• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro 2033 |OT| Fear the Future

TTG

subversus said:
"Stalker" is just a word now, not bound to a particular unvierse. Even STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl isn't in the same universe with "The Roadside Picnic" from which it has taken a lot of core elements.

Sure, but it's not like they threw the term in there at random. Maybe it's just a wink to that series, who knows. The way the ending is set up, they can pretty much go anywhere. Ofcourse, not having played the STALKER games, that lore may have the fate of Moscow set up in some other way.

subversus said:
and they are looking for PS3 programmers now, so I think console versions will follow.

That's good to hear, hopefully something trickles down at some point.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
TTG said:
Sure, but it's not like they threw the term in there at random. Maybe it's just a wink to that series, who knows. The way the ending is set up, they can pretty much go anywhere. Ofcourse, not having played the STALKER games, that lore may have the fate of Moscow set up in some other way.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the term Stalker, in this case, stems from the book Metro 2033 is based on.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
itsinmyveins said:
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the term Stalker, in this case, stems from the book Metro 2033 is based on.

I don't know I haven't read the book, so may be there are people called stalkers, but the term Stalker was first used in "The Roadside Picnic" novell, 1972.

TTG said:
Sure, but it's not like they threw the term in there at random.

I think that nowadays it's just a description of scavengers who go to the dangerous mysterious places to find some loot.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
subversus said:
I don't know I haven't read the book, so may be there are people called stalkers, but the term Stalker was first used in "The Roadside Picnic" novell, 1972.

I think that nowadays it's just a description of scavengers who go to the dangerous mysterious places to search some loot.

Yeah, I know that the term didn't originate with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-games or with Metro 2033, I was just saying that I doubt it was put in there as an homage to GSC:s game. It's more likely that it comes from the Metro 2033-book, which in its turn probably borrowed it from The Roadside Picnic or the movie based on that novel.

Gave this a rent. I'm liking the atmosphere but the controls feel so off. No amount of adjusting seems to make it control better. The game also just throws you out there with no hand holding whatsoever. I've died a bunch of times because of some bullshit reasons. But I'll keep playing.

TTG

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Gave this a rent. I'm liking the atmosphere but the controls feel so off. No amount of adjusting seems to make it control better. The game also just throws you out there with no hand holding whatsoever. I've died a bunch of times because of some bullshit reasons. But I'll keep playing.

How so? I thought they did very well with the controls considering they're a small pc based dev team. Even the auto aim doesn't feel out of place amongst console fpses. I would even say it's better than some of the early Valve console ports.

Dyno

Bought a stealth suit but to do it I had to sell a lot of bullets to get it. I'm left with maybe 50 rounds spread across three guns. I've been spending money rather poorly and I think firing off a few rounds by mistake. Ahh well. I'll just got stealthy and use some throwing knives until things turn around.

subversus

After much speculation, we can finally confirm the contents of the upcoming DLC for Metro 2033!

The ‘Ranger Pack’ adds new weapons, new achievements and the deadly ‘Ranger Mode’ game rules. In standard Ranger Mode, ammo is dramatically reduced and all weapons and attacks cause more damage. Your foes are deadlier than ever – but then, so are you...

‘Ranger Hardcore’ adds an additional challenge as the HUD is totally removed, creating the most immersive Metro 2033 experience yet.

Rise to the challenge with two new weapons – the Heavy Automatic Shotgun, and the Volt Driver, Miller’s signature gun. New achievements and 250 Gamerscore points are up for grabs.

The Ranger Pack will be released on both Xbox LIVE Marketplace and Steam in the very near future, with pricing to be confirmed closer to release.

We'll have more info on the weapons and achievements right here over the next few days...

meh

TTG

Stallion Free said:
And here I was thinking we were getting actual content.

Same here. Maybe something laying out the story of what happened to Hunter when he takes off looking for the dark ones...

subversus

TTG said:
Same here. Maybe something laying out the story of what happened to Hunter when he takes off looking for the dark ones...

I heard some rumours that it will be the next game. But it's probably just rumours.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TTG said:

I don't mind paying for DLC, they just built this up as being more than weapons and a harder difficulty :(

Interfectum

think about getting this game... question though. how is the stealth? can you stealth your way through the whole game or are there 'stealth levels' you play through?

Interfectum said:
think about getting this game... question though. how is the stealth? can you stealth your way through the whole game or are there 'stealth levels' you play through?
I know there's an achievement for stealthing your way through one of the levels.. In practice though you usually end up in big firefights. In my experience anyway.

By the way Roadside Picnic is a cool book as is the movie Stalker that's based on it. I'm pretty sure you can legally download the english translation of it as a PDF somewhere.

