• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

sunnz

So I am like 4 hours in and... this is one pretty INCREDIBLE game, it has been a LONG time since I have been this much into a game, time flies by.

GOTY contender to me, even with this years crazy list of games.

Also anyone find the box within the box within the box within the box for M. bullet? Made me laugh out loud more than I expected it would have, pretty awesome to see.

Stealth is way too easy now which is annoying, you can walk so close to someone as long as the light is out, massive step backwards to the a lot more difficult but rewarding 2033, but nothing too bad.

Also, them fucking spiders... fuck that.

is this an apparent problem for 360.

i haven't press start on the menu, and the game froze on me twice already.

EDIT: nvm there's a huge smudge on the disc

Wanny

Cleared! Some scenes were absolutely breath taking with all the tesselation work and other eye candy effects. I was impressed as much as I did with Crysis 3 tbh.

Worth every penny.

They are now ready for a full fledged open world game like Stalker right? :)

Lingitiz

Is this worth buying if I wasn't a huge fan of the first? I actually love everything about the story and atmosphere, but the awful combat is keeping me from finishing it. Tempted to grab a Nvidia Ebay code for $25.

DukeBobby

Currently on the
Regina
chapter. The game is absolutely fantastic so far.

But, damn, those scorpions scare the shit out of me. That scuttling sound...

Is this worth buying if I wasn't a huge fan of the first? I actually love everything about the story and atmosphere, but the awful combat is keeping me from finishing it. Tempted to grab a Nvidia Ebay code for $25.

The combat is vastly improved. It retains everything you loved about the first one, too.

dubq

I get that hardcore ranger mode is no hand holding, but some basic control overview would've been fucking nice. How the hell do I wipe the grime off of my mask in the ps3 version? I can't find this detailed anywhere aside from "tap G in the PC version".

Cleared! Some scenes were absolutely breath taking with all the tesselation work and other eye candy effects. I was impressed as much as I did with Crysis 3 tbh.

Worth every penny.

They are now ready for a full fledged open world game like Stalker right? :)

That's all I can think of playing this. How badly I want a new STALKER. Have the openness of STALKER with the indoors and intimacy of Metro. Now THAT would be awesome

KPJZKC

I really, really enjoyed the combat, very satisfying.

However, I got a bit tired from playing too long so took a break. When I went back to it I found out I had quit like 30 seconds before the end of the game :(

Really came out of nowhere, and it was fairly disappointing.

On the bright side I got about 15 minutes of lapdances.

RedSwirl

Is it possible to play either of the Metro games in Russian with English subtitles? Or are the voices only recorded in English?

Went from pre-AMD patch struggling on low without SSAA on PC to post-patch smooth on high/some struggling on very high with SSAA. Nice fix 4A.

Is it possible to play either of the Metro games in Russian with English subtitles? Or are the voices only recorded in English?

The gameplay options from the main menu for both 2033 and Last Light allow you to switch the spoken and written language from English to Russia and enable subtitles.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately, the subs only cover certain, important dialogue moments.

Nekrono

I'm having a hard time playing this on Ranger Mode, I'm not playing Ranger Hardcore but still I don't get any prompts or tutorials, If I didn't play earlier today on Normal I wouldn't have found out that you could clean your mask, or that you get to choose to kill or knock out enemies.

I don't want to stop playing Ranger mode but I'm afraid I'm going to miss out on some mechanics, can someone please write down the things you can do and they keys to perform them (I'm playing on PC)?

Thanks.

sunnz

I'm having a hard time playing this on Ranger Mode, I'm not playing Ranger Hardcore but still I don't get any prompts or tutorials, If I didn't play earlier today on Normal I wouldn't have found out that you could clean your mask, or that you get to choose to kill or knock out enemies.

I don't want to stop playing Ranger mode but I'm afraid I'm going to miss out on some mechanics, can someone please write down the things you can do and they keys to perform them (I'm playing on PC)?

