• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Playing this game on Nvidia 3d vision, with full depth and convergence. Mind was blown! I was there! The stages outside in Moscow felt amazing. I literally felt as if I as there. Wow! I am so glad this game was my first 3d vision experience. I don't even want to play games any other way now. Wow, just wow!

Playing this game on Nvidia 3d vision, with full depth and convergence. Mind was blown! I was there! The stages outside in Moscow felt amazing. I literally felt as if I as there. Wow! I am so glad this game was my first 3d vision experience. I don't even want to play games any other way now. Wow, just wow!

Metro is one of the few games with basically perfect 3d. A lot of other games do not consider it sometimes as much or have very broken support (lighting is usuall completely broken).

Metro is really great in 3d though.

reektann

When you wipe your mask normally, you do it with your palm.. when you wipe your mask with your lighter out, you use the back of your hand as you would drop the lighter if not. I appreciate this touch.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Did they retcon some of the story? In the first game, Artyom said he was born just a bit before the bombs fell. But in this game (in the very beginning), he has very vivid memories of being in the regular world with his mother. Slight change?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ranger mode and I ran out of shotgun shells getting here. Didn't buy everything I could in the store in the church and then just ran out facing the enemies on the way here. I've had friends who had a similar experience.

I might try using all my secondary ammo and see if that works but these bastards jump around so much I doubt I can hit them with a molotov or grenade (which you can't seem to cook?).

I had same issue. Had to use secondary to get through it. Lots of grenades.

cheezcake

Excellent game! Loved the atmosphere and the sound design was incredible.

I got the 'bad' ending in which you and the rangers die, sort of surprised I did. Always took the good route in choices and knocked out enemies almost the entire game.

Very much looking forward to any other Metro games or new IP from 4A games

Did they retcon some of the story? In the first game, Artyom said he was born just a bit before the bombs fell. But in this game (in the very beginning), he has very vivid memories of being in the regular world with his mother. Slight change?

I do not think there is any retconning... considering who wrote the story.
I just think they are so vivid for story purposes... I think he was really young.

Sethos

Banned
I just don't feel like the game is giving me the artistic and creative freedom I require.

15sr89.png

Oreoleo

I can't recall what they said in 2033 the game, but in the books Artyom was alive before humanity had to move underground.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
posted already?

From reddit :D

The story behind this always gives me mixed feelings as I want to laugh and cry at the same time.

------------------------

I currently finishing up 4 games right now so I've restrained myself from playing this yet, but I do have one question. Is Last Light using a checkpoint system similar to it's predecessor or did 4A implement a proper manual saving system?

Amon-Lau

The story behind this always gives me mixed feelings as I want to laugh and cry at the same time.

------------------------

I currently finishing up 4 games right now so I've restrained myself from playing this yet, but I do have one question. Is Last Light using a checkpoint system similar to it's predecessor or did 4A implement a proper manual saving system?
Still the same, checkpoints... :p

DukeBobby

Checkpoint system.

Truant

I liked the vehicle section. Kinda weird having an "open ended" style level that was on a rail. Weird, but it worked. "The Room" (you know what I'm talking about) was fucking scary.

Idle animations are god like in this game.. and some weapons have multiples of them. Shame though that I am pretty sure that there are no idle animations anymore for the generator/knives/grenades.

There is a problem with the idle animation on the Mosin Nagant like Rifle. It freezes at the end of it sadly :(.. for me at least

Great video showing off idle animations.

Hmm. I don't know how I feel about this just yet (I just reached
Venice
). It really does come across more as a Metro 2033 expansion, rather than a bonafide sequel. Set-pieces are recycled and the core gameplay has only been marginally improved. There's also a pervasive and persistent "jankiness" observable throughout; iffy animations that unsettle, sporadic sprinting that completely throws off movement, an abundance of offensive-even-by-QTE-standards QTEs, the fact that shots can be fired before the ADS animation completes, which feels, looks and is completely wrong...

