• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
For the new page, steaming Ranger Hardcore mode at max settings. 720P feed
http://www.twitch.tv/awesomeoutof10

I don't understand one thing, how do I use grenades? Options don't have a switch for them :/ ANd it seems on ranger hardcore you only get to cary two guns.

Edit: Also, what is the button to switch currency? Tab doesn't do anything in Ranger Hardcore.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I don't understand one thing, how do I use grenades? Options don't have a switch for them :/ ANd it seems on ranger hardcore you only get to cary two guns.

Edit: Also, what is the button to switch currency? Tab doesn't do anything in Ranger Hardcore.

Switching bullets is hold reload, how to swap grenades is a mystery.

scitek

You switch to grenades by holding Y with a controller and pressing the D-pad to change your throwing weapon from knives to grenades. I've only played with a controller, though.

Amon-Lau

Sometimes it only works for assault rifles I noticed. I have tons of military ammo but only can use for AR right now.

That how it was in 2033, guess it's the same in 2034... :p

Won't be able to see it for myself until the 17th... :<

Amon-Lau

Herp a derp, never used in the orignal game so didn't really bother. Seriously though, how does one switch to grenades on a keyboard?
If it's under throwing knives then it should be under 1, you'll have to click it twice though like the sticky grenades in the first game...? =0

EDIT:
Or it could be under 5 if it still uses the normal and sticky grenades... xP

If it's under throwing knives then it should be under 1, you'll have to click it twice though like the sticky grenades in the first game...? =0

In the first game grenades were on their own key, 5. You held them physically, like the knives as well. Here the knives are just a button press.

Amon-Lau

In the first game grenades were on their own key, 5. You held them physically, like the knives as well. Here the knives are just a button press.
That's what I meant when I said like in the first game for Normal and sticky grenades, you had to click 5 twice to switch between the two types~

Which is why I thought 2034 might of done the same, but it seems they may just given it a throw button like they did with the knives... :p

How is Ranger mode for first time playthrough ? Is AI cheap or compared to games like crysis? Most games are ok on harder diff for me.

I'm liking this a lot more than I did 2033 from a gameplay standpoint. Just the addition of being able to turn off/douse light sources is a big step up for someone that likes to go the stealth route. Right before it crashed on me, I was having a fun time exploiting enemy AI for stealth which was pretty fun. Gunplay is far less inconsistent and stealth is much more viable this time around!

Also a heads up for those that try to force Windowed Mode: It's possible to do it through the same methods as with 2033, but in LL, I was getting some annoying suttering. Since then I have been playing fullscreen in 1080p, and haven't had any stuttering issues.

Has no one really figured out the grenade button yet? Lol, and Ranger Hardcore is fine for a first playthough aside of issues like the one just mentioned. Tough but fair, just search every enemy. Will have to figure out a few controls through experimentation but that doesn't bother me.

Xater

Iirc ign's review was using a ps3 version. The reviewer noted some console freezing glitches but otherwise liked the game.

Just read it and what he describes sounds terrible. Gonna skip this game then and hope that the PS4 version will happen.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Done for the night, I really have to get some damn sleep. Made it to just after
spiders
first showed up. Combat is overhauled in a good way, but I think stealth stuff is extremely OP. I have a silencer on both of my weapons and I'm practically unstoppable. I'm also noticing ways to slip through most maps without even needing to resort to violence but... it's just too damn fun, either shooting them or meleeing them from behind or the side or just bumrushing the last dude.

A few questionable decisions regarding Ranger Hardcore mode (least of all being the controversial method of acquisition) aside, this has been fairly enjoyable but less survivalist than I was hoping. Can't wait to pick it back up in a few hours, cover my 6 while I get some Z's comrades.

TJP

Lots of info here from "Professor Pew": http://steamcommunity.com/app/43160/discussions/0/810924134054557610/

Regarding the digital version of Metro 2033, from the above link: "This is exclusive for the U.S. due to the fact that the book distribution rights in the U.S. are owned by the author Dmitry Glukhovsky himself (he self-publishes Metro 2033 there), and he was kind enough to allow us to give it away.

You can find the digital novel in English as a PDF in \Steam\steamapps\common\Metro Last Light\novel once it unlocks."

Funny thing is I bought the game from GamersGate UK and got the novel and I'm in Oz.

cripterion

Thanks to the fellas that recommended spotlux, I'm now playing this.
GeForce experience recommended high tessalation, very high settings and the physics on, so that's what I'm playing on and runs well, game is a beauty but the faces man, so cartoony and expressionless like the in the first title. Had to put vsync on too cause of the tearing.

