• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date
I'm just not feeling this. I'm at
Venice
. The first game felt so much more dire and dark. Like everything, from the environments to the music to the story. The societies in this game honestly feel more organized, more successful, and less desperate. Everything in general feels less makeshift. There's just...abundance everywhere.

You don't see this as a natural evolution from the first game?

You found D6 which has enough power for ages, and everyone wants a piece of it. I don't know why you'd expect a sequel to a depressing, desperate situation be even more desperate.

In terms of gameplay, I'll agree there's abundance of ammo on Ranger Hardcore but then I barely shoot guns so I'm not worried about the balance.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
You don't see this as a natural evolution from the first game?

You found D6 which has enough power for ages, and everyone wants a piece of it. I don't know why you'd expect a sequel to a depressing, desperate situation be even more desperate.

In terms of gameplay, I'll agree there's abundance of ammo on Ranger Hardcore but then I barely shoot guns so I'm not worried about the balance.

No, it doesn't follow for me. It's only been a year. Things are way too vibrant for me. Things are downright jubilant in places! It should be even more desperate as an all out war for D6 is underway. I just don't get the sense (at least so far) that humanity is struggling to survive at all. I mean there are fresh fish ("fish") for sale in the market!

The spookiness of the first game is gone for me. No moments like Khan's Tunnel, no quiet exploring when you hear the monster bell alarms ringing in the distance...it just feels very manufactured. It's beautiful and it plays very nicely, but the entire first third of the game is essentially noninteractive and the next major section didn't work for me.

I was a huuuge fan of the first so I'm just being a little hard on this one, but the game just feels...cleaner to me. Cleaner, brighter. Like the one sole moment of brightness in the first that sticks out to me is when you get that two second glimpse of Polis. Here I feel like you're around liveliness quite a bit.

I really like this game! Way better than Crysis 3 ^_^

iSrgOFJ.jpg

Naito

Damn, was trying to get the Shadow Ranger achievement but failed.
I only found out later you can actually knock out the guy on the train in BANDITS.

Ok help.... I am doing a stealth section and the enemies are frozen in place. Killing them leaves them standing and they can't even see me if I stand in front of them. But they still talk :/

Okay it's fixed. Just restarted the chapter

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I just finished the game. Like Y2Kev I didn't like it as much as the 1st which I too adored and thought it's on par with Half-Life or any other big single player brand. This one is competent, I guess. It doesn't break any new ground though, is too easy (on Hardcore, no Ranger DLC bs here) and is marred by the sloppier aspects visible here and there. The ending sections were underwhelming too in my opinion. I really expected better. It also has way too much downtime and scripted sequences which I imagine make it a chore to replay. Those weren't so great the first time around actually, for the most part... Like the out of place
sex scene

Steam says I've played it for 10 hours, I restarted the game twice before going too far, the second time to switch to Hardcore as it had been too easy, so I guess 8 hours sounds about right.

There may be one or two possible side areas I didn't go explore as the game didn't really seem to offer much benefit to that, ammo and stuff were always abundant around the main paths.

Those who finished it can say yes or no:
one spider infested area that didn't seem mandatory to explore and the palace like building with the monsters growling at you as you pass

Steam says I've played the first one for 21 hours. I did try to replay it once but I don't think I got too far so I guess it was quite a bit longer. Maybe.

An open world STALKER game with these production values would be so rad to have though. And easier to excuse the lesser aspects of.

i2MFsZ8cJXLWa.png
ibu61t9QAXMoJT.png
i4pojQWpLJYfV.png
iNXlFdhpzaREJ.png

Well I started playing it and its really noob friendly in begining if you dont have Ranger Mode...

I mean 3 guns, wtf :s...

Metro 2033 had better influence on me than this one...

Only having two guns was a real pain. I often had to let go of my super awesome pimped up gun because I had no bullets left in the cold and dark Moscow ruins.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Only having two guns was a real pain. I often had to let go of my super awesome pimped up gun because I had no bullets left in the cold and dark Moscow ruins.

Yeah that was one of those things I felt was a little too hammed up for Ranger Hardcore mode. I hated that I couldn't have a shotgun with sacrificed ammo capacity on top of my main roster of weapons. Even 2033 let you have a pistol, shotgun and assault rifle at the same time on RH.

Yeah that was one of those things I felt was a little too hammed up for Ranger Hardcore mode. I hated that I couldn't have a shotgun with sacrificed ammo capacity on top of my main roster of weapons. Even 2033 let you have a pistol, shotgun and assault rifle at the same time on RH.

This is honestly my one big complaint. I've got this awesome pneuamtic rifle I want to keep, but I don't want to drop this night-vision bastard gun.

d00d3n

What a fantastic experience to stealth the end of the "separation" level and the "facility" level. No flimsy tracking binoculars, wallhacks or quicksave trial and error to rely on. Just light bulbs to break, electric switches to turn off and opportunities to seize. Going through all of it without killing people was not easy ...

The game just gets better. Why are people hating on the lovely spiders?

Facism

oh god at that room. First time in a long time i've had goosebumps and chills down my spine. Builds up like "that" room in Silent Hill 3.

People who've been there know what and where i'm talking about.

Deadbeat

Banned
I just finished the game. Like Y2Kev I didn't like it as much as the 1st which I too adored and thought it's on par with Half-Life or any other big single player brand. This one is competent, I guess.
I didnt like how the story had horrible stereotypes now with characters
the girl for example
and you sure murdered a ton of people yet it never felt like the desperation between fights the first game brought. Everything is cod-lite now in combat and style. They went too far to mainstreaming it. The stealth aspect was stupid. Instead of enemies being lasers, they now are dumber than bags of sand.

Its a good game, but its not the sequel I wanted.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have a good picture of the control scheme? I don't know what to press in RH.

• Wipe gas mask: tap G
• Activate/take off gas mask: hold G
• Change filter: T (I think)
• Non-lethal takedown: E
• Select secondary: hold down TAB and...
-throwing knives: move the mouse up
-claymores: move the mouse down
-grenades: move the mouse to the left
-incendiary grenades: move the mouse to the right
• Use secondary: C
• Nightvision goggles: N
• Flashlight: tap F
• Universal charger: hold down F
• Melee (trench knife): V
• Lighter + weapon: tap M
• Lighter + journal: hold M
-Turn lighter on/off: left click
-Zoom in on journal: right click

Scarecrow

• Wipe gas mask: tap G
• Activate/take off gas mask: hold G
• Change filter: T (I think)
• Non-lethal takedown: E
• Select secondary: hold down TAB and...
-throwing knives: move the mouse up
-claymores: move the mouse down
-grenades: move the mouse to the left
-incendiary grenades: move the mouse to the right
• Nightvision goggles: N
• Flashlight: tap F
• Recharger: hold down F
• Melee (trench knife): V
• Lighter + weapon: tap M
• Lighter + journal: hold M
-Turn lighter on/off: left click
-Zoom in on journal: right click

Neat, but I'm playing with a controller.

It works perfectly fine for me. Not had a single issue.

What problems are you having?

No matter what I have the sensitivity set to, the camera moves incredibly slowly up and down and diagonally (but it moves quickly side to side). It takes me an eternity just to look around a room because the camera is so slow (although from left to right it's too fast). Very bizarre.

Cramoss

No matter what I have the sensitivity set to, the camera moves incredibly slowly up and down and diagonally (but it moves quickly side to side). It takes me an eternity just to look around a room because the camera is so slow (although from left to right it's too fast). Very bizarre.

Yeah, I've noticed some of that. It can complicate some moments.

Chake

Banned
Okay so i got two things to say.

First, i wanna say that this game was not in my radar till recently. I really adored how it's the same as bioshock in terms of gameplay mixed with heavy themes and a nice story. I just want to believe that there is going to be more FPS with these kind of ideas, instead of arab-killin-dudebros-'mercia!-russiansarebadpeoplethatspeakenglishwithoutareason- kind of games!

Second. This is my third game playing on a gaming laptop, and i just want to say that playing on keybord + mouse is a pain. A handful of people pointed out that the K&M are one of the pros of being a pc gamer, but how could you play with so many button so far away? Don't get me wrong, i like playing with a mouse better than an analog, but i just don't get how a billion buttons (where you only use like 8 of them) are better than a controller buttons, which are nicely tied together.

Nemesis_

So, on the levels BANDITS, does anyone know how to clear it without killing anyone? The reason I ask is that I've done a good job taking out everyone non-lethally, but I need to move a railcar in the middle of the track to progress.

This is in that area with the burning heap of junk in the middle.

I can't actually get on top of the railcar to take out this last guy though - he is unreachable and firing at me and I cant get close enough to initiate the knock out animation.

I assume taking out this last dude will get that male hostage further down to help me move the car.

Help? :p

DukeBobby

So, on the levels BANDITS, does anyone know how to clear it without killing anyone? The reason I ask is that I've done a good job taking out everyone non-lethally, but I need to move a railcar in the middle of the track to progress.

This is in that area with the burning heap of junk in the middle.

I can't actually get on top of the railcar to take out this last guy though - he is unreachable and firing at me and I cant get close enough to initiate the knock out animation.

I assume taking out this last dude will get that male hostage further down to help me move the car.

Help? :p

If he's firing at you, you probably won't be able to get him.

When he's in his neutral state, sat down in the railcar, approach from the left side and just spam the knockout button/key when you are next to him. This is how I did it, but it may not work for others. That particular guard seems to be a common problem for those doing a no kill playthrough.

Sometimes I wish they gave you a tranquillizer gun or something. Although, that would probably make the stealth even easier than it actually is.

Shady859

So if you have not played the first one..... Which is better? Was thinking of Redboxing the new one on 360 but own the first on Steam from when it was free..

Cerity

So if you have not played the first one..... Which is better? Was thinking of Redboxing the new one on 360 but own the first on Steam from when it was free..

first is better for story.
LL better for gameplay.

also tempted to replay this.

edit: if anyone wants to skip the intro videos, just rename intro.ogv, intro_dark.ogv and legal.ogv

firen

I don't know if I'll ever play/beat this game but I saw a screenshot of the ending on Kim Dotcom's Twitter feed. -_-

kotor22

Ok help.... I am doing a stealth section and the enemies are frozen in place. Killing them leaves them standing and they can't even see me if I stand in front of them. But they still talk :/

Okay it's fixed. Just restarted the chapter

I'm having the opposite of that problem actually, I can't move when I open a door and the enemies see me, all I can do is look around both on controller and KB, and even a little further out in the same area ( where I thought I'd just avoid that door all together) just randomly freezes my movement, it happens a little after the
railcar is damaged
I'll have to try to restart the chapter, I reload checkpoint many times but it doesn't fix it.

Oh wow, this game is unplayable with a 360 controller on PC. Worst controller implementation I've ever seen.
Yeah for me it's actually like moving slightly to the right , but I think it might be my controller 'cause it does the same thing in Crysis 3 so weird . .

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Such a great campaign but I kind of missed some of the slow pacing and horror centric moments from the first game. I missed having that "Library" scenario in 2033 with this but it's still a great sequel none the less.

Also loved the old stories such as three musketeers and the Spartans being heavily retold in a different way with this chapter. So good.

Such a great campaign but I kind of missed some of the slow pacing and horror centric moments from the first game. I missed having that "Library" scenario in 2033 with this but it's still a great sequel none the less.

Also loved the old stories such as three musketeers and the Spartans being heavily retold in a different way with this chapter. So good.

There seems to also be a reference to the movie Stalker in the game that I really liked.

