music of Metaphor. I’ll say the graphics outside of the portraits and menus feel a little dated imo.

I’m currently at the entrance to the mines in the demo. I’m gonna play more. I’m liking it so far.

This is very unlike the modern Persona games, it's a lot more of a grand fantasy RPG where the Persona games are part dungeon crawlers, part life-simulators.

StereoVsn

PC performance issues really look unfortunate. Hopefully they will get fixed post release in a reasonable timeframe. There is no way Atlus is going to patch this up in a month for full release.

Otherwise the game itself looks good judging by comments and previews.

iorek21

Played some more of it, still not sold on the game. I mean, it's great and I'll probably play it but it feels like it has less quality and overall polish than P3 Reload. The level design is uninspired when compared to P5, music is a mixed bag, we have less voiced lines this time around, the archetypes design are lackluster...

It'll probably improve by the 20h mark, but Persona usually takes a few hours to grab your attention. I know it's not Persona, but I was expecting a little more from the same dev team.

Also, PC performance is pretty bad.

Flabagast

So, honestly not concerned about the graphics they look good to me....story, gameplay, music? Good or....?
Amazing. Ultra lore heavy RPG that seems to start in a run of a mill tropey fantasy setting, but you understand very quickly that something WILD is most probably running under the hood.

Charismatic characters right off the bat, and the story seems much darker and heavy than I thought.

When the regular combat music kicks in with that crazy male chorus, it’s really something else.

I think we are in for a treat boys

Danjin44

Holly shit that second boss man’s face with bird body did number on me.

The boss first buff himself then attacks and even I put my characters in front row on guard they still lot of damage. I’m glad to see this game is not going be easy like Persona series were.

jimmypython

My 7950x3D and RTX4080 super PC runs good enough for me at 3840x2160 resolution with 100% scaling. I enjoyed the premise. But probably will wait for a "FES/Golden/Royal/Maniax/Vengeance" release for this one.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Played about an hour and a half, and wifey had played a bit further, I am basically sold. Xbox/PC cross buy means I can buy one copy for both of us which makes life easier too.

I'm really impressed with the production values especially. Usually Atlus games that aren't Personal feel a notch down in terms of budget (understandably given they sell a fraction), but this feels very AAA, like it's clear Atlus wants this to be a major IP.

PC performance issues really look unfortunate. Hopefully they will get fixed post release in a reasonable timeframe. There is no way Atlus is going to patch this up in a month for full release.

Otherwise the game itself looks good judging by comments and previews.
Yeah it could be so easily fixed by DLSS implementation or some decent AA. You could super sample it to 200% but the game is pretty heavy so it noticeably hurts the frame rate.

I am playing on my TV at 60Hz so I have the overhead, but it's dumb how a game could have no real AA in 2024.

Ferdimage

Just fired up the Steam version and watched the intro in Jp and Eng VA.
I must admit English suits the game better.
Gonna be my first preferred English VA for an Atlus game.

Danjin44

Can you elaborate the zero cringe? FFVII Rebirth had cringy moments with Yuffie and the Chadley twins along with some other moments. Is the tone here more serious?
I would say so, to the point I’m surprised this game is not rated “M”.

Literally beginning of the game you see people getting publicly executed.

I was hyped for this game but after playing the demo my hype through the roof.

I’m loving story and characters, the music is FANTASTIC, combat is great really nice difficulty. This is everything I hoped.

foamdino

The boy played it for about 15 mins last night just to get a feel and he was in love with it. "Better than P5" was his reaction. I love the art style and I didn't notice any issues with perf etc. Looks like it runs very stably (~60fps).

Danjin44

The synergy attacks are can be really good but also super risky to use because some them used two of your press turn......Thats how should be fucking done!

Good skill needs to be risky to use, unlike Persona 3 Reload's Theurgy which just destroy's the game's difficulty from already easy game to piss easy.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Idk how long this demo is but I’ve played 4 hours so far and past the point I thought would be the inevitable cut off point.