Thanks.

I guess, T to change filters when mask is on

on your watch, if the blue light is on it means you are visible and not hidden, if you are hidden you will ONLY see the minutes left of your filter, no blue light

Hold R ( reload) to change bullets to the military rounds, good for extra damage and accuracy

Nekrono

I guess, T to change filters when mask is on

on your watch, if the blue light is on it means you are visible and not hidden, if you are hidden you will ONLY see the minutes left of your filter, no blue light

Hold R ( reload) to change bullets to the military rounds, good for extra damage and accuracy

Thanks! BTW how do you clean your mask and choose to kill/knock out people? When I played earlier I played with a controller, I don't know how to do that on a keyboard.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! BTW how do you clean your mask and choose to kill/knock out people? When I played earlier I played with a controller, I don't know how to do that on a keyboard.

Clean mask: tap G

Knockout: E

Just finished the game, so awesome. But I'm not sure what ending I got. My ending was
where I blew up D6. The Dark One walked away with his family
. That's the good ending I believe. How to trigger the other one? Took me 8 hours to complete the game.
Edit: Ah no, bad ending I got. Was the bad ending.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game, so awesome. But I'm not sure what ending I got. My ending was
where I blew up D6. The Dark One walked away with his family
. That's the good ending I believe. How to trigger the other one? Took me 8 hours to complete the game.
Edit: Ah no, bad ending I got. Was the bad ending.

Ending spoiler stuff below:
If you want the good ending, minimize how many people you kill, and get as many moral points as you can.

Thanks.

Ricochetguro made a nice post on the last page:

It is possible, there's is absolutely no way to check your ammo outside of towns. Although I'm pretty sure all guns have visible clips so you know how many you have left if the slots are empty upon reloading. It's bizarre given I'm almost sure they showed ammunition check animations before the game came out.

The main thing you need to know is how to switch secondary animation because it's really hard to figure out on your own.

Hold TAB:
Mouse Up: Throwing Knives
Mouse Right: Incendiaries
Mouse Down: Claymores
Mouse Left: Grenades (also keep in mind you can no longer cook them)
You use C to throw them.

Hilariously instead of mapping these to actual buttons, they force you to use the same radial menu but it's now invisible. Otherwise it is pretty easy due to the new stealth knock outs. V will kill them, but pressing E will just knock them out.

My main complaint about the game outside of the smoke quibble is that the secondaries are just quick use items now, in 2033 they were physical items you held and the animations for them were great. You'll never know how many knives you hold now. And you can't cook grenades, it's really silly.

Unfortunately, the subs only cover certain, important dialogue moments.

It still covers incidental NPC dialogue but not the really small one-sentence stuff. Kind of hard to gauge, because couldn't understand anything the
concentration camp prisoners
were saying lol. Worth sticking with though because of the better voice acting.

I spam the wipe mask more than I should...

It's ok, bro. I've got a thing for FPS hands so it's nice to see the fingerless glove up close.

ipdr7pxhxZY1Z.gif

thumb

Banned
I have the PSN download version. The game starts up, gets to the language select screen, and then stops responding to input. It can still quit via the PS button, so it hasn't frozen, but I'm still stuck. Any suggestions?

Oreoleo

Incredible game. i feel it nips at the heels of the half life titles.
I agree. For as rough and uneven as 2033 was, Last Light really deserves the HL2 comparisons. Maybe doesnt hit quite the same highs as HL2 but they share very similar design philosophies. A similar ebb and flow to the combat, the way they aren't afraid to slow the game down for dialogue and world building, the attention to detail in the scenery, the car segment, first person view is never broken, mini-boss fights. 4A learned a lot of lessons from the first game and it shows.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Like Metro 2033, the English dub is really not very good. The translation seems goofy and the voice work is a mixed bag. I really don't want to turn on Russian vocals either, as that means subtitles, and this is the kind of game that works best with as few HUD details as possible.

