• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
I believe I got the "Good ending". Artyom dies saving the Metro, he has a child, and the Dark Ones vow to return eventually.

That was the bad ending. I got it as well, but checked out the other on youtube. I kinda hate multiple endings. Seems so pointless.

Finished in a little over 8 hours. Absolutely love the atmosphere of this game. The boss-fights I could do without. Especially the ones that don't really communicate whether you are wasting bullets or not. Which is most of them, but not all of the time. Fighting humans was definitely the most fun. I might try an all stealth run in a few months, but killing people is simply too much fun in this game. Animal type of enemies were mostly uninteresting and repetitive though. I liked better to just explore the wasteland those few great moments when the designers used the great atmosphere of the dead city instead of making you shoot the wolf-pack guys over and over.

That being said, I loved this game. The lighting effects in this game are simply fantastic. There were a few scenes where I just had to stand there to admire how great everything looked.

Graphically, I'm the most impressed with how amazing the environments looked so lived in. Attention to every fine detail.

Yep, every nook and cranny has something in it and it really feels like a proper environment.

I'm just gonna say that I think this looks better than Crysis 3 and by a good bit more too. I know C3 is technically doing more and is more advanced in areas but the overall picture in M:LL is just gorgeous all the time. That and Crysis 3 has crap art style and after the grass or dam level all the environments and visuals sort of trail off and look like they were rushed.

I mean it's hard to actually think this is in game and it played out in front of me. It looks like a concept art image or something
metroll2013051520565620.png

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Been loving this game but I have to run it on my PC with Tesselation off, otherwise its a slide-show. How much am I missing out, visually? I've got it otherwise on Very High @ 1080p (Blur I put on Low because I hate motion blur generally).

DSmalls84

That was the bad ending. I got it as well, but checked out the other on youtube. I kinda hate multiple endings. Seems so pointless.

Finished in a little over 8 hours. Absolutely love the atmosphere of this game. The boss-fights I could do without. Especially the ones that don't really communicate whether you are wasting bullets or not. Which is most of them, but not all of the time. Fighting humans was definitely the most fun. I might try an all stealth run in a few months, but killing people is simply too much fun in this game. Animal type of enemies were mostly uninteresting and repetitive though. I liked better to just explore the wasteland those few great moments when the designers used the great atmosphere of the dead city instead of making you shoot the wolf-pack guys over and over.

That being said, I loved this game. The lighting effects in this game are simply fantastic. There were a few scenes where I just had to stand there to admire how great everything looked.

Hmm strange I
spared the lives of the soldiers when given the option and figured that was probably the tipping point for which ending you got. I guess it must take into account how many kills you have over the course of the game

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just escaped from
the Reich
and so far I have to say this game feels minimally interactive. I don't feel like I've had more than 1 or 2 actual combat encounters. It's so heavily directed and guided. Is the game going to start soon? Pavel is non-stop talking.

Gold_Loot

I just escaped from
the Reich
and so far I have to say this game feels minimally interactive. I don't feel like I've had more than 1 or 2 actual combat encounters. It's so heavily directed and guided. Is the game going to start soon? Pavel is non-stop talking.
I was having that same feeling the first few hours.It does ease it's grip, but it takes it's time in doing so. I'm enjoying it alot more now further in.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I just escaped from
the Reich

Yeah, I had the same complaints but it does open up soon--at least a little. There is one particular section which was incredible so I'm hoping that continues.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Interestingly, with all the Super Metroid talk here lately, that's what LL reminds me of in those moments of brilliance when you're exploring off on you're on, alone and terrified in a hostile world.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Too much clipping and flickering going on with tesselation on high or very high (any setting that applies it on environments rather than just characters/objects), will they somehow resolve that or just leave it broken because it would be too much work? I hope it's some issue they can fix with a catch all patch rather than a world modeling issue that would mean they need to redo each and every problematic area manually. Shame though. For a game so praised for its visuals it really has way too many flaws, inconsistencies, amateur elements, etc. It's not bad considering the budget and that the game's good but, graphics are more than handpicked screenshots.