I think my main issue is that even with this iteration, Metro still feels like an average FPS at heart; and with the stealth mechanics seemingly dumbed down for this instalment, I'm just not finding the gameplay, pacing or narrative engaging at all.

This game is so good. Story, gameplay, graphics are much better than Metro 2033. And this game isn't so short like Crysis 3. I am impressed with the amounts of details 4A put in this game. I realised that watch is showing actual time (only when you are not using the gas mask). So I am very happy that I bought it. Now I will wait for sequel or DLCs :)

Gold_Loot

I would be playing this right now if it weren't for my crippling fear of spiders...
Let me just say that for the record, I'm scared shitless of spiders. I usually call my wife into a room to kill a spider (even with a long range spray can) ..

That said, I'm enjoying this game immensely. The spider sections make my skin crawl, but it just adds to the atmosphere, and tension.

ironcreed

Banned
The game looks great, but I am just going to wait. I would likely never touch it again after beating it. Bought Hot Shots Golf instead, lol. I need something without guns, swords and magic to chill with on the side.

DukeBobby

Jesus Christ, the Shadow Ranger achievement is starting to piss me off. It turns out that you are not allowed to kill anybody on the
Chase
chapter.

I've died about 20 times now.

EDIT: Finally did it. Surely I was being 'forced to' kill them, right? Why is this achievement so confusing?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Overall an absolutely fantastic game and I'm going to have to be honest and say I enjoyed it more than Bioshock Infinite too and that's not a slight against BI. I must admit it does feel less oppressive in comparison to Metro 2033 but it's still got a great atmosphere to it and many cool, varying setpieces to it. The last part was cool as fuck. The game reminded me a lot of Half Life 2 but with it's own Metro spin and that's cool. Stealth works well too (though the AI seems a bit too forgiving) but tbh I generally ended up in firefights anyway. That sort of leads into one of my complaints, I really wish they didn't have the breaks between levels with the voiceover. They should have made it one constant journey completely from the eyes of the player with no breaks in the way Half Life 2 (and a few other FPS do, well apart from HL2s loading stops). I think it would have just been more immersive but that's not exactly a major 'fault' just the way they wanted to do things.

Great game anyway, it is a bit different from Metro 2033 but still a damn fine FPS regardless. It makes me chuckle that 4A very likely made this with a lot less money than with Gearbox made Aliens Colonial Marines (sorry I mean Timegate)

amayo15

Banned
Hmm. I don't know how I feel about this just yet (I just reached
Venice
). It really does come across more as a Metro 2033 expansion, rather than a bonafide sequel. Set-pieces are recycled and the core gameplay has only been marginally improved. There's also a pervasive and persistent "jankiness" observable throughout; iffy animations that unsettle, sporadic sprinting that completely throws off movement, an abundance of offensive-even-by-QTE-standards QTEs, the fact that shots can be fired before the ADS animation completes, which feels, looks and is completely wrong...

I think my main issue is that even with this iteration, Metro still feels like an average FPS at heart; and with the stealth mechanics seemingly dumbed down for this instalment, I'm just not finding the gameplay, pacing or narrative engaging at all.

You've got plenty of setpieces to come...some are unlike anything seen in Metro 2033. It's so good I wish I could experience the second half again fresh :D

DukeBobby

I've heard so many people say the ending sucked.

I've not quite finished the game yet (only got a couple of chapters to go), but I doubt a poor ending could spoil how great the game has been in the last few chapters, at least from a gameplay perspective.

However, from a story perspective, I can understand the complaints. It's kind of gone off the deep end.

I failed to unlock that achievement, it seems you're only allowed to kill
the flamethrower guy at the end.

Yeah, the achievement is bullshit. You should be able to kill enemies when you are forced into a combat situation with them.

Uh, just had the game crash during the
quarantine
level. I'm replaying the game and I had weird stability issues with the beginning of the level on my first playthrough. Upon restarting the game I am now completely unable to move once the level starts. Restarted the level twice and still have the issue. Even hitting esc doesn't do anything.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to have to replay the last level. Very strange.

