• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light |OT| Last bullet. Last breath. Last chance.

• Thread starter Deleted member 102362
  • Start date

Lingitiz

I love the atmosphere and story in 2033 so much, but the awful stealth and combat keep me from sticking with it. I hope LL gets it right because the universe is so interesting.

Watching the IGN video now and the combat looks smoother overall. Stealth seems much more viable as well.

AHA-Lambda

Willing to give this another chance after some mixed feelings on Metro 2033, hope it delivers on it's full potential.

Truant

Never got into 2033 the way I wanted to. I tried both the PC version (a while back before I had my current rig) and the 360 version. Never dug the combat, and I got stuck at a place I can't remember.

I'm re-downloading it on Steam to try it now.

My current rig is a 580, 6gb RAM, and a 920@3.8 ghz. Should hopefully run Last Light on Medium settings.

Got my early access review code today. Embargo lifts on Monday at 9am Pacific. I'll have my review then.

Just curious. Are you getting a console version as well? I've got a 360 copy on the way but for now a PC review code. Figure if I get the 360 version in time, will mention a blurp about that in my review performance wise, etc.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Never got into 2033 the way I wanted to. I tried both the PC version (a while back before I had my current rig) and the 360 version. Never dug the combat, and I got stuck at a place I can't remember.

I'm re-downloading it on Steam to try it now.

My current rig is a 580, 6gb RAM, and a 920@3.8 ghz. Should hopefully run Last Light on Medium settings.

Pretty sure your gonna play on high at 1080p no problem

Riggs

Banned
So I re downloaded Metro 2033 to finish the game, can't even launch it. It launches and freezes on the intro video (the 4A one).

Re downloaded and reinstalled twice. Updated windows (SP1 windows 7)
Latest Nvidia drivers 320.00, clean install
Verified Cache, says 1 file needs re downloading, yet does not download anything
Restarted Machine multiple times

Any ideas? I know this isn't the proper thread, just wondering if anyone has had these problems. I've searched online a lot and people are still having this problem it seems. The error is just windows encountered a problem running the exe, event log shows nothing useful.

Funny thing is I've played Metro 2033 multiple times on this rig, never had a problem launching the game at all. No hardware changes, not sure what the hell is going on.

Searched steam forums and there really seems to be no fix for this, it dates back to release, all the way to march 2013. I am leaning towards C++ redistributable package 2005, someone said uninstall that and re download off Microsoft site. I may do that if it does not run after the 3rd download which is currently going.

Professor Pew

Neo Member
Hey all!

I'm Maurice (@Pewology), the lead CM at Deep Silver. I'll stop lurking and start posting, first with some info about things I get a lot of questions about.

Can my PC run it?

In a nutshell, "recommended" is what you need for a good framerate with high settings on a typical resolution. "Optimum" is for high-end resolutions, 3D, and it gives you something to justify that SLI Titan setup.

A good measuring stick if you are wondering if your specific PC rig will run it well or not:

- i5 with a 560: should run good with most settings on high on 1920x1080
- i7 with 580-680: you're good for 1920x1080
- i7 with a Titan: only necessary for higher resolutions than 1920x1200, with 3D support, and every single thing turned to max.

The 4A Engine is a lot more optimized than Metro 2033 was. So with a bit of tweaking in the settings and the resolution, the game will be playable on a pretty wide range of PCs.

For what it's worth, I've tried running it on my 4 year-old E8400 C2D 3.0Ghz with 4GB RAM and an HD4830 512MB on 1920x1200, using Low settings . On a 4 year old Windows 7 install that takes 18 minutes from cold boot to having a functional Chrome. With 30 tabs, Excel, Powerpoint, and Photoshop open. I would not recommend it at that resolution and that kind of setup.

Answers to a lot of questions from Metro fans

There are a lot of very passionate Metro fans over on the lastlightforum.com. There's a Q&A thread with answers to a lot of very specific questions over here.

Is Metro: Last Light based on a book/the book?

Not quite. Dmitry Glukhovksy wrote Metro 2033 and Metro 2034. Metro 2034 wouldn't have made for a very compelling game, so he wrote the story of Artyom after the events of Metro 2033. Now, the story of Metro: Last Light is being turned into book form by him as Metro 2035.

