• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

AllenShrz

Ugh, this FOV is killing me. I expected a claustrophobic, tense experience, but this isn't what i had in mind.

Unplayable for me until someone figures out how to adjust it :(

Really?

A deal breaker for me too then.

I hate not being able to adjust FOV.

Alright, to switch between knives, incendiaries, and grenades like I was having such a hard time doing.

Hold Tab for all
Mouse Left: Grenade
Mouse Up: Throwing Knives
Mouse Right: Incendiaries

So silly these aren't on buttons, and why aren't they items you hold any more? So silly! The worst part is that means you can no longer prime grenades, only toss them.

New thread bump, only because this is something that confounded me for the longest time starting on Ranger Hardcore.

I feel really bad for the people who the FOV makes sick, for all the little things that bother me in gamesly FOV has never really been one of them. I play Last Light and feel absolute nothing as wrong, not sure if that's a bad or good thing.

Dennis

Banned
ibfuLaZC3S4PNR.gif

Is Metro giving your PC a strenuous workout?

Come check out the PC performance thread for tips and tricks.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557338

U2NUMB

Any good impressions of the 360 version? I have 35 bucks in reward money via Best Buy so I could pick it up for 25 bucks.. I never got into the first one but that was mainly due to the mechanics.. reading the impressions it sounds like they ironed out those issues so I am guessing 25 dollars is easily a fair price for a console version of it.

I really hope they add FOV options soon. I couldn't play more than 5 minutes without feeling queasy. The 5 minutes that I did play I loved what I saw though.

It's weird, the stream doesn't capture the overlay at all. Might that help to explain why screenshots don't work? I can still bring it up, but it won't show up at all. Although screenshots don't work even while not streaming. Still getting achievements and everything.

Just wanted to point out that you can capture screenshots with another program and still upload them to steam. All of my Steam screenshots are captured with SweetFX.

Anyone know how to knockout enemies?
I am playing ranger hardcore and have not contextual help and have no idea what the key would be.

It is obviously not melee

EDIT: also this game is making my eyes bleed it looks so good.

Bi50N

Anyone know how to knockout enemies?
I am playing ranger hardcore and have not contextual help and have no idea what the key would be.

It is obviously not melee

EDIT: also this game is making my eyes bleed it looks so good.

Use / reload. Melee is execute as you found out :)

No
Shadow Ranger achievement
for you...

Sethos

Banned
Has anyone tried adding the fix from Metro 2033, pasting this to the user .cfg

sick_fov 45.

Then obviously change the value ( It's vertical ).

scitek

Has anyone tried adding the fix from Metro 2033, pasting this to the user .cfg

sick_fov 45.

Then obviously change the value ( It's vertical ).

Yes, sick_fov is no longer a command. I posted screens of all the commands I could find in the PC performance thread.

The 4th shot is just to get the last little bit at the bottom that wouldn't fit in the 3rd.

In the first game grenades were on their own key, 5. You held them physically, like the knives as well. Here the knives are just a button press.

I told ya man its all confusing. In the normal mode you had to hold the y button on the xbox and then the d pad up, down, left or right to switch.

Bi50N

FOV - I come with news from 4A. Wish it had been sooner, these things can get lost in translation -

We're aware the community have been asking for a 'Field of View' slider for Metro: Last Light. Unfortunately, this was not as simple a thing to implement as it might appear!

The main reason for maintaining a fixed FOV is because we have 3D elements like the watch and weapon ammo that need to remain visible.

In addition, all the game's first-person cut scenes and cinematics and each and every animation involving Artyom's hands - idle weapon animations, reloads, ladder climbing, melee attacks etc, - were created assuming the same, fixed field of view.

Changing the FOV would break all the cut-scenes and animations - you would be able to see inside Artyom's arms, or they would appear to float in the air in front of you. Or worse.

We had considered offering three FOV pre-sets, but this would still require significant work to re-do every animation, adjust the HUD and UI and other seemingly small but incredibly time consuming tasks.

Even with a wider but still fixed field of view, Artyom's hands would look too far away. We know - we tried.

Game performance is also tied to FOV - the amount of geometric detail we put in each scene has been partly determined by this set FOV, and setting a wider FOV would have a performance impact.

We understand this issue is important to many people, and we have been looking at possible solutions.

In the immediate term - the next title update, due in the next few days will allow you to directly change the FOV in the .cfg files.

This may well trigger a number of issues listed above - you have been warned!

- 4A Games

Deadbeat

Banned
Reminds me of Syndicate on PC "blahblahblah tied to the game cant be done easily" *community fix made by some random dude on the internet*

legacyzero

Banned
You gotta respect sonebody that at least answers the community. And its a great answer.

Why not lock the FOV during cutscenes, and leave it open during gameplay?

scitek

Its no different with metro 2033. It bobbed in and out when you went up and down things.

Right, but Starbreeze never changed anything. They just stuck to their excuses, which is a shame because Syndicate's actually pretty fun when you can play it without getting sick.

Deadbeat

Banned
I don't remember things being that bad on 2033, I barely remember any clippage at all.
If you set it crazy high because you want to relive your quake days, you would see the end of the models of the arms and they would rotate weird in certain animations.

I had it set to 60 and it worked great. No clipping issues or jarring problems from what I remember.
Right, but Starbreeze never changed anything. They just stuck to their excuses, which is a shame because Syndicate's actually pretty fun when you can play it without getting sick.
We need to get a group of people going because I want some 3 star missions done to get all my research points.

AJ_Wings

You gotta respect sonebody that at least answers the community. And its a great answer.

Why not lock the FOV during cutscenes, and leave it open during gameplay?