This game is seriously overstaying its welcome for me. I just reached
Polis
, which I'm guessing is pretty close to the endgame, but seriously... When does it fucking end?! I'm contemplating not even bothering. It has just gotten silly and the pacing is all over the joint.

It's a 6-7 out of 10 for me, at best. The story is a mess and the gameplay is sketchy and repetitive; it feels derivative of Metro 2033.

Its ultimate downfall lies in the fact that it simply doesn't bring enough 'new' to the table. Sure, it's a refinement of its predecessor, but that just isn't enough. Metro 2033 was fresh because it was the first of its kind in many ways. Now, however, the franchise has seemingly "pulled an Assassin's Creed". It is what AC: Revelations is to Brotherhood when it should be what AC2 is to AC1.

The atmosphere is great, yes, but I feel like I'm slogging through the exact same game with the exact same iffy shooting and traversal mechanics. If you've played a respected AAA shooter that isn't CoD, it's pretty apparent that Metro still has a long way to go as far as raw mechanics are concerned. And to be honest, I feel like a lot of the overwhelming praise that it garners is largely due to the fact that it's "cool" and "admirable" for developers to go this route with a game; to lay it on thick with the atmosphere and cinematic flair. And hey, I'm all for that, but the familiarity is a serious downer when your game is already that linear and scripted.

Just finished this last night, with the 'bad' ending. MINI BLOG POST INCOMING

Im a huge 2033 fan, finished it 3 times on 360 and clocked 40 hours on it on steam. So yeah, im a fan. I was so worried this game was going to suck hard given THQs insistence on wasting time shoehorning in coop and MP, and after seeing how Darksiders 2 was ruined i was fully prepared for the worst.
The early videos showing Artyom mowing down a station of soldiers with a gatling gun did nothing to assuage my fears that LL was going to be Dudebroed and Michael Bay'ed.

I am glad to admit i was almost 100% wrong. Yeah it gets a bit more action-ey at the end but it fits with the story and whats happening. The overall tone is a bleak and depressing as 2033, and i love it. The start is a little slow, but once you get to the first outdoor section and the plane, was when everything picked up for me. The story bits, the slower paced exploration moments are actually increased over 2033, the 2nd half of the game is just brimming with them, and theyre absolutely fantastic. The emergence from underground into
Red Square
was literally jaw dropping. I couldnt believe my PC was producing stuff this amazing looking. The atmosphere was astounding. The walk through the
dead city
too will go down as possibly the most memorable moment in a game this year for me. The game does have some rather unnecessary nudity and the stuff in venice is a bit tasteless, it didnt bother me however, but one thing i did think it handled exceptionally well was in side mission on the railcar section, the
rape
scene. I found it pretty shocking, but not gratuitous or done for any kind of titillation. I was genuinely just left thinking "holy shit" after it. After not killing many soldiers that far, i went on a bandit killing spree after seeing that, and the horrible way they were executing the men..
"what are you, a a man, or a whore?!"

The story itself i thought was pretty good, i played with russian voice overs and english subs, which i find makes it alot more bearable as the english voicework didnt sound great from what i heard of it. I was never confused as to what my mission was, who i was chasing or why, which is always a bonus as some games seem to be incapable of getting the basics of a story like that correct. But aside fromt he mains tory, the real story in LL is the stuff you overhear, the locations you visit, the flashbacks you see, that really ties it all together.

Another mention should go to the AI partners you get, theyre all pretty enjoyable to be around, never get in your field of fire, never blocked any doors for me etc. I found the
dark one
particularly cool, especially when he was disguised as a
kid in polis,
his animations were nothing short of incredible.

so yeah, to say i enjoyed this game is an understatement. Kudos to 4a for pulling off such a story focused, depressing, bleak FPS in a time when every FPS seem to have to appeal to the mass market.