Too much clipping and flickering going on with tesselation on high or very high (any setting that applies it on environments rather than just characters/objects), will they somehow resolve that or just leave it broken because it would be too much work? I hope it's some issue they can fix with a catch all patch rather than a world modeling issue that would mean they need to redo each and every problematic area manually. Shame though. For a game so praised for its visuals it really has way too many flaws, inconsistencies, amateur elements, etc. It's not bad considering the budget and that the game's good but, graphics are more than handpicked screenshots.

I have yet to experience any flickering or clipping with tesselation. Are you heavily overclocked or something?

Also... almost every second of this game looks good. I do not think many people are handpicking screenshots to make it look better...

In fact.. it looks better in motion due to the animations and great motionblur.

I am positive they use the word Stalker in the English dub. Ive heard the Reds use it more than once. Maybe rangers and stalkers are two different groups.
In the novel Stalkers are simply the Rangers: the heavily armed guys who go to the surface to scrounge for supplies. The badasses of the metro. Plus with the Russian audio they always refer to the Rangers as Stalkers.

eshwaaz

Just got to Venice - enjoying the hell out of this. I liked the first, but having more fun here.

I'm playing on 360, and can't get over how great it looks on 8 year old hardware. I can't imagine how amazing it is on a capable PC. The attention to detail is incredible, putting many higher profile games to shame. The lived-in feel and believable sense-of-place are consistently impressive - very powerful.

The folks at 4A are incredibly talented. The Jason Rubin write-up makes it even more of an accomplishment.

sunnz

Is this graphically worse or better than the first

Indoors it is better, that is saying something considering even to this day 2033 looks amazing in doors.

Outdoors it is A LOT better graphically, very good looking game, maybe not the best BUT with the atmosphere of this game it does feel the best in a way.

Yep, every nook and cranny has something in it and it really feels like a proper environment.

I'm just gonna say that I think this looks better than Crysis 3 and by a good bit more too. I know C3 is technically doing more and is more advanced in areas but the overall picture in M:LL is just gorgeous all the time. That and Crysis 3 has crap art style and after the grass or dam level all the environments and visuals sort of trail off and look like they were rushed.

I mean it's hard to actually think this is in game and it played out in front of me. It looks like a concept art image or something
metroll2013051520565620.png

I agree with that. I got the same feeling that all their time went into the grass and dam level.

I agree with that. I got the same feeling that all their time went into the grass and dam level.

I think a lot of people would agree. Once the night time levels hit in Crysis 3 it's very bland and unimpressive. The very end level has it's wow moments though but those really open levels were very dull, they didn't even have anything in the distance to look at, the world just seemed to get cut off, they felt very very rushed.

Last light is far more consistent and that's why it wins in my book :)

bumclot

I have yet to experience any flickering or clipping with tesselation. Are you heavily overclocked or something?

Also... almost every second of this game looks good. I do not think many people are handpicking screenshots to make it look better...

I have also noticed some unnatural flickering and I'm not OC'd. It really hasn't taken away from my enjoyment though, the game looks amazing. I don't think it's handpicking screenshots as much as 4A has just packed Last Light with great visuals.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm just not feeling this. I'm at
Venice
. The first game felt so much more dire and dark. Like everything, from the environments to the music to the story. The societies in this game honestly feel more organized, more successful, and less desperate. Everything in general feels less makeshift. There's just...abundance everywhere.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

It's like when in other games you have textures overlapping each other and they both flicker on and off like the engne doesn't know which should be drawn and which shouldn't. It's very apparent in many areas and goes away if you turn tessellation down to normal or off. Other people have mentioned it too. It's ok if you don't see it, maybe it's a bug for certain setups, maybe you didn't notice it, jumping at the conclusion it's someone's PC out of nowhere is silly. My GPU is OC by default, I haven't adjusted it further. It remains extremely cool in most games, except this one where it can reach up to 70c, though this happens even while it's cool in simple areas.