Anyone else really excited for the potential of coop and SDK releases?

An SDK for this game would be great. I would probably just ill test levels with AI entities and fight them for ever.... or remakes or levels from RTCW or something. :D

Woo-Fu

Banned
I spent an hour with it, quickly grew bored from all the cutscenes briefly interrupted by chances to wipe the visor of my gas mask. Don't think I have the patience for story-driven content that I can't speed up the delivery of. I'll read the book instead.

Divius

Played for a bit yesterday and today, just arrived in
Venice
(right after the part where you fight off bigass
shrimp
). The atmosphere of the game is still great and it feels a more polished than its prequel, but I wish there was a bit less handholding and less npc's along your side.

Also playing on normal was a mistake, this is way too easy. Don't think I've used a medkit even once.

Where can I pick up NVG's? I have some on my weapons now but I'm wondering if/where there are regular NVG's (I guess there are, since they were in the 1st game as well).

Vitor711

OK, I'm waiting for an elevator in some caverns, with spawning monsters every few seconds and NO DAMN AMMO.

I have no idea how I'm meant to beat this section. Apparently it comes straight before a puzzle-boss fight.

Anyone have any tips? I was loving the game previously, with Ranger mode the perfect difficulty balance but now I'm just super frustrated.

OK, I'm waiting for an elevator in some caverns, with spawning monsters every few seconds and NO DAMN AMMO.

I have no idea how I'm meant to beat this section. Apparently it comes straight before a puzzle-boss fight.

Anyone have any tips? I was loving the game previously, with Ranger mode the perfect difficulty balance but now I'm just super frustrated.

Sounds srtange.... but how did you lose all your ammo?

I remember that part and on ranger hardcore I had quite a bit of ammo still.
Perhaps you should try a chapter reload?

Amon-Lau

Also playing on normal was a mistake, this is way too easy. Don't think I've used a medkit even once.
Go hardcore first playthough, It's a pretty nice difficulty if ya wanna leave a Ranger mode playthrough later like I'm doing~ :3

Where can I pick up NVG's? I have some on my weapons now but I'm wondering if/where there are regular NVG's (I guess there are, since they were in the 1st game as well).
You should be getting them REAL soon, just be sure to look around so you don't miss it~ ;D

If ya just wanna know where and don't wanna search then
You'll find it in the second floor of a broken house in the second part of the swamps,
if you miss that you can find another pair
in the Execution room after the cave level.

teokrazia

In Metro 2033 I liked the stealth, not so deep or polished, but with a engaging taste of good old things, reminding me somehow Thief. In the other hand I found gunfights unsatisfying and with a costant broken feeling.
In Last Light to me is happening is the exact opposite: stealth feels dumb and spoiled, while facing human enemies with a frontal approach is pretty funny (better if not abusing of frag nades, due the tendency of soldiers to not avoid them).

Vitor711

Sounds srtange.... but how did you lose all your ammo?

I remember that part and on ranger hardcore I had quite a bit of ammo still.
Perhaps you should try a chapter reload?

Ranger mode and I ran out of shotgun shells getting here. Didn't buy everything I could in the store in the church and then just ran out facing the enemies on the way here. I've had friends who had a similar experience.

I might try using all my secondary ammo and see if that works but these bastards jump around so much I doubt I can hit them with a molotov or grenade (which you can't seem to cook?).

Amon-Lau

Ranger mode and I ran out of shotgun shells getting here. Didn't buy everything I could in the store in the church and then just ran out facing the enemies on the way here. I've had friends who had a similar experience.

I might try using all my secondary ammo and see if that works but these bastards jump around so much I doubt I can hit them with a molotov or grenade (which you can't seem to cook?).
Have you tried stealthing some of the mobs in the caves with knives to cut down on wasting ammo? I recall I saved up quite a lot taking them down one by one while they ate on the bodies, the only parts that won't work is when you get ambushed after you hear the boss howl but other then that it's doable... :eek:

Top Bottom