Sure is ridiculously pretty.

met1j0u7p.png

met2gbuuz.png

GlamFM

Banned
I agree. For as rough and uneven as 2033 was, Last Light really deserves the HL2 comparisons. Maybe doesnt hit quite the same highs as HL2 but they share very similar design philosophies. A similar ebb and flow to the combat, the way they aren't afraid to slow the game down for dialogue and world building, the attention to detail in the scenery, the car segment, first person view is never broken, mini-boss fights. 4A learned a lot of lessons from the first game and it shows.

I agree, and that is also why I think this game is underrated. It's the best FPS campaign in years.

Cerity

finished it up today.

2nd half >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1st half. By a very, very long mile. It brought back what I loved about 2033. Just a shame that there weren't any librarians in the game.

Like Metro 2033, the English dub is really not very good. The translation seems goofy and the voice work is a mixed bag. I really don't want to turn on Russian vocals either, as that means subtitles, and this is the kind of game that works best with as few HUD details as possible.

Doing Russian voices for me, really liking it. Picking up new words to learn, too!

Zocano

finished it up today.

2nd half >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1st half. By a very, very long mile. It brought back what I loved about 2033. Just a shame that there weren't any librarians in the game.

I don't know. I disagree for the most part. I'll just go ahead and spoiler everything so it just makes it easier to talk (full game spoilers):

I think as a whole the game is a bit too action heavy. It feels like first person uncharted at times, trying to be too theatrical and cinematic and not capitalizing on the series' strengths. The railcart section was excellent and felt a lot like Half Life 2's Highway 17. I love when games give me the option to explore smaller dense little sections like in the railcart section each with its own little bit of uniqueness (a spidernest, a watchmen ambush, a room full of ghosts). The swamp was tense and mostly perfect*. The dead city was eerie and haunting and having the child narrate everything was depressing. However, I feel that the game relies a bit too strongly on "set pieces". I'm aware it is a linear game a la Half Life but its strengths aren't in its linearity and action but rather drowning the player in atmosphere. The boss fights and the very heavy action scenarios (the entire train section and finale specifically) just didn't mesh with me and I was a bit put off by them-- especially the end. I felt 2033 was more consistent in its atmosphere and goal (perhaps I am just remembering it poorly but I recall fewer sections like that than in Last Light), and I feel many moments brought down the overall experience in Last Light and in the swamps case sort of left a sour taste in what was otherwise a very thrilling and tense area.

*Basically what happened in the swamp was that I had gotten to the boss fight with 1 minute of air left. I had spent a lot of time making my way up to that and spending too much time fighting the boss when it showed up just a bit earlier and wasting a lot of my ammo and a lot of my air. I basically used all of my military grade ammo to take it down quickly enough and even then had to spend the entire fight constantly taking my mask off and putting it back on just to extend the amount of air I could breathe. It wasn't a fun fight and just left a sour taste in my mouth after finishing the swamp.

Oh, and to quickly note, the story didn't really gel with me either. The forced romance was a bit laughable. I liked that they focused on the "human" struggle more which was nice, but the writing (I played in Russian-- I understand it, too) and general character developments just didn't feel natural enough or interesting enough. It just felt sort of throwaway? Some parts were just bad (specifically the way they used Anna as a character) and some parts were just cliche and ineffective to me. It "worked" as far as serving as a motivation in the story but other than that it just didn't do anything for me.