I also agree with people about voices being all over the place but not playing on a 7.1 setup so that might be it. As for the quality of the English VA, it's seems identical to the first one so far.

My one big complaint so far is that the smoke effects just aren't as impressive, bummer they turned them down so much. It used to fill the rooms and was easily the most impressive effect of its type. Why downgrade it, seems more of a simplification rather than optimization. :/ Any chance of it being patched to Metro levels?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I see nVidia is giving away two copies of the game on Facebook. Comes with a bonus TITAN.

pa22word

The only way I've found to change grenades is to bring up the quick menu (tab by default) and drag my mouse in the corresponding secondary weapon direction.

Anyone try to see if it is possible to turn off HUD for non-Ranger mode?

Pretty sure there's an option for it in one of the option menus in game >.>

cripterion

Getting huge graphical glitches like if my graphics card were overheating yet my GPU is at 67°C and the other one at 38°C :/

cheezcake

Loving it so far

Have an i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz and an overclocked gtx 570

Get an average of about 50 fps, during heavy fight scenes it drops to mid-high 30's

Settings:
  • details -> very high
  • advanced physx -> on
  • ssaa -> off
  • tesselation -> normal
  • motion blur -> normal

Loving it so far

Have an i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz and an overclocked gtx 570

Get an average of about 50 fps, during heavy fight scenes it drops to mid-high 30's

Settings:
  • details -> very high
  • advanced physx -> on
  • ssaa -> off
  • tesselation -> normal
  • motion blur -> normal

If you turn off tessellation that should give you a good boost in FPS.

Have done I had to every time it crashed :p My PC is stable I furmarked it just to make sure and it passed. Its odd.

It seems to be a bit buggy, had some texture seams go crazy among other things. Crashed 3 times over 6 hours as well, but getting back in and it was fine.

From the steam forums:(ricochetguro)
"I'm 4 hours in and I still don't understand how to switch to grenades. What's the key?"
"My roommate is playing it on normal hardcore and he's saying that you switch grenades in the tab menu, which is not available in ranger mode."
Follow up post
"Basically.. you have to memorize what the menu would look like and use it from memory instead."
This is the most fucking absurd thing, why not just map it to a button? If that's true, which it seems to be given I've been playing for 5 hours and unable to switch, then 4A really need a nice slapping :/

cheezcake

If you turn off tessellation that should give you a good boost in FPS.

But the tessellation makes the monsters look so damn good!

Will try without and see how noticeable the difference is though, also that scene where
you're running through the nazi base, trying to escape
looked amazing

SparkTR

The visuals are nice. On a technical level it looks like a step down from Metro 2033 on PC, but the art looks much more refined and polished. The game also runs much, much better so that's nice as well.

cheezcake

The visuals are nice. On a technical level it looks like a step down from Metro 2033 on PC, but the art looks much more refined and polished. The game also runs much, much better so that's nice as well.

A step down what, playing both games there's really no difference in graphics just the implementation is Last Light seems far more efficient. The fog shadows used to massacre my fps in 2033, run much better now.

funnily 2033 seems to run a lot better than LL does though that could be down to the current buggy nature. I really want to play through it, the feel of that shotgun makes me want to shot a monster in the face but I cant :(

A step down what, playing both games there's really no difference in graphics just the implementation is Last Light seems far more efficient. The fog shadows used to massacre my fps in 2033, run much better now.

The smoke effects flat out has been simplified and look kind of bad now. It's really a bummer, whether it affected your framerate or not it was an incredible effect that's just kind of meh now. Wish they'd at least included the option to use that kind. Never would have imagined they'd take them out, added so much to firefights.

Otherwise I think it's a pretty clear improvement, the rally scene in particular is probably the most visually stunning scene I've played through. Although I'm not sure about the destruction given that on Ranger mode it maps them to an INVISIBLE FUCKING MENU. That makes it feel like a port more than anything else, why are grenades not on a button? Awful that they placed them on a rage style radial menu :/

Alright, to switch between knives, incendiaries, and grenades like I was having such a hard time doing.

Hold Tab for all
Mouse Left: Grenade
Mouse Up: Throwing Knives
Mouse Right: Incendiaries

So silly these aren't on buttons, and why aren't they items you hold any more? So silly! The worst part is that means you can no longer prime grenades, only toss them.

puzl

Banned
Ugh, this FOV is killing me. I expected a claustrophobic, tense experience, but this isn't what i had in mind.

Unplayable for me until someone figures out how to adjust it :(

Top Bottom