Interfectum

Well I got the game and I think I'm at the end of chapter 3, heading into chapter 4.

Loving the game so far. The game is more scary than I thought it would be and I'm liking the stealth action. It's refreshing to play a hardcore stealth game after the shit that was Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Now I just about to start "Child"... still far away? Also, up to this point except for the Stealth Suit, I literally haven't bought anything from the shops. A wise decision, or not? My weapons so far: Knife, Throwing Knife, Upgraded Pistol with stock and silencer, the KSV (the one I got from Bourbon--that's the name of the weapon, right?), Auto Shotgun, and some grenades which I haven't bothered to use at all.

Should I buy any weapons or should I just hoard all the military grade bullets?

...btw, I hated spawning in games, and these little dog-like fuckers spawning from the ground are really grating.

Aon

Yeah, that level is really odd. At first I railed against such obvious spawning, then when I saw one of the mole rat things run from one hole to another behind me I thought it was a cool idea, although I still have no idea whether they actually model that movement or whether the rats just teleport around.

I guess the section sort of grates either way because I'm worrying about the game's technical elements instead of being immersed in it. Although it is a cool idea.

Also, does anyone have any tips for killing inquisitors?

subversus

Laughing Banana said:
Now I just about to start "Child"... still far away? Also, up to this point except for the Stealth Suit, I literally haven't bought anything from the shops. A wise decision, or not? My weapons so far: Knife, Throwing Knife, Upgraded Pistol with stock and silencer, the KSV (the one I got from Bourbon--that's the name of the weapon, right?), Auto Shotgun, and some grenades which I haven't bothered to use at all.

Should I buy any weapons or should I just hoard all the military grade bullets?

...btw, I hated spawning in games, and these little dog-like fuckers spawning from the ground are really grating.

You're like 60% through

subversus

Aon said:
Also, does anyone have any tips for killing inquisitors?

Just shoot them a lot (in the head preferably). I've killed one in the Library, but was too lazy to try this on surface.

Aon

I was trying to do that on Outpost, but then they just flew away after a while. Wouldn't come back no matter how tasty I tried to be.

Bought this for £15 a few days ago on Steam because that deal was too good to pass up and now I feel like this might be one of the most underrated games of the year so far. I couldn't put it down.

First of all, it looks fantastic. By far the best looking game I've ever played, with literally every piece of scenery amazing me. I got a constant 60fps pretty much with my 5850/955BE/4gb RAM and everything on max at 1920x1080. On DX10, of course. I put it up to DX11 at one point but I didn't feel the extra little touches were worth losing over half my fps and dropping the resolution to 1650x1050.

The atmosphere was probably the best part for me. Although it wasn't as unrelenting as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in terms of simply surviving, everything was so grim and depressing. I found myself craving glimpses of natural light, which intensified as the game went on. Despite the surface being such a hostile place it was almost a relief to be back on familar territory. It really made me symapthise for the inhabitants of the stations as the prospect of a life underground is really horrendous. I think the library is the stand out chapter for me in terms of atmosphere, however - the Librarians were terrifying with the little amount of ammo that I had. It got to the point where I was simply running backwards to the nearest exit. :lol

I was pleasantly surprsied by the variety of scenarios, also. I thought the whole game would be quite a lot like Doom 3, going from monster closet to monster closet, however being part of the
Soviet vs Nazi fight (it was yet another WW2 shooter, eh?)
and going deep into the
missile silo
gave the game some much needed variation. I really enjoyed the fact that it wasn't a solitary experience for the most part, also, as the dialogue was both witty and interesting. I loved the part where you
reach Polis and the man at the entrance is recalling the nuclear warfare first hand
and to contrast that
the joker messing around near the end pretending to be the ghosts of the missile silo
:lol

So yeah, overall a pleasant surprise in just how good this game was. Judging by the size of this thread I think more should be playing it!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
So yeah, overall a pleasant surprise in just how good this game was. Judging by the size of this thread I think more should be playing it!
It's a really mediocre European game, what were you expecting?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
Well, I know it's never going to be a mainstream hit, but by the rest of my post you should understand I think it's much more than mediocre.
It doesn't matter what you think, that is what the general opinion is. It also doesn't help that there is nothing about the box that makes it look anymore interesting than your average IP that people recognize and feel comfortable spending money on.

I wasn't arguing that it was considered an amazing game by everyone though. I stated my opinion that I think more people should play it because I heard the mixed views and ended up loving it.

subversus

Stallion Free said:
It doesn't matter what you think, that is what the general opinion is.

