• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kamspy said:
WHY HASN'T MY NEWEGG ORDER SHIPPED!!!1

Seriously, if they shipped mine from Kentucky today I'd have it tomorrow!

I think they try to time it so that it won't arrive early. My ETA is the 16th, but Newegg tends to move fast so I'm hoping for Monday.

panda21

brain_stew said:
Why would even consider buying it through Steam anyway? Its a Steamworks title and can be had for as little as £21.50 online, you've got nothing to gain by paying £30 or £35 through Steam.

if its a steamworks title doesnt it need to be on steam to be able to play it full stop? ie if its out in retail then it will be out on steam. but its disappeared from steam, as did AC2 and SH5, and Valve pretty much confirmed both are never coming out on steam for the UK. i'm guessing it wasnt some weird legal thing because of the DRM as direct2drive are selling it here, so it seems something is amiss with steam in the UK :(

as for pricing i thought it was £25 on steam when it was still there, and i'm lazy and my post goes missing way too often to order stuff online.

Volcynika

vocab said:
My order shipped, and it's already in transit to my city. So tomorrow maybe.

Don't UPS not deliver on Saturdays? (I just don't remember them doing that for my orders, so correct me if I'm mistaken on that)

vocab

Volcynika said:
Don't UPS not deliver on Saturdays? (I just don't remember them doing that for my orders, so correct me if I'm mistaken on that)

If that's the case, Monday it is then.

Bi50N

Ricker said:
The thing im wondering about the combat...I noticed in most of the Video`s,there`s no crosshair,maybe there`s an option to add a crosshair,to make it easier or something...personnaly I don`t really like no crosshair for aiming...still all the rest seems good enough to overcome the sluggish gunplay,still getting this.

It's an option. It just makes the trailers look better if you turn it off.

I prefer to play with it off partly so your screen is totally hud-free, but probably because I'm a massive GoldenEye fan who feels right at home with it off...

S1kkZ

something is wrong with the english voice track. all the chatter in the background is way too loud, sometimes its impossible to understand the person that is talking directly to you.

the soundmix is really messed up: i walked through a corridor and wanted to listen to some guys talking about their families. i couldnt hear them, because of a woman down the corridor. her voice and the other voices had the exact same sound level. its like 5 people talking together at the same time.

this really hurts the atmosphere.

S1kkZ said:
something is wrong with the english voice track. all the chatter in the background is way too loud, sometimes its impossible to understand the person that is talking directly to you.

the soundmix is really messed up: i walked through a corridor and wanted to listen to some guys talking about their families. i couldnt hear them, because of a woman down the corridor. her voice and the other voices had the exact same sound level. its like 5 people talking together at the same time.

this really hurts the atmosphere.

360 version?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
S1kkZ said:
yep. i only have a 2.1 system, but i had no problems like this in the last 3 years.
That sucks man. I'm using 2.1 too, so I guess I should be careful. Maybe my CMSS 3D thing on my X-Fi will be able to turn their 5.1 mix into 2.1 for me? I dunno.

Dennis

Banned
Bi50N said:
It's an option. It just makes the trailers look better if you turn it off.

I prefer to play with it off partly so your screen is totally hud-free, but probably because I'm a massive GoldenEye fan who feels right at home with it off...
Huzzah!!

No HUD, no HUD, rejoice!

And what kinda pussy plays with crosshairs, anyway? Iron sights - only way to play.

It annoys me no end that BFBC2 have crosshairs in the SP campaign.

twdnewh_k

brain_stew said:
Why would even consider buying it through Steam anyway? Its a Steamworks title and can be had for as little as £21.50 online, you've got nothing to gain by paying £30 or £35 through Steam.

Steamworks titles can be downloaded through steam with retail serial keys ? no need for disc then ?

Bi50N

Kabuki Waq said:
fuck sucks about the combat being crap. :( I am not one of those atmosphere over gameplay guys so it may be a deal breaker for me. Although their comments about the level design gives me hope. wait for more reviews i guess.

Although this is a quote from the 360 Gamer review...

"Some of the best-executed first-person firefighting seen in any game"

So go figure!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I haven't checked my Steam for a couple days, but when is this available for loading? I preordered a while back.

Also, this game needs more hype. Come on PS3 fanboys, adopt this game as one of your own!

Bloodsent

So close....

Target in Milwaukee, WI had the PC version on the shelf, but they wouldn't sell it to me. Why can't I ever be one of the lucky people who get the checkout girl who couldn't give a rat's ass......

GHG

Gold Member
chespace said:
I haven't checked my Steam for a couple days, but when is this available for loading? I preordered a while back.

Also, this game needs more hype. Come on PS3 fanboys, adopt this game as one of your own!

Huh?

chespace said:

Eh............you might have some difficulty convincing them of that.

I'm actually surprised the Xbox brigade aren't going crazy over it. They finally have a game with graphics in the same league as (or better than) KZ2 and UC2, you'd think they'd have adopted it as their saviour or something given that.

Dyno

DennisK4 said:
No HUD, no HUD, rejoice!

And what kinda pussy plays with crosshairs, anyway? Iron sights - only way to play.

Yeah I love games that do this. I can't bear to trade in Killzone 2 because of that feature.

chespace

GHG said:

I'm trying to incite the most rabid of the rabid to virally promote this game.

Metro needs all the love it can get in a sea of FFXIII, BC2 and GOW3.

Also, no answer to my question: when is the official release date for this game on Steam?

Today? Tomorrow?

chespace said:

The PS3 brigade are pretty damn crazy, but I've never seen them go batshit insane about a game that isn't coming to their system of choice.

golem

chespace said:

Also, no answer to my question: when is the official release date for this game on Steam?

Today? Tomorrow?
4 days 1 hr according to steam :/

From steam forums:
Bi50N
[0 - 99 posts]

We're aiming to offer pre-load. Should be starting this weekend, but can't promise!
Bi50N is offline Reply With Quote

chespace

brain_stew said:
The PS3 brigade are pretty damn crazy, but I've never seen them go batshit insane about a game that isn't coming to their system of choice.

Hahaha, damn, nevermind, I thought this game was coming out for all platforms. :p

In retrospect, my post must've sounded pretty batshit. Sorry for the confusion.

S1kkZ

played till chapter 5. the game is pretty awesome, very intense atmosphere (the best post apocalyptic atmo in any video game imo).

graphics are great (great textures, lots of detail) but the human faces look awful.

the combot is fine: if you fight against humans (chapter 3 was awesome). however, fighting the monsters is not that great, feels to hectic.

the sound problems i had at the beginning get better later on. still needs a patch.

Rat Salad

Banned
brain_stew said:

How soon we forget?
Left4dead had them making asses of themselves.
:lol

FrankT

S1kkZ said:
played till chapter 5. the game is pretty awesome, very intense atmosphere (the best post apocalyptic atmo in any video game imo).

graphics are great (great textures, lots of detail) but the human faces look awful.

the combot is fine: if you fight against humans (chapter 3 was awesome). however, fighting the monsters is not that great, feels to hectic.

the sound problems i had at the beginning get better later on. still needs a patch.

That would be awesome if so. The faces are probably the one place where I thought it could use some work from what I've seen to date.

You can now pre-load! Restart your steam.

Steam is saying it's a 7.4GB download.

brain stew said:

Well for one, you get a free copy of Red Faction.

chespace

wormstrangler said:
You can now pre-load! Restart your steam.

Steam is saying it's a 7.4GB download.

Well for one, you get a free copy of Red Faction.

Yes, that's why I bought on Steam.

And yay for pre-load.

Just found out I've got a 360 copy coming to me as well.

<3

adelante

S1kkZ said:

I get where the combat complaints are coming from because I did notice before in some of the videos that the hit animation isn't as satisfying as other games (in one of the Black Station walkthrough vids, you see an enemy not reacting to bullets being pumped into him until he suddenly collapses). Minor gripe I suppose...

Don't mind hectic either as long as the controls themselves are solid (love MW2 and BFBC2).

I know the 360 version has nearly half the amount of sounds as PC's, but I do wonder though if they've had to sacrifice that much for 3D mixing too. Nevertheless, can't wait to play this with my turtlebeach X41 headset!!

MiniDitka

adelante said:
Another review's up: GameReactor gave it 7/10

http://www.gamereactor.se/recensioner/21523/Metro+2033/

Now if only I can read, what is that....Swedish?

This is what I got.

Dmitry Glukhovsky critically acclaimed book has become part of the game signed team behind Stalker. A sliding happy Petter Hegevall lived the life that luspank survivor, 18-storey underground ...

Forgive me, Dmitry Glukhovsky. I never read your book. I was never part of your (apparently) gripping tale of a future Moscow devastated by nuclear war. But the game based on your book, I just played through. And in the absence of another thought, I now buy your book to learn more. The World of Metro 2033 interests me. It makes me curious and scared at the same time. Atmospheric is only the first name.

The developers behind Metro 2033 is a new studio named 4A Games. The core group is made up of defectors from the Russian studio, GSC Game World behind S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. In fact, Metro 2033 partly based on the same technology that forms the basis for the graphics in Shadow of Chernobyl.

Metro 2033 However, a game based on entirely different premises than STALKER While the former was a large action-RPG with great freedom and ambitious basic elements are Metro 2033 Instead, an ultra-linear and often old fashioned action game where everything revolves around the atmosphere, not unlike the presentation of the Bioshock.

For even if Metro 2033 clearly suffers from some annoying problems, you can not ignore that it is atmospheric, exciting and atmospheric in a way that very few games in the genre is. The claustrophobic feeling of being stuck in a world of war, death and hungry mutants are always present, and repeatedly reminds the subway system in Moscow on the Rapture.

Metro, the world is divided into sections, and it is huge. Each course covers a section and each section of the Metro has its own character. Communist Part of the underground city, for example, quite different from the neo-Nazi. This creates a variation that I simply did not believe that a game covered in soil could contain.

The feeling of being completely left out in a world where hope has already been lost is a strong one. Much of the game in terms Metro 2033 revolves around sneaking when the weapons are few, weak and often empty of ammunition. The character you control named Artyom and are equally unsure of their own destiny as man himself is after having spent the first hour down among the monsters and trigger-happy Nazis. Ammunition is hard, everyone wants access to the valuable military ammunition can be found down in the underground base deepest catacombs and during the adventure, you can use it to find the currency to buy new weapons, or other vital equipment.

The actual firing of Metro 2033 is far from the game's strongest side. In fact, the gun battles are often the most boring moments while stealth elements and the more dynamically designed pieces where you have to solve various puzzles less - is the best. As in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. are the weapons Fjose pale and devoid of the pressures that exist there in krutpåkarna in such Killzone 2 or Half-Life 2. That the ammunition all the time runs out also makes it pretty soon hölstrar their GAT and instead try to sneak past the enemy.

On his left arm bears Artyom an old clock that not only shows when the filter in gas masks that we wear is getting bad - but also explains how visible you are the enemy. When the green lamp lights up at the clock, you are virtually invisible and can easily sneak past the whole shoot-outs while the red indicates that the Nazis, Communists or mutants have noticed one and now intends to turn Artyom into a pile of bones.

Most of Metro 2033 unfolding underground. It travels through the narrow alleyways, with the cart on the rusty tunnelbanerälsar or crawl through pitch-black andes valve drums. 4A Games has really been able to build a credible and atmospheric game world that takes hold of one and refuses to let go. Each time you reach a market or a small village damask of the computer-controlled characters who sing, drink vodka and trying to make a hack to sell Found through the rubble. One can see that the developers ogle pretty well on both Bioshock and Fallout 3 in the design of the game world, and ultimately very successful outcome.

Another thing Metro 2033 does very well is that it inspires me to want to explore, even though I know that drooling mutants may well be waiting around the corner at me. It brought a curiosity that often drives me forward and Metro 2033 refuses to hold your hand through the adventure, as in the example Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. There are no flashing vägvisarpil or stupid hints that pop up on screen was the 12th second. There is no instant self-healing system for your health when Metro 2033 throws up a number, PC-typical and old school-scented (game-related) concepts that feels welcome.

As in the case Half-Life 2 are you always against a number of problems to resolve in good faith. Sometimes it is about to find already on a portmanteau containing a bomb and then blow up part of an escalator, while other times it is about under pressure of time clearing the planks blocking the door. This is in many ways, unforgiving game that in the most uncompromising manner forcing the player to really fight for their survival, but as in so many older action games are the reward then subsequently also larger.

As for the technical part is Metro 2033 a mixed bag in which the grand qualities mixed with idiotic priorities and verging on bad optimized graphics technology. The graphics are basically very good and feel alive, well made and scandalously detailed. While the game is immediately in need of a proper patch when it is almost impossible to get Metro to flow nicely regardless of computer.

Additions, the fact that from the board is neither support for DirectX10, or for anti-aliasing and game hacks and hangs on a regular basis. As in the case of Shadow of Chernobyl, Metro is just half a bit sloppy technically, and I feel sad of course, given how well-made game in general.

Design-wise, there is not much to complain about, at all. The world is dark, dark, scary and stoppers details. To step into the shimmering green and monster stuffed inside a catacomb of underground cities heavily guarded borders is like finding a haven in the middle of a bombed out war zone. When you first walk in to "The Market" and lap around cheerful among drunkards and guitar playing soldiers filled it a relief to get action game even comes close.