This game has exceeded my expectations so far, and seriously saved me from a gaming depression rut.

I was on the verge of just quitting the hobby altogether aside from fromsoft releases.

Thank you Atlus.

Dynasty8

Idk how long this demo is but I’ve played 4 hours so far and past the point I thought would be the inevitable cut off point.

This game has exceeded my expectations so far, and seriously saved me from a gaming depression rut.

I was on the verge of just quitting the hobby altogether aside from fromsoft releases.

Thank you Atlus.

Those are the worst. I've been there a number of times, Warhammer helped me get out of it. As a FromSoft fan myself, what did you enjoy from this demo? Cause I'm still on the fence. I feel like nothing can revive that enjoyment I used to have for JRPGs back in the SNES-PS2 days.

GHG

If you have a steam deck your best bet is not running anything on day 1 IMO.

Give it a few months and it likely will be fine enough.

In this instance it isn't due to Linux optimisations though. It also runs like shit (comparative to what it looks like) on my 4090 rig.

It feels like they've done nothing in the way of optimisation here on the PC version, hopefully that changes between now and launch.

Last edited:
Same here, got an headache after playing for ~2h, same feeling sea sick reading the subtitles that moves nonstop. Welp, I'll wait for the Metaphor S with UI options, I can't believe we're the two only person that feel that way.
That sucks, because my biggest issue with P5 was Joker running in a circle during the battle summary, always running clockwise around the camera and that made me a bit queasy in the repetition.

GHG

Turns out they fucked up the directX implementation on PC:

The fix is there in case anyone else wants to give it a go. I won't be able to until later.

The author of SpecialK also had this to say on the game:

No, it's just really, really, really bad threading code.
I can't stress the really enough.

The worst code I've ever looked at in a profiler. If they ship the game this way, lord help you.

I threw together a patch to remove the bulk of the bad stuff they're doing, extract this to the game's directory and it'll become playable.

https://sk-data.special-k.info/misc/SK_MetaphorFix.7z

I'll put more work into this before the retail game ships. See the Special K Discord for more info

Last edited:

Danjin44

I’m playing on hard and this game can be tough, even in SMTV you can give some money to recover some MP but here I’m severely running short on supplies and even items and weapons actually quite expensive to get.

Edit: I’m surprised how this game managed to keep T rating…..corpses and blood everywhere in the dungeon, even in the city body of dead homeless people are every corner of city….this game is damn bleak at times.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Sad how technically bad the game is, large downgrade over P3:R. Lets hope this is the last game that ships on their in-game engine and they use Unreal Engine going forward.

GHG

Sad how technically bad the game is, large downgrade over P3:R. Lets hope this is the last game that ships on their in-game engine and they use Unreal Engine going forward.

I don't think unreal engine will make things better considering the technical incompetence on display here.

Xyphie

I don't think unreal engine will make things better considering the technical incompetence on display here.

Both P3:R and SMTV is a lot better than this with UE4 though. I don't really expect Atlus to ship some technical masterpiece but it should at least be on par with products that they've shipped in recent years. Decisions like not shipping a game with any AA in 2024 is just baffling.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

The story and lore so far is a colossal improvement over Persona.

I’m playing on hard and this game can be tough, even in SMTV you can give some money to recover some MP but here I’m severely running short on supplies and even items and weapons actually quite expensive to get.

Edit: I’m surprised how this game managed to keep T rating…..corpses and blood everywhere in the dungeon, even in the city body of dead homeless people are every corner of city….this game is damn bleak at times.
So refreshing after so many cozy RPGs and people exploring their basic emotions despite being adults.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Yeah, lol, I actually wanted to bring this up, because I was surprised about the amount of violence & blood in the game (not that I'm complaining mind you, lol).

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Yup this game is damn dark with blood, public execution and freaky looking human monster….god damn!
Yeah, I'm loving how dark an unforgiving the world is (shit is really fucked up in the "United Kingdom" of Euchronia). That said, I wonder who they bribed from ESRB to get the rating down to Teen for the game. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom