• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

AndyBNV

Nvidia
metroll2013-05-1522-3xwlxq.png

Nope.

Nooope.

Nope, nope, nope.

Nein.

Nope.

Each of those spiders is tessellated, I shit you not.

x-Lundz-x

So playing on 360, and I am having terrible framerate issues. It just seems like its stuttering all over the place. I have the game installed like I do for every game. Anyone else have this issue?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Guys, this game is really great. Like really really great. I hope these guys get a lot of love for this.

So playing on 360, and I am having terrible framerate issues. It just seems like its stuttering all over the place. I have the game installed like I do for every game. Anyone else have this issue?

Didn't have any issues with 360 version till towards the end, like last hour or so. Other then that it was fine.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if this was posted:

Jason Rubin: Metro: Last Light is the "triumph of an underdog"

Pretty interesting article regarding 4A and the conditions under which Last Light was made.

This is worth it's own thread.

Anyway. Beat the game. Non-spoiler details: the atmosphere and visuals are as stunning as 2033's, sound is still good, stealth and shooting are good, creatures are varied and scary, and the story seemed a bit more fleshed out than the previous game's.

I would happily take a third game (and a patch for RHC that lets you check ammo levels when checking your journal. Basically, like the last game).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Alright I just got to the (possibly late game spoilers)
boss fight in the swamp before the church
and I have to say that when they said they learned from the Aomebas, they really didn't. This is the least fun part of the game by far, and by its very nature kind of goes against what Ranger Hardcore stands for. Really slayed whatever momentum I had.

This is worth it's own thread.

Anyway. Beat the game. Non-spoiler details: the atmosphere and visuals are as stunning as 2033's, sound is still good, stealth and shooting are good, creatures are varied and scary, and the story seemed a bit more fleshed out than the previous game's.

I would happily take a third game (and a patch for RHC that lets you check ammo levels when checking your journal. Basically, like the last game).

This. It's annoying having to guess how much spare ammo you have for the weapons you use. In going for a realistic "hardcore" experience you should be able to check yourself so you know. I don't know how that was overlooked. Seems like a no-brainer.

and I have to say that when they said they learned from the Aomebas, they really didn't. This is the least fun part of the game by far, and by its very nature kind of goes against what Ranger Hardcore stands for. Really slayed whatever momentum I had.

Completely agree. Bullet Sponge.
I thought I was doing something wrong because it was taking forever and bullets had no impact, I thought there was something you are supposed to hit. Nope. Bullet Sponge. Barring a few times I didn't see a trap, it was the first time I died. Leading up to that though was amazing. That swamp is fucking spooky.

and I have to say that when they said they learned from the Amoebas, they really didn't. This is the least fun part of the game by far, and by its very nature kind of goes against what Ranger Hardcore stands for. Really slayed whatever momentum I had.

Wasn't my favorite sequence but it's really quite easy and certainly not on the level of the hellish amoebas. I didn't die once in that section, just run around and place C4. A few more shots from your gun when Anna stuns her and she'll be done. It's really an easy section.

I don't really see the relation to the amoebas at all, they weren't really boss like and the trouble came from protecting your useless partner, not the creatures themselves.

And the game in general is a bit more prevalent in providing actiony moments, several hold out until ***** arrives and you can escape and boss encounters. Certainly a different kind of goal-set than the first game in places, although in general I feel the game holds true to 2033's atmosphere and world building.

Edit: Really? I played on Ranger Hardcore as well and the fight was over within 2 or 3 minutes. Surprised people are having any difficulty at all. Certainly wouldn't consider her a sponge.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The game saved for no reason during the fight while I had mistimed a jump and fell into the water trying to dodge one of the attacks. I died somehow. When the save reloaded, I was stuck underwater but in a walking-state. Only I can't move, because I'm under the level.

This is why we need fucking manual saves, 4A. This shit right here.

Hadn't died once while playing and then I hit the
catacombs under the church
and died probably 5 times. Not sure why, but that whole level was kinda frustrating. The quiet bits were creepy as hell though.

The game saved for no reason during the fight while I had mistimed a jump and fell into the water trying to dodge one of the attacks. I died somehow. When the save reloaded, I was stuck underwater but in a walking-state. Only I can't move, because I'm under the level.

This is why we need fucking manual saves, 4A. This shit right here.

Lol, the one glitch of that nature I experienced in the game was in the
swamps
when you're heading towards the
church
. I was being chased by the big baddie and fell in the water, when I came back to the land the monster was right there and as such I was inside it and had to restart. Will take a screenshot in a second of that moment.

Edit: Awful quality gif from the stream
metroresizekzus8.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
swamps
church
. I was being chased by the big baddie and fell in the water, when I came back to the land the monster was right there and as such I was inside it and had to restart. Will take a screenshot in a second of that moment.

metroresizekzus8.gif

Hahaha that's great.

After the
church
now, and I have to say that I feel 4A had a squeeze on at this point. Almost everything is bullet spongey, and I have had to fight one standoff and two boss fights in rapid succession with almost no ammo restocked between. I am at a boss fight that is completely impassible because I do not have enough equipment. Sorry to say they really let this one slip badly in the final moments.

EDIT: So it turns out, i'm not even 2/3rds the way there. I think I'm going to have to take a break and come back to this some other time.

Jharp

Game's awful goddamn purty:

Few questions, though. I'm playing on PC but with a controller on my TV- how the hell do you put on the mask with the controller? I tried the first and third controller presets, tried every button, and couldn't do it. I'm playing on Ranger Hardcore, so there was no on-screen prompt to explain which button to me. It's not shown in the controller diagram. How the fuck do you do it? I ended up just hitting it on my keyboard and continuing on with the game. I believe it was up on the dpad for Metro 2033, but that doesn't do it here.

Also, in Ranger Hardcore is there a way to check your ammo count? In 2033, even in Ranger Hardcore, you could check your ammo by holding the reload button if I remember correctly. Doesn't seem to work here.

cripterion

Game's awful goddamn purty:

Few questions, though. I'm playing on PC but with a controller on my TV- how the hell do you put on the mask with the controller? I tried the first and third controller presets, tried every button, and couldn't do it. I'm playing on Ranger Hardcore, so there was no on-screen prompt to explain which button to me. It's not shown in the controller diagram. How the fuck do you do it? I ended up just hitting it on my keyboard and continuing on with the game. I believe it was up on the dpad for Metro 2033, but that doesn't do it here.

Also, in Ranger Hardcore is there a way to check your ammo count? In 2033, even in Ranger Hardcore, you could check your ammo by holding the reload button if I remember correctly. Doesn't seem to work here.

Hold LB + X to put on/remove mask. Holding Y and a direction on the Dpad let's you select different throwable items (mines, grenades, knifes). Holding LB + left on the Dpad is for charging your light and LB + Y turns it on/off.

swamps
church

metroresizekzus8.gif
Yesterday I was playing through the
railcar part
and there are a few rooms on the left filled with those spider scorpion thingys where you have to turn on the power. I was trying to pick up a weapon from the ground when I got jumped by one of those things and entered the cinematic where you have to press E to fight it off. It glitched, I noclipped through the wall and right after that put back where I was just standing before. Me hands and weapon were gone and I couldn't do anything but walking and looking around. Flashlight, charger, tab key etc. Nothing worked. I walked up towards the power switch which you have to charge up, hoping triggering the cinematic would fix it. What happened was that Artyom pulled out the charger but he still had no hands. Just a floating charger. I had to restart and that fixed it.

Also, enemies couldn't attack me. They would walk up to me and do nothing

Jharp

Hold LB + X to put on/remove mask. Holding Y and a direction on the Dpad let's you select different throwable items (mines, grenades, knifes). Holding LB + left on the Dpad let's is for charging your light and LB + Y turns it on/off.

Okay, I can understand removing most HUD elements in Ranger hardcore... but giving absolutely zero representation of how to do these things seems kind of fucking absurd to me. Anyone else? Even 2033 had some HUD elements in Ranger Hardcore so, you know, you didn't miss out on entire fucking elements of the game.

The fuck, 4A?

UFRA

I love games with little details that aren't crucial gameplay mechanics, but are just cool to see.

For example:

-Wiping off you mask lens after you get blood splatter or mud on it
-Moisture build up inside your mask
-Turning lights on and off
-Having to recharge your battery manually rather than just "oh I randomly found a fully charged battery"
-How the watch tells the actual time, or the time left for your mask filter, and also your visibility status
-Your objective is on your hand written journal, rather than some HUD or a giant green arrow pointing where you need to go in 400m.
-Burning spider webs with your lighter
-Item boxes aren't "flashing" like in Far Cry 3 for example (I noticed weapons do this in Metro though) I like having to actually hunt for my supplies

Love this game.

cripterion

Yes for me technically the game is pretty good and the pace was nice too throughout the whole game. My only issue is with the story and characters. Totally breaks off the immersion for me.

Linch

Neo Member
After reading the Kotaku review (hur hur) it said people are having issues with framerates when using HDMI HD TVs.

Reading through this thread, it seems like some people are running on TVs and not monitors.

Any one had this issue?

This should run ok on my PC, this PC of mine when running at 720p on HDTV can manage no problem on that res.

Q6600 2.4GHZ
4GB RAM
6870 1GB AMD card.

Just beat it on Ranger Mode. Overall a great time. The game is insanely atmospheric. That aside though.

There are
3 boss
fights which are just giant bullet-sponges. They suck, and are not in line with the rest of the enemies you face, it was kind of dumb.
It's also really dumb that you can't check your ammo inventory on hardcore mode, I don't need a HUD to tell me how much is in my gun, but I'd like to be able to check my pockets or whatever to see how much ammo I have in reserve. I feel it's a pretty big oversight.

Also, when not actively engaged, the enemies are essentially blind as long as the light on your watch isn't blue. It was made way too forgiving, I was one of those masochist that liked the challenge of the first game, but you can literaly(I mean it, try it) jump up and down and strafe left and right 2 feet in front of an enemy without them noticing you. The dark isn't dark enough, even though your "cloaked/stealth-ed/hidden", it doesn't look like it to you as the player. It's weird what light conditions register as hidden and ones that don't.

Voice acting overall was serviceable. Animations are okay, but some of the NPC's are animated very awkwardly. Story was mostly great, except the ending, which fell a little flat to me.

I really enjoyed playing it though. The atmosphere is just top notch, there were a few times I actually jumped in my seat from being spooked. I can't wait to see what the modding community does with this game. It's only going to grow better with age. It also ran very well on my system, almost a constant 60 fps@1080p on very high settings with SSAA off, with a few really odd exceptions where there doesn't look to be anything taxing on the screen, but frame-rate just falls to 40 fps out of nowhere. But they were very rare occurrences. Can't wait to see more from this studio(hopefully) in the future. They've done 2 great games in a row.

After reading the Kotaku review (hur hur) it said people are having issues with framerates when using HDMI HD TVs.

Reading through this thread, it seems like some people are running on TVs and not monitors.

Any one had this issue?

This should run ok on my PC, this PC of mine when running at 720p on HDTV can manage no problem on that res.

Q6600 2.4GHZ
4GB RAM
6870 1GB AMD card.

I played on my 1080p monitor via HDMI with little issues. I imagine the game just drops framerate more consistently on the consoles?! Either way, it runs fine on PC.

Posting it here as well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57838484&postcount=322

A patch has been released on Steam to fix issues with AMD hardware, and improve performance for these cards. It's live now, but might take a few minutes to reach everyone. Restart your client or verify local files if it doesn't download automatically.

It also fixes a shadow visual corruption bug on AMD 7xxx cards, and fixes an issue with the game starting only in 3:1 resolution on some TVs.

In addition, you can now customize the FOV this way:

After starting the game up, the user.cfg will be updated with the r_base_fox attribute. You can find this in %LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL\. Tweak it at your leisure!

Linch

Neo Member
I played on my 1080p monitor via HDMI with little issues. I imagine the game just drops framerate more consistently on the consoles?! Either way, it runs fine on PC.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah I mean on a HDTV for the PC using HDMI instead of monitor. But if using a monitor or a VGA connection its fine. Just in the Kotaku review it stated:

That said, I couldn't get either machine to run the game well on my TV through HDMI; both games seemed stuck at 24-30 frames per second, no matter which settings or resolutions I chose. The only way to get them to run at a high framerate was to plug them into my PC monitor via DVI.

I suppose if worse comes to worse I can swap from HDMI to VGA for the game.

ultron87

Going up to stab one of the spiders after it flipped over, and therefore getting a nice detailed look at one, made them way worse.

Going up to stab one of the spiders after it flipped over, and therefore getting a nice detailed look at one, made them way worse.

Did not even know oyu dould do this. I was too nervous to even get close to them. I would just pump em full of lead when they flipped over.

holy fucking shit, that level with the fuel container shit is scary as all hell. had to lower the volume cause my nerves couldnt take it. Game just nails that feeling of vulnerability, that feeling that you can be blindsided by any kind of freak fucking mutant in a microsecond

scitek

I just tried playing 2033 again. My main problem's with the AI, specifically enemy awareness. I'll be sneaking around, then if I'm ever detected, getting shot at literally the second I step out from behind cover, even if it's in complete darkness. It's absolute garbage. Aside from that, I really like the movement and atmosphere, but the combat totally ruins it.

ultron87

The stealth in this seems almost too easy even on hard. But that makes it not frustrating, so that's fine. I was going to be mad about a stealth game where enemies can see bodies but you can't move bodies (which can be a big problem in some games) but it really hasn't hampered me yet.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hadn't died once while playing and then I hit the
catacombs under the church
and died probably 5 times. Not sure why, but that whole level was kinda frustrating. The quiet bits were creepy as hell though.

This is why I'm not sure I want to try ranger mode. The end of that level was hard on normal. There's a few difficulty spikes in the game that make me wonder if I can get through ranger mode.

amayo15

Banned

I was actually surprised by how good the frame rate is on 360 version...definitely one of the prettiest games ever and yet its running flawlessly on my Xbox (2010 250GB Slim). Might be your Xbox...try re-installing and also clearing your HDD cache - if that doesn't help its probably a hardware problem. Might be a sign of hard drive wear or graphics card issues.

Kydd BlaZe

I was actually surprised by how good the frame rate is on 360 version...definitely one of the prettiest games ever and yet its running flawlessly on my Xbox (2010 250GB Slim). Might be your Xbox...try re-installing and also clearing your HDD cache - if that doesn't help its probably a hardware problem. Might be a sign of hard drive wear or graphics card issues.

Yeah, my copy of Last Light is running flawlessly on 360. The framerate has been very stable thus far. I also must say that Last Light is without a doubt one of the best looking games I've played this generation. The 360 still manages to surprise me sometimes with how much juice it has left in the tank.

ultron87

How much do I have left?
I just got out of the Red Line area and am on the Blacksmiths' railcar thing.
I'm returning my copy to Redbox for a few days because I have no time today or tomorrow, but I'd like to know if I can pick it back up at some point and finish in a night or if more time is needed.

Top Bottom