There's a very nice interview with the author by Patrick Klepek over on Giant Bomb.

Riggs

Banned
Hey Professor Pew, any suggestions for my above post? I really would like to finish the original, plan on buying Last Light. Not sure why I am having these issues, as I have ran this game many times in the past on this exact same machine.

Sorry to bombard you with noob questions right as you arrive, thanks for posting here : )

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Can my PC run it?

The 4A Engine is a lot more optimized than Metro 2033 was. So with a bit of tweaking in the settings and the resolution, the game will be playable on a pretty wide range of PCs.

Gives me some hope. I can run 2033 on High somewhat reliably and on medium no sweat on this C2Q + GTX 460 combo. Adding some more optimization is just what the doctor ordered.

legacyzero

Banned

Welcome to GAF! Appreciate the PC info. I seriously hope for better optimization. Metro 2033 was pretty as hell, but damn, that FPS was all over the place so randomly. Even with my new 670 (because I was playing with a 4890 when I first played) it still dipped in the strangest spots.

Professor Pew

Neo Member
Hey Professor Pew, any suggestions for my above post? I really would like to finish the original, plan on buying Last Light. Not sure why I am having these issues, as I have ran this game many times in the past on this exact same machine.

Sorry to bombard you with noob questions right as you arrive, thanks for posting here : )

I honestly have no idea. Other than restarting Steam and/or redownloading it again in its entirety (in case it just refuses to "fix" whatever file it won't verify) I don't have any tech suggestions for that :/

Welcome to GAF! Appreciate the PC info. I seriously hope for better optimization. Metro 2033 was pretty as hell, but damn, that FPS was all over the place so randomly. Even with my new 670 (because I was playing with a 4890 when I first played) it still dipped in the strangest spots.

Metro 2033 is notorious for punishing hardware, which is why it's still being used as a benchmark tool.

4A Games didn't have as much time to work on optimization for Metro 2033 like they had for Last Light. If you have something like an i5 or equivalent to go alongside that 670, that will do the job very nicely!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Hey all!

I'm Maurice (@Pewology), the lead CM at Deep Silver. I'll stop lurking and start posting, first with some info about things I get a lot of questions about.

There's a very nice interview with the author by Patrick Klepek over on Giant Bomb.

Heya! Welcome to the thread.

The Giant Bomb interview was the first time I'd ever heard Dmitry's voice. I was surprised to learn he's so proficient at languages.

legacyzero

Banned
Metro 2033 is notorious for punishing hardware, which is why it's still being used as a benchmark tool.

4A Games didn't have as much time to work on optimization for Metro 2033 like they had for Last Light. If you have something like an i5 or equivalent to go alongside that 670, that will do the job very nicely!

Awww YISS. I'm ready for at least recommended, although I'm thinking of throwing another 670 in this baby.

Thanks for responding I guess.

Did you try verifying the game cache in Steam? Otherwise, redownloading heals all IMO. Well most all.

This is all awesome and I'm really glad you posted that. Everyone was thinking it would be impossible to run the game maxed out.

My 670 and 3570k are ready !!

/BROFIST

That's my setup. Also thinking about trying to learn how to OC this stuff. Shit scares me though.

Hey all!

- i7 with a Titan: only necessary for higher resolutions than 1920x1200, with 3D support, and every single thing turned to max.

This is all awesome and I'm really glad you posted that. Everyone was thinking it would be impossible to run the game maxed out.

If you have something like an i5 or equivalent to go alongside that 670, that will do the job very nicely!

Lol missed this before posting, which pretty much backs up my rig will be golden :D

Riggs

Banned
Ya legacy :(

Thanks En Ex, just odd that this game has run before on this same machine, with the same hard ware. Obviously drivers for video card have changed over the years. But who knows.

I've even tried reinstalling the C++ redistributable's , just going to uninstall and watch the endings for 2033 on youtube. Been working on this all day, not formatting for this lol.

Funny thing is if you look on the steam forums, other people are still having this problem. I got posts from March 2013 about this.

Karak

Hey all!

Can my PC run it?

In a nutshell, "recommended" is what you need for a good framerate with high settings on a typical resolution. "Optimum" is for high-end resolutions, 3D, and it gives you something to justify that SLI Titan setup.