Ultimately, Metro 2033 a very exciting action thriller that borrows freely from both Bioshock and Half-Life 2. The narrative is simple but efficient and the atmosphere is fantastic. Urdumma enemy soldiers and a number of thoroughly stupid moments, however, draws down the grade with the fact that the PC version actually does not feel completely ready. To the total absence of course also multiplayer feels like a disappointment.

With a six month development time to 4A Games had been able to polish further improved on enemy soldiers artificial intelligence, and eliminated a lot of the bugs that I encountered during my time underground. Then Metro 2033 could be great ... as it is right now, it may be content with a score of good. I yearn, however, already after Metro 2034th

Jesper Karlsson
While Peter swore and barked over the poorly optimized PC version of Metro in 2033, I have enjoyed the stunning polished Xbox 360 edition of the 4A Games suggestive games. There is a special feeling that this game conveys. I sit there, behind a rusting container, with only a knife as a weapon. Screaming butt of dirty hockey mask (?) Creeps ever closer in the darkness and my heavy breathing creates fog on gas masks inside. Metro 2033 out Bioshock in its effective way to quickly build atmosphere. That since there is no multiplayer and become a touch boring after about half of the adventure - it ignores me happily from. 8 / 10

brain_stew said:

I'm actually surprised the Xbox brigade aren't going crazy over it. They finally have a game with graphics in the same league as (or better than) KZ2 and UC2, you'd think they'd have adopted it as their saviour or something given that.

They're already choosen their savior:Alan Wake.

Alan Wake looks awesome, but Metro 2033 does some crazy stuff too, shame is being overlooked.I will buy....someday, right now I'm broke....

Tokubetsu

Fuck. I might wait on PC Screenshot thread gaf's word on how it's running. I'm looking at you BrainStew, Che and Dennis. (I will still probably fold and order tomorrow =O)

chespace

Hmm. So which is it? I've been hearing from other sources that it's very optimized. Oh well.

We'll see next week.

The screenshot thread will be full of dark places and crazy textures.

And people will complain.

adelante

Is it possible that the phrase "poorly optimized" is taken out of context, seeing as how it's a rough translation of the review afterall.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
brain_stew said:

That's because there isn't really an Xbox brigade... or at least, not one quite so rabid.

adelante

Haha i think it's more to do with the fact that 360 fans never had to care THAT much for graphics as a differentiating factor and that they've all grown used to seeing multiplatform titles looking better on the 360. It was never a priority for them (or most developers it seems):lol

S1kkZ

some things i noticed:

-throwing dynamite/a bomb is a big risk: it sets off every other grenade/bomb/dynamite in the explosion area, which can result in a big chain explosion that covers the whole area. almost every enemy has explosive stuff with him (which you can collect, of course)...
-sometimes, the game slows down to under 10 frames. happend to me 2 times (so far). seems like a bug.
-the nightvision googles are awesome but come with a price. you are mostly blind when you fire a gun (muzzle flash). even with a silenced pistol the smoke from the pistol stays in the air and blocks your view. i love this kind of detail.
-controls and gunplay are fine. hit detection seems a bit off, maybe its just my weapons or my aiming (turned off auto aim).

i really like the game, deserves more attention.

S1kkZ said:
some things i noticed:

-throwing dynamite/a bomb is a big risk: it sets off every other grenade/bomb/dynamite in the explosion area, which can result in a big chain explosion that covers the whole area. almost every enemy has explosive stuff with him (which you can collect, of course)...
-sometimes, the game slows down to under 10 frames. happend to me 2 times (so far). seems like a bug.
-the nightvision googles are awesome but come with a price. you are mostly blind when you fire a gun (muzzle flash). even with a silenced pistol the smoke from the pistol stays in the air and blocks your view. i love this kind of detail.
-controls and gunplay are fine. hit detection seems a bit off, maybe its just my weapons or my aiming (turned off auto aim).

Are you playing the PC or 360? If you are playing the PC have you noticed any issues that would mean the version was poorly optimized?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah I'm interested in this game, I like all of the (sort of ) realistic survival stuff, it sounds intense. What I've seen looks cool but I'd be getting it on 360 and the lack of impressions and reviews doesn't help. If GAF tells me it's good I'll probably pick it up.

wormstrangler said:
He's playing on the 360.

Once PC gamers get a hold of it, word of mouth should spread pretty fast if it's good enough.

Gotcha. I have been SOOO close to hitting the buy button on Steam but just cannot seem to do it until reviews and opinions on the optimization level hit.

Tokubetsu

S1kkZ said:
some things i noticed:

This shit actually sold me more on the game.

Top Bottom