• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
Anyone currently playing normal Ranger mode? How is it difficulty-wise? Trying to decide if I can manage it.

Played hardcore on my first go, wasn't too hard as I have died 4-5 entire game but heard 2033 was harder. Took 10 hours for me to complete and totally love it probably play again

GlamFM

Banned
Man this game it great. I actually think it´s underrated.

My GOTY so far for sure. (Played Tomb Raider, Bioshock and Crysis 3 this year)

Will get 2033 this weekend - how does it hold up?

Elsolar

It was hitting performance too much in their engine. The performance hit for the amount of AA you got was inferior to SSAA.

They're comparing FXAA+2x SSAA to just 4x MSAA, when a more reasonable comparison would be between FXAA/2x SSAA and FXAA/2x MSAA. MSAA is by its very definition an optimized version of SSAA, I can't see why under any circumstances the latter would outperform the former.

Feindflug

Guys I have a question, I got the game (PAL 360 version) and there is no code for Ranger mode in it...was the Ranger DLC only for the pre-orders? :(

I just started playing on the PS3, but the graphics is still pretty impressive, especially the lighting is really well done.

I didn't play the first game, just out of curiosity, was the entire world in nuclear war or just Russia? Who started it? I looked up the book and the first game on Wikipedia, the entries only mention "post-apocalyptic Moscow".

Guys I have a question, I got the game (PAL 360 version) and there is no code for Ranger mode in it...was the Ranger DLC only for the pre-orders? :(
Have you checked the back of the manual? Mine is printed on there.

GlamFM

Banned

My copy looks like this:

qIdU67F.jpg

If it doesn´t say Ranger Mode on the box you´re probably out of luck.

Cerity

Just got up to
the church and have watched the cutscene where the rogue ranger attacks the base and drags anna away

Please tell me the story refocuses. After seeing that I pretty much want to drop the game, did the author of 2033 really write last light as well?

In light of that Jason Rubin article about the terrible working conditions for Metro Last Light devs, had to buy it:

What do I need to know about Ranger Hardcore before heading directly into it? I heard you don't get to see ammo when you pull up the journal like in 2033? That can't be possible, so you're going blind?

You can quite obviously count your current ammo in your magazine... but beyond that you are pretty clueless.

Another thing to know is how to switch between grenade types and throwing knives.

Hit TAB and then move around with the mouse in NSWE directions... you should hear the respective sounds for which item you have selected.

I was hoping you would have a "The darkness" or "alone in the dark" like selection syste m.. but you cannot have everything.

What do I need to know about Ranger Hardcore before heading directly into it? I heard you don't get to see ammo when you pull up the journal like in 2033? That can't be possible, so you're going blind?

It is possible, there's is absolutely no way to check your ammo outside of towns. Although I'm pretty sure all guns have visible clips so you know how many you have left if the slots are empty upon reloading. It's bizarre given I'm almost sure they showed ammunition check animations before the game came out.

The main thing you need to know is how to switch secondary animation because it's really hard to figure out on your own.

Hold TAB:
Mouse Up: Throwing Knives
Mouse Right: Incendiaries
Mouse Down: Claymores
Mouse Left: Grenades (also keep in mind you can no longer cook them)
You use C to throw them.

Hilariously instead of mapping these to actual buttons, they force you to use the same radial menu but it's now invisible. Otherwise it is pretty easy due to the new stealth knock outs. V will kill them, but pressing E will just knock them out.

My main complaint about the game outside of the smoke quibble is that the secondaries are just quick use items now, in 2033 they were physical items you held and the animations for them were great. You'll never know how many knives you hold now. And you can't cook grenades, it's really silly.

Feindflug

Have you checked the back of the manual? Mine is printed on there.

My copy looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/qIdU67F.jpg

If it doesn´t say Ranger Mode on the box you´re probably out of luck.[/QUOTE]

My copy is the regular edition so no it doesn't look like this, I guess I'm out of luck and I'm definitely not gonna spend 5e for a difficulty setting. I was looking forward to play this in Ranger mode...oh well. T_T

Funny thing is that my copy came with a code for this crappy weapon:

[IMG]http://www.plaisio.gr/Images/Content/Games/Products/1902598/metro-limited-edition.jpg

GlamFM

Banned
My copy is the regular edition so no it doesn't look like this, I guess I'm out of luck and I'm definitely not gonna spend 5e for a difficulty setting. I was looking forward to play this in Ranger mode...oh well. T_T

Funny thing is that my copy came with a code for this crappy weapon:

metro-limited-edition.jpg

Lucky me. Picked my copy up here in Germany without even preordering it.

Didn´t know what i was getting.

