• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
I realise that this may be going out on quite a limb, but... Any comments on how the game plays, rather than how it's optimized? :) Particularly in comparison to Metro 2033; and particularly regarding the shooting mechanics. They still like a bit "meh", to be honest.

Hawk269

Brutal. Barely over 30fps with drops to 23 with 2xSSAA @ 1920x1080, everything maxed, and PhysX off, on a GTX 670. Guess no SSAA for me then. Wish they had benchmarks of the PhysX performance hit.

I am gaming at 2560x1440 using 2xSLI Titans and I have to have SSAA at 2x in order to have solid 60fps. Every other option I have set to the highest possible setting. SSAA at 3x gives me around 45fps on average, 4xSSAA gives me mid 30's in FPS. For a solid 60fps, I need to use 2xSSAA. In a few cut scenes it dropped to the low 50's, but outside that it has been solid. I did get some weird flickering with a shadow when you get off of that circular elevator thing, but outside of that it has been pretty solid.

Hard to believe that in order to max out this game with EVERYTHING set to max at 1440p it seems like you would need 3 Titans. That or await for driver maturity to get better performance.

Riggs

Banned
I am gaming at 2560x1440 using 2xSLI Titans and I have to have SSAA at 2x in order to have solid 60fps. Every other option I have set to the highest possible setting. SSAA at 3x gives me around 45fps on average, 4xSSAA gives me mid 30's in FPS. For a solid 60fps, I need to use 2xSSAA. In a few cut scenes it dropped to the low 50's, but outside that it has been solid. I did get some weird flickering with a shadow when you get off of that circular elevator thing, but outside of that it has been pretty solid.

Hard to believe that in order to max out this game with EVERYTHING set to max at 1440p it seems like you would need 3 Titans. That or await for driver maturity to get better performance.

My 680 bows to you sir.

Not even jealous, titans are like a fine obsiidan blade. They are to be respected.

kotor22

Started playing right as it unlocked on Steam and this game looks fantastic graphically! stopped for now, looks like they put reload on the X this time around for the 360 gamepad on PC, really digging the UI though!

Hawk269

nvidia has beta drivers out for this game

Yes they do. When I was using SSAA at 4x with everything else set to max, I was running at around 30fps or so. Downloaded the new beta drivers and FPS improved to the high 30's low 40's in the same exact same place. So, the beta's definitely does help get some more performance. As with any new game, I am sure that the next driver should bring a bit more performance as well.

I'm playing at 1440p with max settings (minus PhysX) on a 7970 and was generally getting a solid 40 FPS. There does seem to be a problem with some of the lighting/shadow bugging out which cripples my framerate. But given how it looks I would say performance is pretty acceptable. I'll probably see what it looks like dropping SSAA.

Hawk269

Started playing right as it unlocked on Steam and this game looks fantastic graphically! stopped for now, looks like they put reload on the X this time around for the 360 gamepad on PC, really digging the UI though!

Yeah, visually it is pretty amazing. Great use of lighting and overall IQ is just fantastic. I know I am a bit early in the game, but it is probably one of the most impressive graphical games I have played as of late. Very impressive!

Zios

Banned
Playing on 2560x1440 with a 670. Very high, no SSAA , medium Tessellation = 50+ fps with some dips down to 40 using beta drivers. Pleased so far with the performance

Smokey

I played for a hour or so. Nvidia Surround (5760x1080), Max settings, Phsyx on, SSAA x2. Got between 30-35 fps. Running on Titan SLI

Game looks amazing. I'm sure if I disabled SSAA x2 I'd get closer to 50ish fps.

Wag

It seems like me and hawk269 have similar setups. TITAN SLI 2560x1440 displays. I'm going to have to fool around with this tomorrow. Too late for me.

Riggs

Banned
Yes, I'm playing and getting the same flashes of white for doing certain actions.

Wish I could launch 2033 .. had to view endings on YouTube. Bleh.

Funny thing is I played 2033 on this machine, now it won't start. I spent 4 days trying to fix last week and finally gave up lol.

Oreoleo

Surprised I'm able to eke out 2xSSAA and Very High w/ advanced PhysX @ 1080p with a 660. There were dips in a couple places (around fog, mostly) in the first hour so maybe my rig won't be able to keep up in later areas as well (Crysis 1 comes to mind..), but I was impressed with how steady the game felt even when it wasn't at 60 fps. FOV isn't bothering me much at all, either! Good stuff so far.