Cerity

I don't know. I disagree for the most part. I'll just go ahead and spoiler everything so it just makes it easier to talk (full game spoilers):

I think as a whole the game is a bit too action heavy. It feels like first person uncharted at times, trying to be too theatrical and cinematic and not capitalizing on the series' strengths. The railcart section was excellent and felt a lot like Half Life 2's Highway 17. I love when games give me the option to explore smaller dense little sections like in the railcart section each with its own little bit of uniqueness (a spidernest, a watchmen ambush, a room full of ghosts). The swamp was tense and mostly perfect*. The dead city was eerie and haunting and having the child narrate everything was depressing. However, I feel that the game relies a bit too strongly on "set pieces". I'm aware it is a linear game a la Half Life but its strengths aren't in its linearity and action but rather drowning the player in atmosphere. The boss fights and the very heavy action scenarios (the entire train section and finale specifically) just didn't mesh with me and I was a bit put off by them-- especially the end. I felt 2033 was more consistent in its atmosphere and goal (perhaps I am just remembering it poorly but I recall fewer sections like that than in Last Light), and I feel many moments brought down the overall experience in Last Light and in the swamps case sort of left a sour taste in what was otherwise a very thrilling and tense area.

*Basically what happened in the swamp was that I had gotten to the boss fight with 1 minute of air left. I had spent a lot of time making my way up to that and spending too much time fighting the boss when it showed up just a bit earlier and wasting a lot of my ammo and a lot of my air. I basically used all of my military grade ammo to take it down quickly enough and even then had to spend the entire fight constantly taking my mask off and putting it back on just to extend the amount of air I could breathe. It wasn't a fun fight and just left a sour taste in my mouth after finishing the swamp.

Oh, and to quickly note, the story didn't really gel with me either. The forced romance was a bit laughable. I liked that they focused on the "human" struggle more which was nice, but the writing (I played in Russian-- I understand it, too) and general character developments just didn't feel natural enough or interesting enough. It just felt sort of throwaway? Some parts were just bad (specifically the way they used Anna as a character) and some parts were just cliche and ineffective to me. It "worked" as far as serving as a motivation in the story but other than that it just didn't do anything for me.

The first half of the game fell into a typical sequel syndrome, the story takes a turn in preparing for large scale war and choosing action over what made the first great - the world. That put me off the game a bit but I kept on, hoping for it to turn back and I nearly dropped the game when they reintroduced Anna. I started it up again and it was fantastic after that section.

When it comes to atmosphere and world, the 2nd half shines - bar the train and final section. It just about overshadowed everything else the game offered for me. It actually did feel like a wild environment and I loved navigating it, the child dark one highlighted it even further by being able to see what the animals were doing and how they interacted with each other, if briefly. I rushed through the swamp section only pulling over when I saw things to pick up, because it very much felt like I shouldn't be there at all.

The first half did have the rail buggy section, which definitely was cool but the entire human conflict bits of it put me off. If I wanted to see an action filled story about humans killing each other in droves, I'd go play CoD or something similar. And the first couple hours is nothing but that.

I agree that the game was too action heavy, a long with the amount of things you kill there are a saddening amount of QTE's, which are a magnitude worse if you're playing ranger. I ended up mashing E, space and l-click everytime I thought there might be a QTE.

legacyzero

Banned

Sure is ridiculously pretty.

[im]http://abload.de/img/met1j0u7p.png[/img]
met2gbuuz.png
Lol I've gotten used to the cheesy English VO.

DSmalls84

Just Finished the game. It took me 10 hours on normal.

+Stealth gameplay
+Graphics
+Story
+Atmosphere

-Boss fights
-Second half of the game seems to go heavier on the scripted story sections, not as much of the more open stealth sections.

I believe I got the "Good ending". Artyom dies saving the Metro, he has a child, and the Dark Ones vow to return eventually.

Overall I enjoyed the game and would probably score it in the 8.5/10 range.

Garibaldi

I bought it from Simplygames just a few hours ago and it had ranger mode. Guessing it will run out soon though and it's a bit of luck whether you will get it after now.

Cheers for the heads up guys. I just picked up my copy. I was gonna wait for the sale, but bad weather and boredom swayed me :)

I can confirm Simplygames are currently supplying the Ltd version keys with ranger mode for anyone who is interested.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fucking hell, the graphics.

met1iqo37.png

Top Bottom