I think that's exactly the way Far Cry 3 handled it. It's especially noticeable when you're opening doors and the screen is zooming in and out of the default FOV.

Although, how hard is it to increase the FOV without changing the placement of the gun in the view-model during actual gameplay?

legacyzero

Banned
I think that's exactly the way Far Cry 3 handled it. It's especially noticeable when you're opening doors and the screen is zooming in and out of the default FOV.

Although, how hard is it to increase the FOV without changing the placement of the gun in the view-model during actual gameplay?
I think ur right.. IIRC there were scenes that seemingly felt constricted, and when the scene was over, the FOV value changed back automatically.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
If you set it crazy high because you want to relive your quake days, you would see the end of the models of the arms and they would rotate weird in certain animations.

I had it set to 60 and it worked great. No clipping issues or jarring problems from what I remember.

Oh yeah I can see that happening absolutely. I like to keep it ~90FOV (whatever the equivalent was for Metro's FOV scaling) which wasn't outrageously silly.

Due thanks to Bi50N for stopping by with the info.

"In addition, all the game's first-person cut scenes and cinematics and each and every animation involving Artyom's hands - idle weapon animations, reloads, ladder climbing, melee attacks etc, - were created assuming the same, fixed field of view. "

Then why not make the fixed field of view wider?

d00d3n

So, all of you guys who are getting the game to activate early with spotflux or other american vpns, are you running the steam version of the game? Did you buy the game with an american credit card or have an american friend gift it to you? Used origin store?

I thought the aggressive drm upgrades (the service started to "remember" your location based on the currency used with the last purchase and other stuff) last autumn on steam put an end to playing games early, but maybe things have changed. When did this happen?

I already like this more than 2033.
-Visuals are astounding, like really fucking gorgeous at times. Some effects are a bit cheaper looking than 2033's but the overall effect is still very nice and the performance is so much better.

-There is still that Metro 2033 feeling in there but everything is refined now.

-Shooting feels far and away better,

- stealthing is a bit too easy but I like it. Makes me feel like a ninja.

-Throwing knives and shit feels better and more connected.

-The audio is incredible and what sounded good before sounds even better now. Firing a suppressed pistol has a nice "thwack!" to it.

-The morality system is back in it's subtle form which I like

Granted I'm only like 3 hours in but already it feels great. The bigger focus on the human aspect of the Metro is very nice and reminds me a lot of the books.

So, all of you guys who are getting the game to activate early with spotflux or other american vpns, are you running the steam version of the game? Did you buy the game with an american credit card or have an american friend gift it to you? Used origin store?

I thought the aggressive drm upgrades (the service started to "remember" your location based on the currency used with the last purchase and other stuff) last autumn on steam put an end to playing games early, but maybe things have changed. When did this happen?

I'm in Ireland and I bought the game from greenmangaming, with my Irish credit card, which activated on steam. I pre=loaded over the weekend, I ran spotflux then when the US release time happened last night and launched steam and it unpacked and worked perfectly. it's totally fine

Sethos

Banned

From EU. Just started SpotFlux, unlocked the game normally and then shut it down. Now I can launch the .exe in the directory.

From EU. Just started SpotFlux, unlocked the game normally and then shut it down. Now I can launch the .exe in the directory.

Oh so you don't need to keep running spotflux and then opening steam? just run the .exe in the steam folder? Fucking aces.

Restarting steam and using spotflux over and over was annoying me

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
-The audio is incredible and what sounded good before sounds even better now. Firing a suppressed pistol has a nice "thwack!" to it.

I found the sound to be great, but the weapon sounds are totally muted for me. Are you playing on PC? Are you playing with 5.1?

On my PC in stereo with headphones the guns sound terrible...

I know the game is just based on the book but its odd how in the book he was only a baby when the bomb hit but he is a toddler in the LL version. Also I don't know if its just me but when reloading a pistol it sounds like the sounds are being played twice.

d00d3n

I'm in Ireland and I bought the game from greenmangaming, with my Irish credit card, which activated on steam. I pre=loaded over the weekend, I ran spotflux then when the US release time happened last night and launched steam and it unpacked and worked perfectly. it's totally fine

TY, I guess I will try to activate my copy.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Loving it so far

Have an i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz and an overclocked gtx 570

Get an average of about 50 fps, during heavy fight scenes it drops to mid-high 30's

Settings:
Been a while since I played 2033, but it seems they have optimized quite a bit with last light. Would be looking more forward to it if i didn't also have exams.

Also this FOV talk: What is the default FOV?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
That's because its for US customers only... except that I'm Australian and I have it. Odd, but I'm not complaining.

I am a US customer, though. :<

FOV - I come with news from 4A. Wish it had been sooner, these things can get lost in translation -

In the immediate term - the next title update, due in the next few days will allow you to directly change the FOV in the .cfg files.

This may well trigger a number of issues listed above - you have been warned!

- 4A Games
Thanks! It's appreciated.

I found the sound to be great, but the weapon sounds are totally muted for me. Are you playing on PC? Are you playing with 5.1?

On my PC in stereo with headphones the guns sound terrible...

Playing on PC with my Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones set in 5.1 through my soundcard. Sounds amazing.

Kurdel

Banned
So far the game plays and looks amazing on my GTX 660ti.

Taking a break, because the first 2 hours are pretty intense.

Guri

So basically they purposely removed the FOV.

Anywhoo, what does the steam patch fix? Its 9mb of mystery.

The game isn't unlocked for me yet, but I talked to Huw on Twitter about AMD issues and he said that the game now defaults PhysX off for AMD cards. It's probably that.

Top Bottom