It is possible, there's is absolutely no way to check your ammo outside of towns. Although I'm pretty sure all guns have visible clips so you know how many you have left if the slots are empty upon reloading. It's bizarre given I'm almost sure they showed ammunition check animations before the game came out.

The main thing you need to know is how to switch secondary animation because it's really hard to figure out on your own.

Hold TAB:
Mouse Up: Throwing Knives
Mouse Right: Incendiaries
Mouse Down: Claymores
Mouse Left: Grenades (also keep in mind you can no longer cook them)
You use C to throw them.

Hilariously instead of mapping these to actual buttons, they force you to use the same radial menu but it's now invisible. Otherwise it is pretty easy due to the new stealth knock outs. V will kill them, but pressing E will just knock them out.

My main complaint about the game outside of the smoke quibble is that the secondaries are just quick use items now, in 2033 they were physical items you held and the animations for them were great. You'll never know how many knives you hold now.[/B[ And you can't cook grenades, it's really silly.

Can you check the ammo with idle animations like this?
iU8SrtPIvgk58.gif

That switching weapons and stuff sounds screwy.

That bit about throwing knives is brutal, those are the essential weapons for stealth! I guess I can make a mental check.

I hear the devs said you can legit ghost in the game (not touching a single enemy, just walk past every level) like Mark of the Ninja or Dishonored?

I might just risk it if the AI is better, because in the first game you can't just stealth all the way and they would be able to spot you from behind cover.

GlamFM

Banned

WOW:

With the release of Metro: Last Light, developer 4A Games brings to the table the most technically dazzling game since Crysis 3 first graced our screens three months ago. Building on its in-house 4A Engine that debuted with cult hit Metro 2033, it's something of a technological wonder, with DirectX 11 features like tessellation, cutting-edge lighting effects and advanced PhysX realising its barren, Pripyat-inspired environments.

Also very cool:

...However, the PS3 version of Metro: Last Light takes a well-deserved second spot in the running. Given that this is 4A Games' first fully committed release on the console, this puts the studio in very good stead for future multi-platform projects.

Can you check the ammo with idle animations like this?
iU8SrtPIvgk58.gif

That switching weapons and stuff sounds screwy.

That bit about throwing knives is brutal, those are the essential weapons for stealth! I guess I can make a mental check.

I hear the devs said you can legit ghost in the game (not touching a single enemy, just walk past every level) like Mark of the Ninja or Dishonored?

I might just risk it if the AI is better, because in the first game you can't just stealth all the way and they would be able to spot you from behind cover.

You can definitely ghost pretty much all the human sections. If someone gets in your way.. no problem with knocking em out. I think there is an achievement for not murdering anyone in the game...

Not sure how you can get away with that during some scenes... but it must be possible!

You can definitely ghost pretty much all the human sections. If someone gets in your way.. no problem with knocking em out. I think there is an achievement for not murdering anyone in the game...

Not sure how you can get away with that during some scenes... but it must be possible!

Achievements for non-lethal run, oh yeah!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Played hardcore on my first go, wasn't too hard as I have died 4-5 entire game but heard 2033 was harder. Took 10 hours for me to complete and totally love it probably play again

Wow, I died maybe twice on Normal non-range mode. Wonder if I can do Ranger...

The only times I died were when the stupid monsters overwhelmed me. Generally "wait for___" sections.

Vancha

Really loved the game and the atmosphere, played it on the 360 as I know my pc can't run it on maximum (even if it would look better still). Didn't really think the english voice actors were that teriffic compared to the Russian voice-overs, but the side characters talking while you're walking around as a nice touch.

I also made a quick look at it for anyone still wondering weither getting it or not, feel free to check it out :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcDjaxbMr5I

Is this Bastard gun with crazy night-vision long-range scope (is this the custom gun these dudes were talking about?) worth taking or should I stick with my default AK-47 with silencer and reflex sight?

iWeeN5chhZgQR.jpg

ibrbs8plPFG6Jx.jpg

I probably won't be using this to shoot someone, just to shoot out lights if they're too high up. Plus, for Ranger Hardcore makes it easier to see the ammo right there.

Oreoleo

The wording is more like, "Don't kill anyone you don't have to." There was one guy at the end of a station after I killed a bunch of Reds that was like "Please! Don't shoot I am unarmed!" but I shot him anyway and my screen flashed white in a very obvious "You shouldn't have done that" manner. So I don't think it's even close to 'don't kill ANYONE'

Stuck with that Bastard gun, but now I have a pneumatic rifle with cool scope in my sights.
iCTunCaBile74.jpg

i5OcOanMfrwzy.jpg

Y U NO LET ME CARRY MORE THAN 2 GUNS?! Have they changed it from 4 weapons in 2033?