A good measuring stick if you are wondering if your specific PC rig will run it well or not:

For what it's worth, I've tried running it on my 4 year-old E8400 C2D 3.0Ghz with 4GB RAM and an HD4830 512MB on 1920x1200, using Low settings . On a 4 year old Windows 7 install that takes 18 minutes from cold boot to having a functional Chrome. With 30 tabs, Excel, Powerpoint, and Photoshop open. I would not recommend it at that resolution and that kind of setup.

There are a lot of very passionate Metro fans over on the lastlightforum.com. There's a Q&A thread with answers to a lot of very specific questions over here.

Not quite. Dmitry Glukhovksy wrote Metro 2033 and Metro 2034. Metro 2034 wouldn't have made for a very compelling game, so he wrote the story of Artyom after the events of Metro 2033. Now, the story of Metro: Last Light is being turned into book form by him as Metro 2035.

Thanks for the information post. Can't wait to play it and review it. Excited to see the improvements to the engine as well!

Hawk SE

Just curious. Are you getting a console version as well? I've got a 360 copy on the way but for now a PC review code. Figure if I get the 360 version in time, will mention a blurp about that in my review performance wise, etc.

No, I had only requested the PC version. I didn't know if you requested console, you'd get a PC code as well.

Lol missed this before posting, which pretty much backs up my rig will be golden :D

I have the same specs, although my 670 is a 4GB model. Should be set to go for max then, so happy <3

Edit, the EVGA GTX670 I have.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea this was coming out so soon... Definitely getting this on PC.

Sweet news. I plan on maxing the game out with my i5 750 @ 4ghz, 12gb ram, gtx 670 2gb. I game at 1440*900 cuz im a master race peasant.

I played through metro 2033 on the same CPU with 4gb ram and an HD 4870 512mb on high. Very pretty game and im definitely grabbing last light.

Question about the possibility of a PS4 version, that a definite at this point? I always wanted to play Metro 2033, but I didn't have a 360 or a PC that could run it, hence I'm excited to play Last Light on my PS3, but if there is definitely going to be a PS4 version.....I might wait.

Geez, you need an i7 for this? i5's not even enough anymore? Ridiculous.

Wonder how AMD CPU's do.

Also I love how the system requirements dont even acknowledge AMD exists...

Also the gfx in the youtube arent impressive, hope that's the 360 version?

Then again demanding or no, personally Metro games have never impressed me graphically.

IMO Nvidia did great to score this though. I want it pretty much more than all the AMD bundled games combined.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I remember grabbing an i5 over an i7 way back when because pffft like I'm ever going to need that hyperthreading. Starting to think I probably shouldn't have gone the i7, for investments sake.

Oh well. i5@4.3Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GTX 670 2GB. Hoping to have a solid framerate with everything maxed, anti-aliasing excluded.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hopefully they allow proper tweaking of the settings this time around. Metro 2033 was extremely limited in this regard.

TJP

Anyone recieve their M:LL-LE product key yet? I've received mine from GamersGate but it doesn't show as the LE version in Steam.

I guess my monitors max res being 1680x1050 helps in that unless im downsampling, it should keep a bit of strain off my Q6600, 560ti setup :/

Still i can run metro on high and keep 60fps, so fingers crossed for LL

Hey all!

Can my PC run it?

I've been trying to get the best performance in Last Light, but I can't seem to hit something that works for me. What would you recommend I turn off/on with the following:

- i5 @ 3.30GHz
- 8 GB Ram
- Windows 7
- Radeon 7970

The game seems to be a bit sluggish as soon as I fire a gun (running 1920x1080, Very High, 4x Texture Filtering, V-Sync on, Tesselation and Motion Blur at Normal)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I remember grabbing an i5 over an i7 way back when because pffft like I'm ever going to need that hyperthreading. Starting to think I probably shouldn't have gone the i7, for investments sake.

I opted to cough up the premium for the 2600K simply because I didn't trust Intel to gets its thumb out of its arse and offer "mainstream" hex/octo-core CPUs in the near future. The decision proved to be a wise one! All optimistic eyes are on next year's Broadwell, but I have to say I won't be at all surprised if those of us who don't want to spend $500+ on a CPU will have to wait until 2015's Skylake for a chance to get out of this quad-core hole Intel has dug.

Top Bottom