I hate that term. You don't know what the general opinion is. Metacritic score is high (higher for PC). GAF's so called general opinion that the game has flaws but good. Who considers it mediocre? Show me these people. You can't? So you don't know what the general opinion is.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
subversus said:
I hate that term. You don't know what the general opinion is. Metacritic score is high (higher for PC). GAF's so called general opinion that the game has flaws but good. Who considers it mediocre? Show me these people. You can't? So you don't know what the general opinion is.
Idk, I read this thread and no one is gushing over it and no one liked the combat. Worth it for the atmosphere and that's about it. Oh and no one was able to follow the story. And a metacritic in the 70's is the very essence of mediocre. The only reason the PC version got higher was because it looked prettier I'm sure.

I find it pretty hard to believe that nobody was able to follow the story. It was really straight forward up until the end, and even that's hardly challenging to interpret.

I'd consider myself "gushing" over it personally. :p

FLEABttn

Banned
I don't gush (I find it disappointing that anything short of hyperbolic when it comes to how much someone likes a game means that it isn't liked).
The combat was enjoyable.
I was able to follow the story.

The game was worth the $40.

Maybe I'm still high on the Crysis kool-aid (with the extreme graphics mod), but the visuals in this game aren't as impressive as I expected them to be (I'm running it on very high with 4x MSAA and 16x AF at, I believe, 1600x900).

The gunplay, as people have mentioned, is a little underwhelming as well. I hope it gets better.

kamspy

I love Metro because as a STALKER nut, it refines the experience perfectly. This gives a genre I love, the "Atmospheric Easter-Euro Russian Bloc Survival Sub Horror" a platform for making games of smaller scale.

I'm going to boot er up right now and see if that Ranger mode ever made it out.

Stallion Free said:
and no one liked the combat. And a metacritic in the 70's is the very essence of mediocre.

Mhhh, i'd say that it's not that simple.

The problem with the combat is not in the concept, but in the software. Actually, the concept is great, it's just that the technology doesn't always follow along.

The concept behind the combat shows that, no matter what happens and no matter what weapons you have at disposal, stealth and\or a careful strategic approach should always be the priority. This is made pretty obvious by the fact that all the weapons can be powerful, but noone is powerful enough to wipe 10 people\monsters out in a spree. Take the auto-shotgun for example. It reloads in 3 different ways. You can put a quick shell in it, you can put 5 shells if it's empty, but if you have 4 shells in it, you can load it up to 6 shells - as you'll need 2 shells to kill someone\thing, the 6 shells load up is the best, but sometimes you miss the target, and you won't be always able to load 6 shells in it - if you load 5 shells, you'll have to decide between keeping the shotgun loaded that way (and you'll know it won't be enough to kill 3 monsters that usually come in packs of 3 or more), or waste a shell to load it up with 6. It's a very smart way of conceiving a weapon that will end up being a tool for survival rather than a tool of destruction. You'll feel never reassured, never safe, never empowered enough for what's waiting ahead. You're surviving, you deal reactive violence.

The problem is, that the software doesn't follow the quality of the concept: monsters don't show any feedback when attacked (no animations of them being hit and suffering), and when you hit them they will attack you anyway, sometimes they will even jump through you, forcing you to turn in panic and shoot blindly.

Also: FUCK METACRITIC. Reviewers are mostly pathetic nerds with pissed pants and horrible tastes and their scores are their products - that site should just be banned here. :D

MGHA

LTTP; Running the game on all very high/ no aa 45ish fps.

Core 2 duo E8500
ATI HD5850

Game is great, exactly what I was expecting. Already on the third chapter tho.

itsinmyveins said:

People are referred to as stalkers in the book. They're the dudes that go onto the surface to acquire supplies that can't be found in the Metro itself. Mostly luxuries, or equipment parts for repairs. It's known (rightly) to be a super dangerous job, and they're highly respected in the book, rather than it being looked down upon, or slightly illegal as in Roadside Picnic and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Jerk

Banned
How does this game look on low settings?

I was going to try playing it with my 8600m GT, but I am not sure if it is playable with my hardware.

Flunkie

Banned
So I'm on the Frontlines right now and it's annoying the shit out of me. Die once, go back and listen to that long speech again.

Bi50N said:
The Ranger Pack is up on Xbox LIVE. You can add it to your download queue here:

http://ow.ly/2kd44

Should be up on Steam later today. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

Does the patch come with configurable graphics options. As that's the only thing that's going to get me to come back to the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
brain_stew said:
Does the patch come with configurable graphics options. As that's the only thing that's going to get me to come back to the game.
I hope so too, but I'll still take a look even if it doesn't.

Top Bottom