I can't just carry a pneumatic rifle as my primary, in case monsters and no stealth sections come up.

Guri

Guys, I know how the flashlight works and how to charge it (I've played Metro 2033) but I don't think I have the charger with me right now. Do you get it along the way or is there a key for it that is not on the controls (PC version)?

DSmalls84

Are there any keys for the locked chests and doors you encounter in the game? I am at the bridge section now and haven't figured out how to open them. Also how close am I to the end now? Played about 8 hours.

Guys, I know how the flashlight works and how to charge it (I've played Metro 2033) but I don't think I have the charger with me right now. Do you get it along the way or is there a key for it that is not on the controls (PC version)?

At the very start when they say "use your flashlight" you can't charge it. I tried many times. Later they tell you to charge it and you suddenly can.

Controls for it are the same as 2033. Hold "F" and keep clicking

Are there any keys for the locked chests and doors you encounter in the game? I am at the bridge section now and haven't figured out how to open them. Also how close am I to the end now? Played about 8 hours.

I wondered this too. maybe you break them open or something? I didn't wanna shoot cos I would get found out

Will get 2033 this weekend - how does it hold up?

I just played it for the first time last weekend on my PC and think it still holds up real well. It is rough around the edges and I think that Last Light is the better game, but 2033 is still really solid. It might be a little strange going back to the less than stellar combat, but it still looks fantastic, the atmosphere is amazing, and I think it is more tense than Last Light.

Is this Bastard gun with crazy night-vision long-range scope (is this the custom gun these dudes were talking about?) worth taking or should I stick with my default AK-47 with silencer and reflex sight?

iWeeN5chhZgQR.jpg

ibrbs8plPFG6Jx.jpg

I probably won't be using this to shoot someone, just to shoot out lights if they're too high up. Plus, for Ranger Hardcore makes it easier to see the ammo right there.

That is a great gun...

The other gun you are talking about is detailed in the spoiler.

the secret custom gun that one dude was talking about is accessed by following him as he goes to his locker to admire it, he opens it up and then you can take him down and get the custom gun (it is a semi auto, stock, silenced, reflex site pistol).

Just out of interest, are you guys playing the game with russian voices or in your native language?

I was going to go with Russian with subs for my first playthrough but when I heard that lots of the ambient dialogue wasn't subtitled I decided to go English for my first playthrough just so I could hear all the dialogue.

But I'm going to start a second playthrough in Russian and might even completely turn off the subtitles.

DSmalls84

At the very start when they say "use your flashlight" you can't charge it. I tried many times. Later they tell you to charge it and you suddenly can.

Controls for it are the same as 2033. Hold "F" and keep clicking

I wondered this too. maybe you break them open or something? I didn't wanna shoot cos I would get found out

I'm pretty sure I tried shooting the locks off of a few doors and it didn't work.

I was going to go with Russian with subs for my first playthrough but when I heard that lots of the ambient dialogue wasn't subtitled I decided to go English for my first playthrough just so I could hear all the dialogue.

But I'm going to start a second playthrough in Russian and might even completely turn off the subtitles.

That's true. If you want to understand everything, playing in your language would be favourable. I went with russian and I can understand the majority of it, but I still need subtitles because I'm not very good in it.

Uriah

I recommend abusing the fact that you can survive for some time without your mask on outdoors in order to save filters.

Yo, this game on Ranger Hardcore spits out way more ammo than I expected. I keep on being full on my pistol and bastard gun ammo! I wish you could keep extra ammo to sell off in shops.

4 hours in now (on Echoes now), man loving this. So many more stealth options, non-lethal run is so satisfying!

This dude is gearing up for the next Rocky fight with his MMA

iFq1GKNVlfkM0.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MlK5MuLVnQ

Just finished the game. Great, great stuff. It's such a refreshingly bleak look at the post-apocalypse.
Not sure what a sequel will look like since the normal ending in pretty conclusive.

Animator

I know I am sounding like a shill for the game but holy shit this is hands down the most immersive and best looking game ever made. I can't even think of anything that comes close.

I was in total awe in that
bridge
level with the heavy rain and wind and creatures running around you.

Cramoss

Man, just like the first one, I love the parts when you're on your own and not following some dude. Those 2 chapters where
you're on a car or something exploring the metro by yourself
are the reason why I play these games

Facism

does anyone know where this saves to on PC?

I'm still fucking dumbfounded how in 2013 PC developers neglect profiles and manual saves. My bro wants to give the game ago and he can't because of this stupid "CHECKPOINT SAVE ONLY LOL" idiocy.

Top Bottom