Yes, I'm playing and getting the same flashes of white for doing certain actions.

I thought I heard they were rolling with the bad ending from 2033 only? Was that a mislead?

Hawk269

It seems like me and hawk269 have similar setups. TITAN SLI 2560x1440 displays. I'm going to have to fool around with this tomorrow. Too late for me.

Let me know of any tweaks you make. I think at our resolution, the difference between 2xSSAA and 4xSSAA should not be that big of difference. It definitely has a performance hit, but visually sitting stationary I really don't see much of a difference when I switch between 2x and 4x.

Surprised I'm able to eke out 2xSSAA and Very High w/ advanced PhysX @ 1080p with a 660. There were dips in a couple places (around fog, mostly) in the first hour so maybe my rig won't be able to keep up in later areas as well (Crysis 1 comes to mind..), but I was impressed with how steady the game felt even when it wasn't at 60 fps. FOV isn't bothering me much at all, either! Good stuff so far.

I thought I heard they were rolling with the bad ending from 2033 only? Was that a mislead?

They are, the game follows up after you activate the strike. A second chance to do better this time, or kill them again it seems. There are definitely still choices, that flash is everywhere. Come watch for a minute <3

Edit: Holy shit that rally scene was the most visually impressive thing I've played.

670 and 3570k and I haven't dropped below 50 yet with everything maxed and no SSAA. SSAA really isn't needed at all, with it turned off I'm still seeing no jaggies. The game looks great though, some effects are a bit crappier to try achieve the same effect as 2033 but with less performance cost, such as the smoke, but I think overall the visual difference isn't THAT bad and the fantastic performance makes it worth it.

Riggs

Banned
Lol this chick .... like her.

Not.sure what the point of the other ending in 2033 is though if this game doesn't take it into account. Having fun though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ranger Hardcore feels about right, but I have to admit I am really annoyed that the game's controls don't actually tell you how to do certain things. QTE is on E by default from what I can tell, but I just picked up a bunch of throwing knives and cannot equip them or throw them.

feel

Finally got my Amazon key, preloading! It only comes out here in the 16th apparently, will probably not do the vpn trick, I can wait.

How are you guys getting FPS? You using FRAPS? I guess if I have SLI TITANs I should invest in it eh?
Free version of fraps has the fps counter.

Fuck your not so stealthy brag, cunt :p

So how do I download Ranger Mode? I preloaded on Steam and on the DLC page it says I own Ranger Mode, yet in-game it says I need to download it.

My bad if this has already been asked.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Anyone else having the issue where they can't take screenshots on steam?

Strange, all working here. Did your steam overlay crash at any point? Whenever that stops working I have to wait for it to restart on its own or shut the game off and boot it back up.

So how do I download Ranger Mode? I preloaded on Steam and on the DLC page it says I own Ranger Mode, yet in-game it says I need to download it.

My bad if this has already been asked.

Restart steam, it'll propagate then.

Strange, all working here. Did your steam overlay crash at any point? Whenever that stops working I have to wait for it to restart on its own or shut the game off and boot it back up.

Restart steam, it'll propagate then.

Nope, screenshots just don't work at all. Didn't work in 2033 either when I tried, so weird!

Uriah

Is there anyway to check my weapon ammo? Tab only seems to show the rifle rounds and not shotgun or pistol rounds.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is there anyway to check my weapon ammo? Tab only seems to show the rifle rounds and not shotgun or pistol rounds.

Tab should show it all, but I thought I'd mention here that Ranger Hardcore does not allow you to check your ammo at all. I don't know who thought that was a good idea, as even in a real life situation you could do an ammo check between fights and even Metro 2033 let you check it.

It's weird, the stream doesn't capture the overlay at all. Might that help to explain why screenshots don't work? I can still bring it up, but it won't show up at all. Although screenshots don't work even while not streaming. Still getting achievements and everything.

scitek

I just streamed a bit with max settings including Advanced PhysX and 1.5 SSAA if anyone's interested (playing on Normal).

http://www.twitch.tv/itsdonallen/b/403328836

A couple of hours in, and I think this game's a massive improvement over the first solely from a mechanics standpoint. I could see its linearity pissing some people off, but the combat and stealth is much more fun than in 2033. And the graphics, uh yeah... :O

Top Bottom