Just finished this last night, with the 'bad' ending. MINI BLOG POST INCOMING

Im a huge 2033 fan, finished it 3 times on 360 and clocked 40 hours on it on steam. So yeah, im a fan. I was so worried this game was going to suck hard given THQs insistence on wasting time shoehorning in coop and MP, and after seeing how Darksiders 2 was ruined i was fully prepared for the worst.
The early videos showing Artyom mowing down a station of soldiers with a gatling gun did nothing to assuage my fears that LL was going to be Dudebroed and Michael Bay'ed.

I am glad to admit i was almost 100% wrong. Yeah it gets a bit more action-ey at the end but it fits with the story and whats happening. The overall tone is a bleak and depressing as 2033, and i love it. The start is a little slow, but once you get to the first outdoor section and the plane, was when everything picked up for me. The story bits, the slower paced exploration moments are actually increased over 2033, the 2nd half of the game is just brimming with them, and theyre absolutely fantastic. The emergence from underground into
Red Square
was literally jaw dropping. I couldnt believe my PC was producing stuff this amazing looking. The atmosphere was astounding. The walk through the
dead city
too will go down as possibly the most memorable moment in a game this year for me. The game does have some rather unnecessary nudity and the stuff in venice is a bit tasteless, it didnt bother me however, but one thing i did think it handled exceptionally well was in side mission on the railcar section, the
rape
scene. I found it pretty shocking, but not gratuitous or done for any kind of titillation. I was genuinely just left thinking "holy shit" after it. After not killing many soldiers that far, i went on a bandit killing spree after seeing that, and the horrible way they were executing the men..
"what are you, a a man, or a whore?!"

The story itself i thought was pretty good, i played with russian voice overs and english subs, which i find makes it alot more bearable as the english voicework didnt sound great from what i heard of it. I was never confused as to what my mission was, who i was chasing or why, which is always a bonus as some games seem to be incapable of getting the basics of a story like that correct. But aside fromt he mains tory, the real story in LL is the stuff you overhear, the locations you visit, the flashbacks you see, that really ties it all together.

Another mention should go to the AI partners you get, theyre all pretty enjoyable to be around, never get in your field of fire, never blocked any doors for me etc. I found the
dark one
particularly cool, especially when he was disguised as a
kid in polis,
his animations were nothing short of incredible.

so yeah, to say i enjoyed this game is an understatement. Kudos to 4a for pulling off such a story focused, depressing, bleak FPS in a time when every FPS seem to have to appeal to the mass market.

Great read and impressions! Looks like I have a lot of cool stuff to look forward to further in.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This game is seriously overstaying its welcome for me. I just reached
Polis
, which I'm guessing is pretty close to the endgame, but seriously... When does it fucking end?! I'm contemplating not even bothering. It has just gotten silly and the pacing is all over the joint.

It's a 6-7 out of 10 for me, at best. The story is a mess and the gameplay is sketchy and repetitive; it feels derivative of Metro 2033.

Its ultimate downfall lies in the fact that it simply doesn't bring enough 'new' to the table. Sure, it's a refinement of its predecessor, but that just isn't enough. Metro 2033 was fresh because it was the first of its kind in many ways. Now, however, the franchise has seemingly "pulled an Assassin's Creed". It is what AC: Revelations is to Brotherhood when it should be what AC2 is to AC1.

The atmosphere is great, yes, but I feel like I'm slogging through the exact same game with the exact same iffy shooting and traversal mechanics. If you've played a respected AAA shooter that isn't CoD, it's pretty apparent that Metro still has a long way to go as far as raw mechanics are concerned. And to be honest, I feel like a lot of the overwhelming praise that it garners is largely due to the fact that it's "cool" and "admirable" for developers to go this route with a game; to lay it on thick with the atmosphere and cinematic flair. And hey, I'm all for that, but the familiarity is a serious downer when your game is already that linear and scripted.

I disagree with this. The shooting in this is easily just as good as many other shooters. It's much improved over Metro 2033 as well. I really enjoyed getting into firefights in Last Light whilst in Metro 2033, it was fun but had obvious flaws (like enemy reactions etc)

Top Bottom