It happens around a wall light in the first area, under the first rusted out chopper remains, at the stairs or whatever where you ring a bell, you know where. It's extremely common depending on the area. The rest issues I mentioned that bring down the presentation are things like bad foliage, weird warping trees (regardless of tessellation), bad textures, bad animations, your shadow having no crouched version when you have no weapon out in the city areas, your shadow's knees having something floating next to them from the side (at least in Venice I noticed it), some killed enemies remaining standing upright like statues, and so on. Also non graphical issues like an enemy landing on my head even though I had taken shelter under somewhat of a roof and an area where the framerate tanked for no reason. Things like that bring the AAA feel way down.

My point about screenshots was that such issues aren't visible in them. I even tried to screenshot some of these when I was in those areas but the most you could see was some out of place line that might as well be dirt.

scitek

Is this worth buying if I wasn't a huge fan of the first? I actually love everything about the story and atmosphere, but the awful combat is keeping me from finishing it. Tempted to grab a Nvidia Ebay code for $25.

I'm not a huge fan of the first, in fact I've never finished it because the AI pisses me off, but I think this game is much better. The combat is much improved, and I've had a lot of fun just wandering around and soaking everything in.

legacyzero

Banned
How high can you set the FOV before it starts to "break" the animations and cutscenes?

I think right away. I tried upping it from 50 to 65 and the red jelly that gets on your screen doesn't go all the way to the sides. It's weird. I'm debating changing it back. I wasn't too particularly bothered by it as default anyway.

I could probably go for higher since I mostly use FXAA.
FXAA is already automatically enabled. Hell, I'm not even using the SSAA that the game provides either. Shit eats performance like Peanut M&M's.

kotor22

Had no idea this was out on mac also until I logged into my steam account on mac os x, anyways, I'm having a weird glitch that when I open a door , right after that animation ends im stuck and i cant do anything but look around , this happen to anyone else?

Metal-Geo

A rather unsatisfying experience for me, sadly.

Graphics were gorgeous, and it ran surprisingly smooth with everything at highest settings (plus SweetFX SMAA injector). Gunplay was also pretty tight and the sound design, bar the horrible English voicework, was also quite top notch. But unfortunately the story did very little for me. And the fact the game relies pretty much on it, it felt more like an obstacle than anything.

Kind of regret buying it day 1. I should've learned my lesson with Metro 2033, which was very similar in being rather unsatisfying. But oh well. Doesn't look like
we're getting another Metro anyway, judging from the endings.

pa22word

I just escaped from
the Reich

I'm just not feeling this. I'm at
Venice
. The first game felt so much more dire and dark. Like everything, from the environments to the music to the story. The societies in this game honestly feel more organized, more successful, and less desperate. Everything in general feels less makeshift. There's just...abundance everywhere.

Can definitely sympathize with you here. Game overall just feels like they took STALKER and ran it through a focus testing machine and this came out on the other side.

I think right away. I tried upping it from 50 to 65 and the red jelly that gets on your screen doesn't go all the way to the sides. It's weird. I'm debating changing it back. I wasn't too particularly bothered by it as default anyway.

FXAA is already automatically enabled. Hell, I'm not even using the SSAA that the game provides either. Shit eats performance like Peanut M&M's.

So it looks okay with just the FXAA automatically assigned? Some games look like shit with FXAA while some others look like they are with MSAA or such.

legacyzero

Banned
So it looks okay with just the FXAA automatically assigned? Some games look like shit with FXAA while some others look like they are with MSAA or such.

Apparently, it's 4A's version called "AAA" I think I read.

But yeah, it looks ok. Still some visible jaggies if you go looking for them.

Top Bottom